What Would You Ask Garmin - III

BlueDeuce

Why they will not put a triaxial compass in there product line

During the Vegas Garmin/Groundspeak meet-n-greet, I was present when Lil Devil (of gpxspinner) asked the Colorado team leader (engineering side) that very question.

Their response is that for an outdoor product, there is currently no viable solution that would not require constant manual recalibrations - at least at any reasonable price point. They do test the 3D compass units and unfortunately are too suspectible to pressure and temperature changes - at least that's what I gathered. You can ask Lil Devil directly to see if they had a different take.

They seem to want to add a 3d compass and keep looking.

Edited by huggy_d1

Their response is that for an outdoor product, there is currently no viable solution that would not require constant manual recalibrations - at least at any reasonable price point. They do test the 3D compass units and unfortunately are too suspectible to pressure and temperature changes - at least that's what I gathered. You can ask Lil Devil directly to see if they had a different take.

Seems like an odd response, seeing as how Magellan has had 3-axis compasses for several years - apparently successful, although I don't have any direct experience with them. Just offhand, I can't think of why adding a third axis would dramatically increase calibration needs and temperature/pressure sensitivities over the 2-axis versions. I don't particularly want one that would work in any position - upside down for instance, or even vertically, although I know some would like that; I just want one that would make it less sensitive to being held perfectly level.

I have used the triaxis compass, and found it quick and easy to calibrate. The only time I do calibrate it in the eXplorist 600 is when I change out the battery or have bumped the unit against a Rare earth magnet.

I have used it on Zero-Declination up in Vacaville California and got the correct sitings well enough for stage 1 and 2 to get to stage 3. Although I have verified the coordinates with the owner, I have yet to get back there to finish it off. DOH!

Using it to show Moon and Sun orentations, it seems accurate enough for me. Maybe Garmin felt it needed to be more accurate then the Magellan before competing.

I also like to put the detailed map in Magnetic north mode. It is cool to watch the map track your orentation in real time standing still while swinging. I don't care for Units that move the map orentation only when in motion of travel. I found the older Garmin units to be cheezy in that respect. :o MR

Their response is that for an outdoor product, there is currently no viable solution that would not require constant manual recalibrations - at least at any reasonable price point. They do test the 3D compass units and unfortunately are too suspectible to pressure and temperature changes -

That is Garmin Bull, Magellan has been using a Triaxial compass for several years in the Meridian Platinum, Sport Track color (I have one of these) and in the Explorist 600. Recalibration is not an issue, when it has to be done (which is when you change the battery) it takes just a couple of minutes and it is very easy to do.

I do not think the price if the triaxial compass is an issue, the price points of the magellans that have had one over the years are not very high, just compare them to a Garmin unit with a non triaxial magnetic compass.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Sorry if this has already been asked. I'm a new Garmin 60cx owner. Switched over from Magellan after waiting for months for the Triton series and finally giving up.

Why can't Garmin make it an option to save the active track by name to the memory card? You can already save the track to the card. I would like to be able to clear the active track, walk or ride a trail, then save the active track with all it's trackpoints to the card with me assigning the name. Then clear the track and do it again. I was able to do this on my Explorist 500 and loved it.

I like the 60cx much better in all aspects except this one. I'm not a programmer but it seems if you can write to the card and the software can give it a name it wouldn't be that hard to give the user the option to say where to save and what to call it.

Anyway that is my question. I have figured out how make the current set up work for me but if I could get the above this would be a perfect unit in my opinion.

I would like to see an option of updating the clock to the current time zone as you cross over zones. IE: form pacific time zone driving east and crossing into mountain time zone, the unit would prompt " would you like to use the current time zone of mountain time?"

AND I second the request for a landscape display on the COLORADO

Edited by KD6QZX

Seems like an odd response, seeing as how Magellan has had 3-axis compasses for several years - apparently successful, although I don't have any direct experience with them. Just offhand, I can't think of why adding a third axis would dramatically increase calibration needs and temperature/pressure sensitivities over the 2-axis versions. I don't particularly want one that would work in any position - upside down for instance, or even vertically, although I know some would like that; I just want one that would make it less sensitive to being held perfectly level.

Perhaps Magellan has patented the technology they use to implement 3-axis compasses, and Garmin simply doesn't want to license a competitor's technology.

Perhaps Magellan has patented the technology they use to implement 3-axis compasses, and Garmin simply doesn't want to license a competitor's technology.

I doubt it's that expensive. I recently interviewed with a company (PNI in Santa Rosa, CA--www.pnicorp.com) that makes these types of sensors, and at one point they made consumer-level devices, including electronic compasses. I don't know if the consumer devices were triaxial, but I do know that they make three-axis devices, so it can be done and probably with low enough price and power.

GPS V. Great Job.

60's Good Job. But it's no GPS V.

Colorado. Nice Try but it's not even a 60.

When are you going to release a developer kit so we can add 3rd party kits to our GPS?

When are you going to put online maps on your GPS? (Arial, Topo)

When you you going to allow for (or make) your maps overlay well so you can see both Topo, CN, and Arial Photographs overlaid? (Alpha Blending in the Raster World).

When are you going to make the GPS VI?

Here's another one. How about making geocaches show up in the waypoint list (and the geocache list) so I can navigate to them with City Navigator like I do with my 76CSx. I miss this ability. Maybe a "Navigate to Waypoint" selection in the geocache related menus (that shows up if City Nav maps are present)? I realize that many do not use CN, but it is handy - and perhaps makes me a lazier cacher :laughing:

To be able to load more than one GPX file and be able to choose which is displayed.

The ability to use independant DEM to produce 3d displays (ie load a canadian DEM for a mapsource canadian map)

Increase the geocache limit, or make it unlimited

I'd also like it to do my housework for me :laughing: (sorry couldn't resist)

Here's another one. How about making geocaches show up in the waypoint list (and the geocache list) so I can navigate to them with City Navigator like I do with my 76CSx. I miss this ability. Maybe a "Navigate to Waypoint" selection in the geocache related menus (that shows up if City Nav maps are present)? I realize that many do not use CN, but it is handy - and perhaps makes me a lazier cacher :laughing:

Do you mean using the Colorado to auto-route to the geocaches using Navigator? That works for me. I just put it in Automotive profile, select the "Where-to" shortcut, geocaches, select the cache I want and it routes the roads I need to get near it.

Do you mean using the Colorado to auto-route to the geocaches using Navigator? That works for me. I just put it in Automotive profile, select the "Where-to" shortcut, geocaches, select the cache I want and it routes the roads I need to get near it.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Since I have a Nuvi for the car, it never dawned on me to look at the automotive profile. OTOH, why not make some of this functionality available while in geocaching profile so one doesn't need to switch. On my 76CSx I had the navigation method set to "prompted" so I could choose between following roads or off road when I was starting the navigation to a waypoint. When I got near to the cache I would recalculate using the off road selection. This would be the "best", as far as I am concerned.

Edited by geokitebuggy

Dear Garmin,

Please create a landscape display mode for the Colorado, it would be ideal with that spiffy swivel mount on the auto kit.

Love,

A new Customer

And a Cig power adaptor with a speaker like the 2720 so I can quit screwing around with this magellan crossover which is turning into more of a hassle then I thought it would be. I want voice prompts!

Get rid of "meters" and put in only feet and yards

Probably would NOT be a popular suggestion for markets outside the US! <_< (And there are probably quite a few users in the US who understand the benefits of the metric system, I would guess!)

But I would be really pleased if Garmin could learn to spell "metres" properly! It has always amused me that Americans insist on mis-spelling a unit that they don't even use! ;)

Edited by julianh

But I would be really pleased if Garmin could learn to spell "metres" properly! It has always amused me that Americans insist on mis-spelling a unit that they don't even use! :laughing:

Actually both spellings are correct.

Only in America , as far as I know - and you guys don't even use them! (My post was prompted by a suggestion to have them removed from Garmins altogether - tongue-in-cheek, I hope!)

I know I am fighting a losing battle, trying to convince America not to change the spelling of a word that isn't in common usage there, while being the standard spelling of the standard unit of length in the rest of the world. (And I do mean the rest of the world - I don't know of any other English-speaking country where "meter" is the "correct" spelling of the unit of length. To us, a "meter" is a device for measuring something, or the rhythmic pattern of a poem or piece of music, but NOT a unit of length.)

(And don't even get me started on aluminum aluminium - although I will grant that at least you DO use it!)

As a personal protest, I will just maintain my "campaign of civil disobedience" - I don't use iynches, feat or myles, but I reserve the right to spell them MY way, until you revert to the correct spelling of OUR unit of length! :o

Edited by julianh

As a personal protest, I will just maintain my "campaign of civil disobedience" - I don't use iynches, feat or myles, but I reserve the right to spell them MY way, until you revert to the correct spelling of OUR unit of length! :D

As soon as you start driving on the correct side of the road, we will start spelling meter correctly. :)

During the course of my newbie research into a GPS I’ve tentatively determined the following:

1) Garmin is the leader

2) DeLorme has the best maps

3) Magellan is good on paper, bad in practice

4) Every manufacturer wants continuing revenue from maps specific for their brand.

Initially I was under the false hope that GPS devices would seamlessly accept Google Earth images or Google Maps downloads. Silly me… (see item 4). I have no doubt this will come to pass via 3rd party (See Bushnell/PSP/PPC/DeLorme/Colorado/Triton etal capabilities), but why not now? Garmin is big enough to work with Google to allow the transfer of maps onto e.g. Colorado. They could follow the example of video games which made billions of $$$ one quarter at a time. I’d be more than happy to pay 2 bits for a route map from a Google search to my next destination, or to transfer that excellent aerial image from Google which I have zoomed into my desired perspective for my next hiking trip.

If Gamin is “lurking in the forum” the question would be why not trump the market with the ability to seamlessly transfer Google info to the Colorado?

(BTW I’m tentatively going to purchase the Colorado 400i when it comes out in a couple days…so that I am assured of getting the most recent hardware/software in the series, with the assumption I will at least be able to screen capture the Google Map/Image information into the Colorado image viewer… ;) : > )

I own a Vista Hcx so my suggestions apply to it, however, there are probably a number of other units for which they would also be valid.

- Make the Trip Computer page more useful by adding several features. For examplem allow the data acquisition to be started and stopped like a stop watch. Currently, once the display is reset, it starts accumulating data immediately, whether or not you want it to. The same problem applies when your measurement period ends. There's no way to stop the Trip Computer, even though the "trip" may have ended.

-Add the capability of saving Trip Computer data so that the data for several trip segments can be saved and recalled for later use. If I'm on a hike, I might want to compare the data from a morning segment with an afternoon segment, or one day's data with the next.

- Provide a simple way for routes drawn in Mapsource and up loaded to the GSPr to be used as they were drawn instead of being automatically recalculated by the GSPr.

-Provide a much more detailed User Manual. It seems unfortunate that many of the features "buried" in the Garmin GSP units may go unused by some users because they simply don't know about them or how to properly use them. (Although a detailed manual might reduce the traffic on this site ;) )

Note: If the above suggestions are already possible, please let me know how to implement them.

Don

I'd ask Garmin why, did they fit the eTrex with an H chip as the bottom range eTrex. Wouldn't it have been better to discontinue that and add an H chip to the green eTrex Venture and have that as the basic model.

That would eliminate any models without the pick stick.

How about the ability to save your settings to a file? Kind of like with a wireless router. With so many features and settings, it would be really nice to not have to go through all setups again in case you need to replace the unit or do a hard reset. Just a thought

That's already implemented in the Colorado. User profiles are stored in files in the unit. If you like, you can copy the file(s) to your PC, so you can put them back, in case you do a full reset and loose there contents on the GPS.

It's only the British who spell it "metre". The rest of us know that it's "meter". And "liter", not "litre". But as pointed out above, we don't drive on the wrong side either, but on the right side.

I have a better suggestion: Get rid of feet, yards and miles, so maybe all the Americans will learn how to use metric, finally. :rolleyes:

Make the Trip Computer page more useful by adding several features. For examplem allow the data acquisition to be started and stopped like a stop watch. Currently, once the display is reset, it starts accumulating data immediately, whether or not you want it to. The same problem applies when your measurement period ends. There's no way to stop the Trip Computer, even though the "trip" may have ended.
Units specifically intended to measure a certain activity, like the Forerunners, have this ability.

Provide a simple way for routes drawn in Mapsource and up loaded to the GSPr to be used as they were drawn instead of being automatically recalculated by the GSPr.
Units designed specifically for motorcycle use, like the Zumo, has this feature already. There the route itself is often considered to be more important than the destination, so that's the reason for supporting this.

That some of these features are available in other models doesn't help the buyer of a Colorado, of course. I'm just pointing out that if a specific feature is important to you, then you should at least consider other models, before you buy anything.

There are nüvis with built-in manuals as well, by the way.

Edited by apersson850

How about the ability to save your settings to a file? Kind of like with a wireless router. With so many features and settings, it would be really nice to not have to go through all setups again in case you need to replace the unit or do a hard reset. Just a thought

That's already implemented in the Colorado. User profiles are stored in files in the unit. If you like, you can copy the file(s) to your PC, so you can put them back, in case you do a full reset and loose there contents on the GPS.

It's only the British who spell it "metre". The rest of us know that it's "meter". And "liter", not "litre". But as pointed out above, we don't drive on the wrong side either, but on the right side.

I have a better suggestion: Get rid of feet, yards and miles, so maybe all the Americans will learn how to use metric, finally. <_<

Make the Trip Computer page more useful by adding several features. For examplem allow the data acquisition to be started and stopped like a stop watch. Currently, once the display is reset, it starts accumulating data immediately, whether or not you want it to. The same problem applies when your measurement period ends. There's no way to stop the Trip Computer, even though the "trip" may have ended.
Units specifically intended to measure a certain activity, like the Forerunners, have this ability.

Provide a simple way for routes drawn in Mapsource and up loaded to the GSPr to be used as they were drawn instead of being automatically recalculated by the GSPr.
Units designed specifically for motorcycle use, like the Zumo, has this feature already. There the route itself is often considered to be more important than the destination, so that's the reason for supporting this.

That some of these features are available in other models doesn't help the buyer of a Colorado, of course. I'm just pointing out that if a specific feature is important to you, then you should at least consider other models, before you buy anything.

There are nüvis with built-in manuals as well, by the way.

if you don't like it - don't buy it. :(

But where could the user get any information what's supported and what is not supported :rolleyes:

On garmin.de - there was an advertisement that the colorado would include ALL features of the CSX.

Currently they took this pic from their website.