Restrictions on Coins?

histphd

I did not know where to look, so I thought that I would post here and see...

Are there restrictions on geocoins about who can have them, create them, and put them into the "cache world?"

Jeep and other corporate sponsors send tracking material out there, so are there special steps that must be follow to get permission?

Or can you go and get your small business logo on 10 geocoins and place them in 10 caches and see where they go?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong spot....but I checked the FAQs in the coin area and it still is a bit unclear.

Thansk moderators, I am sure that you can place this post int he correct spot. Sorry again.

histphd

Edited by histphd

Are there restrictions on geocoins about who can have them, create them, and put them into the "cache world?"

Jeep and other corporate sponsors send tracking material out there, so are there special steps that must be follow to get permission?

Or can you go and get your small business logo on 10 geocoins and place them in 10 caches and see where they go?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong spot....but I checked the FAQs in the coin area and it still is a bit unclear.

Thansk moderators, I am sure that you can place this post int he correct spot. Sorry again.

histphd

Is this what you were looking for

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

I would ask in there.

Thanks in advance,

histphd

There's no restrictions on who can have, make, or release coins-- as long as you purchase the tracking codes from Groundspeak and follow their guidelines for creating the coin (as far as material, etc.), anyone can have a trackable coin made.

The only part of your question that *might* be an issue is the "small business logo". I know caches can't be commercial in nature, or advertise a business or for-profit venture--not sure if the same rules apply to trackable coins or not?

Before your GC.com trackable coin can be made, your artwork must be sent to GC.com for approval.

I suspect a coin with a commercial logo or tie in would require some extra steps.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me

That's Rothstafari's post. He handles geocoins for Geocaching.com

You can contact him through the link on his profile.

Before your GC.com trackable coin can be made, your artwork must be sent to GC.com for approval.

I suspect a coin with a commercial logo or tie in would require some extra steps.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me

That's Rothstafari's post. He handles geocoins for Geocaching.com

You can contact him through the link on his profile.

This is only the half right answer.

Anyone can put out a coin, period. However, if the coin is to be 'trackable', the design must be approved by Bryan Roth (Rothstafari). If the coin is not trackable, you can put whatever you want on it. The only area for concern would be copyrighted images, logos, characters (such as Disney, Cereal, etc.) and trademarked items.

If you are looking to put out a quanity of less than 100, your best bet would be the Wooden Nickel route. Most geocoin mints/manufacturers will not produce a coin under a certain number, since it would not be economical to produce less. Whereas wooden nickels are far less expensive. The drawback to that would be that wooden nickels are not trackable items.

If anyone else has something to add to this, please do, as I am NOT all knowing :D

~J

To go into more detail, to get a coin made you have to have dies made to mint/press the coin(s). Consider that these run in the $75 - $125 range (IIRC) and making 10 of a coin doesn't become economically feasible for either the mint or the person having the coins made.

Most companies won't touch anything under 100 coins for that reason.

The feedback regarding commercial logos is correct.

Does that help?