TBs Are Not Trade Items

Thot

It's always been my understanding Travel Bugs are not trade items. I want people to pickup and move my bugs at will.

It seems even some experienced cachers think you should leave something if you take a TB

I suggest pinning a Topic to the top of this forum with a title something like this one that makes it clear that no trade is expected when taking a TB.

One of the pinned topics says:

A TB is not a trade item, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a TB, and you should not take something from a cache in trade for a TB. You should take something from a cache, place the TB and a trade item.

"Do not have to" is not clear enough. "Not expected to" would be better. Some say, "Well, you may not have to but good form says you really should." Not expected to makes that clearer.

I've always thought it should be updated to read something like:

A TB is not a trade item, you do not have to put something in the cache to take a TB, (Including other TBs)

I suggest changing that to read:

"A TB is not a trade item, you are not expected to put something in the cache to take a TB, (Including other TBs)

Edited to correct boldface typo

Edited by Thot

I have edited the thread for logging instructions that is pinned at the top of this forum to put this up top. It is in the instructions, but I added it to the subtitle and the in the text at the top of the post.

If you want anything to be done about the TB pages, you need to open a thread in the geocaching.com website forums. That's not something that can be done here in the travel bug forums, it's a website issue.

You can post this over and again - for some it still does not seem to matter.

I had a cache with some pretty good swag, including a new baseball. A cacher with over 5000 finds took the ball and left a plastic copy of a geocoin in it's place. Even noted so in the log. Some folks just dont care.