Walking.......

karbrooks

A whole mile? That's inhuman!

Why, when I was your age. If I wanted to find me a geocache, I had to walk 20 miles. In the snow. Up hill, BOTH WAYS! then I didn't have me none of them newfangled Jee Pee Ess thingies. I had to navigate by the starts. And it was cloudy! And when I finally found my way to Ground Zero, I hate to fight a pack of Velociraptors just to be able to sign the log. And I had to sign it in my own blood, because we didn't have ink pens yet.

And by god. I was happy! .. Young punks complaining about a mile..

... Sorry, had to be said.

I personally like hikes. Though for me I prefer a fairly short hike that requires me to climb over boulders and such.

But, if you're not fond of longer hikes. look at the google map. You'll get a good idea of how far the cache is from the trailhead that way.

A whole mile? That's inhuman!

Why, when I was your age. If I wanted to find me a geocache, I had to walk 20 miles. In the snow. Up hill, BOTH WAYS! then I didn't have me none of them newfangled Jee Pee Ess thingies. I had to navigate by the starts. And it was cloudy! And when I finally found my way to Ground Zero, I hate to fight a pack of Velociraptors just to be able to sign the log. And I had to sign it in my own blood, because we didn't have ink pens yet.

And by god. I was happy! .. Young punks complaining about a mile..

... Sorry, had to be said.

I personally like hikes. Though for me I prefer a fairly short hike that requires me to climb over boulders and such.

But, if you're not fond of longer hikes. look at the google map. You'll get a good idea of how far the cache is from the trailhead that way.

:lol::lol::lol: Actually... NOT young and certainly not PUNK complaining... just curious

:lol::lol::lol: Actually... NOT young and certainly not PUNK complaining... just curious

If you actually took what I said as serious, I apologize. I's just being a smartass. :o No offense was intended, and I didn't think you were really complaining.

As for the age comment, I'm actually in the younger bracket on here.

:lol: I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Chapel Hill has lots of P&Gs if you'd prefer those. I take it you didn't find the cache after the walk.

I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

I'm just curious: Why do you participate in this hobby?

:laughing:

:D:):) Actually... NOT young and certainly not PUNK complaining... just curious

If you actually took what I said as serious, I apologize. I's just being a smartass. :D No offense was intended, and I didn't think you were really complaining.

As for the age comment, I'm actually in the younger bracket on here.

:unsure: No problem... I was really just curious since I'm very new to geocachin'!

I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Because it is fun... and I was JUST asking a simple question... was really just curious because I am new to this and wondering why people place caches where they do... answer your question?

:) I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Chapel Hill has lots of P&Gs if you'd prefer those. I take it you didn't find the cache after the walk.

No, actually I didn't and wow! it was JUST a simple question, since I'm new and curious why people place them where they do.

Because it is fun... and I was JUST asking a simple question... was really just curious because I am new to this and wondering why people place caches where they do... answer your question?

People hide and/or seek geocaches for many reasons. If a cache you found was placed by its hider a bit farther from parking or a greater distance down the trail than you would have hidden it yourself, that only indicates a difference in personal preference between you and the cache owner.

I hope your question has already been answered to your satisfaction. Some of my favorite answers so far:

Because for some of us the journey is the goal.
If the cache was placed at that first great spot, you would have missed seeing the next 10 great spots!
For me, it's because the spot I want to hide the cache is that far. Besides, I like a long hike. I wish more around me were longer hikes.
Some of the park & grabs are fun, but especially out on nature trails or pretty views - it's nice to have the long walk to enjoy the find all that much more.
I like variety.
I do like the caches that take you on a trip and require you to walk on a trail. Not only is it good exercise, but as others have said the journey is why we do it.
Funny ... I always think "now why did they hide the cache here so close to the trailhead, when there are bound to be dozens of great spots a mile or so down the trail?"

The fact that these types of answers were not already self-evident to you – the fact that you felt the need to ask – led me to wonder whether maybe your reason for participating has more to do with racking up your find score than enjoying the hunt for each individual cache.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a numbers hound or having a preference for easy hides. The good news is that there is a wide variety of fun to be found in this hobby. Once you acquire a little familiarity with the game and with the functions of the website you should be able to easily narrow down your target list and, if you like, only go after the types of hides you are more likely to enjoy while avoiding the types you’d rather ignore.

Does that help?

By the way, I notice that although you have been registered as a cacher for four months you have no cache finds logged under your account. Have you attempted to find any yet?

:o I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Kind of like speedboats vs. sailboats...

In a speedboat, it's all about the the destination...

In a sailboat, it's all about the trip getting there...

People hide and/or seek geocaches for many reasons. If a cache you found was placed by its hider a bit farther from parking or a greater distance down the trail than you would have hidden it yourself, that only indicates a difference in personal preference between you and the cache owner.

I hope your question has already been answered to your satisfaction. Some of my favorite answers so far:

Because for some of us the journey is the goal.
If the cache was placed at that first great spot, you would have missed seeing the next 10 great spots!
For me, it's because the spot I want to hide the cache is that far. Besides, I like a long hike. I wish more around me were longer hikes.
Some of the park & grabs are fun, but especially out on nature trails or pretty views - it's nice to have the long walk to enjoy the find all that much more.
I like variety.
I do like the caches that take you on a trip and require you to walk on a trail. Not only is it good exercise, but as others have said the journey is why we do it.
Funny ... I always think "now why did they hide the cache here so close to the trailhead, when there are bound to be dozens of great spots a mile or so down the trail?"

The fact that these types of answers were not already self-evident to you – the fact that you felt the need to ask – led me to wonder whether maybe your reason for participating has more to do with racking up your find score than enjoying the hunt for each individual cache.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a numbers hound or having a preference for easy hides. The good news is that there is a wide variety of fun to be found in this hobby. Once you acquire a little familiarity with the game and with the functions of the website you should be able to easily narrow down your target list and, if you like, only go after the types of hides you are more likely to enjoy while avoiding the types you’d rather ignore.

Does that help?

By the way, I notice that although you have been registered as a cacher for four months you have no cache finds logged under your account. Have you attempted to find any yet?

Your answer does not deserve a reply from me... it was just a question that you got off your high horse to answer... get back on.

it was JUST a simple question, since I'm new and curious why people place them where they do.

As seven or thirteen other people said: Because that is the spot that I want to show you. (Well, on most of my caches, anyway.) My QC department did not approve of 'those other spots on the way in." They were boring. Hike the mile or two in, and see what I want to show you! Not to say that I don't have some really great cache and dashes too...

:o I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Three years ago almost every cache that was hidden required a hike to get to. There is an entire new world out there if you leave your car and walk about a mile or more. But most cachers it seems just want to do drive ups.

I have had a lot of fun hiking to caches. I have one cache that can take over an hour to get to while hiking up a steep fire road and trail. I placed after finding three other caches in the same area. I must have done over 5 hours of hikking in the hills that day, but I had a good time doing it.

One time a carried a bowling/travel bug up a very steep hill for my 1000th find That was also fun.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Three years ago almost every cache that was hidden required a hike to get to. There is an entire new world out there if you leave your car and walk about a mile or more. But most cachers it seems just want to do drive ups.

I have had a lot of fun hiking to caches. I have one cache that can take over an hour to get to while hiking up a steep fire road and trail. I placed after finding three other caches in the same area. I must have done over 5 hours of hikking in the hills that day, but I had a good time doing it.

One time a carried a bowling/travel bug up a very steep hill for my 1000th find That was also fun.

As with most "the way it used to be" comments this one is ridiculous. We started caching in late 2003 and most of the caches we found then, and now, require very little walking/hiking, etc., although we do enjoy the ones that take a bit more effort. In fact, we try to find hide locations in our urban area that do require cachers to expend a bit of energy.

Of course we live in the Redmond area of Washington which could well be the micro/nano capital of the World. It seems that if you live in an urban area most of the caches in your area will likely require minimal walking to find. If you live in a less developed area your experience may be different. The variety is one of the best parts of the game.

As with most "the way it used to be" comments this one is ridiculous. We started caching in late 2003 and most of the caches we found then, and now, require very little walking/hiking, etc., although we do enjoy the ones that take a bit more effort. In fact, we try to find hide locations in our urban area that do require cachers to expend a bit of energy.

Of course we live in the Redmond area of Washington which could well be the micro/nano capital of the World. It seems that if you live in an urban area most of the caches in your area will likely require minimal walking to find. If you live in a less developed area your experience may be different. The variety is one of the best parts of the game.

Well it may have been 4 years ago, I Moved almost 3 years ago, but my statement is not ridiculous-

As I recall you were not with me when I found any caches so how is that you know anything about the area that I was caching in then. I use to have to drive at least 30 minutes just to get to an area with a cache. Now days it take less then 5 minutes to find an area to with a cache in it.

Edit to add:

In the area I was living at the time, for the dates covering

1/18/2000 throught 1/18/04 there were 47 caches (these are still there today)

For the dates 1/18/04 through 1/18/08 another 481 caches have been placed,

all this in a radius 6 miles.

As I said, years ago if you wanted to grab some cache, you were going to have to go hiking. There were very few drive up caches

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Well it may have been 4 years ago, I Moved almost 3 years ago, but my statement is not ridiculous-

As I recall you were not with me when I found any caches so how is that you know anything about the area that I was caching in then. I use to have to drive at least 30 minutes just to get to an area with a cache. Now days it take less then 5 minutes to find an area to with a cache in it.

Edit to add:

In the area I was living at the time, for the dates covering

1/18/2000 throught 1/18/04 there were 47 caches (these are still there today)

For the dates 1/18/04 through 1/18/08 another 481 caches have been placed,

all this in a radius 6 miles.

As I said, years ago if you wanted to grab some cache, you were going to have to go hiking. There were very few drive up caches

Perhaps if you qualified your statement and said that almost every cache you found, or that was hidden in your area, years ago required a hike then I would go for that since I have never cached with you and I don't know what your area is or was like. Your blanket statement is still ridiculous.

Have you ever cached with me? What do you know about my area or anywhere I have cached?

In the 4+ years that we have been caching we have not seen any real change in the distances rquired to get to the majority of caches in our area. What we HAVE seen is a trend toward better hides in the urban area we inhabit. Maybe that is due to the high density of caches here which means fewer cachers are inclined to toss out a film canister and call it a cache.

:blink: I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good sopts on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

At first your question struck me as rather bizarre and illogical, as in "why wouldn't you want to hike a mile in the woods to find a cache?", and then I realized what is going on for you... ...I realized what you were really trying to tell us, and what you were really asking. And so, here is my answer to your REAL, if implicit, question:

I suggest that you become a Premium member if you are not already a Premium member, and that you then start using Pocket Queries (PQs) to select only caches with a Difficulty rating of 1 and a Terrain rating of 1, and hunt only those caches. If you will conscientiously stick to this guideline, I can promise you that you will not encounter such perplexing and annoying problems in the future as that which you have framed in your first post. You may also wish to say a brief prayer each nite as you go to bed, along the lines of "Thank you God for park-and-grab lamppost micros and guardrail micros, for they are my bread and butter and my whole joy."

I suggest that you become a Premium member if you are not already a Premium member, and that you then start using Pocket Queries (PQs) to select only caches with a Difficulty rating of 1 and a Terrain rating of 1, and hunt only those caches. If you will conscientiously stick to this guideline, I can promise you that you will not encounter such perplexing and annoying problems in the future as that which you have framed in your first post.

Careful.

I gave an honest response myself, one which was very similar to your answer, and was rewarded by being told that my post wasn't worth a reply and that my horse was too tall.

I suspect there is some other secret agenda going on here, one that I'm sure the OP will reveal to us in his own time.

:blink: I'm just curious WHY people hide caches a long distance from the starting point when you pass many good spots on the way? I started a cache last week that was almost one mile down a trail, and I passed MANY good places along the way! Just curious....

Well, if the cache was hidden at the first good spot along the trail, then you would have turned around and missed out seeing all the other good spots now, wouldn't you? :wub:

Going to a new park and finding 3 caches close to the parking area is rather unsatisfying. I am always curious to what the rest of the park is like. Finding just one cache located in the most furtherest spots is more enjoyable. (in my opinion)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

A lot of cachers are in it in part for the exercise and the fun of a good solid hike. I have read many logs in this area where people actually take `creative' ways to a cache that makes it even longer and more difficult than it would have been from the suggested parking area. I've even done this myself on occasion. Some folks just love a challenge.

If it looks like a sock puppet, and it quacks like a sock puppet, and it smells like a sock puppet ...

It is a premium member account which appears to belong to a child whose parent is most likely posting.

This may explain it then. A parent who goes caching with their child and the child gets too tired to walk all the way to the cache. They are looking for hike that a small child can do without getting tired. They probably also don't want to do just park and grabs since the child likes to find a regular sized cache and trade. So the question is "How do you find child friendly regular sized caches?"

Perhaps now people can give some useful suggestions.