Lowrance iFinder Expedition C

tazmann910

hello all, I am new to all of this stuff and just ordered me a Lowrance iFinder Expedition C to use for Geocaching and also use for when I 4Wheel my jeep. The unit should be at my house around thrusday or friday. I have done multiple searchs on this forum and it has been very helpful...but I have a few questions...

Anyone have any guidance or advice for me about this unit? I have a list of questions that I would appreciate if you guys could help out.

1) I have a friend who has the Lowrance XOG, will we be able to exchange SD cards for Maps?

2) Also anyone know where I can get a cheap mount?

3) Do I really need the cable to hook it to my computer?

4) Could my friend and I share the Mapcrate software to create maps for our units? <_<

5) anything else would be helpful?

Congrats! I've owned an H20 and an H20C. Both great units!

To your questions:

1) I believe so.

2) I got a cheap vent mount from Ebay.

3) Not unless you intend on connecting it to a laptop for navigation.

4) Yes

5) Go to Lowrance.com/downloads/ and download one of the iFinder product Emulators. It's like having the unit on your PC and a great way to learn how to use it before you even get it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I have a few more questions.

6) What SD card brand and size should i get? I really only want to have one card.

7) Suggestions on batteries, just buy some alkline or invest in some rechargable. If so what kind of rechargable and what ratings?

8) Do you have to have the "special" card reader to load the maps to an SD card or can I just use the SD card reader I already have?

Thanks again for all the info.

Congrats! I've owned an H20 and an H20C. Both great units!

To your questions:

1) I believe so.

2) I got a cheap vent mount from Ebay.

3) Not unless you intend on connecting it to a laptop for navigation.

4) Yes

5) Go to Lowrance.com/downloads/ and download one of the iFinder product Emulators. It's like having the unit on your PC and a great way to learn how to use it before you even get it.

Good luck!

I'm not so sure about the maps. I don't know much about the XOG, but the Lowrance site indicates that it has its own onboard turn-by-turn NAVTEQ maps, with additional satellite, etc. maps available for download. You can't use these maps on an iFinder. Also, the XOG says it works with plug-and-play cards like FreedomMaps and Fishing Hotspots, but doesn't indicate support for MapCreate. It appears both the XOG and iFinder can use the plug-and-play cards, but only the iFinder can use MapCreate. Not sure about that, but that's the impression the web site gives me.

Definitely get the iFinder product emulator, but also download the manual for the Expedition. Lowrance is pretty notorious for less-than-fully-understandable manuals, and a number of features aren't discussed, but it will give you some good information and help you play with the emulator.

I'd also put some pretty hard thought into a screen protector as the iFinder's screen is not recessed. I use an InvisibleShield and it is great. It looks like they're only $5 right now.

For memory cards, I don't think you need to go too big. I have a 512 in my Expedition and it holds alot of detail. I have a good portion of western PA, and parts of NY, OH, and WV in one map that is less than 30 MB. The results of a 500 cache pocket query fit into a .usr file less than 100 KB, including hints.

Some people have had differing degrees of success with different brands of card. Airmapper's site has a thread or two with additional details. It seems that the biggest trouble is with 2GB cards. It also seems that SanDisk provides the best results. That's what I use.

I use rechargeable batteries in mine, and would suggest you do the same if you intend to use it frequently. I just have a few pairs of Energizer rechargeables. They were the highest capacity I could find at the time in my local Best Buy, but I don't remember if they are 2800 or 3000 or what. It seems, based on what I've read, that Maha makes better batteries and chargers, but I'm happy enough with what I have. My Expedition runs forever on a fresh set of batteries. I think you'll get tired of buying and throwing away alkalines if you use the iFinder alot.

I'm pretty sure you have to have the Lowrance-branded card reader to write maps to the storage card. You don't have to use the special reader to transfer waypoints, routes, etc. that would be in a .usr file.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a very descriptive response. You answered all my questions. I guess I am going to have to really play with this thing when I get it to understand all the funtionality of what can and cannot be loaded onto the SD cards.

I ordered Mapcrate 7 with the special card reader this morning and should have it be the end of the week. So I will test this out with my buddy to see if we can load the maps on to the XOG. I would think that since Lowrance does not advertise any other mapping software that Mapcrate would work with the XOG. I guess we will see.

I will get some rechargables and then carry some regular alklines as back ups for the long weekend adventures.

Any other advisements that anyone wants to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

Wait a minute. Did you order the iFinder and MapCreate separately? Usually, they can be ordered much cheaper bundled together in a "Plus" package. I throw this out there in case you ordered both from the same place and can maybe cancel and order the plus.

The MapCreate bundle comes with a 64MB card, so that should get you started and you can get a bigger card if you find you need it.

My MapCreate bundle came with a 512mb card.

I use Energizer rechargeables and they work great, I get at least 15 hrs battery usage. I carry some regular batteries as backups just in case.

I also recommend the the GPX to USR utility that Lowrance has which will put the cache info onto your card. It uses the cache symbols and puts the hint and other info in.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a very descriptive response. You answered all my questions. I guess I am going to have to really play with this thing when I get it to understand all the funtionality of what can and cannot be loaded onto the SD cards.

I ordered Mapcrate 7 with the special card reader this morning and should have it be the end of the week. So I will test this out with my buddy to see if we can load the maps on to the XOG. I would think that since Lowrance does not advertise any other mapping software that Mapcrate would work with the XOG. I guess we will see.

I will get some rechargables and then carry some regular alklines as back ups for the long weekend adventures.

I use a 1 gig card in my iFinder Hunt, and before you buy too many rechargables I would suggest trying some of the hybrid batteries. Even though they are only rated 2000 or 2100 mAh, depending on the brand, from what I have seen they will outlast the higher rated mAh regular rechargables, in fact I am slowly switching over to all hybrids.

Excuse my stupidity, but what are hybrid batteries, I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you please provide a link to said batteries.

OK, I received my unit tonight, and I have been playing with it and cannot figure out how to key in Lat/Lon Cords...Any help with this...

Thanks

I use a 1 gig card in my iFinder Hunt, and before you buy too many rechargables I would suggest trying some of the hybrid batteries. Even though they are only rated 2000 or 2100 mAh, depending on the brand, from what I have seen they will outlast the higher rated mAh regular rechargables, in fact I am slowly switching over to all hybrids.

Edited by tazmann910

Excuse my stupidity, but what are hybrid batteries, I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you please provide a link to said batteries.

OK, I received my unit tonight, and I have been playing with it and cannot figure out how to key in Lat/Lon Cords...Any help with this...

Thanks

It should have have the same menu as my Hunt. To manually enter a waypoint press enter and you will get a screen with create at the top. Use the down arrow key to toggle down the the way you want to enter the waypoint, click the circle then go back up and highlight create and press enter.

Edited by DWBur

Excellent, thanks for the help DWBur, just tried it and it worked out great.

See, the manual does not have this info in it...if it does, i could not find it.

Thanks again.

Thanks

It should have have the same menu as my Hunt. To manually enter a waypoint press enter and you will get a screen with create at the top. Use the down arrow key to toggle down the the way you want to enter the waypoint, click the circle then go back up and highlight create and press enter.

I ended up running it thru the top thru the rubber piece and the plastic underneath.

I did not run it on the bottom hole because that is where the car power cord clips in and I did not want the sting getting caught.

on the bottom on the back, there is an opening right below the battery cover that the wrist strap gets looped through.

I ended up running it thru the top thru the rubber piece and the plastic underneath.

I did not run it on the bottom hole because that is where the car power cord clips in and I did not want the sting getting caught.

on the bottom on the back, there is an opening right below the battery cover that the wrist strap gets looped through.

The problem with the way you are doing it the weight of the GPS may in time pull the rubber loose. What I use is the lanyard off a PNY brand flash drive and tie it where it goes on the bottom, I think all of the PNY flash drives come with a lanyard. The lanyard has a real thin cord that reminds me of fishing line and is attached to a quick release clip. This way I can clip the lanyard on and hang it around my neck for when I need both hands free.

Edited by DWBur

1) I have a friend who has the Lowrance XOG, will we be able to exchange SD cards for Maps?

Don't know

I use a RAM mount. I found them to be of good quality and not

overly priced. Not sure what you mean by cheap.

If you are using moving map software like Ozzie Explorer or Fugawi or

some other application that uses the RS232 cable then Yes.

If you are just going to be using the SD cards then No.

4) Could my friend and I share the Mapcreate software to create maps for our units?

You certainly exchange SD cards and they will work fine. You could I suppose each install the

Software from your friend's copy but that would probably violate the software license

from Lowrance.

-a Get a 1G SD card. Provides more space for maps, music and anything that you save from the GPS - Tracks, Waypoints and Routes

-b Get one of those Invisi-shields that are heavily promoted on this site. They will prevent

scratches on the screen. Worth their weight in geo-coins.

-c Be aware that the screen is somewhat difficult to view in direct sunlight - no matter what Lowrance says

Edited by LinXG

6) What SD card brand and size should i get? I really only want to have one card.

1G. SanDisk, Kingston come to mind.

7) Suggestions on batteries, just buy some alkline or invest in some rechargable. If so what kind of rechargable and what ratings?

Really depends on useage. Regular alkalines are OK for occassional use. Rechargeables if you intend to use it a lot. Sanyo are the best because they hold their charge over a long period of time.

Buy lithiums if you are going out in cold weather. They last about 3 times longer than regular batteries and don't lose capacity in cold weather.

8) Do you have to have the "special" card reader to load the maps to an SD card or can I just use the SD card reader I already have?

You need the cardreader supplied by Lowrance. There may be some work arounds to this. Do a search on this site to find out.

Thank you for all the comments.

I got my screen protectors, MapCrate 7, and a mount all within the past few days and let me tell you are i am very happy with all of them.

I got the screen protectors and mount on E-bay for a fair amount.

So far I am very happy with how my Lowrence unit works and how the MapCrate software made a huge improvement.

Don't know

I use a RAM mount. I found them to be of good quality and not

overly priced. Not sure what you mean by cheap.

If you are using moving map software like Ozzie Explorer or Fugawi or

some other application that uses the RS232 cable then Yes.

If you are just going to be using the SD cards then No.

4) Could my friend and I share the Mapcreate software to create maps for our units?

You certainly exchange SD cards and they will work fine. You could I suppose each install the

Software from your friend's copy but that would probably violate the software license

from Lowrance.

-a Get a 1G SD card. Provides more space for maps, music and anything that you save from the GPS - Tracks, Waypoints and Routes

-b Get one of those Invisi-shields that are heavily promoted on this site. They will prevent

scratches on the screen. Worth their weight in geo-coins.

-c Be aware that the screen is somewhat difficult to view in direct sunlight - no matter what Lowrance says