Setting Track Recording Method and Interval on 60CSx

JoeDonLooney

I am trying to setup the tracklog recording on my 60Csx to match my Delorme PN-20. I had the 60Csx set on Auto with Normal, but have no clue how often it records a track point. The Delorme is set at Distance and the distance is set at every 10 feet.

I can set the 60CSx to Distance, but the Interval is a bit confusing. It show a number with a little mi after it. I am surmising that this represents miles, but could be totall off. The manual does not show how to configure the distance interval. Does anyone know if it is set to record at a certain fraction of a mile and how would I convert 10 feet to a fraction of a mile? In other words, what would I enter into the interval field?

As best I can determine 10 feet = 0.0018939 miles. This seems rather a dumb way to do it. Can I change the mi to ft in any way which would then be as easy as the PN-20?

Edited by JoeDonLooney

You can set it to record a track every 10 feet, but you won't like what you'll have to do.

First you go to Setup-Units-Distance/Speed and then choose Yards. Now go to the Track Log Setup page, choose Distance for the Record Method, and then set 3.33 yards as the Interval.

Your track points will be recorded every 10 feet and you will go insane with all your distances displayed in yards. I would only recommend doing this if you actually need a track log with points every 10 feet.

I keep my 60CSx set for Auto and Most Often. When ditty-bopping in the woods or paddling the canoe or whatever, I've found that the track points are recorded at varying intervals, but with a good amount of detail.

- fieldkat

You can set it to record a track every 10 feet, but you won't like what you'll have to do.

First you go to Setup-Units-Distance/Speed and then choose Yards. Now go to the Track Log Setup page, choose Distance for the Record Method, and then set 3.33 yards as the Interval.

Your track points will be recorded every 10 feet and you will go insane with all your distances displayed in yards. I would only recommend doing this if you actually need a track log with points every 10 feet.

I keep my 60CSx set for Auto and Most Often. When ditty-bopping in the woods or paddling the canoe or whatever, I've found that the track points are recorded at varying intervals, but with a good amount of detail.

- fieldkat

Thanks, I was only trying to set it up as I have the PN-20. I took both units on an 8 mile walk the other day and part way through the trip, the PN-20 went way off track for awhile. I just wanted to have them both log at the same interval, but will try Auto Most Often as I would hate to have to figure everything in yards as you mention.

That's the beauty of the "auto" setting......it's not a fixed distance. If you're going in a straight line, it logs fewer than going around a curve. Sharper curve, more points are logged than traveling around a gradual curve.

About half smart ! and conserves trackpoints...

Hey ! where did you go to HS? ......TX?

Is that the algorithm for the "auto" setting? I've always used my Vista HCx with auto+most often setting, but I wonder what does that mean exactly.

By the way, what settings would you consider to be ideal for logging a mountain bike ride or a jogging session in terms of distance and time? I purchased a small GPS logger (an iBlue 747A+) and I have to set it up with time interval and/or distance. I have set it up to record a point every 5 seconds and every 5 meters, but I still don't know for sure if that's too high or too low (or eventually the best choice :D ).

Foe short distances, like the curved drive around my place, I get a smoother track when using 1 second, or 0.01 yards. Sometimes to get the 0.01 yards, I have to hit Quit to back out, and then Entr to go back in to set to the .01. I don't think, from looking at the % used,that it is any difference than the 1 sec. The auto makes more short streight lines, with a slight elbo bend, when walking the drive. Might be just this unit.