What is the most difficult cache you have found

Rostropovich

Wondering what your personal opinions are as far as most difficult to find cache was for you. Should just be your opinion and not by how many stars there are. And also the hardest terrain, also without regard to stars?

Oh, I'd have to say there have been a couple 'manufactured to look like something else' caches that took me a few tries. There are a few local cachers who read the forums so I don't want to give away too much, but the layers of camo were pretty ingenious. Cover grill here, item there, Should I remove this? kinda thing.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The hardest cache for me to find was Aww, @* It!!! It took me four tries, with the owner's help. I foolishly assumed that nobody would hide a nano on the ground. It was buried underneath about 1/2 inch of decomposing granite and sand.

Second hardest find, and most dangerous hike was my 1000th find Are You Experienced?

Second hardest hike was #1100 Throop Peak. A thirteen and a half mile hike (majority of it above 8500 feet elevation) with over 4000 feet of elevation gain and lost.

See the map for #1100 here!

Probably Melvin's Mutiple Madness. It's in a tidal salt marsh. You need to time the hunt on the outgoing tide or you might find yourself underwater in spots. Mud! mud! mud! Waist deep in spots. I did it in the winter, so no mosquitoes, but I'm sure in the summer the sky is black with them.

As if the terrain, laced with creeks and drainage ditches and covered with thick stands of phragmites isn't enough, at each stage you get 2 sets of coords. One correct and one a wild goose chase. For the final stage you have to project a waypoint. Fun stuff! Just read the logs. No "Found It. TNLNSL." here.

Right behind it is probably GC5.

It involved a good uphill climb, some pretty rugged terrain and thick stands of mountain laurel, which are nearly impenetrable in places. We actually approached it from another cache and came from direction that made it easier. Most of our trouble was on the way back to the car.

Edited by briansnat

TUBE TORCHER II cache page

My Day One Log

My Day Two Log

With over 5700 finds choosing the cache that was the most difficult to find -- and by "difficult" I mean physically/mentally challenging -- is incredibly easy. By a landslide it is the above cache!

TT2 took Nuwati and I eleven hours to complete. After 10 hours of pain, and with two stages still to go, we decided to stop. Why? We were physically exhausted. The only reason we went back out the next day to finish it off is that we had heard rumors that another duo was close to finishing and we wanted to get to the final before them.

If you want a weekend of fun -- and pain -- head to Asheville NC!

Hardest cache? We've been hunting this one for a while with no luck. In fact it was placed in 2003 and still hasn't been found GCGG7W

I don't know about hardest puzzle cache - those go on a different scale altogether.

My hardest would have to be GC12EYZ. The difficulty level is low, but one of the parts of finishing the multi was tracking two TB's. One of which was in a cache halfway up a cliff in ice and snow. Everyone who's found that TB up there decides that the next person should have to suffer just as much and just discovers it and leaves it. Poor TB.

I won't tell the location or wapoint, but this was in the woods, near a few downed trees. It was a micro aluminum tube that was inside a small branch that had been hollwed out and dowel fitted back together. It looked exactly like the other 1 million sticks from the downed trees. Of course the cache had no clues or anything. Took me 6 visits and over 8 hours to find.

BTW when I did find it it had an ant colony in it. I HATE swarms of ants.