Wherigo Cache Type

Jeremy

I'm sure there could be a valid argument to list it as Unknown but why would you want to? Those that have a Wherigo player are going to look for Wherigo caches. If you list it as Unknown, it would be lost in the sea of puzzles and those with a Wherigo player will probably never see it. Conversely, if it's listed as Unknown, the puzzle solvers will look at it and ignore it because they don't have a player. So I think it's in your best interest to list it properly.

I completely agree with what you're saying. My question is are we moving away from the owner's option of listing his cache as an unknown.

The unknown category is a catch-all for various reasons. ALRs can be a straight forward traditional cache, but because of the additional element it should be listed as an unknown. A puzzle, though technically an offset or multistage cache, is in the unknown category because the listed coordinates are only an anchor and the user doesn't have to visit that location to complete the hunt. Owner's have the option of voluntarily putting their caches in the unknown for whatever reason.

We know that cache hunts can evolve down the road so they don't fit properly. While I can't think of a twist on a Wherigo cache right now, I'm sure someone down the road will. Who would have thought of ALRs in the beginning? Nanos?

If the option of putting any cache in the unknown category is kept it would help alleviate some angst down the road when one person's cache that requires a Wherigo cartridge but doesn't quite fit. I think it dangerous to remove this option from the Wherigo cache type. Folks will ask why all other caches have the option but that type doesn't. Or they will point at the requirement as precedence for the other types.

Slightly off topic: will there be an attribute for caches that have the option of using a Wherigo cartridge?

As I was saying above about using a cartridge as a puzzle element, what if someone wanted to create both a paperless and paper versions of the puzzle? An attribute would help show caches that use, though not necessarily require, a Wherigo cartridge.

I agree with what I think is your thinking about the requirement for it to be a Wherigo cache because of the icon collecting. I think a better way to gather all caches that use cartridges might be useful.

CoyoteRed,

The letter "i" is not capitalized in Wherigo.

I suppose that someone can list their cache as an unknown even if it has a Wherigo cartridge in it but why would anyone do that? Wherigo cartridge authors want people to play/give feedback on their carts so listing it properly is the best way to go.

There is no attribute for caches that have the option of using a Wherigo cartridge.

Everyone else,

Watch out for any new puzzle caches by CoyoteRed. It is probabaly a mislabeled Wherigo geocache. :anibad:

The letter "i" is not capitalized in Wherigo.
Thanks, Miss Jenn, for the heads up on that.

I suppose that someone can list their cache as an unknown even if it has a Wherigo cartridge in it but why would anyone do that? Wherigo cartridge authors want people to play/give feedback on their carts so listing it properly is the best way to go.

There is no attribute for caches that have the option of using a Wherigo cartridge.

I know if I ever get to use a Wherigo cartridge as a required element of the hunt I'm going to list it as Wherigo cache.

Everyone else,

Watch out for any new puzzle caches by Coyote Red. It is probabaly a mislabeled Wherigo geocache. ;)

;)

Yes, but Groundspeak is confident that all the Wherigo files are harmless to your computer. :laughing:
Yeah, everyone knows the .mp3s are out to get you, but Wherigo cartridges are magically innocent! Signal approves each one by hand.

Each Cartridge is compiled by Groundspeak's servers and hosted on Wherigo.com. Files you download on other web sites are downloaded from other web sites and not hosted on any Groundspeak site. Perhaps in the future we will allow mp3 uploads on Groundspeak's web servers. When that happens we can allow "podcache" types.

:D:D Does this mean that there is another Cache Type in the works?? When can we start submitting artwork?

The Steaks

Cache type is "Wherigo Cache" and the log types are no different than a Traditional Cache.

I do apologize for not giving developers more time for this cache type.

edited to correct several conceptual errors:

on user profile pages, the geocaches tab, the Wherigo cache type does not show the little * noting the cache counts towards "* total caches found" Simple addition shows that they are being counted but it did cause some concern by several cachers that thought that the caches did not count towards their totals.

Edited by nmartin

Now I have to buy the 400t.. :laughing:

Are there samples that can be viewed to see what Wherigo can do? I would like to build one up, however, it would be nice to see others or a sample without driving 100 miles to test it out. Just curious.. I thought it would give me better creativity.

Paul

Now I have to buy the 400t.. :anitongue:

Are there samples that can be viewed to see what Wherigo can do? I would like to build one up, however, it would be nice to see others or a sample without driving 100 miles to test it out. Just curious.. I thought it would give me better creativity.

Paul

Sure, download the builder ( and assoicated software). Then download a cartridge and use the emulator (contained in the builder) to view it.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Paul

Sure, download the builder ( and assoicated software). Then download a cartridge and use the emulator (contained in the builder) to view it.

Deane

For kicks, I thought I'd give this a try to see what it looked like. I downloaded the builder (I assume the "associated software" came with the download) and installed it on my laptop. I then opened the builder and it appears to be functional as it seems to allow me to start the process of creating a new cartridge. I then downloaded a cartridge and saved it as a .gwc file. Next I tried to open the cartridge in the builder, but the builder doesn't find the file in the directory that I saved it in. I'm assuming that I have to open a cartridge before I can run the emulator. Do I somehow need to define the file type "cartridge files" somewhere or have I missed a step somewhere? Thanks.

Ok - I just keyed in the file name and got it that way. The builder won't open it though as I'm getting error messages. Back to the drawing board.

Edited by ZSteve

Paul

Deane

For kicks, I thought I'd give this a try to see what it looked like. I downloaded the builder (I assume the "associated software" came with the download) and installed it on my laptop. I then opened the builder and it appears to be functional as it seems to allow me to start the process of creating a new cartridge. I then downloaded a cartridge and saved it as a .gwc file. Next I tried to open the cartridge in the builder, but the builder doesn't find the file in the directory that I saved it in. I'm assuming that I have to open a cartridge before I can run the emulator. Do I somehow need to define the file type "cartridge files" somewhere or have I missed a step somewhere? Thanks.

Ok - I just keyed in the file name and got it that way. The builder won't open it though as I'm getting error messages. Back to the drawing board.

I have read (and tried) that you can change the gwc extension to .zip. Then you can unzip the contents and load the cartridge.

Paul

I have read (and tried) that you can change the gwc extension to .zip. Then you can unzip the contents and load the cartridge.

You can't open compiled cartridges in the builder. You can play them in the emulator, but not view the code.

If you want to look at a cartridge's code, you will need to find one that is open source. More of the older cartridges were listed as open source than is true of the newer ones. You'll see a "License" link on the bottom of the left column. For instance: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f5-f3890cedebe0

Those are the files that can have their extensions changed to .zip and decompressed. After that, you'll see a .lua file in the decompressed directory. That is the cartridge source, which you can view in the builder.

You can't open compiled cartridges in the builder. You can play them in the emulator, but not view the code.

If you want to look at a cartridge's code, you will need to find one that is open source. More of the older cartridges were listed as open source than is true of the newer ones. You'll see a "License" link on the bottom of the left column. For instance: http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...f5-f3890cedebe0

Those are the files that can have their extensions changed to .zip and decompressed. After that, you'll see a .lua file in the decompressed directory. That is the cartridge source, which you can view in the builder.

Thanks - When I tried the emulator yesterday, the builder locked up so I thought maybe I had to open the file first. I've since rebooted and the emulator seems to be working fine this morning. Very cool!

Thanks for the correction. I looked at the cartridge I have and it was the open source that I downloaded.

Paul

I have co-FTF on the only Wherigo cache in Canada.

I don't have a Colorado. When I tried to install the emulator, I discovered I needed Microsoft .NET. My company neuters all of the the .NET functionality in all of our PC's for security reasons.

So I was forced to rely on my caching partner to run the emulator on her PC.

Dear Jeremy.

The new cache type is a way to help integrate the functionality of Wherigo into Geocaching.com.

Obviously to play a Wherigo experience you will need to download the cartridge from the Wherigo.com web site.

Chapter "Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types" in your listing guidelines says:

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.
How does this cache type comply to this guideline, as it requires me to download and install a piece of software on my PDA?

Or will this requirement be removed in the next revision of your listing guidelines?

I am asking this to avoid discussions with our local reviewers, or at least to have an official statement at my hands in case of arguments.

Kind regards

Mika

Chapter "Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types" in your listing guidelines says:
In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.
How does this cache type comply to this guideline, as it requires me to download and install a piece of software on my PDA?

Or will this requirement be removed in the next revision of your listing guidelines?

This portion of the guidelines does not apply to Wherigo. (Emphasis mine, above.)

This portion of the guidelines does not apply to Wherigo. (Emphasis mine, above.)

So then why were podcaches banned? MP3's rarely, if ever, contain malicious data. Listening to them on an MP3 player is pretty darn safe. But since they don't constitute a new cache type that GS.com agrees with, they won't publish them (emphasis added by me) because of the "may" not be published listed above. But if they are supported by Groundspeak, published by Groundspeak, or hosted on their servers, they will allow them? (and encourage people to go out and buy one specific kind of GPSr, or PDA, to use this...)

I hope these quickly go the way of the virtuals (which I support bringing back) and locationless caches (which I missed out on, and make sense for Waymarks, but virtuals don't).

JMHO.

The wheel was working fine; why did they feel the need to go out and reinvent it?

Answer: because a car wheel does not fit on a train. These are two different things. Wherigo is meant to be more than just a different cache type. For now, since most of the Wherigo players are geocachers, this just so happens to be the most convenient use of what is provided. You'll see some Wherigo cartridges that aren't published on gc.com.

Perhaps there will be a day when Wherigo caches will not be allowed on gc.com, just as virtuals moved to Waymarking.com.

I hope these quickly go the way of the virtuals (which I support bringing back) and locationless caches (which I missed out on, and make sense for Waymarks, but virtuals don't).

That will happen if community interest wanes. Wherigo is still a novelty; no one knows what will happen in the log run. I also missed out on locationless caches; those were before my time as well. Virtuals are still around, in a way; just make a multi or mystery cache that is dependent upon your virtual element or require a photo to be taken in addition to signing the log. There are lots of ways around as long as it's not an icon you're looking for.

As for mp3s, you can still create a sound dependent cache. I thought about leaving tapes and a player somewhere as part of a cache or even placing a self-contained unit. histryboy did well with "Countdown" (GC1413P), which used sound at specific places and times.

For irony's sake, because it's funny to say, you can now make a podcache by using Wherigo. Just load your sound files into Wherigo and have them play when the person enters an area.

Today we added a new cache type: The Wherigo Cache

The new cache type is a way to help integrate the functionality of Wherigo into Geocaching.com. Since the Wherigo Cache type is a unique type of Multi or Puzzle cache it warranted a new type to differentiate it from other types. Very quickly you can determine whether the type is available for you (depending on whether you have a device that supports it). Obviously our goal is to continue to support more devices so more people can incorporate media rich experiences as part of their cache hunts.

If you create a Wherigo cache you will use the Url field to point to the page of the Wherigo cart on Wherigo.com. Obviously to play a Wherigo experience you will need to download the cartridge from the Wherigo.com web site.

Already there have been several caches created with this type so it's part of the continuing evolution of geocaching. Make sure to check out the update in the guidelines to address this new type.

For more information on Wherigo, visit Wherigo.com

I suggest to remove Wherigo-caches from the geocaching platform. These caches request either the use of a pocket pc or the use of a new GPS.

First let me remember that you have added following statement to the guidelines (http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx) yourself:

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Well, imho a pocket PC is not a GPS.

Secondly lots of users are not glad to be forced to buy new equipment, i.e. buying a new GPS (named Colorado) - I am not willing to buy another GPS unit as I'm still satisfied with the one I have already - just for taking part in a new variant of geocaching.

Perhaps a few want to, but I believe this does not qualify Wherigo-Caches to be listed within the common platform on geocaching.com.

A much better place for these caches is the aparted Wherigo.com database - you already aparted locationless and virtual caches to Waymarking.com so why not applying the same strategy to Wherigo caches.

If these caches remain on geocaching.com it should be the best to implement additional features referring the ignore lists for premium members. If Wherigo caches increase in number I will set them on my ignore list. Great additional options would be following:

-- select cache type you want to ignore (Wherigo-caches, mysteries or whatever)

-- select cache size you want wo ignore (micro, small etc.)

-- enter name of user you want to ignore completely

regards

Marco

Well, imho a pocket PC is not a GPS.

A GPS receiver for a Pocket PC is required. It still uses the GPS to find the cache. Wherigo is based on your position in the world while you are playing the cartridge.

lots of users are not glad to be forced to buy new equipment ... just for taking part in a new variant of geocaching.

I figure at the advent of geocaching, people weren't thrilled with buying a GPSr just to find between one and ten caches in a fifty mile radius, then a second just to handle maps, then routing. Devices evolve over time and they need replacing. Perhaps Wherigo was released before the technology was ubiquitous, but everything has its time before it comes to the mainstream. Whether it gets there is up to the community.

No one is forcing anyone to go out and find a single geocache, let alone a Wherigo cache. Personally, I don't like puzzle mystery caches, so I frequently skip over them. Something with that way of caching has been working out for me, considering I've found more than 5600 caches in less than two years. If you don't like a cache type, size, or hider, just don't do it--that simple. I like variety, so I'll find what I can. Also, Wherigo gives me a toolset to create even more creative caches. I don't have to rely on the cartridge for the full cache, either. Now, I can tell stories and hide suitcases and props in the woods as well as ammo cans.

A much better place for these caches is the aparted Wherigo.com database - you already aparted locationless and virtual caches to Waymarking.com so why not applying the same strategy to Wherigo caches.

Perhaps as time goes by, more and more people will opt out of cross-listing a cartridge with a cache. However, that necessitates a community of its own. Without cross-listing, I doubt there would have been as much interest as there has been thus far. Perhaps there will be a day when Wherigo has its own following and doesn't need geocaching.com to help it grow. I don't expect that any time soon.

If these points do not persuade, I do have to point out Groundspeak owns geocaching.com, so the company can in fact do as it pleases. Instead of doing so, however, these forums have been set up to allow us the chance to offer feedback with which to help the business better serve our needs. I'd like to think that's a good exchange.

OK, I like the idea of the Wherigo cache, and will be picking up a colorado ( my 60CSx has died), just one question.

Shouldn't the caches be a D5? You do need special equipment to play the cartridge. I know that most of the stores in my area do not have the colorado in stock, and probably won't until November.

I suggest to remove Wherigo-caches from the geocaching platform. These caches request either the use of a pocket pc or the use of a new GPS.

Perhaps a few want to, but I believe this does not qualify Wherigo-Caches to be listed within the common platform on geocaching.com.

I agree. Bring back locationless and virtuals which were great and put this Wherigo on the sidelines like waymarks WhereTheyBelong.

Well we have finally had a Wherigo cache here in Australia and we got a FTF. What a great idea it was brilliant to complete. I used my Imate Jam with a bluetooth gps unit and had no issues. there are so many possibilities with this I can really see these taking off. ;)

Hopefully more devices will be able to use the software for more people to enjoy. Great idea. thanks :ph34r:

Shouldn't the caches be a D5? You do need special equipment to play the cartridge. I know that most of the stores in my area do not have the colorado in stock, and probably won't until November.
A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment sicne we hope that more and more (and more) devices will be compatible.
A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment sicne we hope that more and more (and more) devices will be compatible.

Can you tell us what devices you see supporting this in the future? Would the Garmin 60cxs have a future firmware update adding this functionality, as an example?

TA

I agree. Bring back locationless and virtuals which were great and put this Wherigo on the sidelines like waymarks WhereTheyBelong.

"GPS Units can range from $100 to $1000 depending on the kind of capabilities you are looking for. The author uses a Garmin eTrex... " From the FAQs on geocaching.com .

Looks like you can no longer find any cache with a $100 gps unit.

I agree to removing Wherigo caches from GC. I much prefer locationless and virtuals for I can continue using my GPS. I'm not suggestiong Wherigo is not going to be fun, but I don't feel it belongs alongside what we have had before.

"GPS Units can range from $100 to $1000 depending on the kind of capabilities you are looking for. The author uses a Garmin eTrex... " From the FAQs on geocaching.com .

Looks like you can no longer find any cache with a $100 gps unit.

I agree to removing Wherigo caches from GC. I much prefer locationless and virtuals for I can continue using my GPS. I'm not suggestiong Wherigo is not going to be fun, but I don't feel it belongs alongside what we have had before.

You can set up a Wherigo cache to act somewhat as the old virtuals. You can have the cacher go to a monument and answer questions about the location or interact with a virtual character before they are given the coords for the physical cache.

I see the type as being a new, and potentially very good addition to the cache types.

Would a cache based on a Mediascape be considered a Wherigo cache or a standard puzzle cache?

A Wherigo cache requires a Wherigo cartridge. If the cache page does not use a Wherigo cartridge then its not a Wherigo cache. There is no provision for using another systems game for a Wherigo cache.

WherigoTM Caches

A Wherigo geocache uses your Wherigo cartridge to lead you ultimately to the physical geocache location. The cartridges must reside at Wherigo.com. If a cartridge is used as a requirement to find a geocache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it may also have a puzzle or multi-cache component.

OK, thanks. A Puzzle it will be then.

That's if you could get it approved at all

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

On a positive note. I just got a Colorado 400t and downloaded my first Wherigo cartridge. The cache was located out in the Folsom area, near Sacramento. I was in the area for the event so I grabbed it right after GWVI.

I have to tell you it was alot of fun. It takes a little more time than a traditional multi-cache, but there is much more to it than just going from mark to mark.

If the cartridge is built properly these can be a ton of fun! :):D:)

Any chance of getting about one year old mystery cache Tomb Cacher (GCYGXD) changed in to Wherigo cache? I Had to change this mystery after another website vital for solving was gone. Best thing I came across with was to make a cartridge from the puzzle . Cartridge is called Tomb Cacher II. Idea of this mystery is still the same as it was before cartridge. Too bad there is about ten of finds in this mystery.

Only change to earlier is that the cartride is now vital for solving this puzzle. It can't be solved without it. This cartridge is emulator friendly so it is for also those that don't have proper devices available to play Wherigo in live. (I don´t have one either) Ofcourse you can do that in live also i suppose, but this would still need some work at home..

Or do I just archive this cache and make a new one (copied) descriptions and all.

...incorporate cache types which the only way to play is to dump more money into another GPS. Sounds pretty depressing,
And those caches where you need a boat? Or you need to know how to repel?
There's a big difference between Wherigo caches and other caches exclusive to owners of special equipment or skills: Wherigo caches have their own icon, so every icon hunter in the area capable of hiding one will hide at least one resulting in a disproportionate number of caches exclusive to cusomers of certain companies only.

There's nothing wrong in allowing listing of caches requiring Wherigo equipment, but encouraging it with a separate cache type icon is a totally different thing. ;)

...incorporate cache types which the only way to play is to dump more money into another GPS. Sounds pretty depressing,
And those caches where you need a boat? Or you need to know how to repel?
There's a big difference between Wherigo caches and other caches exclusive to owners of special equipment or skills: Wherigo caches have their own icon, so every icon hunter in the area capable of hiding one will hide at least one resulting in a disproportionate number of caches exclusive to cusomers of certain companies only.

There's nothing wrong in allowing listing of caches requiring Wherigo equipment, but encouraging it with a separate cache type icon is a totally different thing. ;)

Actually, I'm surprised it's taken this long for a more "interactive" GPS game to come along. The tech has been there for some time now. If you think about it, geocaching itself started out as a sport that was only available to people who had their own "special" and, at the time, somewhat unusual, equipment.

As more features and capabilities are built into the GPS units we use, geocachers will adapt the new abilities to our sport.The Wherigo cache type is just another step in the evolution of our sport. I personally would not be surprised if inside of 5 years out GPS units have cell phone capability built in along with web browsing, digital cameras/video.

Actually, I'm surprised it's taken this long for a more "interactive" GPS game to come along. The tech has been there for some time now. If you think about it, geocaching itself started out as a sport that was only available to people who had their own "special" and, at the time, somewhat unusual, equipment.

As more features and capabilities are built into the GPS units we use, geocachers will adapt the new abilities to our sport.The Wherigo cache type is just another step in the evolution of our sport. I personally would not be surprised if inside of 5 years out GPS units have cell phone capability built in along with web browsing, digital cameras/video.

I'm not really that much into Wherigo, just because it is nowadays so specific device oriented...Still I made Wherigo geocache. I think builder has made "programming" of new kind of caches quite user friendly to even non-programmer to do. Even I made it very simple one in real programmers point of view, it was for me a accomplishment, couldn't have done it in other way . That just is one good thing about it. I just hope that emulator is there for an option in future generation Wherigo softwares also.

I have just noticed that there are quite a lot different new gpsgame sites just started even in May this year. It is good to Groundspeak to be part of this next generation gps gaming. For example I have just collected my first gold in one gpsgame. This site had an beta version of Symbian s60 3rd application that worked very well in my mobile phone. I certainly would like to see for example this kind of player application in Wherigo in near future. Symbian is very popular in Europe and quite many geocachers here aswell. I just hope it doens't take too long to make this...If these virtual gps games are becoming more popular people will try and even start their new hobby the sites that has these functions that work on their devices. Geocaching and gpsgaming is still fun in whatever way you are doing it.

When geocaching started in 2000, the GPS was already a mature technology with lots of different device manufacturers. I owned three GPS receivers when I first heard of geocaching. And a GPS receiver is not even an absolute requirement - you can use any method of your choice to determine coordinates: benchmarks and measuring tape, maps and landmarks, GLONASS etc.

But Wherigo is a closed secret system with very limited set of equipment that can be used. I don't even know personally anyone who owns a Windows CE device (or if I know, they have been too ashamed to admit it). The portable computing here where I live uses almost exclusively either PalmOS or Symbian.

Jen or Jeremy,

Is there any discussion about moving the REI or penguins Wherigo to the geocaching.com for an icon?

I am in Bellevue, WA on work assignment for the next two weeks and would like to log a Wherigo before returning to the East side of Michigan.

There nearest caches from seattle are over 120 miles away!

thanks, Cluemasterz