Wherigo Cache Type

Jeremy

Today we added a new cache type: The Wherigo Cache

The new cache type is a way to help integrate the functionality of Wherigo into Geocaching.com. Since the Wherigo Cache type is a unique type of Multi or Puzzle cache it warranted a new type to differentiate it from other types. Very quickly you can determine whether the type is available for you (depending on whether you have a device that supports it). Obviously our goal is to continue to support more devices so more people can incorporate media rich experiences as part of their cache hunts.

If you create a Wherigo cache you will use the Url field to point to the page of the Wherigo cart on Wherigo.com. Obviously to play a Wherigo experience you will need to download the cartridge from the Wherigo.com web site.

Already there have been several caches created with this type so it's part of the continuing evolution of geocaching. Make sure to check out the update in the guidelines to address this new type.

For more information on Wherigo, visit Wherigo.com

Edited by Jeremy
  • Love 1

Jeremy, for the benefit of the developers of software that use GPX that are in areas where PQs rendering such results are unlikely, can you please reference a GC# that we can use to determine the precise spelling of the cache type and log type fields?

(And thanx for the personal demo of Wherigo several hundred miles away for each of us a few weeks ago.)

Hello Jeremy,

Recently I have created a Wherigo cache (the first in belgium). The reviewer told me to select the mystery/puzzle type. Which I did. Unfortunately now it doesn't seems to be possible to change the type of a cache in the edit page.

Can a solution be found for changing a cache to a Wherigo-type?

Thanks for informing us!

Kind Regards,

Hans

What is the difference between a puzzle/multi/tradition cache and a Wherigo cache? Sorry, but thanks for helping me everyone!

The difference is that to get to a Wherigo cache, you have to play the Wherigo cartridge that is associated with it. Think of it as an interactive multi or puzzle cache.

Recently I have created a Wherigo cache (the first in belgium). The reviewer told me to select the mystery/puzzle type. Which I did. Unfortunately now it doesn't seems to be possible to change the type of a cache in the edit page.

I changed it for you.

Jeremy, for the benefit of the developers of software that use GPX that are in areas where PQs rendering such results are unlikely, can you please reference a GC# that we can use to determine the precise spelling of the cache type and log type fields?

Cache type is "Wherigo Cache" and the log types are no different than a Traditional Cache.

I do apologize for not giving developers more time for this cache type.

Man, I wish I could play :) .

I guess I'm confused here... we have both Wherigo cartridges, and Wherigo caches? Do all cartridges end in a physical cache, or is that only a requirement for cross-listed ones?

You aren't confused. You have it completely right! Cross-listing on Geocaching.com requires a cache as part of the experience, like a multi or puzzle cache.

Could we have the guide lines for a Wherigo cache? Like I know you have answered me before that there is no distance problems to other caches so long as just the physcial container is the usual .10 of a mile away.

For example getting some info off a plauqe to proceed to the next stage but there's a micro hidden under the bench 50 feet away. Is ok. But having the final and physical container 50 feet away from another cache is a no-no.

A basic guideline page might be a bit helpful to get people started.

Could we have the guide lines for a Wherigo cache? Like I know you have answered me before that there is no distance problems to other caches so long as just the physcial container is the usual .10 of a mile away.

For example getting some info off a plauqe to proceed to the next stage but there's a micro hidden under the bench 50 feet away. Is ok. But having the final and physical container 50 feet away from another cache is a no-no.

A basic guideline page might be a bit helpful to get people started.

Whoops never mind I just found it. You guys are really on the ball. A big thumbs up. Thanks for the new icon too.

Is it me, or does this seem an awful lot like a podcache, which is something that was banned a while back?

Why is this something that is allowed? (downloading of software to find a cache...)

Any caches that deviate from the 'standard' can be approved by TPTB. They just happened to approve these en masse.

Does this mean podcaches may come back?

I doubt that they would be back in the way that you meen, but you could use the Wherigo builder to create a cache that is very similar to a podcache.

!!!! This makes me so happy! I was so close to buying a regular GPSr instead of getting a Bluetooth GPS for my Axim x51v (Pocket PC) Now that we have something that makes use of our PDA's. I'm sure those of us in the PDA Geocaching community will be much happier. Thanks for a new adventure.

Gee, lets take away cache types of the past lke virtual caches and incorporate cache types which the only way to play is to dump more money into another GPS. Sounds pretty depressing, Why not name it the elitest cache type. :o:P
You don't have to dump any more money into anything. You can have a partner run the emulator on a PC and guide you over your cell phone. It's not like these caches are going to spring up all over the place like LPCs. I imagine that they will be rarer than multis. Anyhow, if you find that you really enjoy it then you can invest in a Pocket PC and that is as simple as upgrading your cell phone next time it's due. :o

It's not like these caches are going to spring up all over the place like LPCs. I imagine that they will be rarer than multis.

I wouldn't worry about Wherigo sprawl. As it stands now, it's definitely a chore to put one together, MUCH more so than any cache. The Builder is helpful to a point, but to be creative with it to any degree requires a certain comprehension of computer programming, and a tolerance of repetition 'ad nauseum' of the same, that I think most cachers would rather avoid.

Lets take away cache types of the past lke virtual caches and incorporate cache types which the only way to play is to dump more money into another GPS. Sounds pretty depressing, Why not name it the elitist cache type.

Just think what non-geocachers think. To play the game I have to dump money into a GPS unit? Elitists!!

And those caches where you need a boat? Or you need to know how to repel? What about the homeless...they never get to geocache.....

Looking forward to other threads about geocaching disparities. :o

Is it me, or does this seem an awful lot like a podcache, which is something that was banned a while back?

Why is this something that is allowed? (downloading of software to find a cache...)

Off topic, but I wanted to note that you're mistaken, or reacting to outdated information, so that nobody is confused by your post.

Um, a thought just struck me.

It used to be that one could select the "Unknown cache" category regardless of the type of cache it really was. A traditional cache could actually be categorized as an unknown if one choose to do so. The idea was "I don't want to tell you what kind of kind it is." However, I'm getting the impression from a statement made above that this option will no longer be available. Is this true?

Next question: About the listing guideline...

A Wherigo geocache uses your Wherigo cartridge to lead you ultimately to the physical geocache location.
Does the bold part mean the cartridge must end at the final location? Could it end at an offset location where you find the coordinates to the final? The reasoning being if the physical final needs to be moved for whatever reason then either a new cartridge needs to be created or the offset can simply be changed. Or a cartridge may lead someone to a physical treasure map or puzzle sheet to follow. Clarification, please.

Thanks.

Off topic, but I wanted to note that you're mistaken, or reacting to outdated information, so that nobody is confused by your post.

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, and not trying to be off-topic, but my understanding for why podcaches were banned was that you weren't allowed to have anything for the player to download and run on a device on a webpage. Isn't this what this is?

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, and not trying to be off-topic, but my understanding for why podcaches were banned was that you weren't allowed to have anything for the player to download and run on a device on a webpage. Isn't this what this is?

Yes, but Groundspeak is confident that all the Wherigo files are harmless to your computer. :blink:

Edited by sTeamTraen

Haffy and AK,

We've created a forum just for the discussions and support regarding the various hardware that can run Wherigo Player. It can be found here:

Groundpseak Forums > Wherigo Topics > Wherigo Hardware

Actually nothing in that forum answered my question at all. I found a lot of things about which PDAs the Wherigo software will and won't work on (no MAC support) but nothing about running it from a laptop. Connected to a USB garmin or otherwise.

AK

The Wherigo cache type magically appeared on http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx , but still no references of the APE caches. Please???

Project APE caches were a promotional tie-in with the release of the 2001 "Planet of the Apes" remake. Currently there are only 2 of the original 14 APE Caches still active (1 in Brazil and 1 in Washington State). As there will never be another, Groundspeak probably sees no purpose in expounding on the APE cache type.

Markwell has a great page up about the history of the Project APE Caches.

Reminds me... I need to get myself to Washington!

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache
Yes, but Groundspeak is confident that all the Wherigo files are harmless to your computer. :laughing:
Yeah, everyone knows the .mp3s are out to get you, but Wherigo cartridges are magically innocent! Signal approves each one by hand.

Each Cartridge is compiled by Groundspeak's servers and hosted on Wherigo.com. Files you download on other web sites are downloaded from other web sites and not hosted on any Groundspeak site. Perhaps in the future we will allow mp3 uploads on Groundspeak's web servers. When that happens we can allow "podcache" types.

Um, a thought just struck me.

It used to be that one could select the "Unknown cache" category regardless of the type of cache it really was. A traditional cache could actually be categorized as an unknown if one choose to do so. The idea was "I don't want to tell you what kind of kind it is." However, I'm getting the impression from a statement made above that this option will no longer be available. Is this true?

If a cartridge is used as a requirement to find a geocache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it may also have a puzzle or multi-cache component.

Next question: About the listing guideline...
A Wherigo geocache uses your Wherigo cartridge to lead you ultimately to the physical geocache location.
Does the bold part mean the cartridge must end at the final location? Could it end at an offset location where you find the coordinates to the final? The reasoning being if the physical final needs to be moved for whatever reason then either a new cartridge needs to be created or the offset can simply be changed. Or a cartridge may lead someone to a physical treasure map or puzzle sheet to follow. Clarification, please.

Thanks.

I think that the cartridge does not need to lead to the final location, but the cartridge has to be necessary to ultimately finding the final. (So, the cartridge contents are not simply interesting; they are necessary.) You could do an offset, as you suggested. All physical stages will need to be listed as an Additional Waypoint, hidden or not, depending on the way the cache owner has it set up.
If a cartridge is used as a requirement to find a geocache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it may also have a puzzle or multi-cache component.

Thanks for the reply. However, just for further clarification, if a cache uses a cartridge as a requirement to complete the hunt it is considered a Wherigo cache. Does it have to be listed as a Wherigo cache? Are we breaking the paradigm of any cache can be listed as an unknown cache if one chose?

Thanks.

Actually nothing in that forum answered my question at all. I found a lot of things about which PDAs the Wherigo software will and won't work on (no MAC support) but nothing about running it from a laptop. Connected to a USB garmin or otherwise.

As far as I have heard, a player is not available for laptops. However, the builder application comes equipped with an emulator. You can use the emulator to play a cartridge at home. It's by no means as fun as being out in the field, but at least you can try out various cartridges with it.

Thanks for the reply. However, just for further clarification, if a cache uses a cartridge as a requirement to complete the hunt it is considered a Wherigo cache. Does it have to be listed as a Wherigo cache? Are we breaking the paradigm of any cache can be listed as an unknown cache if one chose?

For the cache to have the Wherigo icon, the cartridge must be hosted on Wherigo.com. This is per the Listing requirement/guidelines. The unknown cache type is a catch-all; if the cache doesn't fall into another category, it is an unknown cache. We now have a cache type for Wherigo caches, so the unknown type is not needed for this type of hide.

I highlighted the keyword there. If you have to play the Wherigo cartridge to find the cache, it should be listed as a Wherigo cache. If the cartridge is optional, and just makes the cache more fun, for example, then you should list it as some other type.

I'm sure there could be a valid argument to list it as Unknown but why would you want to? Those that have a Wherigo player are going to look for Wherigo caches. If you list it as Unknown, it would be lost in the sea of puzzles and those with a Wherigo player will probably never see it. Conversely, if it's listed as Unknown, the puzzle solvers will look at it and ignore it because they don't have a player. So I think it's in your best interest to list it properly.