Forum overload

Indotguy

I realize the new Garmin Colorado is the greatest GPS ever made but is it really necessary to fill the entire Forum with topics about it? Maybe it's time to create a sub topic or something dedicated just to this unit. For the record I have owned a Garmin before and have nothing against them. I'm just sick of seeing Colorado, Colorado, Colorado... :blink:

I am surprised there has not been more about the Magellan Triton GPS, that those can be improved, but the colorado did have alot of flaws. I had gotten a complaint from one Groundspeak forum user, when I created the Yahoo Colorado GPS Group, that I am trying to take colorado users away from here over to the Yahoo Group. I had returned my Colorado a few days ago due to my dislike of the case design and the clock failure.

Does seem like Magellan had a much worse problem with the Tritons, and it is odd there is not more talk of the Delorme PN-20, but with that GPS there is a dedicated forum for those.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I realize the new Garmin Colorado is the greatest GPS ever made ...

Given all the discussion in this forum, I seriously doubt that folks would agree it's the greatest...

That's why there's so much discussion about it - people are quite upset that Garmin released the Colorado

with a multitude of unresolved hardware and software issues.

I understand your frustration. The Colorado issue has dominated this forum.

It's annoying, but there's a big plus to all of this endless chatter.

Potential customers will think twice about purchasing a new Colorado...

and Garmin is getting some excellent (read painfully honest) feedback on thier latest endeavor.

I like your suggestion about a "Colorado Subfolder."

~ Mitch ~

I suspect the number of threads on a particular model is related to the amount of interest in it and the number of people who purchase it. Some may roll their eyes at my stating the obvious, but I'm just trying to address the poster's complaint.

I don't know what Garmin's sales are, or Magellan's, or any other, but I have a feeling there are a lot more Garmins being purchased than anything else. If Magellan had most of the market, and came out with a new model, you'd probably see a swarm of new threads regarding that product.

So if you're not interested in the Colorado, when you see that word in a thread title... skip it.

I realize the new Garmin Colorado is the greatest GPS ever made but is it really necessary to fill the entire Forum with topics about it? Maybe it's time to create a sub topic or something dedicated just to this unit. For the record I have owned a Garmin before and have nothing against them. I'm just sick of seeing Colorado, Colorado, Colorado... :blink:

If you use Firefox, there's a Greasemonkey script that lets you ignore individual topics. You can just click a little checkbox on the threads you're not interested in, and you will never see them again.

I did that when the Triton first came out and there was a burst of Triton threads in which I had no interest. (I don't have a Colorado, but I haven't killed those threads because I do find them interesting.)

The thread-ignore script is also the only thing that makes the general geocaching forum readable. Those endless arguments that go on and on for 16 pages about the stupidest imaginable topics -- Poof! Gone! :wub:

Relevant links, if you need them:

Firefox

Greasemonkey

greasemonkey forum tools script

Is this ANOTHER Colorado thread!!! :wub::blink::wub:

I'd imagine that the Skiing is pretty good over there this time of year, but never been to that state before.

Wasn't there an ad put out by the State of Colorado that had Hikers holding eXplorist GPS units?

The ski resorts have had an overabundance of snow this year. We have a ski trip planned for next month. It's going to be a blast!

There was the same complaint about the 60 series when it came out. Any new GPS is going to generate some buzz here. TPTB have stated in the past that they don't want to create sub topics for individual GPS units. So, when new things come out, they are going to be discussed. That's the general nature of a forum, isn't it. Sure, if the new thing isn't of interest to you, you're going to have to wade through it until the buzz dies down.

As far as the Triton buzz, until they release the update to make the units functional, you probably won't see much discussed here. After the next update, you should see a bit more activity since it will be actually usable for geocaching. :blink:

--Marky

All the flurry of activity about the Colorado has people discussing, documenting and reporting bugs, and hopefully forcing Garmin to resolve this issues quicker. Once the Colorado family is stable, all we'll see is a few noob posts from people who shouldn't own anything more complicated than a stick.

This isn't Clockwork Orange. No one has you head strapped down and eyes held open, forcing you to read these threads. Look away!

All the flurry of activity about the Colorado has people discussing, documenting and reporting bugs, and hopefully forcing Garmin to resolve this issues quicker. Once the Colorado family is stable, all we'll see is a few noob posts from people who shouldn't own anything more complicated than a stick.

This isn't Clockwork Orange. No one has you head strapped down and eyes held open, forcing you to read these threads. Look away!

:D:D:P:P:D:(:D:D

I can't help but think, just a LITTLE, of the occasional "email storms" that are created at work, when messages are sent to large lists where the recipients may not realize they're on it.

This thread is a bit like the:

"Please remove me from the list" - done as a REPLY TO ALL - thus adding to the churn, and further responses. A very strange phenomenon, I've always thought.

My apologies for my contributions to "all the Colorado threads" - but I've tried to search for another, appropriate thread - focusing primarily on the firmware thread, for version-specific info, the issues/bugs thread, for general observations, and the performance test thread for topics specific to that.

However - at this point - you're going to see my activity dropping off a bit, because - this unit really IS all that. I was fired up about the 60-series - I remember the excitement, and how 'revolutionary' auto-routing felt.

The Colorado, with it's data-carrying, and now field logging, capabilities - is on the very verge of making my Palm and CacheMate obsolete. I'm FIRED up about it.

So sue me.

But see - now I'M perpetuating they 'myriads of Colorado threads' problem! DOH!

In "robert the forum reader" mode, I agree. There's a huge amount of running over he same old ground on Colorado (Nuvi, too, actually...) and I really wish people would use the existing threads instead of opening new ones.

"Use" means both "read" and "post to" above.

Historically, attempts to encourage the crowd here to refer users to existing threads or FAQs just don't work.

In "robert the moderator" mode, I haven't seen any guideline violations or "report this post" violations that warrant an intervention, so I haven't closed or merged the topics which creates a disruption in the thread reading/answering process.

Marky, having an institutional memory similar to my own in these forums, does make an observation that I share. We saw the same thing in Jan '06 with the unveiling of the X series and in Jan '04 with the C series. The amount of Garmin traffic here just dwarfed everything else, even though there were other models on the launch pad at a similar time. I've attributed that to a combination of market share and a dash of self-selection in the forums. Garmin users come here because there are Garmin users here.

I also remember plotting the number of *actual* users responsible for the zillions of threads in the X series era and concluding that the number of posts per user was disproportionate to market share. I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that's true on Colorado right now, too. They're being bought by early adopters that are sharing their experiences and discovering the good and the bad of the product. That seems a reasonable use of the forums to "robert the forum moderator".

We also saw Triton posts dominating about a quarter ago, though they tended to be more contained in a lower number of threads.

Still, "robert the forum reader" wishes there was more thread reuse on Colorado.

Still, "robert the forum reader" wishes there was more thread reuse on Colorado.

I'm in total agreement here, but I find it hard to fault the people creating new threads, mostly because the search mechanism for the forums is pretty difficult to use for the casual forum reader. Those 'nearly' duplicate threads, 80% of which probably belong in the issues and FAQ thread, generally die out once they've gone off page 1. I can live with that.

--Marky