Colorado and Mapsource

YBLee

1. I have a 60CSx and have been downloading Pocket Query results via Mapsource. With the 60CSx, I first download the Waypoints and then the Parking Locations. The Colorado will not take the Parking locations.

2. In order to use the "Geocaching" profile and do you need to load and use the Trip and Waypoint Manager? Using Mapsource too download, I have to go back to "Recreation" profile to see Waypoints.

3. For those with 60CSx experience, did you find the transition to the Colorado "interesting" but worth the added features relative to "paperless" caching or you prefer the 60CSx UI?

I push a single, consolidated GPX file containing just under 2K caches, from GSAK. I include child waypoints in the export, which pushes the total 'objects' pushed to around 2100.

The 1990 geocaches appear, as expected, under the geocaching lists, while all the child waypoints, correctly (IMHO) wind up as waypoints. All of the above - the different cache types, as well as parking coords, trailheads, etc - are all assigned the appropriate icon when displayed on the map.

However, when I load that same GPX file, or a direct PQ file from geocaching.com, directly into MapSource - both the geocaches and child waypoints still load, although now all caches are assigned the closed treasure chest, while child waypoints are either the parking icon, or just a square waypoint marker. Loading the main, and they -wpts.gpx files from a PQ yielded the same effect.

No Trip and Waypoint Manager for me - in fact, about the only thing I've used MapSource for over the past couple of years is uploading Maps to the various units.

With regard to item 3 - it's been an interesting transition. Initially, the dramatic changes in UI, coupled with some key missing features, had me reaching for the 60CSx from time to time. Now that I'm comfortable with switching profiles, and the basic operation of the unit - I'm digging it.

Edited by SnoWake

I've loaded caches with parking areas one at a time from the GC site using Garmin Communicator as well as pocket queries. The cache goes into the geocaching area and the parking area goes into waypoints. Rather confusing.

(Your post do not belong in this thread, nothing with MapSource to do.)

As I have already posted this in another thread.

I have sent an email to Garmin complaining about that.

One problem is that when you remove Cache files, it's removed completely.

But parking info etc gets added to the waypoint file and has to be

manually removed. It also eats up of the max 2000 waypoints.

So every time you change cache files, you lose some waypoints

due to this problem. Garmin should handle both files equally.

Edited by jotne

Thx everyone for the feedback. I'll go back to see what I could have been doing wrong.

I appreciate your comments Snowake on the transition to the Colorado and had a feel it may need a dedicated effort to make the move. It has made me appreciate the 60 even more!

It has made me appreciate the 60 even more!

If you were one of the early adopters of the 60 series, you'd be going through the same thing you are going through now with the Colorado. As they are adding features we request, they don't always get it right the first time, and our feedback is what determines what gets fixed. Some people like this process, others don't. For the people that don't, it's best to not pick up a something new until it's been out for a year, so that all of the issues have been ironed out.

Here's my procedure for updating to a new pocket query:

1. Turn on GPS
  2. Delete all waypoints
  3. Turn off GPS
  4. plug into computer
  5. delete field notes
  6. copy over new GPX file (if file name is different, delete the old GPX file and empty the trash)
  7. turn on the GPS, new child waypoints get create automatically. No need for MapSource.

edit: Note: this is with firmware version 2.40. This list may change with the next release.

Edited by Marky

Here's my procedure for updating to a new pocket query:

1. Turn on GPS
  2. Delete all waypoints
  3. Turn off GPS
  4. plug into computer
  5. delete field notes
  6. copy over new GPX file (if file name is different, delete the old GPX file and empty the trash)
  7. turn on the GPS, new child waypoints get create automatically. No need for MapSource.

Here, here! Simple and explained perfectly. Precisely how I load my PQs once a week.