Ways to creat cache routes without #@%$ Google Earth

Puppy Dawg

A cacher on our local boards gave us this really neat trick using Google Maps:

There is a trick you can use to automate this, but it's a little clumsy.

The interesting part is that Google MAPS (not Google Earth) will let you modify the route interactively. If you generate directions in maps.google.com , you can then left-click anywhere on the route and drag that point somewhere else to modify the route. For example, just drag your Torreya route off of I-10 and onto Blountstown highway!

The clumsy part is exporting the modified route as a KML file from Google MAPS. If you look at the top right of the map, you'll see a link called [Link to this Page]. The trick is

* Left-click on [Link to this Page]

* copy the text with the URL in the first field (called "Paste link in email or IM) with "Cntl-C"

* paste that text somewhere (probably in a new browser window)

* add the following to the end of the text: &output=kml

* open a link to that new URL (with the &output=kml at the end of the address) and you should get options about either opening it with Google Earth, or saving it on your computer. From there, proceed to use the KML file of the modified route in the usual way to make a "Caches on a Route" query.

Some arc file building resources (and hints on how to set up Pocket Queries along a route too)

Using Streets & Trips to Generate Routes For Geocaching

Markwell's Route Planning: Waypoints Along a Route

Geocaching and Route Planning

Golden Horseshoe Geocachers - ARC Builder

Instructions for selecting caches along a route by selecting waypoints on the map in Mapsource.

**** Routing In Google Earth

To do this in Google Earth break your route up into segments to follow the path you want and save each segment as a separate KML with a unique name. Keep track of the sequence of files because the data needs to be kept in order from the start of your route to the end (A to B, B to C, C to D, etc.)

The KML files files are in plain text and can be edited with simple text editors like Notepad or Wordpad. You'll notice that each file consists of a header with a few lines of information, then a long list of coordinates for the route then a footer.

Open the file for the first segment of your route and save it under a new name (for example MyRoute.kml). Open the file for the second segment of your route and copy the coordinates between the <coordinates> and </coordinates> tags. Paste this data into the MyRoute.kml file after the existing coordinates and before the </coordinates> tag. Repeat for as many segments/files as you have being sure to save the MyRoute.kml file once it is complete.

Upload this KML file into the "Caches along a Route" and you're done.

Using Google Earth to Generate Routes For Geocaching

So, the page reads 'upload GPX/KML', but it only says how to create the route with Google Earth. When I run Google Earth, the whole PC shuts down! :o What other ways are there???

I've never used Google Earth, I use Garmin's Mapsource for the routes.

I click on 'create new route,' but can't figure out what to do next. What?

The tip suggested by GeoBain seems to require opening the Google Maps .kml in Google Earth and resaving it as another .kml before the file will be recognized by Caching Along a Route. (At least for me, after I clicked "Upload" using a .kml file saved directly from Google Maps, the Geocaching.com site would reload, but no files would have been uploaded; the column under Route Name remained blank)

In order to avoid using Google Earth completely, pairadice mentioned the following workaround for creating a .gpx file directly from Google Maps to upload to Caching Along a Route. It does not require any programs at all, but it does require the use of a third-party java script.

goto the following page and about half way down is a box/link for gmaptogpx. right click and bookmark this link.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

once you have your route created in google maps, click the link. it creates a text file that you then copy and paste into a notepad file. save it as "routename".gpx and then you can upload it as a gpx file into geocaching.com for caches along a route.

Original post

It worked great for me.

The GSAK website now provides a quick, easy, and free way to do this.

No software install (not even GSAK) is required, but of course you do need a browser and Internet connection.

Just select the "line" option to start drawing your route. When finished, just mouse click again on your last point to finish drawing. Select the "GPX" output format which is compatible with the Groundspeak "Caches along a route" PQ

The mapping utility can be found here http://gsak.net/google/polygoneditor.html

Have you looked to see which routes are already available? I rarely use this feature, but the few times I did I was able to fairly quickly find that the routes I was taking had already been generated and saved by other people. Maybe not the precise starting and end points, but close enough. And on one trip from Chattanooga to Louisville, KY, I had to use 2 routes: Chattanooga to Nashville, then Nashville to Louisville.

Use the "Path" feature:

There is a very easy was to create a route using the free version of Google Earth. Instead of using driving directions, you want to create your own "path." Zoom to the area you want. In the menu at the top, click: Add, then Path. Keep adding points to your path until you reach the end. You do not have to follow roads. it can be any direction or shape.

When you are done, name your "path" click OK. You will see the path listed on the left under your Places. Right click on the path name, and save as a .KML file. This whole process start to finish only takes seconds. In the Pocket Query area of this site, import this file, do your filtering and create your PQ.

A cacher on our local boards gave us this really neat trick using Google Maps:

There is a trick you can use to automate this, but it's a little clumsy.

The interesting part is that Google MAPS (not Google Earth) will let you modify the route interactively. If you generate directions in maps.google.com , you can then left-click anywhere on the route and drag that point somewhere else to modify the route. For example, just drag your Torreya route off of I-10 and onto Blountstown highway!

The clumsy part is exporting the modified route as a KML file from Google MAPS. If you look at the top right of the map, you'll see a link called [Link to this Page]. The trick is

* Left-click on [Link to this Page]

* copy the text with the URL in the first field (called "Paste link in email or IM) with "Cntl-C"

* paste that text somewhere (probably in a new browser window)

* add the following to the end of the text: &output=kml

* open a link to that new URL (with the &output=kml at the end of the address) and you should get options about either opening it with Google Earth, or saving it on your computer. From there, proceed to use the KML file of the modified route in the usual way to make a "Caches on a Route" query.

Thank you so much for posting this. I've been looking for a way to use Google Maps (not Earth) for some time.

The GSAK website now provides a quick, easy, and free way to do this.

No software install (not even GSAK) is required, but of course you do need a browser and Internet connection.

Just select the "line" option to start drawing your route. When finished, just mouse click again on your last point to finish drawing. Select the "GPX" output format which is compatible with the Groundspeak "Caches along a route" PQ

The mapping utility can be found here http://gsak.net/google/polygoneditor.html

THIS IS FANTASTIC!

It can hardly get easier than this. The only confusing point (well, to me at least) is exactly HOW you SAVE the GPX file that the utility creates. The utility doesn't do it for you. What you need to do is simply copy the text in the box, then PASTE it to your text editor (notepad works fine) as a GPX file.

Hope this helps those of you who are as computer-challenged as I am.