No new hardware

ar_kayaker

Would this Wherigo thing work on a full-sized laptop running XP or Vista linked to a GPS receiver? Say a Garmin 60Cx with the USB cable? What about without linking the two (I heard something vauge about an emulator...)

I really don't need another expensive tech toy just to find some caches that as of earlier today there aren't even any of (within 500 miles of Arkansas.)

AK

The jury's still out, for the most part. There is an emulator included on the Builder app, but you lose a lot of the experience if you don't actually visit the places referenced in the cartridge, and it wouldn't exactly be convenient to lug your laptop around and try to reproduce your own movements in the emulator. It appears that, like at the beginning of geocaching, Wherigo was created with faith in the fact that the technology it relies on will quickly become better, cheaper, and more widespread. And, really, how many people had hand-held GPS units seven years ago? It'll probably be a few years before Wherigo REALLY takes off.

Yeah, I'm seeing that. I've been playing with the builder (sans instruction manual!) and among other things zones set to invisible (that you don't want someone playing your cartrige to see until a certain time or condition is met) show up anyway. They are just red instead of blue.

That makes it possible to "armchair" your way though it, though I might be able to stop that once I figure out how to build an "input." (They would still show up, but without the correct input from on-scene they couldn't activate the items in the zone.....)

If I can ever slog my way through programing a cartidge without instructions, I can at least build some, even if I can't play them properly.

I just can't see buying a PDA when I've got a laptop that does everything a PDA can do except fit in my pocket.

AK