60CSx

Kryten

If the geocaching mode actually worked properly.

1. Why is "Found it" the default button on the compass page, it's too easy for the "Enter" to get pressed accidentally. Why not make "Note" the default. That way at least if accidentally activated, "Note" doesn't cause the cache to dissappear off to the "found" list.

2. If the user manually moves the focus to the "Note" button, why is this not remembered after leaving and returning to the compass page.

3. If the user hand enters a waypoint, why is it not possible to immediately launch a "goto" to this point. Why is it necessary to return to the waypoint list, just to select the newly entered waypoint.

I doubt if a geocacher was even consulted during the development of this stuff.

1. Why is "Found it" the default button on the compass page, it's too easy for the "Enter" to get pressed accidentally. Why not make "Note" the default. That way at least if accidentally activated, "Note" doesn't cause the cache to dissappear off to the "found" list.
I have a 60C but it does the same and I've done that at least a hundred times! And then have to do a find on Waymarks and get the cache found and change the icon back to an unfound GC to keep going.

2. If the user manually moves the focus to the "Note" button, why is this not remembered after leaving and returning to the compass page.
Good question!

3. If the user hand enters a waypoint, why is it not possible to immediately launch a "goto" to this point. Why is it necessary to return to the waypoint list, just to select the newly entered waypoint.
A real pain, I know! Especially on multi's when you're entering them in the field (literally). I have gotten into the habit of manually entered points get a - (minus sign) in front of them and then when I do a search I switch to "by name" and they're at the top of the sort list because if they're not the closest then you have to scroll to find the name you just entered (as well as remember the name you just entered).

We use Autodesk Inventor at work (3D modelling) and we say the same thing about that... written by a bunch of programmers and not mechanical engineers.... ::sigh::

I wish the 60 series had the little toggle button that's on the eTreks like the Vista. Left-Left-Left.... DOWN???? NO! I pressed LEFT! :rolleyes:

I used to do that all the time as well. I'd look down at the GPSr only to discover I had accidentally hit "Enter" and marked the cache as Found.

I work around the problem by using the Map page to navigate instead. I set two data fields, one showing the arrow and the other the distance -- same info as the compass page and I can see the Topo lines at the same time too.

With the release of the new Colorado units I would expect Garmin won't be doing any development on the GPSMAP 60 series so I wouldn't hold my breath for a change from the manufacturer -- best to come up with your own workaround.

Before the 60CS came out I was caching in Olathe Kansas. I saw a guy heading towards the same cache. Turns out he was testing two versions of the 60CS aquisition software to see which was best. He is a cacher and knew a lot about the sport.

That being said he stated to me that he doesn't get to find very many caches because he has to work on software revisions all the time. So I guess we get to pick whether the software engineers understand all the nuances of geocaching or whether we want them to work on putting in fixes.

A real pain, I know! Especially on multi's when you're entering them in the field (literally). I have gotten into the habit of manually entered points get a - (minus sign) in front of them and then when I do a search I switch to "by name" and they're at the top of the sort list because if they're not the closest then you have to scroll to find the name you just entered (as well as remember the name you just entered).

(At least on the 60CSX that I use) a quick way to find the waypoint that you just entered is to use the Recent Finds option. You'll find the new waypoint at the top of the list and you can immediately use the Goto option.

Sometimes, even though the compass is on and I'm currently traveling to a cache, the Find/Note buttons aren't even on the compass page... So I can't figure out why it is sometimes and not others.

May be put in a suggestion to Garmin for future updates!

I can only think of two conditions that might cause that:

(1) even though it's a cache, the waypoint you are heading to does not have a treasure-chest symbol, or

(2) you selected "follow road" instead of "off road".

Isn't temp used for altitude? I've never figured out where there isn't a visible thermometer.

Because it's not very meaningful. The temperature (which can be displayed by going into diagnostic mode) is the unit's internal temperature, not the outside ambient temperature. This value is used by the unit to make minor adjustments to the clock, since it's affected by the temperature. In some grayscale display units, it's also used to auto-adjust the contrast, since LCDs are easily affected by the temperature.

I work around the problem by using the Map page to navigate instead. I set two data fields, one showing the arrow and the other the distance -- same info as the compass page and I can see the Topo lines at the same time too.

I have recently started using this setup and really like it. Map, arrow and distance all on the same page. :lol:

If the geocaching mode actually worked properly.

#'s 1 & 2) Yep... my Legend Cx and Legend HCx behave the same way, and it is wrong. The Note button should be the default because if you accidentally bump the joystick, all it does is switches to Note mode. Of course, you can always retrieve a Found It cache from the calendar, but that takes several extra (and unneccessary) steps.

#3) I also concur with that one. If I remember right, my old blue Legend didn't do that. But both my Cx and HCx are that way. I save a new waypoint, and then must select it from the list before I have the option to Goto.

I was disappointed when I started using my 60CSx and found out that the much bragged about Geocaching feature would not do anything that I couldn't do with my Garmin Quest. The information page has the exact same information just in a different format because of the arrangement of the screens.

I even talked to a Garmin tech and expressed my opinion. He had a 60CSx himself and was surprised that it didn't show hints etc. on the info page. I know Megellan has a unit that you can go completely paperless with only the one unit (as apposed to having to download to a PDA). I thought sure that Garmin would keep pace with the 60CSx.

I am yet to discover the benifits of the Geocaching feature. If any one has information that I haven't discovered I would love to hear it.

OK, I am through griping now. :0)

Dooley

(At least on the 60CSX that I use) a quick way to find the waypoint that you just entered is to use the Recent Finds option. You'll find the new waypoint at the top of the list and you can immediately use the Goto option.

Find - Find is the shortcut for recent caches. Am I the only person out there haven't discovered this?

Two quick presses of the FIND button brings up recent waypoints, including waypoints just created.

I stopped using the geocaching mode because of this and the fact I could only use one icon for found/unfound caches(default are open closed treasure box), I use custom cache type icons instead. Pretty much everyone agrees having the note field highlighted not the found field makes way more since, yet garmin never seems to be listening.

Seems like they could easily change this in the unit software. this issue hs been around since I got my LegendC or when the 60c/60cs were out, almost 4 years ago. I doubt garmin will change this anytime soon.

I stopped using the geocaching mode because of this and the fact I could only use one icon for found/unfound caches(default are open closed treasure box), I use custom cache type icons instead. Pretty much everyone agrees having the note field highlighted not the found field makes way more since, yet garmin never seems to be listening.

Seems like they could easily change this in the unit software. this issue hs been around since I got my LegendC or when the 60c/60cs were out, almost 4 years ago. I doubt garmin will change this anytime soon.

So I'm going to buy a 60CSx soon-is this a mistake,I thought they were an awesome unit

So I'm going to buy a 60CSx soon-is this a mistake,I thought they were an awesome unit

It is a fantastic unit and the complaints mentioned here are really minor IMHO.