Protocol question

Ockette

The first cache I found in my area was archived a few months ago, and I messaged the owner and asked for/received permission to adopt. The cache was still in place even though it's currently off-list, so I brought it home to clean it up. The question is, what should I do with the logbooks? They're for the old cache. This will be a new listing, even though it's the same container in the same location, opportunity for cachers to find it again for a new smilie.

The first cache I found in my area was archived a few months ago, and I messaged the owner and asked for/received permission to adopt. The cache was still in place even though it's currently off-list, so I brought it home to clean it up. The question is, what should I do with the logbooks? They're for the old cache. This will be a new listing, even though it's the same container in the same location, opportunity for cachers to find it again for a new smilie.

If you can, scan the old logs and post them on the cache page of the orginal listing.

The first cache I found in my area was archived a few months ago, and I messaged the owner and asked for/received permission to adopt.

No need to have done this. If it's archived, you can just put out your own cache. Besides, the system won't allow the adoption of an archived cache.

The cache was still in place even though it's currently off-list, so I brought it home to clean it up. The question is, what should I do with the logbooks? They're for the old cache. This will be a new listing, even though it's the same container in the same location, opportunity for cachers to find it again for a new smilie.

New listing - new logbook.

The system should not allow you to adopt an archived cache and if it does slip up and process it you will not be able to get it unarchived so go ahead and make a new cache.

I see that you have a new cache page submitted already for this location. This is the proper thing to do.

The system should not allow you to adopt an archived cache and if it does slip up and process it you will not be able to get it unarchived so go ahead and make a new cache.

I see that you have a new cache page submitted already for this location. This is the proper thing to do.

I meant adopt more as in adopt the location.

If it's a new listing put in a new logbook. I made the mistake of recycling a logbook once and got my head bitten off by the FTF. Apparently FTF hounds have this "clean logbook thing" going.

All the more reason to put in a recycled log book.

I would ask the original owner if they wanted them before throwing them away. Since the archived it without retrieving them I would assume they did not want it, but you never know.

Edited by humanloofa

I don't understand the statement that a cache cannot be un-archived. It has been stated by reviewers who have archived caches that if they are repaired/replaced/fixed, or whatever needed to be done that made them get archived in the first place, is done, they will be unarchived. So can they, or can they not?

I also adopted the first cache I ever found.

If it's a new listing then it's a new waypoint and the old cache logs are for the old waypoint. Save the logs or just throw them away and start the new cache with a new log book.

You might want to put something in the listing about FTF policy. Since it's in the exact same location, even though it's a new waypoint, someone claiming FTF honors on what is essentially the same cache that they had previously found would seem kind of odd.

I don't understand the statement that a cache cannot be un-archived. It has been stated by reviewers who have archived caches that if they are repaired/replaced/fixed, or whatever needed to be done that made them get archived in the first place, is done, they will be unarchived. So can they, or can they not?

A local cacher here had placed 100 caches in this area but is in the process of moving from NY to Kansas City. A few months ago he put up many of his caches up for adoption. Of the remaining caches he removed and archived most of them leaving a few of the caches which didn't require much maintenance and were easily accessible. His moving plans got delayed a few months so he asked the local reviewer about unarchiving the caches. He replaced a couple of dozen caches, the reviewer un-archived them and they are available for logging once again.

If the owner makes the request, and the cache meets current guidelines they can be unarchived.

If a non owner (potential adopter) makes the requst they don't have the authority as they are not the owner. You can't unarchive somone elses cache. Archived caches can't be adopted out.

The work around is for the owner to make the request, get hte cache approved. Then as an active cache it can be formally adopted via the site. But since it's an active cache with an active owner it becomes a non issue.