If you could change one thing about geocaching what would it be?

TrailGators

Since we're asking Jeremy, I assume we're talking about site changes and not necessarily geocaching changes. If so then:

Get a good keyword search capability to search cache page title, descriptions, bookmarks, cachers, and so on, so I don't have to use Google search to search cache listings.

Yeah, that. Searching descriptions. Also, allow tags to enhance this.

If we're talking outside the site, then I guess --- more mountains in lower Michigan!

Edited by Dinoprophet

Seems to be a lot of requests to bring back virtuals. I have some changes I'd like to see in Waymarking that that might make it a better place to get the experience you had in hunting virtuals: more potpourri categories using various definitions of "wow" or some kind of waymark bookmark list to allow people to put together list of waymarks that are "wow". Then people could visit these places and get the same surprise they felt finding virtual caches. If that works out then maybe allowing geocachers to see these waymarks from the geocaching.com site so they wouldn't have to go to the Waymarking.com site. Perhaps even allowing geocachers to count these "wow" Waymarks in their find counts.

There also seem to be a few request to eliminate or reduce cache types that the person thinks are boring or lame. I agree, all geocaches should make me say "wow". There should be the following guideline for all geocaches:

A geocache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since one of the rewards for geocache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. If the location isn't "Wow" the geocache itself must be unique and demonstrate a hiding technique I have not seen before or have exceptional camouflage or container construction.
Reviewers would have to reject the pubilication of any geocache that doesn't meet the "wow" standard. :)

What I would ask Jeremy is to be able to create categories for geocaching just like the Waymarking categories. This would allow each user to tailor the site to hide or show categories they don't enjoy/enjoy on their own personalized home page. I really like the way that Waymarking does this. I don't think using just the terrain/difficulty and cache size/type has been effective at accomplishing this. I also think that the attribute experiment has failed because it relies too heavily on the input of many random users. Categories in Waymarking are managed by a team that ensures that the category standards are consistently maintained. I think this would really enhance geocaching for everyone.

There also seem to be a few request to eliminate or reduce cache types that the person thinks are boring or lame. I agree, all geocaches should make me say "wow". There should be the following guideline for all geocaches:

A geocache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since one of the rewards for geocache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. If the location isn't "Wow" the geocache itself must be unique and demonstrate a hiding technique I have not seen before or have exceptional camouflage or container construction.
Reviewers would have to reject the pubilication of any geocache that doesn't meet the "wow" standard. :)

That's a good point, but the "WOW" factor is subjective... What might be cool and exciting to one person might not be to another.

- Bring back virtuals but bring them back with some sort of validation system to stop armchair logging (picture, code, email validation, something).

- Include find and dnf count numbers on a cache owner's page and allow owned caches to be sorted and displayed by name rather then just by date last found.

- Allow however many logs you want (up to all of them) for PQ's

- Change the numbering scheme under the maps on the cache pages (you never know what map you'll get from what number)

- Disallow the same cacher to post more then one find to the same cache

- Start a review system for caches like the 5-star rating system (but somehow allow a dispute process to happen as some people may use this for vendictive purposes)

- Seperate groupings for nanos and micros

- Make a seperate groupings for puzzle caches and bonus caches (rather then mystery/unknown for both)

- Get rid of the way the GC code search on the main page displays the GC but when you click in it your cursor jumps in front of the |GC and not after it GC|

- Allow wildcards in keyword searches

- Ban people from starting cache names with characters like * or " or - so us folks with PDA's with alphabetical listings can find them

- Change the Travel Bug section of your personal account information page to be Trackables and include geocoins (the only way to look up your own geocoin is to know the tracking number or look at your account like an outsider would, they are not listed on your account information page)

- Behead people who steal your geocoins (well, maybe not behead, maybe just draw-and-quater them)

- Add a section to the Groundspeak Forum for MIA camo containers and trackables (I have heard of people 'stealing' a camoed container when on vacation, returning home and putting it out as their hide... just a rumor but I have had some good camo jobs vanish).

- Provide the geocaching guides in professional printable PDF format so they can be printed out and handed out and present geocaching to the public in a harmonious fashion rather then everyone's personal interpretation by word of mouth. And include additional ones like "The benifits of having a geocache placed on your land" and "How trackable items work".

- Bring back the old way cache pages used to print out

- Work with Google Maps to allow the direct import of PQ GPX files straight in (they always seem to fail) so you can store your GC map information on your iGoogle site and access it from any computer with internet access.

- Allow the displaying and searching of archived caches in an area.

My 2-cents (well, that was more like 8-cents....)

Edited by infiniteMPG

What I would ask Jeremy is to be able to create categories for geocaching just like the Waymarking categories. This would allow each user to tailor the site to hide or show categories they don't enjoy/enjoy on their own personalized home page. I really like the way that Waymarking does this. I don't think using just the terrain/difficulty and cache size/type has been effective at accomplishing this. I also think that the attribute experiment has failed because it relies too heavily on the input of many random users. Categories in Waymarking are managed by a team that ensures that the category standards are consistently maintained. I think this would really enhance geocaching for everyone.

This could be implemented as a group managed bookmark list. Cache owners (or finders) could nominate caches for the list and group managers could add the caches they feel meet their category's definition. For example a group could set up a list like San Diego's Consensus Favorites.

There should be the following guideline for all geocaches:

I don't think this would work very well. My humble caches on some nice trails around here would have no chance of competing against places like Glacier National Park for a WOW factor (yes, caches aren't usually hidden in US national parks, it's just an example).

Also, some folks think a guardrail film can along a non-descript highway is fun to seek while others do not. Accounting for variability in taste would be impossible.

This could be implemented as a group managed bookmark list. Cache owners (or finders) could nominate caches for the list and group managers could add the caches they feel meet their category's definition. For example a group could set up a list like San Diego's Consensus Favorites.

I favor having a separate rating/award system from the category itself. That way you can have all the categories that you enjoy and also know which ones are the consensus favorites within those categories. Also Waymarking already has the engine and the categories. So why reinvent the wheel? You could certainly add caches to many of the same categories that exist in Waymarking. The only issue is that you would somehow have to divide the peer review by regions. I was thinking that Waymarking may have to do this someday if some categories really take get heavily loaded. This idea would also bring back virtuals... :) Edited by TrailGators

I would like to see a better way of classifying caches by categories being introduced in the next version of the site, assuming a cache will be allowed to belong to more than one category at a time (for example, a cache that's both a puzzle cache and a multi-cache, or a cache that's both a puzzle cache and a night cache, etc).

Edited by Ferreter5

- Bring back virtuals only with some kind of approval system like currently used for Earthcaches (there has to be a VERY good reason not to place a 'real' cache) - I don't care about armchair loggers, but I do care if the world gets filled up with virtuals every 500 feet, instead of real caches. Plus sometimes the creator of a virtual is no longer around as an active player to check the validity of the logs, so additional requirements won't always solve the armchair problem anyway.

- Allow cache sorting by direction. For instance I currently have the following for my closest not found caches:

25.6 km NW

28.9 km NE

31 km NE

31.2 km NW

32.1 km NE

I'd like to be able to click on, say, NW to only display the caches in that direction, in this example that would be:

25.6 NW

31.2 NW

That will help me a lot when planning my trips!

- Improve the container size system: make it clearer what 'regular' means (I have seen caches listed as regulars that were only 3x3 inches). RIght now everyone applies their own interpretation. Regular = Ammobox/Tupperware is not very precise since these are available in a very wide array of sizes. Also I think it would be useful to add 'nano' (it would be used a lot more than Large is being used). It would also be helpful to keep only one of the two 'sizes' Unknown' and 'Other'.

Enhance the bookmark list feature by allowing us to search for bookmark lists by keyword, and to make the "favorites" list a special list so that searchers can filter for just the caches which appear on one or more favorites lists.

Some of these suggestions would be better presented on the geocaching.com web site forum as that is the place to request enhancements. However since you brought it up...

First, fix the broken paging function. When viewing a multiple page bookmark lists, the site gets very confused and will keep on rendering the same list of caches when selecting different page number or prev/next button.

Provide a "Move Bookmark" function. Let me check boxes on a bookmark list then bulk move them to another list.

Provide "private", "public", and "shared" bookmark lists. Public lists are "read only" by anyone. "Shared" lists can be read or updated by anyone.

Even though I am new I would love to do virtuals. The best way to stop the armchair loggers would be to include a picture of the cacher in that area. If someone is camera shy or on their own they can have a picture of their GPS and gear at the spot. This would apply to every cache. It would be nice to see a collection of pictures on the logs. :)

I'll also add "Bring back Virtual Caches". Any cache can have logging requirements and it's not unreasonable to provide some sort of proof of a virtual find or a virtual cache. For some caches at historical locations a virtual cache makes more sense than a traditional as there would be little (I realized some cachers don't read the listings) chance of cachers of disturbing the environment in search of a physical container.

Some kind of system for deleting sock puppet accounts and accounts of inactive cachers. Seriously, if a newbie stops caching for a year, then there's a good chance that person won't even remember his caching name or password in the unlikely event that he starts caching again.

Hey! I stopped caching for 2 years and I came back! (Well, not true, I did do a few caches between then, but they were like every 6 months or something)

Anyways, I'd get ride of Waymarking and put all of those caches (virtual, locationless, webcam) back on GC.com. However, for the virtuals I'd require every person logging a find to post a picture with them at the location.

That's why I say "some kind of system." Someone once suggested that an email be sent out to geocachers if they don't visit the website in a given length of time, asking them if they still want to keep their profile. Click the link provided and the profile stays for another six months.

Some people do come back, I know, but the system is loaded with unused and abandoned accounts. Some of those include some great caching names that someone else might like to have. The real shame is in the use of sock puppet accounts.

Not something I would change, but something I would add:

Weekly caching "challenges". This could be accompanied by some kind of leaderboard. It would be completely voluntary and wouldn't affect those that didn't play

Callenges? -Like What? Sounds interesting although might be better suited for local geocaching clubs.

Get rid of the ability to use Google Earth,and all those drop down maps that show you where the cache is without even owning a GPSR.

This game is getting way too easy.and we are getting way to lazy.{ I know I am dreaming on this one}

A rating system is a must, because people are afraid to tell the truth when a cache stinks.

It would make owners" improve or remove".

No mandantory cache finds for hiders ..I am more of a hider than a hunter because of physical reasons.

Don't' take that away from us, let the rating system sort out the lousy caches.

***I would like to see lots more micros and nanos, particularly of the lamppost skirt, guardrail, streetcorner post office box and sidewalk newspaper box genre, and concomitantly, I would like to see all caches in those categories moved to a separate website.***

So, my Bison Tube hanging on a wire fence is safe....WHEW!!!!

The change that i'd like most is One GC number equals one find (temporary caches can't be logged as events, and the rule would be made retroactive. :o

Create a newer query system to help those of us that despise 1/1s in parking lots but don't mind 1/1s in historical locations. I like the idea of allowing pocket queries to hunt for caches with "cacher A's favorite" bookmarks.

#3 Assign a numerical value (in addition to the number of finds) based on terrain where higher terrain caches give you a higher total.

#4 Allow Virtuals only in National Parks, Wilderness areas, or other nature areas where physical cachers are disallowed.

#5 Ban electrical hides.

I would like to see a time limit (1 or 2 years) set on all caches to keep the sport fresh. I've found all the caches at some nearby parks, which are now at saturation. Archive them and rehide the caches, so that the locals can enjoy caching at prime locations again.

That is a foolish and very selfish idea. That means all of the original caches still in existance would be purged so you can have more smilies. :o

The change that i'd like most is One GC number equals one find (temporary caches can't be logged as events, and the rule would be made retroactive. :o
So you want to limit the number of smilies other people can have based on the way they enjoy playing the game. I wonder if this is because you want your smilies to count for more so you can look better when you compare yourself to other people?

#3 Assign a numerical value (in addition to the number of finds) based on terrain where higher terrain caches give you a higher total.
Well, I don't wonder any more. This is a very foolish and selfish idea. This means that all the caches will be over rated just so you can have more smilies. :o
So you want to limit the number of smilies other people can have based on the way they enjoy playing the game. I wonder if this is because you want your smilies to count for more so you can look better when you compare yourself to other people?

Well, I don't wonder any more. This is a very foolish and selfish idea. This means that all the caches will be over rated just so you can have more smilies. :o

Didn't you read the OP? No debates scofflaw! :P

- Bring back virtuals...

snip

- Allow cache sorting by direction. For instance I currently have the following for my closest not found caches:

25.6 km NW

28.9 km NE

31 km NE

31.2 km NW

32.1 km NE

I'd like to be able to click on, say, NW to only display the caches in that direction, in this example that would be:

25.6 NW

31.2 NW

That will help me a lot when planning my trips!

/snip

Download a PQ

Use Filters in GSAK to sort by direction and distance.

http://www.gsak.net

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler
Stats.

Removal of all stats, i.e. extinction of the smilie.

Justification: no reward, no reason to place or find cache that have no other inherent value and 90% or better of the trache would eventually go away.

Barring that then the option to both turn off my public display of my find log count and the ability to deny the increment of others' find count with finds on my caches.

Add to this to the ability to see someone's list of DNFs when they DNF one of my caches. I don't care how many finds they have, that doesn't tell me anything. I want to know how often their DNFs are just them not finding a viable cache versus the cache actually being missing or having problems.

The change that i'd like most is One GC number equals one find (temporary caches can't be logged as events, and the rule would be made retroactive. :wub:

Well, I don't wonder any more. This is a very foolish and selfish idea. This means that all the caches will be over rated just so you can have more smilies. :blink:

Posters who are clearly intolerant of the opinions of other cachers (when their opionions were asked for), and fail to abide by the rules of the OP, would have their posting priveleges revoked. :wub:

Edited by Kit Fox
Stats.

Removal of all stats, i.e. extinction of the smilie.

Justification: no reward, no reason to place or find cache that have no other inherent value and 90% or better of the trache would eventually go away.

Barring that then the option to both turn off my public display of my find log count and the ability to deny the increment of others' find count with finds on my caches.

Add to this to the ability to see someone's list of DNFs when they DNF one of my caches. I don't care how many finds they have, that doesn't tell me anything. I want to know how often their DNFs are just them not finding a viable cache versus the cache actually being missing or having problems.

If 1/1 lamp post caches were only worth 1/10th of a smiley, people would spend more time outdoors visiting caches that feature "the Language of Location," rather than parking lots, alleys, etc. Of course a few whiners would would scream discrimination because they can't hike and their "smiley value" would be less than those of us who do hike. :blink:

I would like to see a time limit (1 or 2 years) set on all caches to keep the sport fresh. I've found all the caches at some nearby parks, which are now at saturation. Archive them and rehide the caches, so that the locals can enjoy caching at prime locations again.

That is a foolish and very selfish idea. That means all of the original caches still in existance would be purged so you can have more smilies. :blink:

Posters who are clearly intolerant of the opinions of other cachers (when their opinions were asked for), and fail to abide by the rules of the OP, would have their posting privileges revoked. :wub: