Can't Mark a Geocache as Found anymore

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. I love it! I was running an older version of the Topo Maps and I was able to use the GOTO button to navigate to a geocache and it would give me the option to mark it as found and then show me how far it was to the next nearest one. However, I recently got TOPO 2008 and now it just calculates a route to the cache on the map page and gives me no option of selecting whether I ever found the cache or not. Is this feature just not available when using the newer updated maps?

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX. I love it! I was running an older version of the Topo Maps and I was able to use the GOTO button to navigate to a geocache and it would give me the option to mark it as found and then show me how far it was to the next nearest one. However, I recently got TOPO 2008 and now it just calculates a route to the cache on the map page and gives me no option of selecting whether I ever found the cache or not. Is this feature just not available when using the newer updated maps?

You may of changed the icons associated with a geocache. Reset them to what they show now for a cache and you should be ok.

Edited by O-Mega

I don't have Topo 2008, but from what I've heard it shouldn't cause any problems. After you select a cache on the map and press GOTO, you should select Off Road. You may then have to page forward to the "Active Route" which will give you a compass type display with the arrow pointing to the cache (if you don't select "off road" I don't think this page will be displayed). This is the page with the options to "find", "note", or "stop" at the bottom. You can check to make sure this page is till in your page sequence by pressing menu twice (this takes you to the main menu) and then selecting "Setup". Next select "Page Seq" and see if "Active Route" is there. If not you can add the page on that screen.

These are just some ideas. I'm sure you already know most of that stuff, but maybe it will spark something that will help.

Have you checked to see that you are navigating "Off Road" to the geocache? If your default has changed to "Follow Road", the geocache mode on the compass page does not appear. I have a 76CSx and when new, it took a call to Garmin to figure this out because the manual said nothing about it. 60CSx and 76CSx are supposed to be the same in the operational sense. I don't have Topo 2008 yet, but it should arrive in a few days.

I have mine set to "Prompted" (Main Menu>Setup>Routing>Guidance Method) If this is set to "Follow Road" you will not get geocache mode on the compass page. Since I use City Navigator as well, the "Prompted" setting allows me to choose the method when I tell it to Go To. Follow Road gives me a turn-by-turn to get close to the cache and then, when I'm close, I recalculate Off Road for the find.

Hope this helps.

George

Sorry if this is now redundant...

Edited by geokitebuggy

Has anyone asked Garmin WHY these things disappear from the geocache compass page when you use "on road?" This makes no sense. There's no reason why at least the FOUND and NOTE options shouldn't be displayed.

I'm 20 miles from the cache I want to find. I select "on road" so I can bloody GET there. Then, when I get close, I have to go and find/select the cache all over again and then select "off road" so that I can easily mark it as found.

This is completely retarded!

-Pacific