NEWBIE -> GPS / Software Question

ctk2651

Good day to all! I'm new to all this and have read much here and on other forums. Looking to purchase a GPS and topo software soon, but still waffling a little on the best choice. My needs are relatively simple. Looking for a unit for (1) hiking / backpacking, and (2) geocaching - just starting! Looked at many units and keep getting drawn back to the shiny, new Colorado 400t and National Geographic Mid-Atlantic software.

I'd appreciate comments and any/ all advice. Thanks!

Colorado 400t and National Geographic Mid-Atlantic software.
Just a basic point, that National Geographic Mid-Atlantic will NOT load on the Colorado or any other Garmin GPS.

One of the dirty little secrets of the industry is that GPS compatable means you can transferr back and forth routes, waypoints and tracks ONLY, NOT maps.

Therefore, a 300 with Topo 2008 would likely serve you better.

FWIW

If you are asking for opinions which it appears you I'll take the bait and start this thing off :) .

Yes, some units are better than other and there are several that consistently shine. If you are considering the Colorado I will assume you are willing to consider the higher end units? With that said you may wish to consider the following.

Colorado, new model, looks cool, reviews have been mixed (but new unit), cost, for topo maps you have to use Mapsource 1:100 scale or Nat Parks 1:24

60 CSx been around proven, button layout may not be your choice, great antenna chip set, same topo map restrictions as above.

76 Csx same as above, floats, alittle larger, same topo map issue (all garmin software cost extra)

PN-20 newer unit, all topos are 1:100 scale, PC software at the top of the game,software comes with unit, customer service great, get it in your hand first some folks are not thrilled with button layout and images, slower screen loading (more info, duh?), electronic compass not available

The other brands have there good and bad but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

By all means get the units you are considering in your hand. Decide what features are important, signal reception, screen size, power options, map detail, unit size, etc... Narrow it down to say two unit then search the site for reviews and remarks.

I'm sure others here can and will add more to this answer and even have different experiences that you may find of value. My remarks are only based on my observations and I am by no means an expert.

good luck

Thanks for the response. I did know that. My thinking was that the NatGeo maps were better than Garmin and transfer data (your point) back and forth. Never used the Garmin topo, but here they're inferior to NatGeo.

Colorado 400t and National Geographic Mid-Atlantic software.
Just a basic point, that National Geographic Mid-Atlantic will NOT load on the Colorado or any other Garmin GPS.

One of the dirty little secrets of the industry is that GPS compatable means you can transferr back and forth routes, waypoints and tracks ONLY, NOT maps.

Therefore, a 300 with Topo 2008 would likely serve you better.

FWIW

My advice would be to get the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx or Cx, get either Garmin's Topo maps OR City Navigator NT (depending on what you need), and then use the National Geographic map software for pre-trip research, creating waypoints/routes/tracks, preloading the GPS, printing very high quality paper maps, and then for saving field-created waypoints/routes/tracks.

If you're geocaching having the electronic compass on the 60CSx is VERY handy.

Also take a look at Geobuddy.com . For just $35 that software can do just about everything the NG map software does and more. The only thing it just doesn't do as well is when it comes to printing the maps. For that the NG software can't be beat. But heck, for $35... its also great for geocaching, thus the name.

Edited by kenk

Me 2 cents... :)

After alot of research and a couple emails to Garmin....the 60CSx and the VistaHCx are equals, yes the Vista has a patch antenna, but the 60CSx is also a year older, the button layouts are different and it seems about 50/50 on which praises people sing.

But in seeing your original post you said 1 of your intents is to take the unit backpacking, I would draw attention to the fact that the Vista has a much better battery life(being newer and more efficient) than the 60CSx. While I would say the weight between the units wouldn't really sway me, having been a USMC grunt I know the value of weight in the pack and you will need to carry more batteries for the 60 if you are planning an extended trip. This might not be a problem if you are going out for a day or so, but if you go out for a week at a time this might be a major investment.

Just a thought....

Semper Fi