explorist closeout at walmart

capricesquad

I was looking to get into geocaching and wanted a cheap gps unit to start and found the magellan 210 on walmart's website for $99 but it's unavailable online. I then checked a few local stores 1 had a explorist 100 for $129 ???? the other had an explorist 210 for $90 instead of $150. They sell for $60 used on craigslist so I grabbed it and went to buy it and it rang up for $58!!! :laughing:

I'm not sure if walmart prices are universal but it's worth checking your local store if anyone is looking for a great deal!

for $58 an explorist 210 (even a 100) is an excellent price. The 210 is a nice entry model for geocaching. Has a usb connection, geocaching mode, and pretty good reception (it does not have a sirfIII antenna).

Just went to walmart.com and found out that it's not the 210 at $99, but it is the 200. The 200 is an 100 with a slight upgrade, but not to be compared with the 210.

Edited by SUp3rFM & Cruella

A $58 GPS unit. Hmmmmm.

If I was at a party, I'd eat a free hamburger, but I wouldn't even consider eating a $0.58 hamburger from anywhere! Think about it.

Do you really want a $58 GPS?

First off it's not a $58 GPS, it's a $150 GPS that's being discontinued and available stock is being reduced for probably somewhere near cost. There is NO reason a GPS has to cost $500 to be useful.

So in your book, a GPS for $5000 must be the best GPS on earth since it cost so much. I've read all the posts on how "great" the Colorado is (including yours) and all I can say is you must feel real proud to own a $500 brick.

for $58 an explorist 210 (even a 100) is an excellent price. The 210 is a nice entry model for geocaching. Has a usb connection, geocaching mode, and pretty good reception (it does not have a sirfIII antenna).

Just went to walmart.com and found out that it's not the 210 at $99, but it is the 200. The 200 is an 100 with a slight upgrade, but not to be compared with the 210.

Some Walmarts have the 200 and others have the 210. The one I went to in Lynnwood WA had the 210 for $59.

A $58 GPS unit. Hmmmmm.

If I was at a party, I'd eat a free hamburger, but I wouldn't even consider eating a $0.58 hamburger from anywhere! Think about it.

Do you really want a $58 GPS?

I am new to the sport and needed a cheap beginner model to learn with and bang up so,.... YES!

I've had it out to 3 site and it gets me to the caches but it's a bad season to begin as all the caches are vandalized or snowed over <_<

But had I waited until spring I would not have a $58 210 :lol:

Wonder what's up with the Magellan fire-sales lately?

Git 'em out by Friday, the Tritons well on it's way! . . . So to speak.

Taking little editorial license w/a lyric from an early Genesis tune.

Norm

Let there be no Misunderstanding, I'm not Counting Out Time for these units in the bargain bin; it's clearly Fading Lights for them. I Know What I Like and this is an OK unit for $58, though it's pretty clearly Driving the Last Spike into the coffin of the Explorist product line in favor of Triton. It has a track up mode, so you can configure it in Your Own Special Way so the world is facing the way that you're going. Like It Or Not, it's no more likely to route you into Another Cul De Sac than The Brazilian - you know, Illegal Alien Man On the Corner that doesn't know where you're going, either. If you have DirectRoute on it, it'll tell you that There Must Be Some Other Way, but only if you press goto-goto to force a route recalculation.

My take is that the 210 for $58 is a bargain. The 200 for $58 isn't.

The 200 and the 210 are very different. The 200 has no supported computer connection, while the 210 can have detailed street maps, deliver turn-by-turn directions, and has a reasonable USB connection. It's not a fantasy GPS unit, but for $58, you could do a LOT worse. The reception on both is very good - even in the Congo.

The Explorist 210 takes AA batteries, so Please Don't Ask how to Turn It On Again until after Supper's Ready.

That's All.

P.S. I just finished reading Chapter & Verse last night.

Wonder what's up with the Magellan fire-sales lately?

Git 'em out by Friday, the Tritons well on it's way! . . . So to speak.

Taking little editorial license w/a lyric from an early Genesis tune.

Norm

Let there be no Misunderstanding, I'm not Counting Out Time for these units in the bargain bin; it's clearly Fading Lights for them. I Know What I Like and this is an OK unit for $58, though it's pretty clearly Driving the Last Spike into the coffin of the Explorist product line in favor of Triton. It has a track up mode, so you can configure it in Your Own Special Way so the world is facing the way that you're going. Like It Or Not, it's no more likely to route you into Another Cul De Sac than The Brazilian - you know, Illegal Alien Man On the Corner that doesn't know where you're going, either. If you have DirectRoute on it, it'll tell you that There Must Be Some Other Way, but only if you press goto-goto to force a route recalculation.

My take is that the 210 for $58 is a bargain. The 200 for $58 isn't.

The 200 and the 210 are very different. The 200 has no supported computer connection, while the 210 can have detailed street maps, deliver turn-by-turn directions, and has a reasonable USB connection. It's not a fantasy GPS unit, but for $58, you could do a LOT worse. The reception on both is very good - even in the Congo.

The Explorist 210 takes AA batteries, so Please Don't Ask how to Turn It On Again until after Supper's Ready.

That's All.

P.S. I just finished reading Chapter & Verse last night.

As Tom Petty once sang. It's the end of the line.... for the Explorist. That's somewhat odd given that it seems to be a decent unit and fairly well recieved by those who have them.

Some questions I had, it appears that the 210 cannot take SD (or any external) memory cards. That leaves you with 22M of internal storage. First, is that really enough to load decent Topo or Road maps and second, does Magellan still sell updated maps that can be loaded onto the 210?

Also, does anyone know if you buy Magellan's Topo maps for the 210 can they later be used on a Triton? The web site is full of misleading information so it's hard to tell what might work on the Triton. I know they are pushing the National Geo. maps which won't load on the 210 but why wouldn't they have their own Topo maps for those people that don't really need or want the NG maps?

I can take the first one. 210 doesn't have expandable memory. You can get some idea of map region size at http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/myfaq - you'll have to extrapolate a 22MB point between the 8MB and the 128MB points. 22MB of map memory is usually enough for spontaneous travels, but not enough if you travel around the country on short notice.

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/magellan/explorist/explorist210/ has lots of info on 210.

I was just in Park City, UT this weekend to do some skiing. My friend needed a new pair of boot so we went to the Sports Authority in town. While he was trying on his boots I was browsing around and found thier GPS section. They had the explorist 100 on clearance for $109, I thought that's not clearance that's not even a good price. Then I looked at another explorist, the 210 I think. Again $109. They also had the explorist 300 for $109 and they had one triton 300 for $109. Don't quite get the pricing but apparently all magellans cost $109 at the sports authority in Park City.

YIPEE!! Picked up a Magellan 500LE at the Walmart in Moore Oklahoma for...... Get this....... $49!!!!!!!!!!!

Go me!!! Now the kids (ages 8 and 10) can handle one without their dad freaking out about them ruining the expensive one.

I also picked up the car charger and car bracket at Academy in south OKC for $4.88 each on clearance!

I was looking to get into geocaching and wanted a cheap gps unit to start and found the magellan 210 on walmart's website for $99 but it's unavailable online. I then checked a few local stores 1 had a explorist 100 for $129 ???? the other had an explorist 210 for $90 instead of $150. They sell for $60 used on craigslist so I grabbed it and went to buy it and it rang up for $58!!! :laughing:

I'm not sure if walmart prices are universal but it's worth checking your local store if anyone is looking for a great deal!

I purchased a new in box 400 explorist for 125