color or B&W

johnny2154

Color for several reasons. First off the color units are a lot easier to read. Also the color units are newer and have better technology than the old BW eTrex units. Next, the color units have fast USB PC connections, while the BW units have old serial connections (that most newer computers don't even have). Next the color units have faster processors. Also, the color models with H (HC, HCX) in the name have a high sensitivity receiver, giving far better reception than the the old BW units. Finally, most of the color eTrex units handle autorouting. None of the BW eTrexs do.

The reason color is better is because those units also have newer technology and they will aquire the satellites more quickly and hold the signal better under difficult conditions, like in a forest or canyon. The new Garmin 'H' units are excellent choices, and if you can afford it, the Legend HCx or Vista HCx are GPS units you can grow with over the next few years. Both of those units can auto-route with the City Navigator maps installed, and if you like to hike, you can also put the Garmin Topo maps on those units.

t's my understanding that the color monitors shorten the battery life but other than that are very nice to have

That is a misunderstanding. The color units actually have far better battery life than the old BW eTrex units.

From Garmin's website:

BW Legend - 18 Hours

Color Legend HCX - 25 hours

BW Vista - 12 hours

Color Vista HCX - 25 hours

The reason color is better is because those units also have newer technology and they will aquire the satellites more quickly and hold the signal better under difficult conditions, like in a forest or canyon.

Although the Etrex-H (B&W) obviously has this capability.

I have the Etrex-H...black and white...no maps. Does it work? Yes! Do I find caches? Easily! Do I wish I can a color mapping unit.....YES!!

If you have the $.....go with color. If you are on a limited budget and the B&W are the only one you can afford, you can still enjoy geocaching and find caches.

After using my wife's Magellan Sport TRac (which in its heyday was nicer than the Etrex IMO), I can attest to the "-H" being able to pick up a signal faster and in more-obstructed locations where the older GPS will not.....or just take a longer time.