Geocaching with boy scouts?

mdpenney

I once did a Geocaching demo for a Camporee. About 5 troops went through that day. It went okay, things got kinda crazy with the larger groups, but the smaller groups of only 4-5 kids seemed to pay more attention and ask questions. They all appeared to have fun with it.

Only incident was one of the boys honestly forgot he had the GPS in his pocket when he left. That was okay because it was a Garmin Rhino. I did a quick inventory of the units after they left and watched him stop dead in his tracks about 150ft away when I keyed up the 2-way and asked who had this GPS. <_<

I think the biggest mistake was trying to give them an intro speech. By the end of the day I figured out to just distribute the GPS units, give a very brief explanation of what they were for, and let them start asking what to do with them. Once they asked, I had their attention and they were interested in finding the cache.

I have used Geocaching to supplement the drudgery of the five mile hike. You cannot replace the GPS for map and compass on advancement requirements. I have my Scouts compute bearing and distance to get us close to the cache, then have used the GPS to get us to the final.

I also have started a Venturing Crew with a geocaching specialty.

I am an Eagle Scout and active member of my District working on Camporees and Webelos Woods events. I am thinking of using Geocaching as an activity in my next event. It seems like Geocaching and Scouting go to together very nicely. I remember going on hikes as a scout and always finding a neat spot or a small lost treasure or a weird stone and that would always be the highlight of the hike.

Map and compass skills are critical for scouting -- need to know for basic advancement (up to First Class), and also helpful when the batteries run out. I still carry that stuff when geocaching in unfamiliar territory.

That said, it is a great activity for the guys. It gives everybody a goal on hikes, and it is great for developing observation skills.

wow, i thought i was the only Eagle Scout around here. i found out that in my troop that there is another cacher, which ive been trying to go caching with. havent seen him in a while. we got (meaning the boy scouts) a badge called Orienteering, in which we gotta use a map and compass and find WAYPOINTS in the woods that are somewhat hidden. using that knowledge, half of the 53 caches i found so far was without a GPS, and just using googlemaps and my brain

Most of the threads about geocaching and scouting (both boy scouts and girl scouts) are over in the "Organized Geocaching" forum.

Some points. Not going to repeat some that others have already pointed out.

Scouting is not ignorant of geocaching. The BSA included geocaching at the 2005 National Jamboree, and has been doing scouting/geocaching training at Philmont and incorporated geocaching in its new youth leader training. I would expect them to do the same at the 2010 Jamboree. Some have talking about getting the BSA to do a geocaching award (like Snorkeling BSA, etc) or a merit badge. We'll see what happens.

There are many scouters who cache. There are many scouting-related caches out there. Many scouters have done geocaching info sessions/training at camporees, scout shows, merit badge colleges, university of scouting events and more. I've done this, and know of other scouters who do the same.

There are troops and packs who cache, and I am aware of atleast one Venturing Crew who specialized in caching (they put out a geocoin).

There are a few scouting-related geocoins.

Most of the threads about geocaching and scouting (both boy scouts and girl scouts) are over in the "Organized Geocaching" forum.

Some points. Not going to repeat some that others have already pointed out.

Scouting is not ignorant of geocaching. The BSA included geocaching at the 2005 National Jamboree, and has been doing scouting/geocaching training at Philmont and incorporated geocaching in its new youth leader training. I would expect them to do the same at the 2010 Jamboree. Some have talking about getting the BSA to do a geocaching award (like Snorkeling BSA, etc) or a merit badge. We'll see what happens.

There are many scouters who cache. There are many scouting-related caches out there. Many scouters have done geocaching info sessions/training at camporees, scout shows, merit badge colleges, university of scouting events and more. I've done this, and know of other scouters who do the same.

There are troops and packs who cache, and I am aware of atleast one Venturing Crew who specialized in caching (they put out a geocoin).

There are a few scouting-related geocoins.