Can Colorado 400t maps be viewed on computer?

jws2go

I was sure hoping that Garmin would make something available to all of us 400t users. Seems like a real big problem that needs to be addressed without having to purchase 2008 Topo map.

I'd suggest just finding/using the older version of Topo......since you are not going to be sending maps back and forth and AFAIK the data transfer is the same.

If you were in Colorado or Wyoming or ..... ,soon to be others....

see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...opic=185855/url]

this would work great.

Edited by Grasscatcher

I have not heard of anyone doing that successfully either. I'm sure to garmin it's not a problem it's a feature. Just like having only one unit allowed per $130 city nav software disk.

The 400t has the feature that you get the entire topo 2008 on the unit and can still put the entire city nav on an SD card and have both in their entirety on one unit, with only having to buy city nav. Of course if you want to work with topo on the computer then you get to buy topo 2008 too. It does not sound like there is a way to put topo 2008 and city nav on say an 8 gig sd card on a 300 and get them to work.

It's the same for their other SD card maps, you pay $200 or so for city nav on an SD card, and you can use it on any gps......but you can't use it on the computer, and I'd bet most of us do our trip planning.routing on the computer.

You can have eas of use for one or or the other, but garmin knows if you want it for the machine and the gps you have to buy both.

The other option is to simply buy the 300, and a 4 gig card, and load 2 gig of topo 2008 and city nav onto it, as that seems to be the restriction, 2 gig total on a card. Topo 2008 is just about 4 gig total, and city nav is like 2 gig total, but you can get half the US of both onto a 2 gig card (at least the western half, I have no use for the eastern half, but it probably takes up more room with all the big cities).

Try calling Garmin. I have a Nuvi 770 that comes loaded with CN2008 North America and Europe. I called them and they said they will send me the DVDs. I will be able to load these to the PC to plan trips. They will not be downloadable to any GPSRs. They are sending them without charge. Wish they would just include them with the units.

Garmin was kind enough to get me the Topo 2008 DVD for my computer, even though I have the 400t, so that I could do trip planning on Mapsource - then transfer the tracks/waypoints from the computer to the GPSr. I plan to purchase CN 2008 - on DVD to load into both Mapsource and an SD card for the 400t. Hope this helps. Rider

This gives me a great idea to create an emulator for different GPS devices to be used on PC. I used to use one for my Palm to test applications - wouldn't be bad to have one for GPS devices.

UPDATE: looks like I am too late to the game. A quick Google search shows they already exist.

Edited by Source_GPS
Many has tried in Europe to get DVD, but Garmin says no.

It must be because of the shipping costs to Europe. :anibad:

This is why I have no problem telling people that the map can be downloaded from the net.

If you have already bought the maps.

On the Nüvi you even get a valid unlock key that can be used on PC

(download key from my.garmin.com)

I emailed them the same question. This was their reply:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I'd be happy to help you. The maps cannot be taken off of the unit to be viewed on the PC. The only way to get them on the PC is to purchase the DVD.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with.

With Best Regards,

Debbie B

The tech I talked to wasn't as open handed, Rider. He suggested I buy a copy of Topo for the computer. When I told him I bought a copy of topo when I chose the 400t, he suggested exchanging for the 300. No, I didn't get upset...

JWS: Sorry that you were turned down. Did your sales person for the 400t tell you that the preloaded topo2008 could be viewed in Mapsource? Mine did, so I was clearly misinformed when I connected to the PC and tried to view the map and plan routes/tracks. I relayed this info in my email to Garmin support and they shipped the DVD. Perhaps Garmin should be consistent and provide the DVDs to everyone who needs to have the maps on PC even though preloaded into the unit. The attraction to preloading was to get much more internal memory in the GPSr. Rider

The tech I talked to wasn't as open handed, Rider. He suggested I buy a copy of Topo for the computer. When I told him I bought a copy of topo when I chose the 400t, he suggested exchanging for the 300. No, I didn't get upset...

JWS: Sorry that you were turned down. Did your sales person for the 400t tell you that the preloaded topo2008 could be viewed in Mapsource? Mine did, so I was clearly misinformed when I connected to the PC and tried to view the map and plan routes/tracks. I relayed this info in my email to Garmin support and they shipped the DVD. Perhaps Garmin should be consistent and provide the DVDs to everyone who needs to have the maps on PC even though preloaded into the unit. The attraction to preloading was to get much more internal memory in the GPSr. Rider

Like a previous poster said, topo 2008 can be found on the net and unlocked. I have mapsource and the original version of topo USA. Just bought the 400t. Garmin should make the topo 2008 avail to 400t users via a download or a dvd in the box. The download that can be found on the net is about 2.8GB. Give us GPS users a few more months and we will have "free" 24K layers for many states in the U.S. available to all... It is all publicly funded data anyway... Just reformatted for GPSr... :-)