What was the first geocache too small for swag?

mvigor

Does anyone know when the first geocache too small to hold anything other than a logbook was placed? Which one was it?

Please don't make this thread about your personal geocache size preference...I'm just curious when it first happened.

Edited by mvigor

Does anyone know when the first geocache too small to hold anything other than a logbook was placed? Which one was it?

Please don't make this thread about your personal geocache size preference...I'm just curious when it first happened.

What are you saying, size doesn't matter? :o I don't think you'll get a definitive answer, but I'll bet an older placement by Cache_Ninja in New York City would be up near the top.

[EDIT] Link to Forum Post by Cache_Ninja talking about NYC caching history.

Oldest Cache_Ninja cache identified as a micro (was never found).

Oldest Cache_Ninja micro that was found by others

And since I'm editing this after the first 4 responses, I think we should clarify "too small for trade items". So are we talking the first micro cache here? You can put "trade items" in altoid tins or film canisters as mentioned. Or we talking like the worlds first Bison Tube cache or something? :o

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The first micro I heard of was a Altoids tin hidden in a lamp post base (the access panel) in NYC. It did however have trade items. This was about late 2001. There likely were some earlier ones.

As far as the first nano (the only ones that are too small for swag), I have no idea. It's probably an idea that

sprouted nearly simultaneously in several areas.

The first micro I heard of was a Altoids tin hidden in a lamp post base (the access panel) in NYC.

Ok, so now, who was the first person to complain about 'em? :o

Actually, I believe I did stumble on the first lame micro complaint thread once, it was from mid-2003. But it was just an extension of the even older, lame locationless/lame virtuals threads. :o

As far as the now rephrased original post; that's probably even tougher than determining the first micro! I dunno, a guy in my area (who has since moved way far away) hid 3 or 4 small bison tube caches in late 2002/early 2003. I doubt he's the first one who decided to try using them as cache containers though. Black Mr. Magneto nano caches were invented specifically for geocaching by a geocacher.

I found my first micro (GC23F) on February 10th, 2001, and was the second person to find it.

It was placed on February 8th, 2001. It's a true micro - a 35mm film can, it the term "microcache" is used in the description.

Anyone got a real micro earlier than that?

And another question - what's the oldest micro still existing? I put one out on March 11, 2001, and it's still going.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I found my first micro (GC23F) on February 10th, 2001, and was the second person to find it.

It was placed on February 8th, 2001. It's a true micro - a 35mm film can, it the term "microcache" is used in the description.

And another question - what's the oldest micro still existing? I put one out on March 11, 2001, and it's still going.

Sweet, time to update the bookmarks and here I thought Texans liked things a little bigger. Stupid stereotypes

The one Cache_Ninja cache I linked to in post two is about 2 weeks newer in February 2001, and it too is identified as a "micro cache" In the cache description.

It will be tough to beat both that you referenced, the one you found, and the one you own. :blink:

:D Looking at my oldest micros found, they were all actually decon kits or small caches. As I remember, back in the beginning there were only micros and regular size caches. Anything less than an ammo can was a micro.

All the decon kits here were considered regular. Though altoids tins were definitely micros.

A bit off topic, but lately I'm seeing Altoid tins called "small" and not "micro". There is, as the post above shows, room for trade goods, even TBs like the diabetes bugs.

When was the cache size designation added? Micro wasn't an original option, surely?

I would consider the standard Altoids tin to be on the small end of the "Small" spectrum, rather than a micro. There is definitely room for both a log book and a few small trade items.