Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Grasscatcher

APRS

I'm trying to connect an APRS rig.....a Kenwood D7A (G) radio and a Garmin 76CSx (or 76CS)

I can find a cable (Gilsson) to connect the radio to the GPSr (2 way data transfer thru the 4 pin plug) and also to a 12v power supply. However, the 12v only supplies power to the GPS , NOT also to the radio.

I want to also power the radio from the 12v supply.

Anyone know of a cable? ....or a way?

Does the power supply have connectors? If so, what kind? Or just terminals?

I see a mention on HRO's site of a DC power cable for the D7A (G). Dunno what kind of connector it has on the power supply end.

Patty N6BIS

What I'm hoping to be able to do is power both (radio & GPS) from a cigarette lighter plug so that I can use the setup in a vehicle, or provide a small 12v supply (with plugin) and use in a backpack.

The closest cable I've found so far comes from GPSGeek. As stated in the original post, it only provides power to the GPS.

May have to find someone to custom modify.....if it is even possible.

What I'm hoping to be able to do is power both (radio & GPS) from a cigarette lighter plug so that I can use the setup in a vehicle, or provide a small 12v supply (with plugin) and use in a backpack.

The closest cable I've found so far comes from GPSGeek. As stated in the original post, it only provides power to the GPS.

May have to find someone to custom modify.....if it is even possible.

You can get a cigerette double lighter adapter at radio shack, you just plug it in and you have two 12V outlets.

Try this link 12 volt adapter they ave more than one type on their web site.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The problem you'll have with doing that elegantly is that the GPS does serial data and power on the same connector, but the D7 doesn't. There's no way to avoid having two connections to the radio.

You could splice into the existing power cable and add a "Y" for the radio... but keep in mind that the radio draws an order of magnitude more current (on TX) than the GPS. You'll want to make sure that all the power wires are large enough to handle ~2A@13.8VDC... some of the ones they build into cables for low current devices are 26AWG or even smaller.

Good luck -