Was it my breath?

StarBrand

It is almost March and already a few of the new area Christmas cachers have put thier GPS units out on the Garage Shelf never to be used for Geocaching again.

Anybody know why so many get excited about it and then fade away? Any great ideas for keeping folks energized about caching? Especially in a semi-rural area. With 110 active hides, I am nearing the limits of caches I can logistically maintain.

I've been doing this for over 6 years now and still feel that rush when I find a cache or spot a new location for one. It is hard for me to understand why 80% or more of cachers that have started up around here have stopped caching after no more than a year or so.

The names and faces at our local events just keep changing.

I don't know. It seems like there are the ones that try it and drop within a couple three months. (sometimes taking a TB with them) and then there are the ones that are totally into it! The middle-ground casual cacher doesn't seem to show up until the 'totally into it' cacher mellows a bit. If they don't mellow, eventually the totally into it cacher burns out. (statistically speaking of course)

Edited by BlueDeuce
It is almost March and already a few of the new area Christmas cachers have put thier GPS units out on the Garage Shelf never to be used for Geocaching again.

Anybody know why so many get excited about it and then fade away? Any great ideas for keeping folks energized about caching? Especially in a semi-rural area. With 110 active hides, I am nearing the limits of caches I can logistically maintain.

I've been doing this for over 6 years now and still feel that rush when I find a cache or spot a new location for one. It is hard for me to understand why 80% or more of cachers that have started up around here have stopped caching after no more than a year or so.

80% of my family quit caching. I'm the only one now. They all quit because they think it's annoying when we go for a hike and have to constantly stop for geocaches. They thought that I was only hiking because they was a geocache on the trail. I proved them wrong by doing some hikes where there was only a terracache on the trail! <_<

But seriously, I think one reason is that some people don't like to cache alone. Some people feel weird looking around by themselves. So we started a local caching events thread where we post when/where we'll be caching so anyone that wants to come along can join us. I think this idea has helped keep people into the game because it adds camaraderie. I know that I've made a lot of friends that way! :lol:

When I first started, the first few caches I did were amazing! Short hikes, walking in the woods, scenic locations, etc. I was hooked! Think about a new geocacher that gets a new GPS for Christmas, goes to the website and probably prints out the nearest cache to their homes. They head out the door and find the GPS pointing them at a fire hydrant next to a busy street.

Would you continue? If my first few caches were these types of caches, I wouldn't have. When I started, the nearest caches to me were in the woods and were cool. Now, if I look at the nearest caches to my home, they are:

1) A magnetic keyholder attached to a fire hydrant

2) A plastic bag shoved under the base of a lamp post (not sure why, maybe I should ask them)

3) a magnetic keyholder under a picnic bench at an elementary school (with permission they say)

4) An altoids tin in a lamppost skirt

5) A multi that takes you on a path through a neighborhood wooded area

#5 was placed several years ago and was one of the first ones I did as a cacher. Great cache. #1,2,3,4 were all placed within the last year.

Draw your own conclusions

80% of my family quit caching. I'm the only one now. They all quit because they think it's annoying when we go for a hike and have to constantly stop for geocaches. They thought that I was only hiking because they was a geocache on the trail. I proved them wrong by doing some hikes where there was only a terracache on the trail! :cry:

But seriously, I think one reason is that some people don't like to cache alone. Some people feel weird looking around by themselves. So we started a local caching events thread where we post when/where we'll be caching so anyone that wants to come along can join us. I think this idea has helped keep people into the game because it adds camaraderie. I know that I've made a lot of friends that way! :D

Actually, I don't mind caching alone when Rooster doesn't feel up to it. I can hike at my own slow pace then without worrying about slowing others down. I think most people who quit early do so after finding one of my geocoins or travel bugs. They then quit and keep it. :lol:

Seriously, it seems to me that more and more people today have limited attention spans. Caching is something new and adventurous, but that quickly fades and is replaced by something newer. We have friends who cached for about a year, and then took up SCUBA. Why not do both? I dunno :lol: I think it's limited free time, and too many transitory interests.

Then again . . . maybe it is your breath <_<

In my opinion the reason is and has been so for the past few years, that people see and hear about the game and get this geewhiz, neato glaze over. They then learn that there are some slightly challenging technical aspects involved. The glaze hardens and turns black, they're done.

Interesting way to put it - I have to agree for the most part.

As a newbie, I can't imagine all the reasons why many drift away. I do know that the frustration of wonky receivers, bad co-ordinates and never knowing if the cache is actually there can sure be frustrating, and maybe some folks just don't want to bother with those variables.

For me, I don't mind easy finds, and don't expect brand names traders - I just like the thrill of the find.

And after all, the attrition does make for some great deals on eBay.

Same reason people start and stop:

Jogging, cycling, reading the Bible, tap lessons, music lessons...basically name any hobby!!

For some people, some things are fun because they are new. When they stop being new, they're not fun anymore. On to the next new thing. Other people, for what ever reason, find certain things entertaining....even if they do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over......

It's just human nature.

Pretty sure that it's Star Brand's breath.

Lots of people try new things, and then decide that it's not for them. That's sort of the way things work, whether it be geocaching or gardening. Try it for a while. Don't like it, try something else. It takes a danged fool dedicated geocacher to keep at it for years. Going on four years, and I'm still having fun.

Then again, even long termers burn out, sometimes. It's sad to see the five and seven year old caches archived because the owner left geocaching. Got married?!? That's no excuse! Removing archived caches from my GPX updates, I notice a few long term cachers archiving a few caches every week. (Okay. At least they are doing that!)

I guess the problem is that most people do sign in to get cache pages. The short-termers are still listed. Met a family of four who geocached after church on Sundays. That was in December of 04. They found 14 caches between December of 04 and April of 05. I guess they decied that geocaching was not for them. Too bad they never put out the two travel bugs they picked up. Geocaching is not for everyone. But it's good that they try it out.

Think it's Star Brand's breath.

No. Some people do not enjoy caching by themselves. My sister enjoys caching, but not by herself. She'll cache with my brother or myself, depending on who's visiting whom. She's done more caching since she found another local to cache with. I've gone an applied for a passport! So, when we help her with the Maine DeLorme Challenge, we can sneak into Canada, so I can color Canada in on my map! Hee hee hee.

When I first started caching 5 years ago, caches were few and far between in my area (there was one within a 5 mile radius of my house, now there are dozens (mostly micros)) and each one was a pleasant find in an interesting location. Now with the proliferation of what I call "undesirable" caches (nanos, micros, caches that seem to have been placed for no other reason than to place a cache), it's harder to weed out the good caches. It's not a numbers game for me, I like to do caches that take me to interesting locations, not random light posts or Walmart. Perhaps they just didn't want to take the time to weed out the good ones and figured it's just not worth it.

Edited by PilotMan
When I first started, the first few caches I did were amazing! Short hikes, walking in the woods, scenic locations, etc. I was hooked! Think about a new geocacher that gets a new GPS for Christmas, goes to the website and probably prints out the nearest cache to their homes. They head out the door and find the GPS pointing them at a fire hydrant next to a busy street.

Would you continue? If my first few caches were these types of caches, I wouldn't have.

My first 5 caches back in 2003 were

1) film canister in a tree

2) film canister under a rock

3) key holder under a bench

4) small jar under a brick

5) bucket labled "Steer Manure" left in the landscaping of a community college building

Nearly five years and one thousand three hundred and sixty caches later I'm still finding them. Obviously I've found better caches then these since, but even newbies should quickly get the idea "this cache is in the woods" and "this cache is in the wal-mart parking lot" and be able to draw their own conclusions. I think people quit mainly because it can be hard. When you are new to the game the first 30 or so finds can be tough. The first lampost cache I ever saw frustrated me to no end. I probably had more "no finds" in my first 100 caches then in my next thousand. Bad coords, missing containers and lack of experience... unless you have caught the geocaching bug these factors will probably make you loose interest the fastest. I myself probably just had a lack of hobbies at the time.

If I were to enumerate the reasons, I'd have to say the culprits are...

• Too many zero-challenge caches. Yes, I'm talking about you, skirt-lifters. There's no physical or mental involvement with driving from one parking lot to another, only to find the cache is hidden exactly like the last dozen. It's soul-sucking.
  • Learning curve. Difficult puzzles, strange acronyms, complex multi-step processes to get bulk coordinates into the GPS. It can be daunting.
  • Some people just jump from one activity to another, always looking for the next new thing.
  • Competition. Some people have to look at everything as a competition, and aren't happy unless they can quantify everything with a "score" of some type. Then they realize they'll never catch up to people who already have many years of caches under their belt and/or may be able to dedicate a lot more time to the effort. So rather than simply enjoying the activity for its own sake, they quit.
  • StarBrand's breath.

If I were to enumerate the reasons, I'd have to say the culprits are...
  • Too many zero-challenge caches. Yes, I'm talking about you, skirt-lifters. There's no physical or mental involvement with driving from one parking lot to another, only to find the cache is hidden exactly like the last dozen. It's soul-sucking.
  • Learning curve. Difficult puzzles, strange acronyms, complex multi-step processes to get bulk coordinates into the GPS. It can be daunting.
  • Some people just jump from one activity to another, always looking for the next new thing.
  • Competition. Some people have to look at everything as a competition, and aren't happy unless they can quantify everything with a "score" of some type. Then they realize they'll never catch up to people who already have many years of caches under their belt and/or may be able to dedicate a lot more time to the effort. So rather than simply enjoying the activity for its own sake, they quit.
  • StarBrand's breath.

I think your first bullet is a good one. I am very careful when I take brand new people out caching to avoid those kinds of caches. I also try to avoid Starbrand because I've heard rumors about his breath.... <_<
5) bucket labled "Steer Manure" left in the landscaping of a community college building

Some people just get to find all the cool caches... <_<

Shoot, I know of one noobie you can have. Some just get way too excited about hiding a cache all of a sudden 24 crappy ones come out.

Yeah, then they quit the sport....but their caches don't!!

But now that Starbrand mentions it............ :lol:

Would you continue? If my first few caches were these types of caches, I wouldn't have. When I started, the nearest caches to me were in the woods and were cool. Now, if I look at the nearest caches to my home, they are:

2) A plastic bag shoved under the base of a lamp post (not sure why, maybe I should ask them)

3) a magnetic keyholder under a picnic bench at an elementary school (with permission they say)

5) A multi that takes you on a path through a neighborhood wooded area

#5 was placed several years ago and was one of the first ones I did as a cacher. Great cache. #1,2,3,4 were all placed within the last year.

Draw your own conclusions

I have had a hard time agreeing with most of your points of view.

But I must say I totally agree with you on this one. My first finds were in wooded areas and Rural parks. I loved them. Now I only hide caches in out of the way places. (except for one urban puzzle cache made to highlight my rural type cache came.)

This is only the beginning <_< I nearly ended my life when I agreed with KBI and Mushtang on an issue. The agonizing pain will slowly give way to a constant, but less agonizing dull pain, eventually leaving you with only a slight limp.

But next time, it won't hurt nearly as bad :lol:

This is only the beginning :anibad: I nearly ended my life when I agreed with KBI and Mushtang on an issue. The agonizing pain will slowly give way to a constant, but less agonizing dull pain, eventually leaving you with only a slight limp.

But next time, it won't hurt nearly as bad :D

I don't agree much with them either.

I endure pain quite well. I had a 60# piece of steel fall on my hand smashing it. Despite the deep bruising it didn't hurt much when it happened. Nothing was broken, it takes more than that the hurt Iron.

Socks don't hurt at all.

When I bring up Geocaching to friends I emphasize on what a great family activity it is. I also stress how if you like photography at any level, Geocaching is a great activity. Many of my friends are poor heh although they sound extremely interested in trying it out, they cannot afford the purchase of a GPSr. My wife and I are always happy to take them along so they can experience it first hand. In our local area, there a number of tricky and hard to find Geocaches that the very description of them are interesting.

:anibad: What drew me to this sport was that it was presented to me as a wilderness activity.My love of the outdoors and the fact that I only hunt caches in the woods has kept me interested since 03 and I don't see myself stopping.I think many who come to the sport now hear about hidden things they can find with a gps and excitedely jump right in.What they find in their early searches are the lame micros and caches in playgrounds.That can get old pretty quick.Unless they are of an adventurous spirit and enjoy the longer hikes.These people will move on to something else.

Let's also remember that the newbies don't understand how to filter out certain cache types. In fact, a new person could grab a couple lame caches on the side of the road and think, "Is this what geocaching is?".

I'd LOVE to hear from some of the new folks with only a few caches found. How has your experience been so far? Do you have a positive or negative view so far?

I'd LOVE to hear from some of the new folks with only a few caches found. How has your experience been so far? Do you have a positive or negative view so far?

Below 30 finds. A few DNFs. Here's what I have to say:

Nightshift sucks for caching. I don't get to go out near as much as I'd like.

Not having a car sucks, too.

So does being in bad shape. Okay, now I'll stop complaining about things that aren't really related to Geocaching.

I could have a lot more finds already, if I were willing to go through and do 1/1 urban micros. I only bother to do them if they're in the area I'm at. Or there's something special about it.

I think I will continue to enjoy caching for a good long time, because it will take a long while for me to run out of caches withing a reasonable distance from me. and longer to run out of ones that it will take a day trip to drive out and find.

Urban caches are fine with me. They really are. If they're more than "Hey look, I took a magnetic key holder and stuck it to a lamp post." or "Oooh, look it's a film canister. In a garbage can. Hope it lasts a long time!"

Geocaching gets me out of the house, off my computer. So it's a good thing. Even though my City of Heroes characters may disagree.

In the department of hiding. I've not hidden any yet. I have one in the planning stages (rough terrain multicache), only reason it's not out yet is I need to create 3 TBs for it and get some swag to put in it. Plus I have another one or two in the idea stages (want to hide one in the same general area of the multi, on slightly easier terrain (multi will prolly be a 3 or 3.5) and I've got a puzzle in mind for a cahe. Don't know if I'll do the low terrain on the puzzle, or do it for another one).

I might at some point hide a small easy hide in the park near my house, just for s***s and giggles. It's a small park in a residential area. So, I really don't think I could do anything larger than a micro. Maybe I'll do the puzzle for that. hmm, could work.

What I won't do is slap a coat of camo paint on a pill bottle and drop it in a hollow tree and call it a hide.

One thing that I have to say got me more in to caching, and a bit wiser in terms of what I'd hide.. Is attending a CITO event, and spending the day with local cachers. (Dominoes and his SO were especially good to me.)

.... Okay Ive rambled enough. :anibad:

:anibad: What drew me to this sport was that it was presented to me as a wilderness activity.My love of the outdoors and the fact that I only hunt caches in the woods has kept me interested since 03 and I don't see myself stopping.I think many who come to the sport now hear about hidden things they can find with a gps and excitedely jump right in.What they find in their early searches are the lame micros and caches in playgrounds.That can get old pretty quick.Unless they are of an adventurous spirit and enjoy the longer hikes.These people will move on to something else.

well said, if the best you can do when hiding a cache is a micro in a walmart parking lot, do us all a favor and don't!

We only have 49 finds, one of which is an event. We have done the hikes in the state parks, the lamp post skirts, the multi's that have you wandering around the town, a virtual, and the micros under the park benches. We enjoy them all. It's time spent outdoors with each other, sometimes seeing/hearing new things. The best of our new things...

the starting post for the Mason Dixon line

an experience skipping stones across a frozen pond. Try it, the sound is amazing.

the cache hanging in a tree that made us climb on top of each other so we could reach it to open it.

We aren't especially fond of micros, the ones we've found have been OK but not an experience.

I don't plan on setting my GPSr on the shelf anytime soon. This is too much fun. I just bought a PALM m125 from the auction site and have loaded Cachemate and several databases for caches in different areas we frequent. No, I won't be quiting that easy!

MDPlayers (Karen)

Maybe some new people try geocaching... and simply don't like it???

I agree. Many people have used this thread to suggest that their personal whipping boy is teh reason that some new cachers don't stick around. The real answer is much, much simpler: They simply didn't enjoy it enough to keep doing it.

That would have done it for me. If my first finds were anything like those, I probably would have dropped out after a week. Thankfully the early hiders in my area placed some fine caches in interesting areas. I'm sure that's part of why people drop out. "Is this all there is to it?" has to be a question on the minds of many newbies after their 10th parking lot lamp post.

Another reason is that many people like to try new things, then lose interest and move on to something else.

I know a lot of people who have their hobby of the month. If you look in their garage you'll find a kayak, scuba gear, golf clubs and skis all gathering dust.

One more reason could be families where the couple consists of a geocacher and one who has no interest. If the latter is a more controlling, or dominant personality, the former may just forget about geocaching. I've known people who gave up on activities they enjoyed because their spouse wasn't interested.

That would have done it for me. If my first finds were anything like those, I probably would have dropped out after a week. Thankfully the early hiders in my area placed some fine caches in interesting areas. I'm sure that's part of why people drop out. "Is this all there is to it?" has to be a question on the minds of many newbies after their 10th parking lot lamp post.

Another reason is that many people like to try new things, then lose interest and move on to something else.

I know a lot of people who have their hobby of the month. If you look in their garage you'll find a kayak, scuba gear, golf clubs and skis all gathering dust.

One more reason could be families where the couple consists of a geocacher and one who has no interest. If the latter is a more controlling, or dominant personality, the former may just forget about geocaching. I've known people who gave up on activities they enjoyed because their spouse wasn't interested.

Maybe some new people try geocaching... and simply don't like it???

I agree. Many people have used this thread to suggest that their personal whipping boy is teh reason that some new cachers don't stick around. The real answer is much, much simpler: They simply didn't enjoy it enough to keep doing it.

Well - obviously they didn't like it - the real question here is why didn't they like it? I think most of the responses are valid on some level. I think it would be easy to find some Christmas cachers that DID quit because of the lame caches they found.

Well, I'm new here at the site and with only 2 official finds.... That's because of the serious snow we get every winter. There are a few winter caches to hunt and I still have a few to find. Once the snow melts then things will be different :anibad:

Before I joined I went out with others and kinda got hooked. I assisted on over 40 finds in two plus years. Many of the caches no longer exist as I have looked for them. It would be nice to go back and log them. I have become totally hook now that I am flying solo and don't plan on quiting anytime soon. As others have already said, I don't really care for micros but I will hunt some of them if they are placed in an interesting area. I am not an Urban hunter, but will go after any cache thats out in the country.

I've now depleted all the finds between work and home, making my evening "stop a find a cache" no longer viable. I now have to go out of my way to find a cache. Some worth it, some not, but all in fun.

I can see where burn-out can set in if I have to start driving more & more miles just to find a lamp post micro.

I have 13 finds as of right now. I have to say that Every. Single. Cache I've found has been a micro. (Magnetic key holder, bring your own pencil) I take that back. One was a nano. Very difficult to sign that log!

There was one that I had to visit twice because it was in a very busy parking lot. There were a few places that it could have been. I actually laughed out loud when I lifted the lamp post skirt and there it was. I'm glad I'd been coming to these forums or I probably wouldn't have found it!

Some of them were in pretty cool places and a few of them were hard to find. So far I'm really enjoying this. I know there are several medium sized caches in the area, I just haven't gone after them yet. When spring gets here, I'll be happy.

I'm really looking forward to placing a few caches of my own. None of them will involve a sign post though.

I took my daughter caching with my this past Sunday. We only got 4. She got to sign her name but she really wanted to find some treasure.

Well, I can tell you what bothered us. I don't think this will be a popular post though... It culminated in us stopping at least for a brief while.

Several things really ate at us...

-Too many cachers do not follow guidelines when placing a cache.

-Once a cache is placed but clearly violated guidelines, others will just keep finding it and not speak up.

-We went to an event. At least some of the other cachers were loud and rude and not respectful to the park environment that we were in.

We didn't/don't want to be associated with groups of peoples like this. Whatever YOU do, affects how WE are viewed by others that aren't geocachers.

Sure, i know it may only be a few, but it eats at us. When we talk to LEO we explain how caches should have permission. Although most of the time it appears that permission is always assumed or presumed. IMO that really puts all of us in a bad light.

When we cache in an outdoor setting we like to tread lightly, not disturb, and mostly be quiet. When we see others act in an opposite manner, that drives me nuts.

Ok, now tear me apart... :anibad:

(In the end, caching was great for our family and we are trying to make arrangements to do it more often.)

I am still learning the ropes but so far I love it. I admit I do plan some of our treks based around geocaches; but at least it gets us out and about. It also gets us to look at an area that we have been to before in a new way! Isn't that one of the objects of the sport?

I purposely bought an inexpensive and easy to use GPSr. I bought the Garmin yellow Etrex H. after I heard about people having a harder time with the more expensive models and giving up. (I know someone who is on the verge!) I figure I can upgrade my GPSr in a year or so.

I also keep in mind that I am new and it's gping to take awhile to get the hang of it. Most people can't hop on a bike and ride it without learning first and using training wheels. So why should I think any different?

I have 13 finds as of right now. I have to say that Every. Single. Cache I've found has been a micro. (Magnetic key holder, bring your own pencil) I take that back. One was a nano. Very difficult to sign that log!

There was one that I had to visit twice because it was in a very busy parking lot. There were a few places that it could have been. I actually laughed out loud when I lifted the lamp post skirt and there it was. I'm glad I'd been coming to these forums or I probably wouldn't have found it!

Some of them were in pretty cool places and a few of them were hard to find. So far I'm really enjoying this. I know there are several medium sized caches in the area, I just haven't gone after them yet. When spring gets here, I'll be happy.

I'm really looking forward to placing a few caches of my own. None of them will involve a sign post though.

I took my daughter caching with my this past Sunday. We only got 4. She got to sign her name but she really wanted to find some treasure.

I can totally see that. When discussing a cache location, we try to do the following. Make the cache meet at least one (or both!) of these two criteria:

-The cache should be in a location that is pleasant.

-The cache should be an interesting or different hide.

Way TOO many caches are pill bottles or film cans wrapped in camo tape chucked in a random hole somewhere. What is the fun in that? (Whoopee! I have own more caches than you! :anibad:)

Edited by knight2000

Amazing how often the word 'micro' pops up, isn't it? Who'd a thunk.

Here is our take on micros.

A clever one is a nice change of pace. Heck, even a regular one that takes us to a pleasant location is welcome. The kids (5 and 9) love to sign the log!

It seems too many people just put together caches hastily and don't really put effort into how they look and functionality.

While our kids aren't older, they certainly could be younger. I can see how a younger cacher wants to get a nice prize! Even if we cached without kids, i would want to leave good swag for the next kid that comes along. (I only wish i could see the look on their face...)

This subject makes me want a rating system more and more. Wouldn't it be nice if cheesy or bad hides could be voted off by the community? (I know, it would probably be abused.)

I can totally see that. When discussing a cache location, we try to do the following. Make the cache meet at least one (or both!) of these two criteria:

-The cache should be in a location that is pleasant.

-The cache should be an interesting or different hide.

Way TOO many caches are pill bottles or film cans wrapped in camo tape chucked in a random hole somewhere. What is the fun in that? (Whoopee! I have own more caches than you! :anibad:)

I totally agree. From my own experience, when I started out I would look for almost any cache and got to 200 finds or so rather quickly. My find rate has tailed way off, because too many caches are as noted by others are dull micros. I simply won't go out of my way to find an LPC or magnetic key holder stuck to or under something, or a film canister in a hole and in landscaping. Its boring and as I don't care about my count, pointless. What I will look for are caches that involve a nice hike somewhere or take me to someplace pleasant or interesting. Unfortunately there are not too many in my neck of the woods that I have not already found.

It is clear that the original intent of geocaching has been subverted from a treasure hunt/adventure, to a numbers game, with the result being a spew of dull micros. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with a clever, well thought out micro.

Edited by geomann1

I like this micro: GC11P50; which was our second find. It gave us a little history lesson and good exercise. Without giving any clues away the steps give you good exercise especially if you don't count right. I like micros like this. There was even room for small trade items and coins.

I try to stay away from micros that I think add to the numbers game. If it happens to be along a route I will stop but I will not go out of my way to find them otherwise.

I enjoy reading the forums because they give you feedback on the guidelines and you will find many examples of how not to play. I want to play the game by the rules and have fun. People who don't play by the rules ruin it for everyone. This could be why it is scaring off some newbies.

I've been caching for a little over 7 years now and have seen a lot of cachers come and go for many reasons.

Just for the fun of it I checked one of the first caches I did. In the year following my find it was found 29 times and 17 of those cachers have not been on the website in well over 2 or 3 years and their average find count comes out to 24.4 finds.

So I don't think you can point a finger and say it's all those carpy micros under the lamp post that cause cachers to lose interest in caching.

it's many things.

I don't know how many cachers I've seen come in and post how much they love caching and a few months later they're long gone.

The carpy lpc may cause a few to quit, but I doubt very much if it's the #1 Reason or even in the top 5 reasons :anibad:

I don't know if you can blame this on micros. The first 10 or 12 caches I found were all urban... a couple smalls, but mostly log-only micros. I had a blast finding those caches. I was fascinated with the idea that there could be little things hidden in these mundane places that only a few people knew about. Geocaches were all around me! My first (and only) LPC was in my first ten finds. And out of my first 25 or so, more than half were micros including about 10 nano's. It didn't make me want to quit... it made me want to find more!

Today, I've developed a greater love for larger caches that require a walk, and get me out into nature. As of today, I've placed 4 caches: 1 magnetic key hider (my first hide) which is in a beautiful, scenic location in the California Wine Country, 2 ammo cans (which require a short hike) and a small 3oz. Lock-N-Lock which requires a hike of a couple miles. I can definitely say that I hide caches that I'd like to find.

I think our local cachers and our local Caching Group are very friendly to newbies (at least I felt that way when I was one). In fact it was the welcoming atmosphere of the local Geocaching events that has made this pastime so much fun for me.

DCC

Yep it's all about loosing interest and there's a bazillion (I love that non-word) ways of doing it, and you've all talked about some important ones.

Let me just add a comment to the discussion. I started geocaching since last April and have only a handful of finds. When I first started out I was all gone hoe about using this cool new GPS unit thing that I got. I loved where these caches took me, even the ones in the city, and it was something fun that I could do with my family.

Well going to school full time and working just took up all of my time and the GPS just sat on my shelf, although I did go a couple of times. What I think would have made me go more was to have someone inviting me to go with them more often, or an organization that would help keep the excitement. This past December I graduated, and now have my Saturday's open, I'm exciting to go caching again (once the 2 feet of snow up here melt).

So to keep them going all we need to do is to keep them excited about geocaching. Easier said then done unfortunately.

As someone who has just recently (in the past few days) discovered caching, allow me to throw out a couple of thoughts from one person who is digging around and learning what this is all about.

First, the main reason this intrigued me when a friend mentioned it to me is because I'm very much into photography. So, anything that allows me to get out, do some hiking and exploring and possibly find an interesting treasure or two, that perks my interest.

Is this something I'll go out and do by myself with the goal of finding caches on their own? I can pretty much say no. But, to mix doing this with photography (I have a photo blog, so finding new things and places is always cool), it makes me WANT to go out and search for things to find new places etc.

Also, I think one reason people get away from this type of a hobby can be for several reasons:

- People get bored with things too much because they go too hard in the beginning. If you go out and in your first week find 20-30 caches and only 3-4 of them are really cool, you'll lose interest because you have done some overkill.

- Finding small things in unimaginative areas could become boring, quickly.

- People, in our society, also get worried with looking like they are doing something wrong. Think about it -- if a person is digging around in the woods and some John Doe walks by or something -- what is that person thinking? Probably that the person is doing something illegal. Therefore, some people might just feel like it's easier not to deal with it.

I'm sure there's more, but you get the point.

It's an interesting hobby. I'm not going to venture out in this awful weather we're having to go look for these things, but when it warms up, I've started peeking at ones in my area and they look interesting and seem to be in neat little areas. I look forward to finding many caches and having fun, getting out and getting some exercise.

As for bad caches, I think it's because people get too gung-ho. For example, a friend of mine (who got me into this) was talking about doing a pretty elaborate cache. Good idea? Could be. But, like I told him -- let's go find some caches, see what it's all about and then think about creating a few caches. There's no reason to try and do everything right away.

This hobby, to me, seems to be one of patience. If you do too much too quick, you'll lose interest. But, if you keep things out there and do them slowly, there will still be places and caches you want to see and can plan for.

I admit to not having read through this whole thread yet, but one comment that I have is not to interpret the changing faces at events as a sign that former attendees have quit geocaching. Unless you have actually checked their stats (which I recognize that maybe you have done), you can't be sure that they have quit. For that matter, I guess it's entirely possible (albeit unlikely) that they're still caching but not updating their stats here.

It's quite common for me to start up new hobbies/activities by finding a local club, enlisting their help in getting started, and then eventually leaving the group so I can go out on my own. It's just the way I am; I like to do a lot of things on my own, but I don't want to try to learn on my own.

Cheers,

Mark