Where's a good area to cache in eastern Illinois?

lindsychris

We're from Pittsburgh, PA, and I'm scouting out some possible roadtrips for this summer. Wondering about any good caching areas in Illinois-- the closer to PA the better!

We'd be looking mostly for easier terrain, quick caches, either in small parks or park n' grabs, preferrably with lodging and food nearby. (yeah, not exactly roughing it on these trips!). It would be a weekend trip, so I'd like to find an area that has a pretty good concentration of caches to keep us busy.

Any input would be appreciated :D

Edited by lindsychris

We're from Pittsburgh, PA, and I'm scouting out some possible roadtrips for this summer. Wondering about any good caching areas in Illinois-- the closer to PA the better!

We'd be looking mostly for easier terrain, quick caches, either in small parks or park n' grabs, preferrably with lodging and food nearby. (yeah, not exactly roughing it on these trips!). It would be a weekend trip, so I'd like to find an area that has a pretty good concentration of caches to keep us busy.

Any input would be appreciated :D

Chicago is about as close as you can get to PA from IL, and there are hundreds, maybe thousands of caches in the area. Last year myself and a friend did about a dozen caches between Rosemont and the Wisconsin state line all within 2 miles from I-90. If we would have had the time we probably could have done a dozen more.

The previous poster was correct, Chicago area would give the highest number of caches per mile. If you somehow find yourself a little further south, though, I'd recommend Champaign-Urbana. Since it's a college town, there are plenty of caches around. I live about 30 miles away and still haven't gotten all of them yet.

Karl

All great places but if you are coming west on I-70 you will buzz through Terre Haute, IN, which has a multitude of caches and just 17 miles west and in ILLINOIS at the #147 exit (2nd IL exit) is Marshall.

There is one rather close to the interstate, 4-6 in Marshall which is just a mile south of I-70, Lincoln Trail State Park has one which is 5 miles south of I-70, and probably 10-15 within, oh 4-5 miles radius of Marshall. Just do a search on caches for zip code 62441. The majority of them are park and grabs or at least easy terrains.

Marshall has two motels. Restaurants: Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Lincoln Trail Park Restaurant, three family type cafes, and fast foods- Wendys, McDs, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Arbys.

Crystal Lake Park in Urbana Illinois has a bunch of nice caches. The stuff on campus are almost all micros, and during school the place is overrun. Haven't cached in Danville, but I know they have some excellent parks. My guess is that you could keep yourself busy all the way across Ohio and Indiana. (Some of the best caching I have done was in Hamilton County, OH in the Lebanon area).

We also have a Pizza Hut and a Subway here in Marshall.

I think they were looking for caches, not waymarks.

preferrably with lodging and food nearby.

They were also looking for a place to cache with food in the area. I was just adding to the list of places to eat in Marshall.