Support your local geocaching organization

El Diablo

MiGOSealHeader.gif

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources had a paid permit system in place for several years for cache placement. MiGO members worked with the DNR to modify that system; last year, MiGO announced the new permit system: with permission from the local park, caches are now allowed in the millions of acres of DNR-managed lands, with no permit fee to be charged to the cache owner.

MiGO is also active in park clean-ups, Adopt-a-Highways, and Adopt-a-Forest areas. In 2006, the SW region met at a local open space land area and spent the day over-filling a dumpster pulling out all the refuse dumped in the area by the previous owners. Water heaters, broken glass, metal shelving, etc. all came out, to help make the area more enjoyable by all.

MiGO also has an active Rescue Mission - any 'abandoned' caches, archived without any evidence of them being pulled or active on another site are added to the rescue mission. Out of over 400 caches listed, cahcers have removed the Geo-Trash at 93% of them.

The first weekend of February, MiGO teamed up with a Grand Rapids Museum to put on a demonstration, in conjunction with the museum's newest exhibit - MAPS. They brought information, cache containers, and GPSrs to the museum, taught people about GPS, and even took some brave souls (it was pretty cold) out to find a cache placed especially for the exhibit.

But best of all, it's the people. I haven't met anyone at a MiGO event that hasn't been friendly or helpful. They're always ready to help people, cachers and muggles alike.

There's just so much that makes MiGO great!

What he said :blink:

Lets hear why your local organization is the best. Tell us what they have done for caching in your community.

I'll create a El Diablo hiking staff for the oraganization to do do with as they may, and also one for the person that best described them.

After the nominations are in we'll have a vote to decide the winner. One week from now to submit, and one week after that to vote.

El Diablo

Hi!

I, Harthunter, would like to nominate the SCSG. (South Carolina Society of Geocachers) Yes it may be named South Carolina because it was born from the minds of some wonderful cachers who live in this state, but they have made it very welcoming to any cachers who would like to join no matter where they are from. Since I have been a member they have been very helpful to this newbie cacher as well as others still joining. Just recently they helped me plan my first ever event. The SCSG Georgia Poker Run. I had no idea what to do and without the help of these fellow cachers. It could not have turned out to be such a great time. We had a group from Savannah, Ga drive up, some from Virginia dropped by and several from Atlanta, Ga. Who would have guessed? "This was the SCSG's first interstate event, the regions first geo-poker run and the first event by a non-administrative member." All of that would not have been possible if it wasn't for them helping me out. Coming up next is another new members event 'SCSG Easter picnic'. It just keeps getting better.

We (SCSG) have been involved in alot of Cito events all around our areas. There is always a good turn out at these events. Alot of great people working together to make our caching community the best and cleanest possible. I never would have guessed that picking up trash could be so fun, but somehow they make it so enjoyable. And we are planning more for the future! Not to mention most of these cachers have placed a majority of the caches from the middle of South Carolina to the upstate and now we are moving into Georgia. And especially my area which had only a small handful of caches to be found.

The SCSG is considered my home now, because they have made me and my whole family feel so welcomed and have went out of their way more times than I can count to help me with anything I have had trouble with. The doors are open for more. I can't imagine caching life without myscsg.com!

Thankfully,

Harthunter

If I'm reading this right, the last four or five posts are past the posted deadline.

At this time, everyone should be sending private emails to El Diablo which includes two topics, The first is whos post best discribed the best group/organization and what organization were they describing.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gary

Sent in my vote this morning!! THANKS again for this awesome contest!

It appears we all win since we can ALL share in the different organizations' wealth of local knowledge as well as their friendship!! I recently visited Las Vegas and asked for info on local caches and possibly meet up with some locals. Moose Mob and AHollys both answered my call and were happy to shoot info my way. We never did meet up, but the help I see from ALL other orgs is GREAT!

wsgaheader.gif

Washington State Geocaching Association

The Washington State Geocaching Association was founded on September 8, 2002. A group of interested geocachers met to discuss the formation of a statewide organization, in part because of a common goal to preserve Geocaching in state parks.

There had been some indidents involving some state parks, and at the time we feared a complete ban on caches in State Parks was at hand. We began negotiations with them, and got the ban "postponed". Our efforts eventually led to a free permit system that while not perfect has been good for all involved.

We are currently working on a simular issue with Seattle Parks over caches placed in a large Seattle Natural Area.

In addition we have sponsored many CITO events statewide.

We have grown from a small organization of a dozen members to a state wide association with 6 chapters in all corners of the state.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

AGA

What haven't they done for us folks in Alabama? And elsewhere I'm sure! Helping with caches, helping with car breakdowns, keeping an eye out for other members, helping educate new geocachers, helping with personal issues, hosting wonderful events, and alot more I can't think of at the moment!

AGAlogo-1.jpg

Lazer and Rambler says it best. What more can I add. Vote for the AGA!!!

The AGA Rocks!!

Another nod to our states group of cachers. Very supportive and helpful group. Since before I started chasing caches they have worked as a group and as individuals with the various state and local offices as well as area land managers building relationships that allows everyone to play in so many great places across the state. Come see Alabama the Beautiful and find a cache or two along the way.

In addition to all the above stated AGA propaganda (which happens to be 100 percent true), what I like best about the Alabama Geocaching Association is the ability to connect geocachers of all experience levels. We embrace brand-new cachers and help them "network" with more experienced addicts. It makes learning about the world's greatest pasttime easier. Anyone looking for a caching partner for a cache trip can usually find one via the Dixie Cachers website even if it's someone you've never cached with before. That in itself makes the AGA the best in the country.

Sent in my vote this morning!! THANKS again for this awesome contest!

It appears we all win since we can ALL share in the different organizations' wealth of local knowledge as well as their friendship!! I recently visited Las Vegas and asked for info on local caches and possibly meet up with some locals. Moose Mob and AHollys both answered my call and were happy to shoot info my way. We never did meet up, but the help I see from ALL other orgs is GREAT!

Bummer too, I wish I wasn't all gimped up when you were here (ref: Roadhobbler) Heck, I'm still gimped up, just missing the cast!

That said... Here's one for Nevada Geocachers!

logo.gif

Just as a reminder that you have until 10:24 pm EST today to submit your organization. After that time no other submissions will be allowed. Voting will begin at 10:25 pm EST. All votes will be sent to me via email at JC364@aol.com and will last one week. If you vote more than once all of your votes will be voided.

In the event of a tie I will make the final decision on the winners.

It's time to rally your organizations!

Good luck.

El Diablo

Just a reminder that the voting is already taking place...

AGAlogo-1.jpg

3fda8132-ee32-4eeb-8d16-2123fe39d159.jpg

I whole heartedly agree with what the others have posted about the AGA. I just started geocaching on my own in October 2007. The AGA had an event nearby in November 2007. I signed up to attend and was apprehensive since I only knew one other cacher at the time and she was the one who introduced me to this. Everyone there made me feel right at home and like they had known me all along. This has been the same experience I've had at every event I've attended.

The people of AGA are warm, friendly, helpful and make you feel like family. My life has been made much fuller by the experiences I have had because of this group of people. I am very proud to be associated with the AGA.

River City Geocaching and Dining Society

7371a6fe-f82a-43ae-af41-4ef0e83480d8.jpg

RCGDS website

Going back to the very early days of geoching (long before I was involved) the RCGDS has been an active group in the Greater Sacramento area. RCGDS members host events on the second Saturday of every month in an unbroken streak going back years.

RCGDS is a very welcoming and ever growing group. There are regularly 100+ attendees at our events. RCGDS "members" range from the casual geocacher to the obsessed.

Recently RCGDS, along with other Northern California groups, took on the challenge of planning Geowoodstock 6, which will in all likelyhood be the largest single event ever organized to date.

I vote for RCGDS as well for the above stated reasons

Edited by JohnnyVegas

gga_logo.gif

We were the first geocaching organization to form. :laughing::D

As we get ready to celebrate our 7th Anniversary in June, it would be great to have one of your hiking staffs as a prize for our event. Our "Geocaching Olympics" will feature things like Log Rolling, GPS Figure Skating, and running events such as a Multi-"Cache" Run for pacers and a Skirtlifter Dash for the sprinters out there. Even cacher's brains can get a workout in ROT13 Decryption!

Great contest El D! Thanks for considering the GGA.

Please add my vote for the GGA.

gga_logo.gif

We were the first geocaching organization to form. :laughing::D

As we get ready to celebrate our 7th Anniversary in June, it would be great to have one of your hiking staffs as a prize for our event. Our "Geocaching Olympics" will feature things like Log Rolling, GPS Figure Skating, and running events such as a Multi-"Cache" Run for pacers and a Skirtlifter Dash for the sprinters out there. Even cacher's brains can get a workout in ROT13 Decryption!

Great contest El D! Thanks for considering the GGA.

Please add my vote for the GGA.

I have cached in several states but i have to cast my vote for my home state and the GGA!!

GGA GGA GGA

]A vote for the GGA is a vote for TRUTH, JUSTICE, and the AMERICAN WAY!!!!!We care for our wives ,widows and orphans..We embody that pioneer spirit that made this a GREAT NATION !

WE ARE NO. ONE [ 1 ]!!!

BTW, I am sick and in need of a brain operation,and this Staff would be auctioned off to,first take care of our wives ,widows ,and orphans and any remainder to go to my operation. :laughing:

Poppoppig

Edited by poppoppig

Hm...no one put this in for our area yet.

SNEGEOCACHERS

We have members from most of the new england states, and have meet & greets once a month. Additionally, we also have several small get togethers that include both geocaching as well as CITO several times a year. A fun, lighthearted group, never any drama over there. I have been a mod since it was started in 2006, and have yet to do my job! Great bunch of folks there!

Edited by oldsoldier

Definitely the AGA--Alabama Geocaching Association

This group definitely has been a lifesaver to me. After my husband died, I needed new interests to get me to move on with my life. I was introduced to geocaching and soon met up with this group of people. They have meant more to me than you can imagine and have gotten me to get out and do things I never imagined. Thanks, AGA!!!!

Just as a reminder that you have until 10:24 pm EST today to submit your organization. After that time no other submissions will be allowed. Voting will begin at 10:25 pm EST. All votes will be sent to me via email at JC364@aol.com and will last one week. If you vote more than once all of your votes will be voided.

Good luck.

El Diablo

I'm confused! I see a lot of folks posted for the AGA here, are you now saying they should have emailed you instead?

Good luck.

El Diablo

I'm confused! I see a lot of folks posted for the AGA here, are you now saying they should have emailed you instead?

No. The organizations were to have been nominated in this thread prior to Feb 29th at 10:25 pm est. I've made a few exceptions. AGA is one of them. This is my contest, my rules, most importantly...my hiking staff. AGA is in the contest.

My intentions are to bring awareness to the organizations and what they do for the sport/hobby. AGA is well respected along with all the others. If the leaders of these organizations could see what is written to me in the email votes, they would be proud.

Even though AGA may have missed the deadline for nomination, I believe they still qualify under the intended spirit of the contest.

El Diablo

It's nice to see so many people showing support for your organizations. Just a reminder that only votes that are emailed to me at JC364@aol.com will count. Otherwise it would be impossible for me to tell who voted by email, in the forums, or both.

El Diablo

Could you please clarify when the voting will end, date and time? Thanks.

It's nice to see so many people showing support for your organizations. Just a reminder that only votes that are emailed to me at JC364@aol.com will count. Otherwise it would be impossible for me to tell who voted by email, in the forums, or both.

El Diablo

March 6th 10:25 pm est.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Good luck.

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

If voting began on the 29th, wouldn't one week later be the 7th?

Good luck.

El Diablo

El Diablo

El Diablo

If voting began on the 29th, wouldn't one week later be the 7th?

Maybe. I don't have a calender handy. Whatever this Friday is at 10:25pm is will be the deadline.

El Diablo

So far this is a very very tight competition. From what I see right now it's going to come down to a few votes deciding the winner. There are 5 organizations right now that are seperated by less than 3 votes.

Also I wish people would post here in the thread the things they are writing to me in emails. There is a lot of pride out there! I love reading the stories and thoughts, but keep in mind I'm not the one you have to convince.

El Diablo

[quote name='Lancerkath' date='Feb 27 2008, 12:28 AM' post='3341762']

I am a proud member of the NGA - Nevada Geocaching Association. A great group of folks. We chat all the time, share stories, and just have an all around good time!

I can't post a fancy logo, but our home has a lots of content and lots of community!

Go Nevada Geocaching Association!

logo.gif

The NGA is a great association of Nevada cachers that offers great events like Meet & Greet Groundspeak & Garmin in Vegas.

The community also gathers informally for weekend and impromptu caching runs.

They offer area visiting cachers support before, during, and after a stay. When cachers are planning a trip to Nevada, they can contact NGA members through the Visitors section of the Forums or check out our Local's Favorite Caches bookmark list.

The NGA works in cooperation with the Nevada Commission on Tourism and other local and State agencies to promote responsible geocaching.

n6008412403_6971.jpg

The NGA also promotes Cache In Trash Out by sponsoring litter clean-up of Nevada's highways and holding CITO events.

2007FallCITO.jpg

Many caches by NGA members also promote Nevada's history of mining and its distinctive geologic features.

78999990-cfd2-4f6f-99aa-90d02ff96c24.jpg

Just remember...

nevada_b.jpg

Besides all the great things mentioned here, there is the people and the friends you meet along the way. It does get a little crazy when Moosemob and his alter ego Roadrunner join the pack. The there are the northerns that are always up for hosting a caching adventure when the southerns come to town and vice versa. The Cachers Anonomas group they enable this crazy addiction and even rescue stranded TBs atop a lonely mountain in frigid temps.

I'm a PROUD member of NGA, Nevada Rocks!!!! Remember always Hunt 4 Fun!!! ;)

Edited by Hunt 4 Fun

I would like to nominate

SJG SOUTH JERSEY GEOCACHERS

"The Home of South Jersey's Best Cachers & Stashers"

SJGs.jpg

The South Jersey Geocaching Organization exists to promote the sport of geocaching within Southern New Jersey. We are a group of active geocachers who use the resources of the South Jersey Geocaching Organization to socialize with other members, work cooperatively with land managers on our members' behalf and to promote responsible geocaching within our membership in our area. We invite all geocachers living, actively caching or interested in geocaching in Southern New Jersey to join us (Membership is free!)

This site provides a structured setting for members to interact with one another. We have forums, polls, chat and an event calendar to help keep our members abreast of what's happening around our area.

South Jersey Geocaching exists as a community effort. The administration of this site is a responsibility shared by several Coordinators. Multiple Coordinators keep this club running smoothly by keeping this club from having to depend on one individual in order to function. Sub-committees or ad hoc committees are formed with volunteer members when necessary to carry out different tasks. SJG is extremely grateful to these individuals who work behind the scenes in conjunction with the Coordinators to get things accomplished.

The group also has a "Cache of the Month", a Holiday Party, Group Outings and Events as well as educational outreach to other organizations, collections for Toys for Tots and the Cape May Zoo, CITO events & roadtrips.

I have only recently become involved with this group (less than a year) and have had so much fun and met so many wonderful people!

There is no better group of geocachers out there!!!!

I would like to nominate ---SJG SOUTH JERSEY GEOCACHERS

I'll second that nomination. Great bunch of cachers who cover the South of Jersey. We don't have mountains but we do have Pines and cedars, beaches and marshes, urban and rural - just about everything but mountains! We also know how to stash caches and enjoy the game!

I would like to nominate

SJG SOUTH JERSEY GEOCACHERS

"The Home of South Jersey's Best Cachers & Stashers"

SJGs.jpg

I have only recently become involved with this group (less than a year) and have had so much fun and met so many wonderful people!

There is no better group of geocachers out there!!!!

I'll throw in with SJG as well (no surprise there to the folks who know us!) Like the other groups featured here, SJG has it's share of fun (camping, road trips, kayakking, holiday parties, events, contests, cache of the month spotlights, etc) but also has a great core group of cachers who generously give back to the region through CITOs, educational seminars, and annual toy donations, canned good donations, and zoo donations.

SJG also encourages its members to support other regional cache groups (SEPAG, CNJG, NNJC, DEGeocaching) and to attend their events and CITOs as well. SJG has also worked with State Park Rangers, the Nature Conservancy, the Pinelands Preservation Alliance and various civic clubs to promote geocaching to a broader audience.

My vote goes in for South Jersey Geocachers. Besides all of the great things that have already been said, I can add that this group has made a huge impact on our family in such a positive way, we have made some awesome friends. They really support the advancement of geocaching and being an active part of the community in which we cache in.

I too am placing my vote with South Jersey. I am also fairly new to the group, though in the time I have been apart of them I have seen some pretty cool things going on. They are very well organized and as I learned last weekend when I met a bunch of them for the first time they are also extremely nice people. I am looking forward to getting to know the rest and to helping the group expand further.

[SJG.jpg