Oxford - caches a traveller shouldn't miss

forthferalz

It is possible to walk north out of Oxford along the lovely canal to Wolvercote (where there's the very smart Trout Inn with good food and real ale) and then come back along the Thames Path. It makes a good circular walk on level terrain (6km + depending on where you start), it'll give you an excellent feel for the area and you'll notch up quite a few caches along the way. We've done it and highly recommend it.

huzzah! I have 2 days in Oxford with no kids and no non-caching spouse to entertain - just me!

So seeking advice on the best caches within walking distance of Banbury Rd ( north )

I have one letterbox in the area near Headington which is on my list.

try the excellent 'SWING LOWER' GC13WZQ http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b7-3441757f8e0e

Close to the centre of Oxford and the cheapest and best fun in town.

Well done SANDVIKA for setting this one [although disabled at present] :laughing:;):laughing::P

try the excellent 'SWING LOWER' GC13WZQ http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b7-3441757f8e0e

Close to the centre of Oxford and the cheapest and best fun in town.

Well done SANDVIKA for setting this one [although disabled at present] :):):P<_<

Well sounds attractive but I hate heights and specially swing bridges!!! i have kids so each holiday has an unstated mission of returning alive and preferably not posted home with a record by the local constabulary:) Number two luggage quota means i cannot pack extra caching equipment ( please see 'he who walks with a ladder on his back' ) below ROFL

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a3-bd3369435192

Anotehr cacher has kindly contacted me by pm suggesting coin trading night if there are other takers?

If you can make it a little way south into the city, then Simply Paul’s Punters caches are a must do. Unfortunately two of them are disabled at the moment awaiting maintenance, but hopefully that will be sorted soon. What dates are you coming to Oxford?

thanks for all the suggestions.first week of June. They have plenty of time to spruce up the city just for me :)

edit:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f6-220986cea3a9

ooh yes - looks tasty. I presume river is not toxic? The water here is like clear black tea and drinking quality - I see you guys like yours with milk <_< The rivers where i grew up in Sydney though were labelled unsafe for swimming :P

Edited by forthferalz

It is possible to walk north out of Oxford along the lovely canal to Wolvercote (where there's the very smart Trout Inn with good food and real ale) and then come back along the Thames Path. It makes a good circular walk on level terrain (6km + depending on where you start), it'll give you an excellent feel for the area and you'll notch up quite a few caches along the way. We've done it and highly recommend it.

yup - sounds just the ticket - would you hazard an estimate of time required by a fairly cacheblind sort with stops for food and such like ? toilet map needed!

edit:ooh this is my 700th forum post

Edited by forthferalz

Ahh, The Trout...immortalised by Morse, of course. Fine place, in a lovely location. I lived in Oxford from 96 to 99, so long before caching was invented, but I can vouch for the canal and river walks being excellent, so do enjoy them. It's worth exploring a bit out of town as well - Witney and Abingdon are nice little towns that may well throw up some nice caches.

Lee

If you can make it a little way south into the city, then Simply Paul’s Punters caches are a must do. Unfortunately two of them are disabled at the moment awaiting maintenance, but hopefully that will be sorted soon. What dates are you coming to Oxford?

thanks for all the suggestions.first week of June. They have plenty of time to spruce up the city just for me :huh:

edit:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f6-220986cea3a9

ooh yes - looks tasty. I presume river is not toxic? The water here is like clear black tea and drinking quality - I see you guys like yours with milk ;) The rivers where i grew up in Sydney though were labelled unsafe for swimming :drama:

Jack Aubrey and I may well be in Oxford May 30th to June 1st too, as I have a reunion to go to. The canal walk (or can we hire bikes?) looked ideal and around 20 caches to collect too! In fact, there is a multi that starts at tthe pub where our reunion is going to take place - how handy is that? :anicute:

Jack Aubrey and I may well be in Oxford May 30th to June 1st too, as I have a reunion to go to. The canal walk (or can we hire bikes?) looked ideal and around 20 caches to collect too! In fact, there is a multi that starts at tthe pub where our reunion is going to take place - how handy is that? :)

Plenty of cycle hire shops in and around Oxford, this link should be a good starting point for your search.

Jack Aubrey and I may well be in Oxford May 30th to June 1st too, as I have a reunion to go to. The canal walk (or can we hire bikes?) looked ideal and around 20 caches to collect too! In fact, there is a multi that starts at tthe pub where our reunion is going to take place - how handy is that? ;)

Plenty of cycle hire shops in and around Oxford, this link should be a good starting point for your search.

Brilliant. Thanks.