Garmin Colorado erratic battery indicator

twolpert

I have seen this problem mentioned once or twice in the long Colorado threads, and in the issues list. Wondering how many other people have this problem, whether or not Gramin has responded, and whether or not I should return the unit. I have an open e-mail support "call" but no response yet.

Brand new Colorado 400t. 2.40 softweare installed. New Engergizer e2 Titanium alkaline batteries. Unit set to alkaline. Contacts are clean and the batteries are firmly seated. After a couple of hours of use (heavy backlighting, compass on, WAAS off), the battery meter becomes erratic. Randomly switches among 1, 2 and 3 bars, with the occasional low battery warning. Sometimes changes several times within a minute or less.

Wouldn't care except that the overly agressive "power management" (and I use the term loosely) dims or shuts off the backlighting. While I appreciate the fact that the unit still knows where I am, it really doesn't do much good if I can't see the screen.

Tom

I have seen this problem mentioned once or twice in the long Colorado threads, and in the issues list. Wondering how many other people have this problem, whether or not Gramin has responded, and whether or not I should return the unit. I have an open e-mail support "call" but no response yet.

Brand new Colorado 400t. 2.40 softweare installed. New Engergizer e2 Titanium alkaline batteries. Unit set to alkaline. Contacts are clean and the batteries are firmly seated. After a couple of hours of use (heavy backlighting, compass on, WAAS off), the battery meter becomes erratic. Randomly switches among 1, 2 and 3 bars, with the occasional low battery warning. Sometimes changes several times within a minute or less.

Wouldn't care except that the overly agressive "power management" (and I use the term loosely) dims or shuts off the backlighting. While I appreciate the fact that the unit still knows where I am, it really doesn't do much good if I can't see the screen.

Tom

My 300 did this all the time on NiMH batteries until the 2.40 update. Now the battery gauge seems to be quite accurate--at least with rechargeables.

I'm seeing a variation on the same thing.

After a couple of hours of use, the screen fades to grey and the unit appears to switch itself off. I change the batteries out to our 60CSx and it reports 3 out of 4 bars for the batteries so I know they still have lots of power left in them.

I've tried a reset of the Colorado (need to put fresh batteries in to get it to do this as it won't start up on the old batteries) and it still does it. The only thing I can do to get it back is to put some new batteries in it.

We were out caching for 7-8 hours yesterday and it went through 4 changes of batteries, with all the ones I swapped out showing as having lots of charge left it them on the 60CSx.

We're using 2.40 firmware with alkaline batteries, also set in the settings.

I'm wondering if it's a firmware bug that occasionally happens or do we have a faulty unit?

I have the 300 with 2.4 and was out caching all day on snowshoes yesterday, air temps around 20°F. I got the Low Battery warning a couple of times when I knew they were fresh off the charger. I just ignored it but wondered why. I had the normal bars dropping progressively as they drained over the 5 hrs. My Sony Eneloop 2000 mah batts lasted 5 hrs per pair. I put them in my 60Cx after my 300 shut down as a test and they also indicated no juice left. I had the battery setting to NiMH. I have WAAS on, compass off, backlighting timeout set to 30 sec.

My Sony Eneloop 2000 mah batts lasted 5 hrs per pair. I put them in my 60Cx after my 300 shut down as a test and they also indicated no juice left. I had the battery setting to NiMH.

This about what I'd expect in 20 degree weather. Good to see that the Colorado is finally getting all the juice out of the NiMH setting.

--Marky

Well, I thought the 2.40 update had fixed the issue, but yesterday, while on a 6 hour hike, I found out differently. I started with fresh NiMH batteries, compass off, backlight off, battery manaement on. At about 2 hours I glanced at the battery indicator and found it reading 1 RED bar! I kept caching and looked again at 3 hours and it was back to 3 green bars? A half hour later it was back to RED and stayed there. It did not, however go out for the duration of my hike. It finally died after I'd gotten back home, at around 7-8 hours.

I had previously gotten 12 hours when just letting it sit. I surmise that while actively caching, changing views, changing pages, logging caches, etc, that it uses more juice, but that doesn't explain the erratic and erronious battery meter.

The Colorado (300) performed magfinicently on the hike except for that. It accurately lead me to 21 caches during the 6 hour/12 mile hike. I really liked being able to mark the caches as "found" and then uploading the text to Groundspeak for logging online.

Incidently, I don't have a problem with 7 hours, since I always carry spare batteries, but I'd like a somewhat accurate gauge of what is remaining.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
Incidently, I don't have a problem with 7 hours, since I always carry spare batteries, but I'd like a somewhat accurate gauge of what is remaining.

I'm assuming that you have the battery type set to NiMH? Before version 2.4, I had mine set to Alkaline when using NiMH because I got more use out of them. But now I've switched to NiMH setting. I only ask because you didn't state which setting you are using.

I'm assuming that you have the battery type set to NiMH? Before version 2.4, I had mine set to Alkaline when using NiMH because I got more use out of them. But now I've switched to NiMH setting. I only ask because you didn't state which setting you are using.

Yes, Marky. NiMH was selected. I thought I might get lower life while actually caching, I supposed what surprised/disturbed me most was that the battery indicator was not accurately predicting life.Still, given my experience, I no longer feel compelled to take the 60CSx as a backup on these outings. I just wished the meter would work!

On March 3, I finally got a non-responsive answer (to my question from 02/23) from Garmin tech support. Might be my fault for trying to communicate with "English as a second language" tech support by way of e-mail. They completely failed to answer the question regarding alkaline non-rechargeables. They did, however, state the "official line" on NiMH rechargeables with 2.40 firmware.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We have not seen this issue persist if the batteries are those listed

below with 2500 mah. And the up date to the firmware operating system

is current. It is a good idea to view that in the device, under Main

Menu tools, system and options , software version.

I could only ask that you try different battery.

If using NiMH insure you are using Energizer, Duracell or Sanyo

w/capacity greater than 2500 mAh. We have found these to be of higher

quality than others.

Otherwise, I am happy to set up an exchange for you. I need a good

shipping address, phone number and unit serial number please.

Let me know.

I take this to mean that you should return the unit if you are still having trouble with the battery indicator with properly charged NiMH rechargeables -- provided you have one of the three brands Garmin prefers...

I am going to try again to get a straight answer on alkaline non-rechargeables. Given the problems other posters have had with Colorado swaps, I'm a bit afraid to exchange the devil I know for one I don't.

Tom

On March 3, I finally got a non-responsive answer (to my question from 02/23) from Garmin tech support. Might be my fault for trying to communicate with "English as a second language" tech support by way of e-mail.

Despite being a neighbor of Missouri, I'm pretty sure they speak English in Kansas (as a first language, even).

On March 3, I finally got a non-responsive answer (to my question from 02/23) from Garmin tech support. Might be my fault for trying to communicate with "English as a second language" tech support by way of e-mail.

Despite being a neighbor of Missouri, I'm pretty sure they speak English in Kansas (as a first language, even).

Yeah, I went back to edit that post after I realized how it sounded. Unfortunately, I was too late. My point -- my only point -- was that in this particular case, the language barrier was an impediment to getting my issue resolved. I could have said that more tactfully.

Tom