New cache type and icon

mongoose39uk

Wonder who will get the first one out?

Rodz already has one out, and its been found, but at the moment it is showing as mystery cache with a blue question mark. I just tried a dummy run setting up a new listing and it shows the new Wherigo icon, so maybe Rodz just needs to change his listing to show the new icon and for finders to have the new icon in their finds list. :)

Edited to add link

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

I was wondering what the commercial viability was with this.....

It appears that some of these are going to cost!!!

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...ce-4333dd34db04

Look down the left hand side: Price=Free for this one!

Maybe that is why Groundspeak have been getting fussy with the commercial aspect of cache listings recently (I'm thinking off all the fuss over a menu link).

Rodz already has one out, and its been found, but at the moment it is showing as mystery cache with a blue question mark. I just tried a dummy run setting up a new listing and it shows the new Wherigo icon, so maybe Rodz just needs to change his listing to show the new icon and for finders to have the new icon in their finds list. :)

Edited to add link

Actually this was the first one in The World :unsure::laughing: , not just the UK. I've just checked and it now has the nice new icon too!

Edited to add link

Actually this was the first one in The World :unsure::laughing: , not just the UK. I've just checked and it now has the nice new icon too!

Woohoo!

I'm itching to do this one too..... gotta find time, gotta find time!

What I can't understand is why the new Wherigo game allows you a smiley, but Waymarking does not!

That's because you are finding a physical cache box at the end of it, whereas with Waymarking you are not. I suspect you would be able to set up virtual Wherigo packages (what do they call them? 'cassettes'?) as waymarks.

I suspect you would be able to set up virtual Wherigo packages (what do they call them? 'cassettes'?) as waymarks.

"Cartridges": but the icon is only for a Wherigo Geocache. I don't see why you can't set up a combined Wherigo /waymark but I don't quite see the point either.

What I can't understand is why the new Wherigo game allows you a smiley, but Waymarking does not!

See here: we'll have a profile covering both games;

"I will say that the most common complaint about Waymarking is that it is a "different site." "I don't have enough time to visit 2 sites" is a common response. Well, the new architecture will support both Geocaches and Waymarks together.

What does this mean? After Phoenix launches you will be able to see caches on both Geocaching.com and Waymarking.com and choose whether you want to be a Geocacher or a Waymarker or both (or neither. You can be a Historical Marker-er if you want)"

Anyone told Cryptik Souls Crew yet? They are the only ones in the UK (I think, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong :o ) with all the icons found so far. They will need to get this one now. :o

Working on it :P Put my pda on charge after I saw Jeremy's announcement.

I've even downloaded the builder so might place one of my own to return the favour to rodz...

That's because you are finding a physical cache box at the end of it, whereas with Waymarking you are not.

I accept your answer to a point, but Earthcaches are settable, loggable and they give you a smiley, but there is never a box at the end of them,so I think Groundspeak just have duel standards. I know that It would only take a small bit of code for them to add the Waymarking totals to a players Caching / Wherigo stats.

I think the majority of us just are not interested in Waymarking which IMHO is a load of bunkum,

Virtual / locationless caches are never going to be everyone's cup of tea, so I respect your choice to ignore these types. There's no rule that if you like one GPS-based game that you have to like them all!

I suppose that we'll soon get people complaining that Wherigo caches are impossible for those without the required equipment. At least this cache type can be excluded from Pocket Query results.

Not this old nugget of trying to flog Waymarking as vicruals and locationless. There is a Waymarking forum for Waymarking!

What this thread is about is a Wherigo hybrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please if you want to discuss how Waymarking is a virtual/locationless cache open a thread for that so I can bung it on an ignore

:blink:

Anyone told Cryptik Souls Crew yet? They are the only ones in the UK (I think, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong :wub: ) with all the icons found so far. They will need to get this one now. :wub:

lol, I had a contact from him at 8am today, I guess he's gone for it lol. I let him know about it on messenger at 10:30am just incase he missed it.

Shame I can't ever get a locaionless icon :blink:

Not this old nugget of trying to flog Waymarking as vicruals and locationless. There is a Waymarking forum for Waymarking!

Please if you want to discuss how Waymarking is a virtual/locationless cache open a thread for that so I can bung it on an ignore

I merely answered the points raised by Moote and Cache Hoppers about virtual/locationless/waymark (whatever you like to call them) caches in relation to the new Wherigo type: and went on to speculate that there will soon be threads complaining about Wherigo just like there are threads complaining about virtuals, locationless, and/or waymarks. I invite you to ignore posts that you don't like (for whatever reason?) and not feel obliged to comment on them. You simply have to read them once then forget them!

I merely answered the points raised by Moote and Cache Hoppers about virtual/locationless/waymark (whatever you like to call them) caches in relation to the new Wherigo type: and went on to speculate that there will soon be threads complaining about Wherigo just like there are threads complaining about virtuals, locationless, and/or waymarks. I invite you to ignore posts that you don't like (for whatever reason?) and not feel obliged to comment on them. You simply have to read them once then forget them!

Like I said this is about a new hybrid, not about W%%marking

I merely invite you to open another thread if you want to discuss w%%marking and not the new hybrid

Edited by mongoose39uk