Now that Garmin rolled a software update...

tgfoyl1472

Hi,

I know it has been asked before and beaten to death, I am asking this question once again just because my money comes after a lot of work and a lot of time saving so I want to make sure I purchase the right GPS that would last me quite a while.

I am undecided between the 60Csx, the Colorado 300 and the 400t. I should probably point out that I don't Geocache (at least not yet). I mostly needed it for setting in my instrument tray on a paraglider to monitor where I am and to see the Altimeter page with two fields relating the Glide Ratio and the Glide Ratio to Destination.

I will like to use the GPS to also do auto-routing, since I don't own a car unit and I don't have enough money to purchase two units :lol: . I have heard that if I were to purchase a Colorado I should get the 300 and buy the Topo Map separate so I can have it on my computer. Any truth to that? Is the 60Csx still a good value now that some bugs have been fixed on the Colorados? What about the screen issue (or lack thereof)...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

You may find the total cost of buying a Colorado 400 (or 300 + Topo maps on DVD) + City Navigator on DVD to be higher than the Colorado with Topo + a small nüvi with the City Navigator maps pre-loaded.

You'll not get the CN maps in your computer that way, but you get a better car navigator than the Colorado.

You can exchange the Colorado for a 60 CSx i the paragraph above; it still has the same validity.

You may find the total cost of buying a Colorado 400 (or 300 + Topo maps on DVD) + City Navigator on DVD to be higher than the Colorado with Topo + a small nüvi with the City Navigator maps pre-loaded.

You'll not get the CN maps in your computer that way, but you get a better car navigator than the Colorado.

You can exchange the Colorado for a 60 CSx i the paragraph above; it still has the same validity.

1) Entering data into the Colorado or 60CSx when typing in addresses or spelling search commands is a PITA compared to a Nuvi. The Nuvi has a touch screen while the handhelds require scrolling to enter characters.

2) The handhelds DO NOT call out turn commands. They beep. While that's okay for the occasional usage, or chasing caches as I do, I would not recommend it for dedicated usage. 90% of the time when I'm using my car GPS I only listen to the turn commands (especially useful with text-to-speech road names) because I don't like taking my eyes off the road. The handhelds REQUIRE you look at the screen for the next turn.

I would second purchasing an inexpensive Nuvi for your automotive use, and depending on other desired features, the 60CSx for your paragliding usage. The Colorado has a higher resolution screen and IS faster for routing than a 60CSx if you insist on using it for your car navigation--in fact, I think it's faster than my car GPS (a C550)!

That is a good point. I currently have a 60CSx loaded with City Nav, and Topo 2008. I use it as a car navigator and on the trail. I have seriously considered upgrading to a Colorado 300, primarily for the visuals on the map. I would probably spend $400 for the CO, another $120 for City Nav, and $30 or so for mount and cable. Hmmmmm For $550 I could get a really nice Nuvi with voice prompts, and other bells and whistles, and still have the 60CSx for trail use. Something to consider.

Hi,

I know it has been asked before and beaten to death, I am asking this question once again just because my money comes after a lot of work and a lot of time saving so I want to make sure I purchase the right GPS that would last me quite a while.

I am undecided between the 60Csx, the Colorado 300 and the 400t. I should probably point out that I don't Geocache (at least not yet). I mostly needed it for setting in my instrument tray on a paraglider to monitor where I am and to see the Altimeter page with two fields relating the Glide Ratio and the Glide Ratio to Destination.

I will like to use the GPS to also do auto-routing, since I don't own a car unit and I don't have enough money to purchase two units :o . I have heard that if I were to purchase a Colorado I should get the 300 and buy the Topo Map separate so I can have it on my computer. Any truth to that? Is the 60Csx still a good value now that some bugs have been fixed on the Colorados? What about the screen issue (or lack thereof)...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

What new update software for 60csx ?

ALL I WANT IS SIRFINSTATFIXII!

"What new update software for 60csx ?

ALL I WANT IS SIRFINSTATFIXII"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have clarified, I was referring to the update offered for the Colorados. I was wondering now that the Colorados are becoming less "buggy" whether the divide between the "robust" 60Csx and the Colorado somewhat "new and buggy" software is becoming less of an issue.

Edited by tgfoyl1472