What is the topo and altimeter used for?

ssgeo83

For geocaching, on a GPS device, what is the topo map used for and what is the altimeter used for?

I know what a topographical map and altimeter is but just didn't know it's use in geocaching.

Just wondering - if you know what a topographical map and an altimeter are - why would you think that you could NOT use them for geocaching? :unsure:

I'm not saying you HAVE to use them - but I would have thought the possibilities were self-evident!

I've never used the altimeter on my units.

I use the topo maps extensively. Topo maps show the lay of the land. Hills, valleys, cliffs, mountains, ravines, swamps, streams, ponds and lakes are all shown on topo. Knowing what lies between you and the cache can be beneficial. Also using the topo map to figure out the easiest way back to the car at the end of the day is helpful.

Edited by briansnat

For geocaching, on a GPS device, what is the topo map used for and what is the altimeter used for?

I know what a topographical map and altimeter is but just didn't know it's use in geocaching.

Just wondering - if you know what a topographical map and an altimeter are - why would you think that you could NOT use them for geocaching? :unsure:

I'm not saying you HAVE to use them - but I would have thought the possibilities were self-evident!

I knew you could use them for geocaching but just didn't know how useful they would be or when it would come into play while geocaching.

For example, why would an altimeter ever be useful (how does knowing how high you are help in finding a cache)?

Consider this scenario without topo. A cache is placed atop a 500 ft cliff. A highway runs at the south side of the base of the cliff and without knowing, you road route to the cache. Chances are your route will place you at the bottom of the cliff, 25 feet south of the cache but 500 feet below it.....would you climb that cliff or would you rather know this ahead of time by looking at the topo map and route to the cache via a gentle approach from the north side that might place your parking area 500 feet away but on nearly the same level? Ok, you say you have no cliffs but the same would apply to other obstacles such as streams. Your topo would show you which side of the stream you need to drive to instead of finding yourself on one bank and the gps showing you 25 feet away with water between you and ground zero.

Edited by SpankySCRC

I knew you could use them for geocaching but just didn't know how useful they would be or when it would come into play while geocaching.

For example, why would an altimeter ever be useful (how does knowing how high you are help in finding a cache)?

If you are only interested in navigating in relatively flat areas, or urban areas, you may never need either topo maps or an altimeter.

If you are getting off the beaten track at all, the benefit of topo maps should be very easy to see. As others have said, it can help to tell you whether your destination is at the top or bottom of a hill, or halfway up a slope, and indeed, give you a picture of all the terrain between your current location and your destination. This is basic information to help you plan the best route to a particular location.

If you have accurate, high resolution topos, you may never need the altimeter - because in theory, you should be able to get the elevation and slope for every point straight from the topo map. However, for my money, the altimeter is much more accurate in real-time than the contours that are available on the topos for my regions - and besides - it works in areas where I don't even have topo maps. (I don't just use my GPSr for games - I also use it for real work in remote areas! :blink: )

To each their own - you don't NEED topo maps or an altimeter to go geocaching - but I bet there aren't many people who, once having learnt the benefits of both, would willingly give either of them up!

(And if you want one last excuse - the altimeter is a cool toy to show off to those lesser geocachers who don't have one! :P )

I've actually been at a cache, where the clue included the elevation of the cache. Which was prudent, as it was placed very close to an almost vertical incline, so both the summit and foot of the incline was within the inaccuracy of the GPS. Without the elevation figure, it would be impossible to say if you should look around at the bottom or the top - or walk on the wall like a fly, looking mid way!