If you could change one thing about geocaching what would it be?

TrailGators

OK I will be the one to throw the gasoline on the fire......

Make micros/nanos on thier own site or a seperate section, or at least limit thier numbers somehow ex: distance between/density.

Honestly, I like the site now, but if you could promise me that when I sign on and see the new caches in my area, I could have a "pre-filter" so they (micros) are not shown unless I ask for them, ( I am sure micro hunters might even ask for same about regular sized caches at times) I am so happy when I see new caches in my area, but then see that 17/20 are micros is kinda heartbreaking.

If that is a an option ya got my $30 no sweat.

(not so much a gripe, just a options request)

Term limits for Volunteer Reviewers and Forum Moderators.

OOooOoOOoo I LIKE that one, but I would change it a little. Instead of term limits, I would like to see an external review process to address complaints. Why kick out good folks that WANT to do these thankless jobs?:)

I've seen some reviewers and forum mods get a bit too high and mighty, but I've also seen a few of these same folks redeem themselves. There's one in particular <removed by moderator> :D:):D:laughing::unsure:

Edited by Michael

Well, I'd change the attitude of some cacher....if that were possible! Too much "entitlement attitude" being seen lately.

With what powers?

This?

mind_control.gif

Or this?

elektroshock-electroshock-therapie-ect.jpg

(my best Tom Sawyer voice) If'n I was God Jeremy, I'd kill a kitten every time someone posted their sense of entitlement for all to see! (/voice) :):):laughing::unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

Well, I'd change the attitude of some cacher....if that were possible! Too much "entitlement attitude" being seen lately.

With what powers?

This?

mind_control.gif

Or this?

elektroshock-electroshock-therapie-ect.jpg

(my best Tom Sawyer voice) If'n I was God Jeremy, I'd kill a kitten every time someone posted their sense of entitlement for all to see! (/voice) :):):laughing::unsure:

Sometimes, I think it needs more of a boot to the rear...

Some kind of system for deleting sock puppet accounts and accounts of inactive cachers. Seriously, if a newbie stops caching for a year, then there's a good chance that person won't even remember his caching name or password in the unlikely event that he starts caching again.

Hey! I stopped caching for 2 years and I came back! (Well, not true, I did do a few caches between then, but they were like every 6 months or something)

Anyways, I'd get ride of Waymarking and put all of those caches (virtual, locationless, webcam) back on GC.com. However, for the virtuals I'd require every person logging a find to post a picture with them at the location.

Jeremy has referenced doing a rating system of some kind. I'm ready.

It's okay when I'm caching locally, I know the area and the local cachers, but it sure is tough to travel. There's now so much (who'd have thunk that too many caches would be a complaint? ever?) that it's hard to get a handle on what a person might want to take the time to find.

CR has suggested a length of log system, and I think that would work.

I believe Jeremy was referencing a simple 1 - 5 stars system (positive ratings only).

Anything would be better than nothing.

... Honestly, I like the site now, but if you could promise me that when I sign on and see the new caches in my area, I could have a "pre-filter" so they (micros) are not shown unless I ask for them, ...
PMs can kind of do this already. All you have to do is build a pocket query which excludes micros and create a shortcut to it on your desktop.
Enhance the bookmark list feature by allowing us to search for bookmark lists by keyword, and to make the "favorites" list a special list so that searchers can filter for just the caches which appear on one or more favorites lists.
I like that idea. TPTB could perhaps create categories that people could use to flag their bookmark lists so other people could easily find them.

<The more times that I read your post, the more I think that this is what you are advocating, rather than a simple word search.>

However, if I could make one change it would be to remove the chronic trolls from the forums, and perhaps be able to veto avatars based on popular demand.

I would change the way a lot of people think that the way THEY play is the only acceptable way.

For instance, someone wanting to get rid of all micros because they don't like them. How selfish is that? There are a lot of people that really love micros. This one especially annoys me since it's SO easy to filter out micros from PQs, and then you'll never have to see them.

Same goes with LPCs. Some people don't like them so they want to get rid of them. Very selfish. Apparently the people that have thousands and thousands of logs on these caches can do without because there's some people that don't like them.

Same goes for multi-logging caches. Some people enjoy logging additional caches found at events, and if they do it on a cache set up just for the extra logs it doesn't effect the event page. Why remove their ability to have fun when it doesn't hurt anyone else? Wanting to get rid of this and FORCE a "one GC number = one smiley rule" on others is almost the height of selfishness.

So I'd get rid of all the selfishness in the players and allow for more understanding and tolerance of other people's preferences.

Edited by Mushtang

Block the ablility for a cacher to log a find on the same cache more than one time.

That would work for me! But i could also go for something like this. For those who want to record temporary event caches that they have found, add something like, "found temp event cache", to the online log dropdown. This would allow those who want to keep up with these, an easy way to do it. Of course, this number would show seperately in the stats... :)

You're at an event and Jeremy walks up to you and asks you:

"If you could change one thing about geocaching what would it be?"

Honestly, what would you suggest? :unsure:

My very first thought was "Bring back the Virtuals." And, I'm not the only person who wants that. :laughing:

I would put back LOCATIONLESS VIRTUAL CACHES. (fixed) They were FAR better than WAYMARKS, and you got to see things similar but different from all over the world, such as ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSES, BALLPARKS, DAMS, etc, that you would otherwise never see. They were my favorites by far. Only my opinion though.

Bring back virtuals, though with the requirement that owners delete the logs of armchair loggers. I've visited some great virtuals that took me to memorable places, but where a cache cannot be hidden. They should count darnit! :)

Anyways, I'd get ride of Waymarking and put all of those caches (virtual, locationless, webcam) back on GC.com. However, for the virtuals I'd require every person logging a find to post a picture with them at the location.

This is especially important for this area since a bull-headed Park Superintendent has just dis-allowed caching in a 600,000 acre State Park.

My apologies to all you people who think Waymarking is a good substitute -- it isn't. :)

Less apce between caches in specific communities. If one cache is in a complex with a big wall and only one exit/entrace and the other is 500 feet away (though it's really .2 miles because you have to go around) then I think it's ok.

If you explain this to most reviewers, they would get approved. There is a local park near me with some caches only 300 or 400 feet apart because one is at the top of a 70 foot bluff and the other one is in the creek below.

Even though I am new I would love to do virtuals. The best way to stop the armchair loggers would be to include a picture of the cacher in that area. If someone is camera shy or on their own they can have a picture of their GPS and gear at the spot. This would apply to every cache. It would be nice to see a collection of pictures on the logs. :)