New to Caching

yogiandbooboo2008

Garmin wise, the extra memory comes in handy if you are dealing with lots of waypoints. Customized POIs are stored on the removable data cards in Garmin GPS'. However, my 15000 cache POIs only take up only 2mb of memory; so, you are fine with 24mb if you are sure you will not be using street maps or Topo maps.

For most caching - the internal memory is not important at all. Even the small, simple units can hold up to 500 caches at a time.

Do you think it's a pain to get one that has a Serial cord verus a USB cord?

No pain at all if your computer has a built in serial port. However, the USB to serial adapters are a pain to configure and use.

Edited by StarBrand

For most caching - the internal memory is not important at all. Even the small, simple units can hold up to 500 caches at a time.

If your computer has a Serial Port, a GPS unit that connects with the Serial Port wll work just fine . . . however, when you get that shiny new laptop a year from now, you'll have to get a Serial to USB adapter, and those cost more money and can be difficult to configure.

I have updated my GPS unit three times in just over three years of caching. Each time, I have lost money on the upgrade. It is better to get the best GPS unit you can afford in the beginning. If I were starting out, I would look at the Garmin Legend HCx or the Vista HCx. Those are GPS units you can grow with, adding maps in the future if you cannot afford them now.

And . . . they connect with USB. :)

No pain at all if your computer has a built in serial port. However, the USB to serial adapters are a pain to configure and use.

Thank you so much. I do have dumb question however. Is a Serial port the same type of port that you would plug say a printer into?

Thank you so much. I do have dumb question however. Is a Serial port the same type of port that you would plug say a printer into?

Generally, no. Most modern printers connect via USB. Older printers conntected to waht was called a "parallel port" These were huge connectors on the back, very wide. The serial port older devices hook into look more like the vga connector that monitors hook into.

Serial port: serial_port.jpg

parallel port: cbscon_PC_ParallelPort.jpg

USB: sup_hdd_usbport.gif