Is the Colorado ready for Prime Time Geocaching?

bobkeenan

I have a 60csx and love it. But I do not like geocaching with the GPSr in one hand and a pilot in the other. So when the Colorado came out I thought Oh Boy!!! One unit to do it all!!

Then came all of the bad reviews on battery life, no caches on map, sluggish startup, sluggish operation, and many other complaints. So I figured I would stick with my 60 and palm and hope for a firmware update.

The new firmware came out a few days ago and there are a spattering of responses in a bunch of topic areas that seem to show that almost all of the complaints have been addressed.

Is this true?

Is the Colorado ready for prime time Geocaching?

I have a 60csx and love it. But I do not like geocaching with the GPSr in one hand and a pilot in the other. So when the Colorado came out I thought Oh Boy!!! One unit to do it all!!

Then came all of the bad reviews on battery life, no caches on map, sluggish startup, sluggish operation, and many other complaints. So I figured I would stick with my 60 and palm and hope for a firmware update.

The new firmware came out a few days ago and there are a spattering of responses in a bunch of topic areas that seem to show that almost all of the complaints have been addressed.

Is this true?

Good question! With all the the different threads it is hard to keep up with all the changes. I saw somewhere today that the caches can now be marked as found and that caches are showing up on the map screen. As for the battery issues, I have seen some posts that say the battery meter works and others that don't. I would be interested in reading what users have to say as mine is on the way.

Then came all of the bad reviews on battery life
Fixed. v2.40
no caches on map
Fixed. v2.40
sluggish startup
Fixed, 21 second start up now. v2.40
sluggish operation
I think the operation is better than any other GPS I've owned, and the ease of use getting from one screen to another is a joy. It doesn't seem sluggish to me at all. But some have stated this, and because you can have a lot of different options, map sets, preferences, etc. I'm not ready to say this is a non-issue.

Is this true?

There are still a couple of quirks that need to be ironed out with regards to geocaching. Such as, child waypoints, which are created as GPS Waypoints when you load a GPX file containing them, don't go away when the GPX file is deleted. You need to manually delete them. Also, although you can mark a geocache as found, isn't an easy way to delete geocaches from the GPX without updating to a new GPX file. This isn't a big issue for me, since that's what I usually do anyway. But some people have had an issue with this, since deleting the field notes file (once they have been uploaded to geocaching.com) will cause the found caches to show up as unfound again.

So, I'm not quite sure if I'd say it's ready for prime time, but it certainly is ready to be used, if you are willing to put up with a couple of work arounds. After g-o-cachers gets back from vacation and updates the issues wiki for version 2.4, you can take a look there and see if the remaining issues would bother you or not. Personally, I'm having a blast using mine.

--Marky

So, I'm not quite sure if I'd say it's ready for prime time, but it certainly is ready to be used, if you are willing to put up with a couple of work arounds. After g-o-cachers gets back from vacation and updates the issues wiki for version 2.4, you can take a look there and see if the remaining issues would bother you or not. Personally, I'm having a blast using mine.

--Marky

I had a nice 33 cache off-road caching day yesterday using my 400t ... it was wonderful day :D

--Marky

I had a nice 33 cache off-road caching day yesterday using my 400t ... it was wonderful day :blink:

We....didn't do quite that many but we did do a nice 8 cache run this weekend with the 300! It was great, and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is my wife wants the unit to cache with our family while I'm at work, and I want to run through some on my lunch break. :unsure: What to do?

Excellent. Thanks for the replies. I think I will wait till May when the online retailers get them and lower prices should become available.

But I AM Getting One !!!

A couple things here, as well as my response to almost all above.

Prime time? Does that mean like 7:00 or 11:00? :laughing:

The unit is certainly worth whatever money you shell out for it. I would rather see you buy the unit from REI and get a no-quible guaranty on it. You don't like how it feels in your hand? They'll take it back (so I am lead to believe.) There are too many reports on here of units acting funky, but I personally believe that 60% of those reports are operator error and general misunderstanding about GPS functionality.

www.gpsnow.com (not a plug) has the units and has a reasonable price on it. If its defective (really defective), you will be able to get a replacement. Not sure how they work that since I've never had that problem. If you're waiting for walmart.com to offer one that everyone can afford ... I would rather see you support other vendors for that unit. Now if you want to buy a GPSmap 60CSx from them, knock yer socks off!

Battery life is still a minor issue. There are others who will kick and scream at that statement. I do know that Garmin is still working on battery issues, but the meter does now function correctly.

If you don't get your AA batteries free and you've not experienced NiMH rechargeables, you really need to stop throwing money away by buying alkalines. IMVHO

I would personally like to see better ways of getting back to the compass screen from the cache description, cache logs, and cache hint ... and visa versa. That may not have been brought up (I'm done reading the "lets trash the Colorado" threads. But that is an issue that I will be bringing up with Garmin myself.

My dog would like to see a laser pointer attached to the Colorado. Other than that, she loves the unit. :blink:

In my opinion, definitely "ready". Done? Absolutely note. But as Marky already pointed out, each of the MAJOR shortcomings were addressed - and the new "FieldNotes" logging on the unit, and the associated interface on geocaching.com - I'm REALLY excited.

For now, I'll still need my Palm to record TB/Coin/Sig Item #s, and any brief notes. However, the 'logfile' generated on the Colorado already has an 'empty field', so I'm sure that capability will be coming soon (though no matter HOW you slice it, data entry on the Colorado is ALWAYS going to suck when compared to same on a Tungsten C, or other 'full keyboard' device).

Here's an idea: How about a wireless keyboard that utilizes the ANT protocol on the same wireless interface used by the heart rate and cadence sensors??

Back on topic: The unit was barely usable w/ the 2.3 firmware (LOTS of workarounds required) - but 2.4 introduced "consumer-grade" (as opposed to early adopted grade ;-) functionality.

Still various issues, to be sure - but my 60csx hasn't made it out of the pack for a week or so. With the Colorado, you can carry 2000 caches, with complete description, logs, hints, etc - and then mark them as found (or DNF, or Needs Maintenance) in the field - even if it's raining, like it has been here in the SF Bay Area this weekend. I was always protective of my Palm in weather - but you expect a GPSr to be able to survive a little rain. Come home, plug the GPSr in, and upload your finds - that's all pretty convenient, and with fewer complexities/moving parts that using a Palm, CacheMate, Hotsync, and a potentially long list of other tools.

I'm looking forward to continued refinement, feature additions (that Issues List is LONG - while the heavy hitters are mostly cleared (at least, from my perspective) - there are still some basic items that need to be addressed, before we get to the feature/enhancement requests, that will likely emerge over a fairly long lifecycle. Here's hoping for several quick successive updates though - chipping away at the list as they resolve them.

Edited by SnoWake

My dog would like to see a laser pointer attached to the Colorado. Other than that, she loves the unit. :laughing:

I bet. Round and nice. Good for chewing on.

I've tried caching with the Colorado twice now, once with 2.30 and once with 2.40. The interface has improved significantly, but as others say, there are still unnecessary limitations. Like that on the Colorado, it's impossible to build a route which passes through a couple of geocaches. The route manager can search for everything else, but not geocaches!

To make this happen, you either have to think about this at home, and build the route in Mapsource, or you have to pan around the map, hover on each cache, mark as a waypoint as well, then return to the route manager and make the route through these waypoints instead.

Doable, but meaningless maneouvers to accomplish something that should have been a no-brainer.

I would personally like to see better ways of getting back to the compass screen from the cache description, cache logs, and cache hint ... and visa versa. That may not have been brought up (I'm done reading the "lets trash the Colorado" threads. But that is an issue that I will be bringing up with Garmin myself.

The current way seems fine to me:

1) select a geocache

2) press down arrow on the roller to get compass/map combo screen

From this screen I can see the compass and the map. I generally don't go to the big compass screen, but if I want to, I can just click the center button on the roller. Hitting back takes you back to the compass/map screen.

If I want to see the description, I just press Options->Show Description and then hit back when I'm done.

I hope they don't change this as I like it the way it is.

--Marky

I posted this elsewhere, but I thought I might give it a try here. I love the Colorado so far, but I read somewhere that you could store caches on the sd card and access them via the Colorado. I tried this and have not been able to do it. Any thoughts??? I also read that you could project waypoints, but I have not seen that. Any thoughts here?

Thanks!

More likely in a \Garmin\GPX folder on the card.

Just a quick confirmation: As suspected by all, GPX files containing caches (either PQs, or generated by GPSBabel, GSAK, etc) must be placed in:

[sD Drive Letter]:\Garmin\GPX

I tried placing a GPX file in the root folder of the SD card - no dice.

Of course - I had to go GET my SD card, for this experiment. With the copious amounts of memory on the 400t, I haven't needed it for anything yet. Now, if we could get some "eXplorist-like" functionality, but with datasets of 2000 caches - and have 2GB worth on the SD card, and just toggle between data sets... that would be pretty slick.

Here's a snip from the data descriptor in the Colorado, showing that GPX data should go to the \Garmin\GPX folder.

<Name>GPSData</Name>

- <File>

- <Specification>

<Identifier>http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1</Identifier>

<Documentation>http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd</Documentation>

</Specification>

- <Location>

<Path>Garmin/gpx</Path>

<FileExtension>GPX</FileExtension>

</Location>

<TransferDirection>InputToUnit</TransferDirection>

</File>

I simply made a Garmin folder and placed a GPX folder inside of it on the sd card and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks to all!!

Interesting: My results were different from this. Well - to be fair, I didn't quite test this EXACT scenario - but will.

I put the GPX file in [sD Card Drive]:\Garmin\GPX - and the caches were parsed, loaded, and displayed

I put the GPX file in the root of the SD card - at the same level with the Garmin folder - and it definitely did NOT work.

Sounds like it works if the files are in the Garmin folder - but given A) how the unit wants these in the \Garmin\GPX folder when stored internally, coupled with ;) Anders observation above, which explicitly states the location -- I think we'd be better off putting them there, even if they DO (currently) work when placed elsewhere.

Just a thought...