Memory Map & Windows Vista

Mike+Mary

I have Memory Map 2004 on a Windows XP PC and am considering a new laptop which will have to run Windows Vista.

Is MM 2004 fully compatible with Vista? Several FAQs testify to the compatibility of Memory Map V5 but not MM 2004. As my investment in MM 2004 map files is substantial, I don't want to purchase a computer and then find I have to get MM V5 and buy a whole new set of data!

Any answers, please?!

am considering a new laptop which will have to run Windows Vista

Why will your new laptop have to run Vista? Ask for XP when you buy it.............

Good luck with that as most new laptops come with Vista preloaded I can just see the vendor changing it :P

edited to add my laptop runs Vista and MM 2004 happily :D

Edited by Matrix
Good luck with that as most new laptops come with Vista preloaded I can just see the vendor changing it

I've just got a new HP laptop with XP Pro installed. Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba and Sony are all still selling their laptops with XP preinstalled if that's what you request......do you really want to buy from anywhere that isn't able to offer you the choice?

Why will your new laptop have to run Vista? Ask for XP when you buy it.............

Isn't that just delaying the inevitable as Microsoft are withdrawing support for XP at the end of June? I'll concede that Microsoft will probably change the date but we can only make decisions on facts and not presumptions.

Thanks for all the advice. I have confidence in XP & don't need or particularly want Vista, but the major retailers have now mostly gone over to it. 2 or 3 years from now, XP users could be feeling the cold so it looks like when, not if. It might be an idea to wait for a service pack, though.

Isn't that just delaying the inevitable as Microsoft are withdrawing support for XP at the end of June? I'll concede that Microsoft will probably change the date but we can only make decisions on facts and not presumptions.

The last I heard it was April 2009, with a probable extension to late 2010, when Vista's successor (XP2 :D:P ) is now due for release.

XP service Pack 3 is now out on beta, with full release in a couple of months.

I had to get XP on my new lappy, as it's only worth about a 10th as much as the software I use - which won't (or wouldn't at the time) run glitch free on Vista.

I've got Vista on my desktop at work - and to be honest I'd switch that back to XP straightway if IT would let me......

Edited to add: PC World will sell you whatever you want with XP if you ask - and Dell will ship with XP. Additionally, any back street PC bucketshop will do a clean, licensed XP install for you.......

Edited by keehotee

Well you probably do HAVE to have it running Vista. I can't stand vista myself what with all its problems, but with new laptops, especially high end machines, the hardware in them isn't and never will be supported for XP. So you could install XP on the machine but would struggle to find compatible drivers for everything. Although I do believe there is something of a modding community for drivers, so you may be able to find modded drivers to run on XP.

Not really on topic but thought it might help if you do decide to attempt to keep running XP.