Pre-Sales vs Reservations

AtwellFamily

On my last two coins I did reservations but I have had a number of people drop when the invoice was sent so I will now go to the practice of pre-sales. I didn't want to do this and have tried to function without but to many people these days are committing to buying coins and then backing out.

I will continue to buy extras to stock some but can't rely on people's word that they will buy when I am seeing a large number of people back out.

Sorry to all those that haven't backed out of commitments like this.

Mike

On my last two coins I did reservations but I have had a number of people drop when the invoice was sent so I will now go to the practice of pre-sales. I didn't want to do this and have tried to function without but to many people these days are committing to buying coins and then backing out.

I will continue to buy extras to stock some but can't rely on people's word that they will buy when I am seeing a large number of people back out.

Sorry to all those that haven't backed out of commitments like this.

Mike

Mike: which coins have become available?

Hi Mike,

I get reservation happy too and then the PayPal request comes later and I'm broke. But I am an addict - I simply have to send the PayPal funds even though I probably should not. But faced with the choice - food or geocoins? I go with geocoins.

I like the way some sellers do presales ...

1. They announce a geocoin on the forums and their website and through e-mail newsletters.

2. They announce the deadline for the pre-sales up front to everyone.

3. An announcement is given that once the pre-sales are complete and the coins have been minted, the coin design will never be produced again and no further mintings will be done. The design goes into permanent retirement. (this is important I think)

3. They also indicate that once all the geocoins have been pre-ordered and the date of the deadline has come and passed, the coin will then go to the minting process and shipped when complete.

4. They give everyone plenty of time to make their pre-sale payment.

5. Once the given date arrives, the pre-sales end and they stop taking orders.

6. Keep in mind that at the time of reservation or pre-sales they pay up front for their coins (this is important).

7. When the coins are complete an announcement is given when they ship.

This way seems the best to me. It gives everyone plenty of time and it kinda eliminates the aspect of super detailed limited editions too. If someone wants a super detailed limited edition they simply pay up front for the extras. And nobody feels left out. And it also limits the overproduction and stays completely within the demand.

I know there are other ways that work just as well but but I like this one the best so far.

Edited by Boogus

I think coin makers should keep a BLACK LIST of those DEAD BEATS who reserve coins and fail to buy their reserved coins. These coin makers can then share and exchange said list of DEAD BEATS among themselves and decide whether to honour future reservations by said DEAD BEATS.

I think I actually prefer pre-sales - its easier to budget for the purchase if it is paid immediately instead of sometime in the future. And, I am really disappointed with some recent coin sales, through other sites, that did re-mints. So, going to pre-sale only will be great with me.

I have to agree with this. Reservations are hard for me to figure if I'm going to have the money when I get the bill. I would much rather pay and wait for the coins.

I don't often have money for coins, but when I do, this method is much better for me.

Since money is tight, if I have it, I want to be able to pay for it right then and there, since between the time I reserve it (yeah, like I've actually been able to :) ) or would reserve it, lol, and the time that money is required I would likely have had to use that money for other things... like gas...milk for the kids... food...

Dam.n our need for things like that, lol, dam.n!

Naomi :laughing:

Well shooooot! Does this mean the Geoscooters are going to be delayed? After paying the invoice I was kinda hoping they'd be on their way as I promised one as a cache prize.

They will not be delayed. I am taking this one on the chin with the hope I can sell them to the public.

Edited by Atwell Family

I think coin makers should keep a BLACK LIST of those DEAD BEATS who reserve coins and fail to buy their reserved coins. These coin makers can then share and exchange said list of DEAD BEATS among themselves and decide whether to honour future reservations by said DEAD BEATS.

I would suspect very few, if any, of the coin buyers make a reservation without the intent of buying the coins. Expenses come up. Life happens. I am not condoning this reserving and backing out as a habit, and I understand if makes it difficult on the people selling the coin, but most people can not predict the future.

I also like the pre-sales. It lets me know if I have the money for the coin right now or I don't.

I don't think the people in question are deadbeats. I reserved a coin once based on art, and when they had the sample in, and I got my invoice, I just didn't like the way it turned out. I cancelled the reservation. I reserved a coin once and two months later I got an invoice. I didn't know when I reserved the coin that the week previous to the invoice arriving that I would have just paid $200 to get a new tire for my car.

Things happen! And this is why I prefer either a pre-sale or buying an item in stock. In my current finacial situation, I have totally stopped reserving coins.

I would suspect very few, if any, of the coin buyers make a reservation without the intent of buying the coins. Expenses come up. Life happens. I am not condoning this reserving and backing out as a habit, and I understand if makes it difficult on the people selling the coin, but most people can not predict the future.

I also like the pre-sales. It lets me know if I have the money for the coin right now or I don't.

I have to agree. I'm sorry "life comes up" :o . I'm sure you'll be able to sell the geocoins.

Not to mention as a seller you absorb risk when you send a coin to mint with your own money. I took reservations for the Northwest Ohio one, but I had already ordered them out of my own pocket for more than $2K. So, now I have 60 bookends still hanging out at my house, and I still haven't broke even. It happens.

I think in your current situation, changing your policy is a very good business move. :o All you have to do is avoid people dinging you for violating paypal policy :o(Not you personally, but there is a set period of time before you have to deliver goods after a pre-sale).

TMA

I for one love presales. For all the reasons already given. Presale begins, I know right then if I can afford one coin, two coins or no coins. Often with presales you are given a window of time to purchase the coin, I may not have the money today to get the coin but by the time the sale ends i'll have the money. I don't mind waiting for a coin i've paid for as long as I know its coming. Usually with presales we have an idea of shipping time or at least an estimate. THE BIGGEST REASON....there are often coins that are so popular because of their look, their shine, the designer, whatever the reason that are swooped up in a matter of 3 seconds once sales are open. For those of us that work, are traveling, live in another part of the world or can't sit in front of the computer waiting for the "sale time" to begin, presales gives us ALL a chance to grab a really nice coin. Granted, I've been in on a couple of the "Mad Dash Coin Sales" and got lucky once and not so lucky another time. So for me, presales is the way to go, to guarantee i'll get a nice coin. :o Just my two cents :o

I like presales myself. I hate getting an invoice 2 months after a reservation was made, by that time, I've forgotten all about it!

Life does happen. I've had a few instances where I made a reservation, but couldn't pay when the time came..once an invoice came when we were gone on vacation and then was cancelled by the time we got back, and awhile back I unexpectedly lost my job, so geocoins took a back seat for a while. I'm gainfully employed again now, so I've been buying coins like crazy to make up for lost time lol.

So now I just won't do reservations, unless I know it'll be a short time between the reservation and invoicing.

Not to mention as a seller you absorb risk when you send a coin to mint with your own money. I took reservations for the Northwest Ohio one, but I had already ordered them out of my own pocket for more than $2K. So, now I have 60 bookends still hanging out at my house, and I still haven't broke even. It happens.

I think in your current situation, changing your policy is a very good business move. :o All you have to do is avoid people dinging you for violating paypal policy :o(Not you personally, but there is a set period of time before you have to deliver goods after a pre-sale).

TMA

Dude, I have been hunting for that exact coin forever. Can I buy one? Invoice me.

TMA

Dude, I have been hunting for that exact coin forever. Can I buy one? Invoice me.

If you want an invoice, email me with your paypal addy :P

I have to agree. I'm sorry "life comes up" :o . I'm sure you'll be able to sell the geocoins.

Gosh I feel like a troll with my post against deadbeats. But it was tongue in cheek.... kinda.

How would people feel if they made a reservation and found the coins they reserved were never made available to them for purchase? "Oops, must have lost the note where I wrote you down!" I don't think you'd be trusting that coin maker again, huh? The same should apply to buyers. It's easy to say "life happens" and walk away expecting someone else to eat .... sNit.

Same reason I'm not reserving any AU 08 this year for international - any left overs may be made available.

But as far as a blacklist goes - not sure i wouldn't be on the deadbeats list myself! I had to have a bit of a sale earlier on myself to meet some forward commitments after family matters. So Mike's idea is the best really - paypal refunds are free and easy peasy if production problems arise....... as long you trust the minter!

I think in your current situation, changing your policy is a very good business move. :P All you have to do is avoid people dinging you for violating paypal policy :o(Not you personally, but there is a set period of time before you have to deliver goods after a pre-sale).

TMA

If you want an invoice, email me with your paypal addy :o

email sent

I don't like presales. Take a look at the Wonderful Discoveries coin thread for the exact reason why. Start multiplying orders like that across 4-5 vendors and that money adds up. If you've got a ship date or the coins in hand, I've got your money.

I can see where something like that would be an issue. When I do my pre-sales, I almost always wait until the coin is in production. So I"ve already paid the sample fees, and 30% of the total. My main reason for doing the pre-sale is to pay Groundspeak.

Gosh I feel like a troll with my post against deadbeats. But it was tongue in cheek.... kinda.

How would people feel if they made a reservation and found the coins they reserved were never made available to them for purchase? "Oops, must have lost the note where I wrote you down!" I don't think you'd be trusting that coin maker again, huh? The same should apply to buyers. It's easy to say "life happens" and walk away expecting someone else to eat .... sNit.

I've actually had that scenario happen. Some places a reservation doesn't guarantee you a coin.

I will not put my money on pre-sales anymore and I have at least once put in a reservation only to cancel it later. Why? Because it took the person forever to get the coin out, there was delay after delay after delay and excuses galore. I have to applaud Cinemaboxers and Tsunrisebey for doing an excellent job of having the coins and sending them out asap. I ordered the horses from CB and got them in four days, you can't get better service. They have done enough sales to know what will or won't sell. If you are getting stuck with geocoins perhaps it is time to rethink your designs or whether people are willing to buy your coins.

I've noticed a trend with presales lately... the infamous icon. I'm not an 'icon ho' so it doesn't matter to me on one level but if I was going to order a coin via presale, I want to know if I'm getting an icon or not. I don't want to have to guess or hope that 250 coins will be sold. I'm either paying for the icon or I'm not.

The only benefit to a presale like many people mentioned was you pay for the coin and you can essentially forget about it (at least until expected delivery) but there are more things that can go wrong with a presale for the customer versus a reservation.

1. Paypal issues, you better hope the vendor can cover their coin design should their paypal account get a complaint or something else against it. Presales are not allowed according to paypal policies and as a vendor you have a responsibilty to your customers to ensure that they receive what they pay for no matter what. So if your account gets locked for some reason, you better be able to cover your coin costs/shipping.

2. Something/life/tragedy happens to the vendor, you are probably in for a very long wait or out $$$ altogether.

3. Alot of times people are buying on mint artowrk but what happens of the coin isn't what you hoped it would be? Then you are stuck with something you don't really want as a customer or if you are the vendor and give refunds, you're stuck with extras.

4. Doing presales after a first run goes a little bit smoother because the minting time is less since the everything is already done and all they need to do is make more but on an initial run, I think too many vendors take too long (that is my opinion of course).

5. I think I'll take a bit of flak for this comment BUT why do you (in general terms) need to do presales in the first place? To fund a coin? If you need to have the customers fund your initial run, than maybe it's not a good idea to be minting another coin. If your design is a good one, it will sell on its own merits. You can always do a remint it it's popular.

Reservations in my opinion protect a customers interest better but the wait is a pain in the hiney and yes it does suck to get an invoice 1 to 2 months later. I've had to cancel 1 reservation many moons ago and I felt bad but hey, real life got in the way :o On the other hand if I reserve a coin, I need to take responsibility for my own actions and if i said I'd buy one then 99.99% of the time I pay for it.

Personally I no longer do either option because I don't like either of them. Mint the coin, sell them. Trade the extras if you end up with some, sell them on ebay, or use the traders to sell on ebay to recoop your costs.

On one other note and then I'll stop, lol. I feel your pain on a few customers not paying. I've been lucky for the most part but it's been a real pain to send reminders to a few people when I send invoices. I think if a customer decided they don't want a coin or they can't afford it, then just be honest and tell the vendor. I've worked out other options with a few people who really wanted the coin but couldn't pay at that moment.

Ok, steps down from soapbox and feels some much better for purging....lmao.

excuse my spelling and grammar errors, I'm too lazy to edit this whole thing :o

Edited by tsunrisebey

>I think I'll take a bit of flak for this comment BUT why do you (in general terms) need to do presales in the first place?

no flak just a discussion i hope :blink: or was that a rhetorical Q? There is enormous pressure to do a presale from people who don't want to miss out - there's some threads with amazing venom becasue the coin sold out in a few hours ( you know the ones ) and obviously even very experienced mints have some difficulty gauging responses - then if you do a remint just on the basis of a few yells in the forums without some cash up front who's to tell you won't get stuck - there's lots of left over coins from 2006 out there still!

BTW anyone want a lord of the caches ... they are back on sale.

I know I'll take heat for this one but what the heck I have a Nomex Suit.

Pre-Sales stink! I've been waiting 3 months on one "pre-sale" right now and also one particular coin I paid for 8 months ago is still NOT HERE! Even through numerous emails I now get no response, no refund, etc.

I won't do pre-sales.....never have, never will. A reservation is just fine and they are generally short term. If a few people back out or have issues, no big deal. I have traditionally found this to be less than 5% anyway.

Bottom Line: If you can't afford to make the coins up front without pre-sale funds you probably shouldn't be making them.

I think it's pretty simple, really. Stick with reliable vendors that:

A. Show you pictures of completed samples prior to a pre-sale.

B. Communicate well to their clientele. (More than just posting in the forums)

C. Have an established track record.

If a vendor gives you doubt, or cause for suspicion, then you might want to put your PayPal away and save yourself the aggravation.

Edited by YemonYime

Personally, I prefer pre-sales. I have had trouble with Pay Pal in the past with an account. I've closed it and now strictly pay with a credit card through them. I've found that many of the people who offer reservations don't have an option with Pay Pal to use my credit card right then. I won't be opening another account with them, and I really dislike sending a check via snail mail. With pre-sales, I can see right then if I'll be able to purchase with a credit card. If not, I let it go by.

Edited by VirginiaGator

I love the comments and welcome the feedback. Just want to chime in here.

I have not liked pre-sales in the past. Taking money and not shipping product is not something I look forward to do. Maybe this is an isolated case. I had a number of people on the scooters commit to personal molds and colors and therefore got a discount on the quantity buy. I had 550 coins reserved by that means. I had a few of those people back out as well as others and now have sold less than 500 total. Had a total of 300 coins that were reserved have an issue and changed their mind. I would guess that even those vendors who say they will never do pre-sales would have a difficult time moving an additional 300 coins.

I have always liked reservations. Giving anyone who wanted the coin an opportunity are buying it from me at a resonable price (not ebay). Have have always continued to order extras for stock and just in case and have never really had an issue.

I have the money to do reservations and could continue to do this if I felt comfortable with the numbers. I would not want someone to reserve something and not get it.

Thanks again for the feedback and info.

Mike

This is a lot different than someone wanting to buy a coin then changing their minds. If you did a personal mold for some one they should expect to pay for it before it is made. This sounds more like a group project. I believe almost all of them pay first. Good luck selling the left overs. Do these have the person's name on them?

Ideally, I like to buy coins that are ready to ship. Open the thread, see the coin, hit paypal.

I'm impatient like that. I have no problem with a pre-sale if the coin already sold out in a frenzy, that's understandable. In terms of remints, I'd really rather get my hands on the shiny scrap of metal, and with re-mints the process tends to go a lot faster than the first mint.

Pre-sales and Reservations I'll do if I want the coin enough, but there's no guarantee of what it will look like (and I'm not talking about your coin when I say this) more than a few times, I've loved the artwork and hated the coin. Not to mention that things come up. Been waiting on a pre-sale for a few months now with little to no updates, probably the one others have mentioned. Life happens, but it's still irritating as the customer.

Sorry you need to change your policy, I hope things work out well. I understand the situation... but still may think a little more before hitting the paypal button, just because. Well, in general I've been thinking a little more lately anyhow.

>If a few people back out or have issues, no big deal. I have traditionally found this to be less than 5% anyway.

yes but that 5% make up 99% of the aggravation. I'd hate to just drop someone off a list because he was a little slow replying to an email, or it went in the spam folder - who knows so it'sa lot of follow up I can do without.

>Bottom Line: If you can't afford to make the coins up front without pre-sale funds you probably shouldn't be making them.

Absolutely. But then in getting the best price one would do bettter with an accurate assessment of numbers. So a few 5% dropouts hae really cost everyone something here. I think that is the real bottom line - people should really really think hard before dropping out and do everything they can to meet commitments even if it means selling off some of those other coins you got!

I don't really care for reservations or pre-sales. You (as a pre-saler) are just producing a coin on someone else's buck. I have had vendors tie up my money for months on end before I got the coin much later than anticipated. There was a time when I would have $600-$800 tied up waiting for coins. I still reserve or pre-buy coins I like, but much prefer to pay for the coin when it's actually available.

Why not just sell the coin after it comes in, or sell the idea to a vendor who can produce the coin? You can still make samples and judge the demand.

(you meaning the universal you, not atwell family)

I sadly regret that I am one of those deadbeats (not for the scooters, but another coin).

On Wed the 13th, I had an uncle pass away in MI, and I spent an unexpected $375 for a plane ticket from AL to MI in order to go see my family and attend the funeral.

This is the first time that I have ever made a reservation and not been able to pay for the coins, and for that I am sorry.

In light of the recent frenzy sell out's of some very nice coins I thought I would voice my opinion regarding pre-sales, reservations and first come first serve sales.

For me, pre-sales is the most effective way to obtain coins I really want. I have no problem waiting for a coin I previously paid for.

I don't have the time or the ability to sit at the computer when first come first serve sale’s happen. I also don't think these type of sales are fair to all the people who work for a living or live in other areas of the world.

Pre-sales might mean that more coins are produced but does that matter? Not to me. I am more interested in obtaining coins that appeal to me than limited coin numbers that are bought up by collectors to be sold on eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

Edited by Roaring_Fork

In light of the recent frenzy sell out's of some very nice coins I thought I would voice my opinion regarding pre-sales, reservations and first come first serve sales.

For me, pre-sales is the most effective way to obtain coins I really want. I have no problem waiting for a coin I previously paid for.

I don't have the time or the ability to sit at the computer when first come first serve sale’s happen. I also don't think these type of sales are fair to all the people who work for a living or live in other areas of the world.

Pre-sales might mean that more coins are produced but does that matter? Not to me. I am more interested in obtaining coins that appeal to me than limited coin numbers that are bought up by collectors to be sold on eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

Not picking on you here but your post made me want to pipe up too, as a person who sits on both sides of the fence.

As a person on the receiving end of numerous emails after a recent coin sale, I received responses all over the map. Loved the way you did the sale, hate the way you did the sale, do this, do that. Thing is, there is not PERFECT way to do a sale that makes everyone happy.

Some people want LE's and others want unlimited coinsso they can have an edition of a popular coin. Some people hate ebay and others love it. Some people hate presales (like me-get your acct. locked up and see how you like it, yup I'm still whining about that, lol) and some people hate reservations. World time zones, there isn't a good time for everyone.

Thing is how is a vendor suppose to cater to everyone's needs and make everyone happy? Impossible. If vendor ABC does sales the way you like and the way you think it should be done, than that vendor has upset another group of coiners. If vendor ABC does it the way you don't agree with, that affects the way you might buy in the future.

Without getting into a whole big whining session. I would love for every person that is into geocoins to design and sell their coins (but it has to be a sell out coin) and deal with everything that comes with all of it. Then I think alot of people here would not be so quick to judge about how sales are run. It is not as easy as some people seem to think it is.

A vendor can only do so much and try to find the balance. None of us is entitled to getting every coin we want (I don't have a ton of coins that I would love to have). We have trading and yes, even ebay. Part of the fun of this and I know it sounds goofy but it's true, is trying to get that elusive coin we missed out on. I know when I've landed a coin I've been trying to get, the rush was over and I moved onto the next one.

Oh and I know of a number of vendors who have lives/jobs etc. outside of geocoins, lol. Which makes sales even harder to do it in free time.

Like I said RF, this isn't directed at you but I just took your post as a launching pad to address this in general. Some vendors do try hard but there is just no way to please everyone and it's as simple as that. In the end, these shiny metal obejcts just aren't worth getting upset over.

Ok, think I'm done for now :laughing:

Edited by tsunrisebey

Greg

As an international, ahead of the rest of the world..... I find it hard to get the time zones right.

Someone will say MDT, or Pacific time, or some other zone, but the world clock conversion wants cities, so I HAVE to know the geography of countries I've never visited..... look at a map, easier said than done.

Pre-sales tend to be more equitable, more just when dealing with a world market.

Whatever way you do it, there will always be someone who misses out. Always someone who groans and moans, - that is called human nature.

Pre-sales mean less risk to the seller. If that is what they want, then so be it. After all, they are forking out the cash to start off with.

Please just consider a reasonable time frame. And if there is a delay, let us know.

I like the idea of pre-sales. Not that I buy many coins at all but....Now that summer is here being here in the forums as often will not be the case. I'd like to be able to pre-pay and that way I do not have to hang out and try to beat the rush. Thats the only reason I have. Otherwise it should be up to whoever is selling the coin. What ever they are comfortable with than go with it! :laughing:

another vote for presales here. Often with reservations all the requests for payment come at the same time. Agreed this would tend to work better for those with a good reputation as I have at least one reservation at the moment which seems to have gone into a black hole. Also from our own experience developing a coin can take way longer than anticipated.

Sue

So far, I've not lost any money on a pre-sale purchase. <knocks on wood>

Oddly enough, the only bad coin experience has been a coin I paid for that was lost by the USPS. I expect it will show up someday; the seller put tracking on it and it disappeared between "this place" and "that place".

I personally like pre-sales, but I only deal with the larger coin producers.

Please feel free to put me on your BLACKLIST of DEADBEATS. When you are out of a job and have many expenses incl. medical, you make choices. I try to send a note to the folks that I have made reservations with explaining the situation. Hopefully I can get off of the BLACKLIST now that I have a job again and things are going better.

Your friend

Kenny the horsegeek