Did we make a good choice?

Last night, my dad and I ordered our first Etrek Vista (just vista not HC or anything special) for geocaching, did we make a good choice?

Thanks!

~Phil

Be aware that some of the B&W Vistas (maybe all - I don't know) have an issue where the system date goes haywire from time to time. For most users this won't make any difference, and they may never even notice it if / when it happens - the unit works perfectly well in all other respects. For me, it was a killer issue - I couldn't download tracks into MapSource (the corrupt dates meant MapSource assumed the whole track-log was corrupt, so rejected it outright), and downloading the tracks into other software (e.g. OziExplorer) got the spatial information OK, but the dates were scrambled, so I couldn't georeference my digital photos - a core functionality for my use of the unit.

If neither of these issues matter to you, you will probably not have any problems. If these issues do matter, you might want to check out this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=177915&hl=

Last night, my dad and I ordered our first Etrek Vista (just vista not HC or anything special) for geocaching, did we make a good choice?

Thanks!

~Phil

If you paid under $100, then yes. Anything more than that you made a poor choice. You can get a Venture HC with the high sensitivity receiver and color display for under $150. That would be the way to go.

Don't second guess yourself. Get the unit, read the instructions, and then get out in the outdoors and find a geocache! You'll have a ton of fun!

There's almost always a bigger, better, brighter, and more whazoo unit of some sort out there. You'll need to decide if you want to spend your time and money chasing GPS technology or or looking for caches and maybe placing your own cache.

Have fun!

There's almost always a bigger, better, brighter, and more whazoo unit of some sort out there. You'll need to decide if you want to spend your time and money chasing GPS technology or or looking for caches and maybe placing your own cache.

Actually you can have a good GPS and still get out and look for and hide caches.

It's foolish to spend a lot of money on an obsolete unit, when you can get up to date technology for close to the same price.

I used the Vista and it is a better unit that the blue Legend that many on here have had and recommend, and yes I have also used a Legend. The compass works good, don't let these guys cut up your chioce, just give it a chance and you will have fun with it.

As long as you bought what you wanted (or could afford which is the case with most poeple here on the forum) then just go out and have fun!

Edited by Jeff in Pa

I used a "no frills" Vista to find nearly 200 caches all over the USA. It works fine. I never had a problem and battery life was good. I've upgraded to a Vista HCx since and it is better for sure, but you didn't make a mistake.

What will be more helpful to you than an improved compass, color screen, or whatever is to become a premium member of geocaching. That way you can use Pocket Queries to find the caches you want to hunt and then use one of the many programs out there (such as Geocaching Swiss Army Knife--GSAK) to download the coordinates to your vista.

As your addiction to geocaching grows, you will find that data management utilities are far more useful than the latest gadget. I sometimes still cache with my Forerunner 201 that doesn't even have a compass (it is a running GPS that staps to your wrist) and I still find caches.

Get out there and find some caches!