Support your local geocaching organization

El Diablo

Lets hear why your local organization is the best. Tell us what they have done for caching in your community.

I'll create a El Diablo hiking staff for the oraganization to do do with as they may, and also one for the person that best described them.

After the nominations are in we'll have a vote to decide the winner. One week from now to submit, and one week after that to vote.

El Diablo

USCGALogo.jpg

Our local group, the Upstate South Carolina Geocaching Association, has only been in existance for about two and a half years or so.

In that time, our members have unselfishly held numerous CITO's, been featured in several newspaper articles, created geocoins, had travel-bug races, Christmas Light Virtual challenges, fund-raising events for local charities, as well as donated truck-loads of food, clothing, blankets, toys, shoes, toiletries, etc. to such charities as the Red Cross, Miracle Hill Ministries, local pregnancy, women's and children's shelters.

Along the way, we promote the hobby of Geocaching in a positive way, encourage members, and then, on top of it all, have FUN at camping, paddling, disc-golfing, cook-off contests, baseball games, flash mobs, kiddie-caching events, and who-knows-what-else is on the horizon!

Not too bad for a motley crew of folks who share the desire to revert to a childlike time and play hide-and-seek...

With the motto, "No Dues, Just Shoes," we encourage all to come out, cache with a purpose, and share a smile!

Edited by Hockeyhick

Our Local Group is Prince George and area Cachers

PGAC_logo_e107.jpg

We just started last fall and have 27 members and are growing.

We have held one event and sponsored another we are snow bound right now so not everyone in the area knows about us. Our goal is to Promote responsible Geocaching as a fun family oriented activity.

We have organized a GPS Golf Tournament as well as a couple GPS Poker games to keep the local Cachers from going stir crazy.

We can't wait for the snow to go and are in the planning stages for a Travelbug race, CITO event, WWFM event as well as a few meet and greets and events over the coming summer.

Edited by plumbrokeacres

CenterLogo3.png

We're a group of almost 200 cachers, we have monthly meetings (we're up to 18 monthly meetings w/o a single break, now, click HERE for our last meeting's event page), anyone can join (though we meet monthly in SoCal, we have members from all over America), and we're 100% non-profit. There's no hierarchy of power, no "boards of directors," and we're all equals in our Cache Addiction.

River City Geocaching and Dining Society

7371a6fe-f82a-43ae-af41-4ef0e83480d8.jpg

RCGDS website

Going back to the very early days of geoching (long before I was involved) the RCGDS has been an active group in the Greater Sacramento area. RCGDS members host events on the second Saturday of every month in an unbroken streak going back years.

RCGDS is a very welcoming and ever growing group. There are regularly 100+ attendees at our events. RCGDS "members" range from the casual geocacher to the obsessed.

Recently RCGDS, along with other Northern California groups, took on the challenge of planning Geowoodstock 6, which will in all likelyhood be the largest single event ever organized to date.

MiGOSealHeader.gif

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources had a paid permit system in place for several years for cache placement. MiGO members worked with the DNR to modify that system; last year, MiGO announced the new permit system: with permission from the local park, caches are now allowed in the millions of acres of DNR-managed lands, with no permit fee to be charged to the cache owner.

MiGO is also active in park clean-ups, Adopt-a-Highways, and Adopt-a-Forest areas. In 2006, the SW region met at a local open space land area and spent the day over-filling a dumpster pulling out all the refuse dumped in the area by the previous owners. Water heaters, broken glass, metal shelving, etc. all came out, to help make the area more enjoyable by all.

MiGO also has an active Rescue Mission - any 'abandoned' caches, archived without any evidence of them being pulled or active on another site are added to the rescue mission. Out of over 400 caches listed, cahcers have removed the Geo-Trash at 93% of them.

The first weekend of February, MiGO teamed up with a Grand Rapids Museum to put on a demonstration, in conjunction with the museum's newest exhibit - MAPS. They brought information, cache containers, and GPSrs to the museum, taught people about GPS, and even took some brave souls (it was pretty cold) out to find a cache placed especially for the exhibit.

But best of all, it's the people. I haven't met anyone at a MiGO event that hasn't been friendly or helpful. They're always ready to help people, cachers and muggles alike.

There's just so much that makes MiGO great!

(oops! Linky bits broken!)

Edited by PJPeters

SCSGPGNcombo.gif

Why is our local organization the best?

Our organization, the South Carolina Society of Geocaching (myscsg.com) was founded and chartered September 6th 2007. Our mission is to bring cachers together in celebration of the finest family sport: Geocaching. The SCSG's goal is to promote the sport of geocaching, an appreciation of the outdoors, and good enviromental stewardship, through cooperative efforts with South Carolina geocachers and land management officials.

We are a progressive organization. Dedicated to the needs and interests of geocachers everywhere. For us, it is not about the organization, but about the geocaching. In our short half year, we have sponsored many successful geocaching events including a bold multi-event CITO run with the goal of cleaning the

many parks and rest areas along I85; America's 100 mile corridor through South Carolina.

Our website is dedicated to the enthusiasm and education of geocaching. Recent articles have covered tutorials on the use of Geocache Navigator, and at events we have given away several cell phones that are compatable with this wonderful application.

What have we done for caching in our community?

Seeing the needs of fellow geocachers in South Carolina, the Palmetto Geocaching Network was founded. This marvel of media was designed to provide a media presence for those clubs and organizations without websites and forums. Providing free website space, and technical support to those in need. The SCPC and the CSRA are two organizations we support and fellow with. Currently, there are plans to provide these services for an organization in South Georgia as we reach out to geocachers throughout our region and support them.

Knowing that many geocachers love their dogs and take them caching with them, we are in the planning stages of holding a "Geo-Pet Pageant". This event will celebrate our "best friends" and the procedes from it will be donated to the Greenville South Carolina Humane Society. We hope to bring about awareness of the need of nuetering and spaying of pets and the need and low cost of having ones pet "micro-chipped" to help reunite the pet with their favorite geocacher in the unlikely event that they get lost.

And we have only just begun!

In the future, our theme of "Building a Better Society" will continue to be our focus. GPSFun, our local volunteer reviewer said it best at our inaugural meeting when he said: "...the purpose of a geocaching organization is to serve..." and those are the words we live by.

Edited by waypointazoid

I would like to recommend the North East Florida Geocaching Association, NEFGA, for this honor.

nefga_3x5_oval_107.jpg

The mission statement for NEFGA is:

The Northeast Florida Geocachers Association promotes the sport of geocaching, educates new and continuing members in the sport and provides fun, creative and educational "event caches". The NEFGA is a central place for the sharing of geocaching-related information for Northeast Florida.

For many organizations, this would be mere hyperbole. For NEFGA, it is a way of life.

Consider my initial meeting: I went to an event in the Ocala National Forest, hosted by The Federation, who was, and still is, a central figure in NEFGA. I had never been to an event before, and had never even met another cacher before. Up to that point, I was kinda wondering if the existence of other cachers was just a myth. As I approached the event site with a degree of trepidation, Fed called me over, introduced himself and right away started talking to me about one of my caches. I thought it was so kewl that someone with a gazillion finds under their belt would still be able to put a face with a hide, especially since it was a face he'd never met, and a find he hadn't done. As we chatted some more, I mentioned how much I admired his personal geocoin, (which hadn't been available in a long time), and he reached in his pocket and handed me one. It sits on my desk in a place of honor, to this date. What really sets this group apart from all others is the fact that this greeting was not unusual by their standards. This level of enthusiasm is routine for NEFGA'ns. Welcoming newcomers is one of their strongest traits.

NEFGA hosts an annual event called "Florida Finders Fest", which has been voted the best event in the state. The theme of "FFF" is Food, Finds and Fellowship. They produced a way kewl geocoin for the event this year, and that coin is another one of my little treasures. This year's "FFF" had 117 attendees, and judging by the logs, next year's will be even bigger. The three day weekend encompassed 4 separate events. A chili dinner, the main event, (which included a 6 mile hike caching challenge, a poker run caching challenge and a still ongoing TB race), a late night Jeep caching run and a CITO.

NEFGA is so into events they even produced an 18 page .pdf file detailing everything you ever wanted to know about Event Hosting 101. NEFGA also regularly holds what they refer to as "Invasions", where they will load up a boat load of cachers and target a specific geographic area far from home. The fun and camaraderie found in this group is unequaled anywhere.

NEFGA produces a regular publication called The Ammo Can, which is chock full of member submissions, to include interviews, event coverage and great caching stories.

For those of us who love geocoins, we can all offer thanks to NEFGA for their instrumental work in creating the ability to have unique icons for coins.

NEFGA hosted GeoWoodstock 3 in Jacksonville, an event many multi GW attendees claim as the best GW ever.

NEFGA also hosts an annual caching for the holidays event whose goal is to accumulate toys for needy families. Last year's collection was so large it just barely fit into a Cherokee when it was time to make the delivery.

NEFGA keeps on the cutting edge of geo-trends, hosting events to teach members about paperless caching and Waymarking, as well as regular caching classes for beginners.

Bottom line? No organization opens its hearts to everyone quite like NEFGA.

You guys rock!

Edited by Clan Riffster

MIGO

I'd like to nominate MiGO as well! I have been honored to be elected to the MiGO family and do hope to be able to do my part!! I really am excited about the great things MiGO has done and is continuing to do to better our caching experience here in Michigan as well as the overall promoting of Geocaching!

MiGO members are the fine people who host the Midwest Geobash every year, this MEGA event really is a well run festival of fun!! Many of our members actually volunteer to run this weekend event (used to be a week long event), some come out to camp and set up 2-3 days in advance and even stay a day or so extra to assure the clean-up is complete!!

MiGO has worked very hard to allow it's members to place caches free in the state parks (it used to be $30 for up to 3 hides until MiGO worked out their deal with the DNR. Now, it's free for all members as MiGO foots the bill yearly), we've really built a wonderful relationship with the DNR. Since our agreement, we've had many of our parks managers approach US to place hides in their parks (talk about a change, they ask us to help them by placing caches...WOW). I'm currently working on a donation to my local state park, I want to donate at least 2 GPS units so they can lend them out to the visitors who'd like to try geocaching before committing to buying a GPS unit! It's a win/win for all of us as MiGO then gets more cachers visiting MiGO member caches and the park will get more visitors which helps fund them for another year keeping them open for use!

MiGO also works with MUCC (Michigan United Conservation Club). This is a club dedicated to the protection and conservation of our great outdoors while promoting safe and fun recreation. MUCC has helped us to get the word out about caching and it's benefits! MiGO also works with the MRPA (Michigan Recreation and Parks Association), this is a group based on the management of our parks and rec areas. We have set up a booth at the MRPA meeting every year since our involvement, this has really helped us to keep our finger on the pulse of the management of our lands! Together with the MRPA, we've been able to gain access to parks once off-limits to cachers, we've opened the minds and lands of managers who once thought of caching as a "buried treasure hunt". The way MiGO leaders have worked with these organizations has been wonderful, we have made some great friends (and allies) with the DNR, MUCC and MRPA...a big help to the future of caching!

MiGO has recently received the REI grant for their hard work with REI! MiGO was nominated for this grant (given to non-profit orgs whose goals are environmentally motivated) by an employee of REI as we've had some wonderful dealings with these folks. It's GREAT to be recognized as a friend of nature by these great people, the grant will be put to good use! Plans for the grant include a lending library which includes 14 or so brand new GPS units , videos, classroom handouts and books geared toward educating future cachers and promote geocaching and proper land etiquette. The lending library will be available to ANY group wishing to host a GC 101 class and we're even more than willing to go along to help teach!! The library is free to use, all that's needed is the cost of shipping and the willingness to learn and have fun. This library is a great bonus to groups such as schools, conservation clubs and the scouts!! Another part of the grant has been used for buying quality CITO equipment for our members!! We've picked up around 100 of those tools used by the road crews and such for picking up trash, these tools will be provided to all the regions of MiGO for CITO use!! MiGO is very active in the CITO of our lands, we host big CITO events every year and always promote the CITO aspect at all our outings and classes!

MiGO members are activily working with the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts to promote caching and to teach our future cachers the proper use of navigation devices such as the GPSr as well as to better educate them as to proper land etiquette! These youngsters are potentially the future of caching, best to get them off on the right foot!! I've personally hosted a few Girl Scout GC 101 workshops and have more slated for this spring, it's AWESOME to see the youngsters' faces just light up when given the opportunity to get out and play...some of these girls are inner-city and have very little! It amazes me how fast these young ladies pick up on the functions of the GPS...and how quickly they catch on to the hunt!! So much fun and so rewarding for us as well as the kids!! The Girl Scouts are now actually awarding badges (or are they patches??) for GPS usage and caching...GREAT!!

Lastly, MiGO is my FAMILY, it always amazes me how close all of our members are! Whether you are new to MiGO or have been around for awhile, you are instantly welcomed into our family!! Everyone looks out for each other, we all care! Recently, my GPS units, coins and other caching equipment were stolen from my Jeep...I was lost! My money is tight (as is everyone's I suppose), so I just couldn't afford to replace anything and my insurance all but laughed at me! The GC forums really came to my aid by donating coins and sending me encouragement (I was really down as I'd lost my collection and my caching ability all at once)...but one person really went the extra mile. That person just happened to be a MiGO member! I'd never met this member before (nor he me) and was really toucjed when this great person sold coins to buy me a new GPS unit to replace my stolen one. This in itself isn't so big a deal (lots of people had donated coins and such to me and I even had an eTrex yellow and a PDA sent to me), BUT, the way it was presented me was AWESOME!! I got a message in the MiGO forums that a newb cacher wanted to head out on Christmas to check out his new GPS unit (new to caching and wanted someone to show him the ropes...I thought). Being Christmas, I decided I'd do it since not many others likely had the time (wrong there, many actually volunteered to help out), and was thoroughly surprised and delighted by the events which came about!! This newb cacher actually let me lead him out to one of our hides and tell him all the crazy things a newb should know about caching (I carried on about how paperless caching is the way to go, how to follow the arrow until you get to within 30' etc), and then he acts the newb part well by acting as if he just couldn't find the cache. After his "find" he quickly writes a log in the book and asks me to proof it while he fumbled in his bag. The note was actually his confession that he had duped me! While standing there dumbfounded, Maldar (the "newb"...hey, this guy has been caching since the beginning of caching) presented me with my new GPS and some wonderful gifts for my familt (money was tight and he knew I was struggling). This was one Christmas that I'll NEVER forget!! And all because of the love of a MiGO member!

MiGO has members from all over the USA and even outside the USA, MiGO is a well-known organization! I am PROUD to be a MiGO member and even prouder yet to have been elected to help with the MiGO cause!! Let me share a story with you...the other day, I was asked why MiGO members seem so proud to be members and why we continually "boast" of our org and it's workings! My answer was simple...we have a caring group of cachers dedicated to bettering their caching experience through working with the PTB and local landowners! WE ARE FAMILY!!

The best one in this area is the CSpenceFLY Geocaching Asso. It's a small group so the politics are kept to a minimum. There is almost never an arguement. We do light cache maintenance when we find one that needs a little work and CITO whenever we cache. We bring friends along whenever we can and have several that have started caching on a regular basis.

gga_logo.gif

We were the first geocaching organization to form. :laughing::blink:

As we get ready to celebrate our 7th Anniversary in June, it would be great to have one of your hiking staffs as a prize for our event. Our "Geocaching Olympics" will feature things like Log Rolling, GPS Figure Skating, and running events such as a Multi-"Cache" Run for pacers and a Skirtlifter Dash for the sprinters out there. Even cacher's brains can get a workout in ROT13 Decryption!

Great contest El D! Thanks for considering the GGA.

GeocachingLogo.gifbannerText.gif

MnGCA Website

The MnGCA was formed in 2002. We currently have just under 1000 registered users. We hold Monthly get together events as well as other events such as Tech Events, Poker Runs, and 2 Large events each year. In 2006 we worked with the state parks to allow geocaching there as well as State forests. This year we are working with the states parks to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Minnesota by setting up special caches that will promote geocaching. We have worked with local counties and cities to set up regulations for caches and different permitting processes. We have launched a cache game for Minnesota cachers Called the laker game which is now ended and we are in development of a new game. We have had Geocoins made in 2006 (Nontrackable) and 2007(trackable) as well as our own Wooden Nickels (Somewhat trackable). King Boreas who is #1 is caches hidden is apart of the MnGCA. We have Cache of the Month Voting. We have Board Members and yearly voting of new boards. We are a very friendly and welcoming group of cachers that are aimed at making geocaching better for everyone.

I am a proud member of the NGA - Nevada Geocaching Association. A great group of folks. We chat all the time, share stories, and just have an all around good time!

I can't post a fancy logo, but our home has a lots of content and lots of community!

Yay NGA! , we have two groups in Nevada. We have GBES Great Basin Eastern Sierra Geocachers which is primarily Northern Nevada (Reno). Just in the past few weeks we've gotten an actual forum together (Woooot Doodad!!! :D ) and then there is the NGA which is primarily Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) We all are generally members of both and like to razz each other on which end of the state is better. But we all know the Northies have it ;);)

edited for my horrific spelling skills ;)

Edited by LostinReno

I am a proud member of the NGA - Nevada Geocaching Association. A great group of folks. We chat all the time, share stories, and just have an all around good time!

I can't post a fancy logo, but our home has a lots of content and lots of community!

Yay NGA! , we have two groups in Nevada. We have GBES Great Basin Eastern Sierra Geocachers which is primarily Northern Nevada (Reno). Just in the past few weeks we've gotten an actual forum together (Woooot Doodad!!! ;) ) and then there is the NGA which is primarily Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) We all are generally members of both and like to razz each other on which end of the state is better. But we all know the Northies have it ;):D

edited for my horrific spelling skills ;)

The GBES is a great group of people!

Can't forget to mention the rally held every june. What a great experience for all the family. Scenery, challenges, adventure, good people and geocaches. Perfect! Come join us if you can!

I would like to second Riffster's nomination of NEFGA

3073c8c5-84b2-4c0f-8747-789ac4018064.jpg

While I can't imagine improving upon Clan_Rifster's nomination of NEFGA, I also can't resist adding my second to his nomination. Northeast Florida Geocachers Assosciation (NEFGA) is, by far, without a doubt, the best Geocaching organization in the world.

The caches in the 12 Florida counties that make up NEFGA are an example of all the best in geocaching - quality, quantity, challenge and diversity. Our caches are well maintained and, thru working with local land managers, we have retained access to nearly all available public land, mostly without permit. Maintenance is encouraged by the community and NEFGA members do not hesitate to step in and maintain a cache for an absentee owner, including quality swag. From the urban caches of Jacksonville, to the ammo cans of the Osceola and Ocala National Forest, I can attest that there is truly no better caching in the world.

NEFGA boasts a number of caches that have attracted National and indeed worldwide interest. Starting with "The Federation Must Pay", NEFGA has an abundance of "must do" caches. And the beauty part is that all a visitor need do is post an inquiry on the NEFGA forums or email a local and they will have a nice list of just the types of caches they love to do. And we've got something for all tastes. Not only are NEFGA members happy to recommend caches to out of towners, give us a little notice and we'll usually post an event in your honor. That is if there isn't an event already going on.

NEFGA is a leader in geocaching events. Since NEFGA's founding in June of 2003, hardly a month has gone by without at least one event. In fact, it's getting to the point that hardly a weekend goes by without an event somewhere in NEFGAland. NEFGA itself sponsors a number of events, including the annual Florida Finders Fest, Caching for the Holidays, CITO, our Election event and an annual educational event.

As mentioned by Riffster, NEFGA's events focus on the "Three Fs" - Food, Finds and Fellowship. Many of our events attract travelers and it's not unusual at all for attendes, both local and out of the area to post that one of our events was one the best they ever attended. Many people have taken ideas from NEFGA events and brought them back to their home area to try. A process we refer to as "Assimilation".

One of NEFGA's proudest moments was sponsoring Geowoodstock 3. While other organizations have since stepped up to the plate and done a great job, many of the attendees of GW3 would say that NEFGA set the standard for future Geowoodstocks. I can personally say that I made freinds all over the world at GW3, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Riffster's recount of his meeting The Federation is indeed par for the course in NEFGAland. While the thrill of the hunt is at the heart of geocaching, NEFGA realizes that it's the "community" that keeps it going. Come to a NEFGA event and you won't need to introduce yourself, you'll find NEFGA members approaching you to introduce themselves. The warmth and generosity I've seen in NEFGA is unparalleled.

While NEFGA's stated mission is to serve it's 12 counties, we have members from all over the state, indeed all over the country. We are proud to have people who drive many miles to attend our events and become active members in our community. Many of our members, including myself, would say that their best friends are NEFGAns

3bc95e7f-a2bf-4ac1-917e-bcc488a0c8b1.jpg

Well, we have been around since November of 2005. Our "giving to the community" has been through CITO and trying to get the good word about caching out to folks who don't know about it. We started as a group when our state group the SCGA was fighting the bill that almost stopped caching in South Carolina. We have all heard about that bit of unpleasantness.

We aren't into the politics and have enjoyed the fact that we haven't had a major split in our group by staying laid back and pretty much being a loosely organized group of cachers. We do promote caching as a family friendly sport and try to contact new cachers in our area as soon as we see them on the cache pages. While we do enjoy our associations with other groups I think one of the most rewarding has been our association with the Pee Dee Cachers here in our area. They are dedicated to the same ideals we are. It's nice to have common goals. We also have a great contact in the CSRA all the way on the other end of the state with Geoholic28 who moved there to teach at a school in North Augusta.

One thing that really hit me was two Saturdays ago we had a CITO that drew people from all over the state. Two of the folks from the USCGA, Hawaiian Ninja and HockeyHick, came and helped out. We had a cacher come all the way from Georgia, one of my favorite cachers, GTQ. One thing that touched is that I really didn't know most of these people until I saw them throw in and help. It was our biggest CITO yet! We literally had representatives from 5 groups with us. Midlands, USCGA, Pee Dee, CSRA, and us the SCPC. It was a great time and for some their first event.

All in all, we give as much as we can because we can never give back as much as caching gives to us. I would like to possibly approach El Diablo to make a staff for us just for our CITO's for cachers to log as a TB.

Give them a little something extra for all their hard work.

Well, that's us!

This is a great idea El Diablo. I hope someone wins it who really deserves it.

(Sorry about the big honking logo!)

Edited by DoctorWho

Go Nevada Geocaching Association!

logo.gif

The NGA is a great association of Nevada cachers that offers great events like Meet & Greet Groundspeak & Garmin in Vegas.

The community also gathers informally for weekend and impromptu caching runs.

They offer area visiting cachers support before, during, and after a stay. When cachers are planning a trip to Nevada, they can contact NGA members through the Visitors section of the Forums or check out our Local's Favorite Caches bookmark list.

The NGA works in cooperation with the Nevada Commission on Tourism and other local and State agencies to promote responsible geocaching.

n6008412403_6971.jpg

The NGA also promotes Cache In Trash Out by sponsoring litter clean-up of Nevada's highways and holding CITO events.

2007FallCITO.jpg

Many caches by NGA members also promote Nevada's history of mining and its distinctive geologic features.

78999990-cfd2-4f6f-99aa-90d02ff96c24.jpg

Just remember...

nevada_b.jpg

MiGO-tshirt-08.jpg

I Love MiGO! :(

Michigan Geocaching Organization (MiGO) was formed by the vision of a few at an event early in 2002. MiGO has been a Michigan 501©(7) non-profit organization since 2004. No board member, Executive Committee member, Chapter Vice Presidents or any other member have been paid a penny for their volunteer work with the organization. MiGO could have said we had over 1400 members early last year, but realized no member ever dropped off MiGO rolls, so now, with expiring memberships, we can actually say we have over 700 active members.

MiGO holds 'Geocaching 101' clinics for schools, scouting groups, churches, senior centers and day camps for kids. Our 1-800 number receives calls from throughout the state and we seek out local volunteers to immediately help the callers. Our state, like most, has an organization called the Michigan Recreation and Parks Association (MRPA). This organization is the group that every park system in Michigan belongs to, including the Michigan DNR. MiGO has set up a booth in the midway at the annual MPRA convention for the past 5 years. MiGO has a couple of instructors that are certified to teach a class on geocaching at the MPRA training center, where attendees get a continuing education credit toward their recreation degree. MiGO works side by side with MRPA all year long and in 2004 we were presented with the community service award from Oakland County parks during the MRPA annual convention. Every state has a Chapter of the National Recreation and Parks Association, check out yours here.

CITO: Michigan is our playground and MiGO is doing its part to keep our playground clean. From Adopt-A-Highway projects in each of it's four Chapter's, to the multiple CITO events throughout Michigan all year long. MiGO's Northern NL Chapter Vice President held so many Forest clean-ups last year, that the Michigan DNR division called Adopt-A-Forest and asked him to join their Board of Directors. Chad accepted the position, but still heads the MiGO NL Chapter.

sign002.jpg

MiGO Scholarships: In 2007, MiGO initiated $500 yearly in scholarship funds. These scholarships will be awarded to an applicant who is studying toward a degree in outdoor recreation, conservation, environmental studies, or a related field.

Education: Educating Michigan geoachers about responsible outdoor ethics is a program MiGO Leadership truly believes in. In 2006 we brainstormed how to use our site and programs to educate people on this important issue. We all have heard of "Leave No Trace" and the other organization called "Treadlightly!" that supplies organizations with ethical brochures, coloring books, banners and many other educational supplies for cost of shipping only. MiGO quickly became an alliance member of TreadLightly!. We since have 4 MiGO members who are certified and licensed Treadlightly instructors in the state. I believe Groundspeak and MiGO are the only geocaching groups affiliated with any outdoor ethics Educational organization.

Youth Education: MiGO is currently working with the Michigan United Conservation Clubs (MUCC) to hold 'Geocaching 101' classes for 80 youths per week, 3 classes per day, during 8 week-long Youth Camps, to be held at the MUCC summer camp at Waterloo State Park campgrounds. Geocaching will round out MUCC's classes for outdoor recreational activities which include Archery, Kayaking, Canoeing, Riflery, Plant and Tree Identification, First Aid, etc. All classes are offered each week during the 8 week period.

Geocoins I don't think Geocoins really tell how good an organization is but if you want to compare them, MiGO produced an annual geocoin in 2004 using the GX logo and in 2005 we minted a trackable version, 2006 Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, 2007 Mackinac Bridge, 2008 we'll soon have the

Edmund Fitzgerald coin. We've also minted four seasonal coins in 2006 and 2007, for a total of 16 coins minted. A couple of MiGO board members got so good at the Geocoin business that they ventured off to start personalgeocoins.com, geocoinstore.com and more recently, pathtags.com.

Recognition: Cyclops, a past Chapter Vice President, along with others, donated their time by having outdoor booths and teaching 101 classes for a couple of years at both Michigan REI stores. MiGO received notification form the REI corporate offices that we were nominated to apply for a grant. MiGO was shocked, since they had no idea of the possibility of a grant, but quickly assembled a proposal for the grant of $5000.00 to be used on educational supplies and CITO tools. MiGO, after winning the bid, is now in the process of building the MiGO Lending Library, complete with 14 GPS units, 10 geocaching DVD's. 5 types of Geocaching and GPS Books, (30 books total), and various classroom handouts and literature on MiGO, geocaching, and outdoor ethics. These materials will be free to use for the price of shipping only, with a Credit card used as a deposit. 100 quality CITO trash grabbers are also on the way and will be divided equally among the 4 MiGO chapters.

REIGrant.jpg

Service Awards: Every year, at MiGO's Annual Winter Social, the Board of Directors awards certain members with a limited edition silver coin in recognition of the time and effort they put into raising awareness of geocaching throughout Michigan, i.e. teaching Geocaching 101 classes, hosting events, promoting outdoor ethics and all around involvement in geocaching in Michigan.

* You've already heard about the MiGO cache rescue mission that has been operating since 2003.

* You've already heard that after four years of negotiation, MiGO got the DNR to drop the current permit fee of $35.00 per cache placement on state lands down to FREE for MiGO members.

Thanks for the topic,

Gary

Edited by Team CoyChev

7d90ec8a-1442-449a-9048-896ee4f4cbd4.jpg

The Northern NJ Cachers have made some great contributions to the local community. When a cache thief was active in the area, the NNJC organized a group of guys to lie in wait at a new cache with baseball bats. Lets just say that the cache thief has "reformed".

When a state legislator tried to pass legislation to ban the sport, the NNJC made a very nice donation to his "campaign fund" and the legislation was dropped.

Our president, Tony "The Nail" Divito has worked closely with parks officials to make sure that geocachers are always welcome. He has been so successful that park officials have been known to greet geocachers with a hug and kiss on the cheek and offer the use of park vehicles for getting to the cache and park offices for logging finds.

When a local geocacher was being prosecuted for trespassing, the NNJC visited with the witness, who realized after a short chat with the NNJC board, that he wasn't wearing his glasses at the time and it was a case of mistaken identity.

The NNJC has certainly benefited the local caching community. Oh, and Tony says he would like a hiking staff. He will be sending a few "associates" to your house make sure it's completed on time.

Well, I was gonna come in with a long song and dance about the wonderfulness of the Florida Geocaching Assocation (CITO is us) , and I figured that your association with Doc-Dean our former President might be a good influence on your thinking El Diablo.

BUT, after briansnat's post, I know that staff will be going to "Tony" of the NNJC, because you're fond of your legs, right? :(

:D

By the way, the SC cachers who worked together in blocking the legislation in SC that would have branded some geocaching as a felony, get my vote, now and forever. That law, had it passed, would have created legal precedent that would have affected us all. Hat's off to them.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

GBES_logo.jpg

Since the NGA posted oodles of stuff! Here it goes from the North! Again we are the Great Basin Eastern Sierra Geocachers, the OLDEST geocaching organization in Nevada. We've held a 4x4 Rally every year for the last four years. See herefor the link. Here are some photos from last years rally:

5aea91c7-08a7-4057-9a72-73d9712e0d25.jpg641a83b3-8fd4-4dde-8f6c-63ca4a039831.jpgb2091b7f-6c1d-4ffd-8997-f3730b6c03e1.jpg

They are currently working on the route for the '08 rally.

Here are some other photo's of the GBES and friends!

20167431-8838-4d0f-9315-35b69cf79619.jpg

logo.gif

I'd like to nominate the Arkansas Geocachers Association :(

The Arkansas Geocachers Association or ArkGeo started when the Arkansas State Parks figured out there were some geocaches in their parks, they started trying to figure out what geocaching was. As a knee-jerk reaction, the park commission decided to ban geocaching in our state parks.

There was a huge turnout of geocachers at a public hearing to discuss the issue, and we managed to convince them that geocaching was park friendly, and we weren't going to be destroying the parks. As a result, they agreed to permit geocaches in the state parks, with some restrictions and regulation.

After the meeting several geocachers got to talking and realized that they needed a way to discuss local issues such as this, as well as coordinating local events, etc. That afternoon, a Yahoo Groups discussion list was set up, and shortly after, the web page.

ArkGeo is a great organization dedicated to promoting this hobby in our state. It serves as a place for members to get together on the forums to share ideas or just joke around. Businesses and representatives of our state parks also post asking geocachers input on projects that they are working on.

Our very first annual event will be held on May 31st and March is the inaugural month for regularly scheduled monthly meetings to be held across the state.

The best thing about ArkGeo is of course its members. Everyone is super friendly and eager to help out whether you're asking a question about which GPSr to start geocaching with or needing volunteers for a boy scout outing or anything.

logo.gif

The NGA is a great association of Nevada cachers that offers great events like Meet & Greet Groundspeak & Garmin in Vegas.

They offer area visiting cachers support before, during, and after a stay. When cachers are planning a trip to Nevada, they can contact NGA members through the Visitors section of the Forums or check out our Local's Favorite Caches bookmark list.

The NGA works in cooperation with the Nevada Commission on Tourism and other local and State agencies to promote responsible geocaching.

n6008412403_6971.jpg

The NGA also promotes Cache In Trash Out by sponsoring litter clean-up of Nevada's highways and holding CITO events.

2007FallCITO.jpg

Many caches by NGA members also promote Nevada's history of mining and its distinctive geologic features.

Just remember...

nevada_b.jpg

Lancerkath summed it up extremely well.

The only thing I can think to add about the NGA is...

We're so awesome...

even :laughing: SIGNAL :laughing: is a member!

3bc95e7f-a2bf-4ac1-917e-bcc488a0c8b1.jpg

Well, we have been around since November of 2005. Our "giving to the community" has been through CITO and trying to get the good word about caching out to folks who don't know about it. We started as a group when our state group the SCGA was fighting the bill that almost stopped caching in South Carolina. We have all heard about that bit of unpleasantness.

We aren't into the politics and have enjoyed the fact that we haven't had a major split in our group by staying laid back and pretty much being a loosely organized group of cachers. We do promote caching as a family friendly sport and try to contact new cachers in our area as soon as we see them on the cache pages. While we do enjoy our associations with other groups I think one of the most rewarding has been our association with the Pee Dee Cachers here in our area. They are dedicated to the same ideals we are. It's nice to have common goals. We also have a great contact in the CSRA all the way on the other end of the state with Geoholic28 who moved there to teach at a school in North Augusta.

One thing that really hit me was two Saturdays ago we had a CITO that drew people from all over the state. Two of the folks from the USCGA, Hawaiian Ninja and HockeyHick, came and helped out. We had a cacher come all the way from Georgia, one of my favorite cachers, GTQ. One thing that touched is that I really didn't know most of these people until I saw them throw in and help. It was our biggest CITO yet! We literally had representatives from 5 groups with us. Midlands, USCGA, Pee Dee, CSRA, and us the SCPC. It was a great time and for some their first event.

All in all, we give as much as we can because we can never give back as much as caching gives to us. I would like to possibly approach El Diablo to make a staff for us just for our CITO's for cachers to log as a TB.

Give them a little something extra for all their hard work.

Well, that's us!

This is a great idea El Diablo. I hope someone wins it who really deserves it.

(Sorry about the big honking logo!)

I Love that big honking logo. When I started caching, I had one find under my belt and saw this group having a CITO(I had no idea what a CITO was) and I knew I was going to meet some people that knew more about this thing called Caching. I showed up and there was only one person there. More came and they were all such friendly people. We did 3 CITOs that day and then cached that night. I have only been a member for 3 months but everyone almost seems like family. When I am at a CITO everyone seems genuinley concerned about keeping our parks and playgrounds clean. I live about 50 miles from where SCPC is located, but it is a trip I gladly make to enjoy my friends and make a difference in a community. I take my daughter and show her that helping makes you feel good and always make a difference any way you can. I don't have much to add about why SCPC is a wonderful group. I just wanted to brag about a group of wonderful people.

T

Edited by teresajeepin76cj5

Well, I was gonna come in with a long song and dance about the wonderfulness of the Florida Geocaching Assocation (CITO is us) , and I figured that your association with Doc-Dean our former President might be a good influence on your thinking El Diablo.

BUT, after briansnat's post, I know that staff will be going to "Tony" of the NNJC, because you're fond of your legs, right? :anibad:

:laughing:

Tony hasn't met El Diablo. If he's lucky...he won't. :laughing: As far as infuence goes...I'm not going to decide the winner. I have way to many ties with the different organizations and their members. You the community will decide who deserves the staffs.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

I Love that big honking logo. When I started caching, I had one find under my belt and saw this group having a CITO(I had no idea what a CITO was) and I knew I was going to meet some people that knew more about this thing called Caching. I showed up and there was only one person there. More came and they were all such friendly people. We did 3 CITOs that day and then cached that night. I have only been a member for 3 months but everyone almost seems like family. When I am at a CITO everyone seems genuinley concerned about keeping our parks and playgrounds clean. I live about 50 miles from where SCPC is located, but it is a trip I gladly make to enjoy my friends and make a difference in a community. I take my daughter and show her that helping makes you feel good and always make a difference any way you can. I don't have much to add about why SCPC is a wonderful group. I just wanted to brag about a group of wonderful people.

T

Thanks T! Comments like that will get your dinner bought next time!

Seriously, new cachers like T and Flo are one of the really great reasons to have a group like ours. Thanks for the compliments!

I am proud to nominate MAGC, the Military Association of Geocachers.

logo_phpBB.gif

We have chapters throughout the US as well as Germany, Canada, Jordan, Korea, Japan, the UK, and a forward deployed chapter in Southwest Asia. We are mostly military, but you don't have to be military to join -- friends of the military are welcome, too.

We are dedicated to promoting geocaching in the military and to promoting military-community relations in our respective areas. For example, our last two MAGC-Germany events have been about a 50-50 mix of American military and local German cachers, all gathering around the table (or wandering through the woods together). Our non-deployed chapters also make a point of supporting our deployed members.

We are also devoted to local causes; for example, our Airborne Team in Fayetteville, NC, adopted a local park. Finally, with the military comes constant relocation and travel. Having chapters around the world means that just about anywhere a MAGC member goes, they can link up with someone who will welcome them to the area.

So, there you go!

I am proud to nominate MAGC, the Military Association of Geocachers.

logo_phpBB.gif

We have chapters throughout the US as well as Germany, Canada, Jordan, Korea, Japan, the UK, and a forward deployed chapter in Southwest Asia. We are mostly military, but you don't have to be military to join -- friends of the military are welcome, too.

We are dedicated to promoting geocaching in the military and to promoting military-community relations in our respective areas. For example, our last two MAGC-Germany events have been about a 50-50 mix of American military and local German cachers, all gathering around the table (or wandering through the woods together). Our non-deployed chapters also make a point of supporting our deployed members.

We are also devoted to local causes; for example, our Airborne Team in Fayetteville, NC, adopted a local park. Finally, with the military comes constant relocation and travel. Having chapters around the world means that just about anywhere a MAGC member goes, they can link up with someone who will welcome them to the area.

So, there you go!

I second the nomination for MAGC - a global association for a global community!

What to so about the "MAGC" Military Association of GeoCachers... http://www.militarycache.org

In just about 3 years time our organization grew from a few members near the US National Capital to a multi-naitional GeoCaching organization of those who defend our right to cache, and those folks who support them.

Since the group was formed several chapters have sprung up. As an organization we state as part of our purpose to not only support the military cacher, but also the local cache organizations and we have had great success at doing so, partnering from time to time with other "locaal" groups for CITO and other community actiivties.

Further more one of our direct missions is to help our soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen find good local caches and have a taste of our sport no matter where in the world they may be. This includes cachers that are in forward areas (our "combat cachers"). I've seen first hand how this helps morale on both sides of the coin. (Being host and having 'local cachers' help me find an area's best caches)

One of our other important to note goals is that we look to teach caching to others. Our volunteers stand ready to help what ever local community we are in (military or not) to learn about the fun of caching. Several of our members have helped to teach scouts, local organizations such as the Chesapeake Bay Restoration Center plan and organize geocaching events and programs.

Bottom line, we cache and have fun...

gc4c_130.png

GeoCachers4Christ was started in May 2007 by PsYko.NS of Halifax, Nova Scotia following yet another discussion in these forums about the appropriateness of leaving religious themed items in caches. Seeing the need for a place for Christian cachers to meet and discuss matters of faith, caching and life in general, he launched the GC4C forums. We have grown to the point where we now have nearly 100 members in half a dozen countries on four continents. Check here for maps and bookmark lists of member caches.

Our first geocoin has just been minted and should soon be finding their way into the wild. Well, at least some of them.

Our aim is to provide a forum that encourages and enhances opportunities for fellowship amongst Christian geocachers of all backgrounds. We hope that if you think we sound like something you might be interested you stop by and check out our forums. I think we have some great folks we'd love to have you.

To get on point and answer the questions, GC4C is the forum I visit first and most often because, I feel a real connection with my fellow members and believe we have a unique fellowship developing. We don't wish to compete with regionally based groups, but encourage our members to become more involved with them and help make them stronger. I know for instance that a majority of our members in my home state of Maryland are very involved with MGS.

Edited by DudleyGrunt

Our statewide group in Colorado is Geocaching Colorado (GCCO):

logo_final_140text.gif

It's the best geocaching group because we are focused on the openness and community ideals of geocaching. We allow everybody to share and learn through online resources and numerous fun and productive gatherings.

In contribution to geocaching, Geocaching Colorado members have and continue to give of their enjoyment, experiences, time, money for our geo-avocation to people, parks and public spaces for the good of geocaching everywhere.

Informally started by a group of concerned geocachers and open to all, striving onward by many intrepid member geocachers of this state and beyond.

Enjoy, educate and experience geocaching in our colorful state of Colorado and Geocaching Colorado is there for you.

Plus from my personal perspective, our geocaching group encourages and allows the individual to contribute to our community avocation in love of the game plus the lands that we revel on.

For Colorado geocaching is more than a single ideal or activity but an overall enjoyable friendly experience that allows one to participate in exploring this structure we call existence.

From one to many and all for the people…

Corey MrCOgeo,

A Proud Founding Member of GCCO

Just as a reminder that you have until 10:24 pm EST today to submit your organization. After that time no other submissions will be allowed. Voting will begin at 10:25 pm EST. All votes will be sent to me via email at JC364@aol.com and will last one week. If you vote more than once all of your votes will be voided.

In the event of a tie I will make the final decision on the winners.

It's time to rally your organizations!

Good luck.

El Diablo

I would like to submit

The Soaring Eagles United States Geocachers Association (SEUSA)

http://www.seusa-geocaching.org/

Which is a geocaching group for kids ages ten through eighteen. Their mission is to educate all people about geocaching and to get America’s youth involved.

If you ask me, anytime geocachers donate their time for children by introduce them to, educate them about, and involve them in all their geocaching activities, only tells me that geocachers are making sure this hobby sticks around long after we current adults are gone.

Way to go SEUSA!

I don't need a Diablo hiking staff. I already have one. But if this organization wins, please donate it to them.

Happy Geocaching!

My vote is for MIGO. This organization has really grown over the year and I have been part of it and watched.

MIGO is involved in local Geocaching 101 classes. They have set up a blanket permit system for the State Parks with the DNR. There is a scholarship available. There are several occasions when members of MIGO need help due to various reason and the leadership has stepped up to help them.

Also the various CITO projects throughtout the state.

Therefore my vote is for MIGO.

MiGOSealHeader.gifMiGO

I'm not quite sure what more can be said about MiGO after the glowing reviews of the last few MiGOers who have posted.

Everything I could ever want in a geocaching organization can be found in MiGO.

You want statewide coverage? Check.

You want a stong, supportive community? Check.

You want dedicated people running the organization? Check.

Name something else, anything else. Check.

While geocaching organizations are popping up frequently that represent a small area, MiGO represents and connects the entire state, and has succssfuly done so for six years, keeping members spread over hundreds of miles connected via the internet and fantastic all-organization events. The community was warm and welcoming from day one, and has become almost family to me (I think someone once described us all as aMIGOs).

The people behind MiGO are some of the most passionate for their cause. The Board of Directors is always a step ahead of everything, and constantly wows the community with the good they have done not only for MiGO's members, but for geocachers statewide and those who might want to join. In the few years of their existance, the regional vice presidents have fostered even greater regional camraderie, and have organized countless events, M&Gs, and informational sessions. The tech crew works tirelessly to keep the website afloat and constantly are improving it, listening to the community's input. The recently expanded Board of Directors works to preserve MiGO's achievements, and all of these groups get nothing for their time and effort but the eternal thanks of the membership.

I'm going to stop myself here, as I'm starting to feel fanatical, and may go on for pages about MiGO's enormously successful outreach and parks programs, fantastically friendly members, and strong mission statement and bylaws (which have been praised and adopted by many upstart organizations looking for a solid footing) if I don't shut up here. In conclusion:

Goooooooooooo MiGO!!

We would have to also Say MiGO

Even though we are from wisconsin, we go to as many events in Michigan as possible, Michigan Geocachers are the greatest in the world, our first event ever was in Michigan and if it wasnt for Gary and Donna of Team CoyChev telling us about all the fun that happens at different events we prob would have never attended one. There are members from all over the USA and other countries also.

Come and find out more about migo at one of the events in the Great State of Michigan

Barry and Valarie of sweetlife

logo.gif

n6008412403_6971.jpg

2007FallCITO.jpg

Just remember...

nevada_b.jpg

Lancerkath summed it up extremely well.

The only thing I can think to add about the NGA is...

We're so awesome...

even :o SIGNAL :o is a member!

Go NGA Im A Proud Member :o

Throwing our hat in the ring!

The Alabama Geocachers Association is on the web at

http://www.dixiecachers.com

AGAlogo-1.jpg

The AGA began as a casual gathering of geocachers who happened to know each other getting together for a picnic at a state park in October of 2003.

The idea was thrown out that we should form a geocaching club; Jeff35080 was an experienced webmaster and offered to host a site, and the Alabama Geocaching Association was born.

Our initial domain was alacache.com, which grew to 1100+ members before our webmaster had life intrude and had to drop out. WD4BSU picked up the reins and the AGA web home was moved to its current domain, DixieCachers.com.

DixieCachers now has 600 members around the state and beyond.

The Alabama Geocachers Association is free to all members and is dedicated to the promotion and advancement of the game, the protection of landowner relationships, and to providing a fun community of connected sharing and caring geocachers.

I am proud to report great success in all of these endeavors!

The AGA community both online and off has become a united community who regularly communicate and interact. We have many events, both formal geocaching.com listed events and informal affairs listed in our forums.

We are proud to be one of the few geocaching organizations to remain united - the AGA represents all geocachers equally and there has been no division into seperate, competitive or squabbling smaller groups.

Any member wishing to host an event may choose to do so under their personal account or under the name of the AGA... there is therefore no AGA account to which we can point for a history of the Associations activities, but there have been many.

Another unique thing about the AGA is that we exist only in the hearts and minds of our members. We have no formal structure, there are no officers, there is no 'clique' of insiders running the show! This serves as a refreshing reminder that yes, we CAN all get along!

The closest we come to structure is a cadre of volunteer moderators who patrol our forums with an eye toward keeping things clean, fun and family-friendly. These moderators have very little to do - in fact I can't remember the last time a moderator had to act! Since our inception in 2003 we have had to remove the online access privileges of only ONE geocacher.

For the community spirit, involvement, activities, land-owner relationships and plain fun it has provided I think the Alabama Geocachers Association is deserving of this recognition.

Thanks,

Ed

73 de W4AGA

Geocaching ham operators are invited to join us at W4AGA.com as well.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

[quote name='Lancerkath' date='Feb 27 2008, 12:28 AM' post='3341762']

logo.gif

n6008412403_6971.jpg

2007FallCITO.jpg

Just remember...

nevada_b.jpg

Besides all the great things mentioned here, there is the people and the friends you meet along the way. It does get a little crazy when Moosemob and his alter ego Roadrunner join the pack. The there are the northerns that are always up for hosting a caching adventure when the southerns come to town and vice versa. The Cachers Anonomas group they enable this crazy addiction and even rescue stranded TBs atop a lonely mountain in frigid temps.