Harbor Surveys Jacksonville FL 1948 BM

curious4cache

We're fairly new to caching, but are loving it enough that we've wiped out all nearby caches. So (naturally) I started benchmarking :laughing:

I love how it takes me back in time! Imagine someone setting these disks back in the 1930's! It's fun to visualize the no-more-existing landmarks too.

While visiting Hontoon Island in DeLand FL, we found a metal disk set in a pipe and concrete. Nearby coords N28 58.491 W081 21.402, although GPSr was reading up to 50' off. Disk was marked U.S. Engineer Dept, Jacksonville FLA; Harbor Surveys; $250 fine... center is stamped with 1948 and I think... 1st. JH. 607 It isn't in the geocaching.com database.

B4_19481stJH607.jpg

haven't posted a pic before -hope it works!

I've searched through the forums a bit, but can't find step by step instructions to determine the designation for this disk.

IF I'm able to do that, is there a way to enter it into geocaching's database and log it as found?

Thanks for your help and experience!!

MAN that pic turned out huge! Sorry it takes so long to load.

Yeah, it's often best to reduce the resolution and/or dimensions of a photo with a photo editing program before uploading it here. It will save you upload time, eliminate scrolling, also prevent the Geocaching.com forum software from spreading your text really wide to match the width of the photo.

Now that I see it so big - the stamping may be ST JH for Saint Johns River nearby. Yes???

Dave gave you some good advice on how to find out more about the mark. As for your original question, yoku can log it in the benchmark category on Waymarking.com.

Let us know if you need any more help finding benchmarks!

Patty

curious4cache -

Hi and welcome to benchmark hunting !

There are thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of survey disks that are not in the geocaching benchmark database. I suggest reading the benchmark hunting FAQ that will answer some of your questions, especially this section.

If I were to make a designation for this disk, I'd call it ST JH 607 or perhaps just 607. But anyway, we can't add a disk to either the geocaching benchmark database or the NGS database. You can only add new disks to the US Benchmarks Waymarking site.

That's an interesting U.S.E.D. disk you found! Is it 1948 or 1918? My guess is 1948.