South Dakota "Official Geocoin" Is one in the works?

Cog&Gil

I think, the only state not to have made an "official" geocoin. I'd surely like to fill that hole on my state geocoin display board!

What a coincidence, that very subject was just discussed at our last geo event meeting last month. I currently just designed the Black Hills Geocachers of western SD logo for our new Tshirts, and am also in the works on the Tshirt design for the Black Hills Geo Bash II, to be held in Custer State Park June 12-15. Here's the link for that event. We are hoping to get with the club from eastern SD to put together some ideas when they arrive for the bash. I already have several concept ideas for the SD coin and hopefully we can get this moving soon with the help of both clubs. :unsure:

I tried repeatedly to get a SD geocoin made starting over 18 months ago but got no where. I also asked the Black Hills group for input but no repsonse was given.

The "club" on this side is only an email group of cachers. An official organization was tried for but never materialized.

'Course the biggest problem is I'm probably the only geocoin nut in the state. :) Much as I wanted to put out a coin, doing it on my own just did not seem right, never mind the expense. If plans are to put out a state coin it needs input from active cachers across the state otherwise it would only represent a group or be an area coin.

There is the potential for something else going on behind the scenes so I will contact you Jedi Cacher and we can chat, if you are game

Last state to place a cache. Of course it must be last to have a coin. <_<

Also.... what qualifies as an "Official Organization"? Do we need to publish membership cards?!

-DakotaCache

An official organization? That would have elections, officers, bylaws, a website, members working together all the time, all for the benefit of the community, not just for their own smiley count.

We were close to maybe being official Dorin. We'd been moving in that direction for the last couple of years. We had that meeting last fall setting out plans to move forward with hopes to get the community more involved. Then a few from that meeting immediately broke off to do their own thing, with personal agendas clear. Not only did they break off, they completely ignored what was talked about in the meeting. Is that a Geocaching organization?

Going around Groundspeak's rules, while they were watching, and thinking its ok to not only do that but to teach the local community that its ok to do that. Is that a Geocaching organization?

Not understanding Geocoin collectors and laughing at them because of their desire to collect Geocoins, then in less than 5 months of that being close to having a final Geocoin representing South Dakota. Is that an organization?

In the design of the coin, did your "organization" talk to the Black Hills group? Did your "organization" talk to the folks up north? How about the cachers who live half way between the two areas and have been all over this state with the highest number of cache finds in SD? Talk to them? Some of them might have ideas & input. Even if none of them wanted to get involved, overtures should have been made.

Is this the organization that is going to represent itself as having made the official SD coin? I don’t know. You tell me.

Also.... what qualifies as an "Official Organization"? Do we need to publish membership cards?!

-DakotaCache

An official organization? That would have elections, officers, bylaws, a website, members working together all the time, all for the benefit of the community, not just for their own smiley count.

We were close to maybe being official Dorin. We'd been moving in that direction for the last couple of years. We had that meeting last fall setting out plans to move forward with hopes to get the community more involved. Then a few from that meeting immediately broke off to do their own thing, with personal agendas clear. Not only did they break off, they completely ignored what was talked about in the meeting. Is that a Geocaching organization?

Going around Groundspeak's rules, while they were watching, and thinking its ok to not only do that but to teach the local community that its ok to do that. Is that a Geocaching organization?

Not understanding Geocoin collectors and laughing at them because of their desire to collect Geocoins, then in less than 5 months of that being close to having a final Geocoin representing South Dakota. Is that an organization?

In the design of the coin, did your "organization" talk to the Black Hills group? Did your "organization" talk to the folks up north? How about the cachers who live half way between the two areas and have been all over this state with the highest number of cache finds in SD? Talk to them? Some of them might have ideas & input. Even if none of them wanted to get involved, overtures should have been made.

Is this the organization that is going to represent itself as having made the official SD coin? I don’t know. You tell me.

Well, I guess we've struck a nerve here.

Obviously much of the previous post was off-topic and I appologize for it. I guess I got what was coming to me.

To put everyone in the loop, there are a number of cachers (from all over the state) colaborating on an "Official SD Coin". For the those of you out waiting for it to become available, please stand by.... we're working on it.

-Dakotacache

Michele,

Just because everyone does not agree with your ideas, now we're going against the community. The meeting last fall was, in my opinion along with others, was to set out plans for what you wanted. Those of us who disagreed had our own ideas and went forward with them.

I personally don't think this area is ready for an "Official Orginazation", if that means we need to have elections, officers, bylaws and a website. This would also mean "dues" would need to be collected and I believe that alone would scare people off. Why should someone have to pay to be a member of a group doing something they can do for free. Maybe some day that will happen.

This has nothing to do with "Not understanding Geocoin collectors" , and no one is laughing at those who choose to collect Geocoins. For those who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great. As, for the majority of us who choose to find Geocaches, that is what it is about for us. Geocoins are great, but not our main focus. Geocaching is the main focus of most, Geocoins, like Travel Bugs are a VERY SMALL part of of the game. For someone who considers herself "an avid cacher" I would disagree. Being in the same area, I have found more than your total number of finds for two years in each of the last two years. For those of you who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great if that is what you choose to do. However, I believe I am in the majority when I say I would rather go out and Find geocaches. I will discover Travel Bugs and Geocoins at events and if I find them in a cache, but DO NOT choose to collect them.

Edited by Geoboss

Michele,

Just because everyone does not agree with your ideas, now we're going against the community. The meeting last fall was, in my opinion along with others, was to set out plans for what you wanted. Those of us who disagreed had our own ideas and went forward with them. This community had a "trouble maker" for a while and we got rid of him. Now it seems by many that we have another. You guess who that would be.

You are way off base here and that kind of comment is a personal attack and threat. Tsk, tsk.

So you came to the meeting, lied to us and went off on your merry way with your own plans. Kudos to you. Typical of people with their own agenda. Darn, they never hear anything of what's being said. :D

I personally don't think this area is ready for an "Official Orginazation", if that means we need to have elections, officers, bylaws and a website. This would also mean "dues" would need to be collected and I believe that alone would scare people off. Why should someone have to pay to be a member of a group doing something they can do for free. maybe some day that will happen. maybe that would be the only way to keep people like you "out".

You've been saying no organization here since day one Scott. You imposed your will and got your way. Again, kudos. And out of curiosity, why do you think dues would have to be paid? Who said anything about collecting funds? Start small and grow. That was the intent of that meeting but you already had your own plan long before that. We got blindsided. Well done!

This has nothing to do with "Not understanding Geocoin collectors" , and no one is laughing at those who choose to collect Geocoins. For those who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great. As, for the majority of us who choose to find Geocaches, that is what it is about for us. Geocoins are great, but not our main focus. Geocaching is the main focus of most, Geocoins, like Travel Bugs are a VERY SMALL part of of the game. For someone who considers herself "an avid cacher" I would disagree. Being in the same area, I have found more than your total number of finds for two years in each of the last two years. For those of you who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great if that is what you choose to do. However, I believe I am in the majority when I say I would rather go out and Find geocaches. I will discover Travel Bugs and Geocoins at events and if I find them in a cache, but DO NOT choose to collect them.

You completely lost me here. Seems you are attacking me, or anyone for that matter, who collects Geocoins. Not sure what your greater cache finds has to do with anything. Play the game your way but don't tell someone the way they play is wrong or inflict your will on others. You are supposed to play nice in the sandbox.

I'm thrilled to hear we are working with everyone all over the state on a Geocoin. 'Course that's not teh buzz I heard but hey. More power to them. :D

No more :D & :laughing: To save everyone the hassle I'm reporting this thread for being OT.

Sorry C&G. Seems like one day, maybe, there will be a SD coin. And that answers that question. ;)

Oh, and Scott, take a chill pill. You are wound up way too tight dude. You take this game way too seriously. ;):D:D

maybe some day that will happen. maybe that would be the only way to keep people like you "out".

Maybe you should keep the personal attacks to yourself or at the very least out of the forums. You have a total of 12 posts here and managed to attack someone already.

This has nothing to do with "Not understanding Geocoin collectors" , and no one is laughing at those who choose to collect Geocoins. For those who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great. As, for the majority of us who choose to find Geocaches, that is what it is about for us.

Are you saying those of us who collect aren't cachers? While I agree some people don't bother to cache anymore, I think labeling and entire group is a pretty bold statement and you couldn't be more wrong. Once again maybe you should spend some time here before making those statemments.

Geocoins are great, but not our main focus. Geocaching is the main focus of most, Geocoins, like Travel Bugs are a VERY SMALL part of of the game.

Wrong again. GeoCoins and the amount of money that passes through with them is in the millions of dollars. Now maybe you are a multimillionaire and we just aren't aware of the amount of pocket change you carry, but to me that isn't little by any means.

For someone who considers herself "an avid cacher" I would disagree. Being in the same area, I have found more than your total number of finds for two years in each of the last two years. For those of you who choose to collect Geocoins, that is great if that is what you choose to do. However, I believe I am in the majority when I say I would rather go out and Find geocaches. I will discover Travel Bugs and Geocoins at events and if I find them in a cache, but DO NOT choose to collect them.

Spoken like a true Micro Spew Olympian. You have about 3 times the amount of finds that I have. Way to go. I am not sure which award you are in the running for but good luck. I can't tell if you are winning or not since last time I checked geocaching wasn't meant to be competitive or a competition. I guess me hovering around 500 (which I have to check since I could care less about what number I am at) makes me just a beginer or an amatuer? If kissing every light post and guardrail is what it takes to become a professional like yourself, then I sir will pass on that. Maybe this is where you made your millions to look down on us collectors of shiney things?

Justa little help your ya. It is usually a better policy of coming here with (A) a known cacher from your area representing the state to help develop and sell the coin. We as a community have been burnt before and are much more open to trusting someone who we know is going to be here well after the coin has come and gone and (:laughing: respect the community. Coming in here blasting away at what we choose to do isn't the best sales technique. We have seen this before and there are several people I will not buy from because I have lost respect for them. You sir have been added to this list. Maybe in the future you can actually learn about what it is you are going to be selling and who you are selling it to before talkign down to us. Just my opinion, but I am sure you won't agree so flame on.

OK folks, I know that there have been some disagreements in the Dakotas. There also appear to be some issues with developing a coin. You are more than free to discuss issues here and to disagree with one another, but only within the forum guidelines. Those guidelines include treating each other in a respectful manner. Personal attacks will not tolerated. Please carry on your discussion without the name calling. Thanks.

Edit: Please also keep this thread on-topic: A disscussion of whether an SD coin is being developed and/or a collaboration on how to get one developed.

Edited by Electric Mouse

I apologize if I offended those who collect geocoins, that was not my intent. I was simply trying to say, some of us like to spend more time out on the trails, not that those who collect do not. Everyone has their own preferances as to how they spend their time and money. I love to see Geocoins and discover them, however I choose not to "collect" them. I do have several coins and if I see one, or several I want to buy, I may or may not. I'm sure that is how most Geocoin collectors got started also, one here, two there and so on.

I think, the only state not to have made an "official" geocoin. I'd surely like to fill that hole on my state geocoin display board!

Ok, so what would make a coin "Official"?

I have seen many different Minnesota coins, but are they "Official"?

I agree that a "state coin" should have input from active cachers across the state. The problem, is that there are only a small number of people from the state who are interested in having a coin made. There are several good ideas floating around and financing is the biggest obsticle at this point.

Anyone can have a "coin" made with anything on it. I have seen some VERY COOL coins and some coins that are not so much. All personal preference. Geocoin collecting is no different than collecting anything else (stamps, rocks, dolls, etc.). The amount of money spent on such things is totally up to the person(s) doing the collecting. If at some time a collection is sold, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, whether it be the entire collection or each piece individually. This could be substantially less that the "cost" of the collection.

-Geoboss

Edited by Geoboss

You have one of the best resources at your disposal in GPX. She is well respected in the Coin Forums, is well known, knows the in and outs of getting a coin done, and would be the perfect fit to lead your project. Why make things harder on yourselves by stumbling through the process the whole way. I don't understand why you guys are overlooking her, unless it's a guy thing or something.

Oh and just cause we collect coins doesn't mean we don't prefer trails. Coin collectors are just better at multitasking I guess. <_<

Ok, so what would make a coin "Official"?

I have seen many different Minnesota coins, but are they "Official"?

I agree that a "state coin" should have input from active cachers across the state. The problem, is that there are only a small number of people from the state who are interested in having a coin made. There are several good ideas floating around and financing is the biggest obsticle at this point.

-Geoboss

Why is financing such an issue? If you would welcome help from the dreaded coin collectors, you might find that to be a breeze. Some coin stores might just take that project on for you, and help you along the way. West Virginia just had theirs made for them. Or, you could pay the minimal fee for dies to be cut, show off your coin samples, then take in the money to fund the actual minting. There are several ways to get the funds necessary to make this coin.

I for one know that I inventoried my state row last week, and South Dakota is the only state without a coin. I'm looking forward to seeing one come about. Hopefully everyone can bury the hatchet long enough to make something your state can be proud of.

TMA

P.S. Yes, as one of the coin collectors, who occasionally caches, I would also be willing to lend knowledge to this cause. I don't want you to think I'm just spewing off at the mouth . . . <_<

Gotta come over here and sing the praises of GPX, like a couple others said, she hangs in the coin forum and has a few designs under her belt. I hope you'll all consider her thoughts and opinions on the SD coin. You'll likely have a larger customer base if she's involved also because she is so involved in the forum. I'd be more likely to support something that a fellow coiner had a hand in than something from a person(s) who just shows up and tries to sell a coin without having ever been involved in the geocoin forum at all. Having an active coiner on your 'team' will pay off spades in the long run ;)

Gotta come over here and sing the praises of GPX, like a couple others said, she hangs in the coin forum and has a few designs under her belt. I hope you'll all consider her thoughts and opinions on the SD coin. You'll likely have a larger customer base if she's involved also because she is so involved in the forum. I'd be more likely to support something that a fellow coiner had a hand in than something from a person(s) who just shows up and tries to sell a coin without having ever been involved in the geocoin forum at all. Having an active coiner on your 'team' will pay off spades in the long run ;)

I agree. GPX also has been around long enough to be able to tell if a design will sell or not.

I am honest when I say that GPX Navigators would be a great asset to a South Dakota geocoin in all areas. As a coin designer and minter myself I am honest when I say that Michele is one of a very small amount of people who I feel comfortable in asking for advice. Not only is she is a very well respected person in the coin community but she has a great eye for what people will like. I value her opinion greatly.

With new coins being offered for sale on a daily basis, it can be quite difficult for a coin to sell. It takes a well designed coin along with a well minted coin to sell in the geocoin world. There are many aspects to consider when designing, minting and selling a coin. It can be a very daunting and overwhelming experience. I think Michele could help make the process a whole lot easier & also help make a South Dakota coin one of the best state coins out there :rolleyes:

You have one of the best resources at your disposal in GPX. She is well respected in the Coin Forums, is well known, knows the in and outs of getting a coin done, and would be the perfect fit to lead your project. Why make things harder on yourselves by stumbling through the process the whole way. I don't understand why you guys are overlooking her, unless it's a guy thing or something.

Oh and just cause we collect coins doesn't mean we don't prefer trails. Coin collectors are just better at multitasking I guess. :(

Gotta come over here and sing the praises of GPX, like a couple others said, she hangs in the coin forum and has a few designs under her belt. I hope you'll all consider her thoughts and opinions on the SD coin. You'll likely have a larger customer base if she's involved also because she is so involved in the forum. I'd be more likely to support something that a fellow coiner had a hand in than something from a person(s) who just shows up and tries to sell a coin without having ever been involved in the geocoin forum at all. Having an active coiner on your 'team' will pay off spades in the long run :rolleyes:

Gotta come over here and sing the praises of GPX, like a couple others said, she hangs in the coin forum and has a few designs under her belt. I hope you'll all consider her thoughts and opinions on the SD coin. You'll likely have a larger customer base if she's involved also because she is so involved in the forum. I'd be more likely to support something that a fellow coiner had a hand in than something from a person(s) who just shows up and tries to sell a coin without having ever been involved in the geocoin forum at all. Having an active coiner on your 'team' will pay off spades in the long run <_<

I agree. GPX also has been around long enough to be able to tell if a design will sell or not.

I am honest when I say that GPX Navigators would be a great asset to a South Dakota geocoin in all areas. As a coin designer and minter myself I am honest when I say that Michele is one of a very small amount of people who I feel comfortable in asking for advice. Not only is she is a very well respected person in the coin community but she has a great eye for what people will like. I value her opinion greatly.

With new coins being offered for sale on a daily basis, it can be quite difficult for a coin to sell. It takes a well designed coin along with a well minted coin to sell in the geocoin world. There are many aspects to consider when designing, minting and selling a coin. It can be a very daunting and overwhelming experience. I think Michele could help make the process a whole lot easier & also help make a South Dakota coin one of the best state coins out there :(

I'm going to go stand with these folks here. GPX has just been an awesome asset here and not using her connections, abilities, and experience is just plain, old fashioned dumb. No way to mince words on that one!

Naomi :P