suggestion for disabled caches

Poidawg

I use 3X5 cards to cache since I dont have the funds to go paperless. I check the listings every couple of days or so since Im not a paying member to see if there are any changes.

I often see caches go on the disabled list and never come off and then some go on disabled list for maintenance and come back on again at a leter date.

I was wondering if there will ever be a feature for chosing to disable a cache permanently or disable it temporarily so those of us who are checking dont need to recheck all the time to see if a cache is going to come off the disabled list and become active again or if it will stay off the active list permamnently. Thanks

Disabled is supposed to always be temporary.

A listing should be Archived if it is a permanent removal of the cache.

Yeah here is the rub, "suppose to always be temporary" "A listing should be Archived" I often come across listing which are temporarily disabled for a long time, and not archived....oh well

Yeah here is the rub, "suppose to always be temporary" "A listing should be Archived" I often come across listing which are temporarily disabled for a long time, and not archived....oh well

That is when you post a "needs archived" note on the cache page. Its why its there.

That is when you post a "needs archived" note on the cache page. Its why its there.

Be careful with this feature though... Somebody here in Salem created a sock-puppet account called "Salem Cache Cop" and posted needs archived on a bunch of missing caches, that were meant for being replaced. People got VERY mad about this. :o

So be careful! :o

Life happens. I maintain my caches as time and life allow. 3 years ago I had a lot more time. The past 2 not so much. In the future more again.

Anyone can volunteer to help me maintain my cache, or they can wait until time and life allow. Which one you are going to do is up to you. Complain about the ones you are checking on or help if that cacher is in a pinch.

Some caches are in places that are not accessible during the winter. Sometimes the owner will disable the listing during the winter and enable it again in the spring. Such caches could be in a disabled state for a few months every year.

A few cache listings I've seen like this usually state this somewhere in the description.

Life happens. I maintain my caches as time and life allow. 3 years ago I had a lot more time. The past 2 not so much. In the future more again.

Anyone can volunteer to help me maintain my cache, or they can wait until time and life allow. Which one you are going to do is up to you. Complain about the ones you are checking on or help if that cacher is in a pinch.

I agree. Avoiding disabled caches is pretty easy to do. Premium members ($3/month) can filter out disabled caches from their PQs. If people put too much pressure on people to tend to their disabled caches (when they can't at the moment) then people will simply stop disabling caches to avoid the conflict. Then you'll get to really experience some real frustration. So my recommendation is to learn to avoid these disabled caches and don't gripe unless it stays disabled for an unreasonable amount of time. If you ever get can't get to your caches you'll appreciate having some extra time to tend to your disabled caches. I know I had a cache that I couldn't get to because of knee surgery. It would have been a shame to disable it because someone couldn't give me some extra time... :laughing:

I use 3X5 cards to cache since I dont have the funds to go paperless. I check the listings every couple of days or so since Im not a paying member to see if there are any changes.

I often see caches go on the disabled list and never come off and then some go on disabled list for maintenance and come back on again at a leter date.

I was wondering if there will ever be a feature for chosing to disable a cache permanently or disable it temporarily so those of us who are checking dont need to recheck all the time to see if a cache is going to come off the disabled list and become active again or if it will stay off the active list permamnently. Thanks

Since you are a Premium Member, I assume you are getting your data in PQs. You can request to only get caches that are "Active." If you keep the data in GSAK, you can use the "Last .gpx Update" filter to filter out the caches that don't update when you get new PQs.

When I first started caching, I would get all the local caches in my PQs, but the length of time some remained Disabled was disturbing, so I started requesting only "Active" caches in the PQs. That way I wouldn't have to see Disabled caches week after week after week until they were finally fixed . . . or Archived by a Reviewer.

Also, no need to spend a lot of money for "Paperless Caching." A PDA that will work fine for Geocaching can cost less than $30.00 . . . if you want to put that into your upcoming budget. :laughing: