Colorado Models

According to Garmin's site, the hardware is identical. The difference is the pre-loaded maps, although they also have differing amounts of internal memory. Unfortunately, Gamin site only shows the memory amount for the 300.

Unless you are into lake or ocean fishing, sailing, etc... there is no reason to buy the 400i or 400c. If you are going to do caching and hiking and need to topo maps, the 400t would be the one to get, but if you want to cache and use the unit for travel and don't need the topo maps, get a 300 and buy the City Navigaor NT maps.

I chose the 300 and got a cheap 4 gB SDHC card for any maps I may get in the future.

Edited by qlenfg

According to Garmin's site, the hardware is identical. The difference is the pre-loaded maps, although they also have differing amounts of internal memory. Unfortunately, Gamin site only shows the memory amount for the 300.

Unless you are into lake or ocean fishing, sailing, etc... there is no reason to buy the 400i or 400c. If you are going to do caching and hiking and need to topo maps, the 400t would be the one to get, but if you want to cache and use the unit for travel and don't need the topo maps, get a 300 and buy the City Navigaor NT maps.

I chose the 300 and got a cheap 4 gB SDHC card for any maps I may get in the future.

The Garmin site actually states Memory:

300 384mb

400 Yes

So it doesn't actually say......

From this thread however I notice 2 things.

1. An SDHC card does NOT work. The max is 4gb NON-HC. Not that it makes much odds.

2. The TOPO maps (on the 400t) are 3-4gb in size. If you get seriously into having other stuff, then you're not gonna have much change!

In the UK, the topo maps are 1/2gb and they're not much use (we're all used to O/S maps and I've yet to see any other world map in as much detail)

HTH

I had the 400t, but that had problems, and I just got home with my new 300, and it is working ok. The 300 has a good Worldwide Basemap, that I like and I am going to put both City Nav 2008 and TOPO 2008 on the memory cards. So I think the 300 is a good choice.

The Topo on the 400t was 2.7 GB when I had it, and there were about 300 megs free of memory.

Interesting, I know you can't complile more than 4gig of maps on mapsource but could a person load say 3 gig of topo 2008 and then put say 2 gig of city nav on an 8 gig SD card and use it on the Colorado 300?

The 400t starts to look a lot better if you can't use more than 2 gig of maps on the SD card with the 300, because it comes with topo preloaded, and I think the entire city nav will fit under 2 gig.

Though I guess in all honesty I never had a problem getting more than enough topo and city data on a 2 gig card on my 76csx.

SDHC will work. I bought a 4g micro SDHC witha n SD adapter at best buy because I didnt want to wait and the 300 found it and uses it with no trouble.

As far as the limit, I dont know. I have mine loaded with city navigator and topo for my home state with no problems. I started to load the whole US, but I dont travel coast to coast all the time so why bother.

I keep my loaded maps clean and lean.

Oh, and I have a 300 as well. I opted for it since the memory cards are cheap and having the whole united states in the unit was not important to me.

I can confirm that an 8GB SDHC card do work.

But as normal with Garmin , you can only have a 2GB file with maps.

For the internal memory Garmin do often use several files, to overcome 2GB limit.

gmapbmap.img (Base map file, can only be internal)

gmapprom.img (Built in maps like City Navigator, only internal)

gmapprom1.img (Built in extra maps, only internal. City Navigator EU and US need two files)

gmapsupp.img (Maps you download, van be both internal and external on a SD card)

gmapoem.imb (OEM maps, only internally)

Conclusion:

You do not need more than a 2GB SD Card, but you can use several cards.

If you like many maps in your GPS, buy a unit with large internal space.

You can rename gmapsupp.img to gmapoem.img and you will not overwrite your maps next time

you transfere new maps.

Actually the Faq does not really. It does not address if you can put two sets of map images on a 8 gig card and if those will be used by the colorado properly.

For example while I realize you cannot have more than a single 4 gig image file. Could you install a 3.5 gig worth of topo 2008 as one image file, and then install another 2 gig of city nav as another image file on the same card as Jotne mentioned and get the colorado 300 to use both map sets at the same time?

If not, then the 400t with it's 4 gig of internal space becomes an advantage if a person want's a lot of maps on their gps

Actually the Faq does not really. It does not address if you can put two sets of map images on a 8 gig card and if those will be used by the colorado properly.

Garmin states that 4 gigs is the max the Colorado will address. I've seen two people say that they got an 8 gig card to work, but neither stated if it was able to address beyond 4 gigs. I would just make the assumption that 4 gig SDs are the max, like Garmin says it is, and make your decision that way.