The orbiting geocoin, with an apology.

Nate Grumby

I would like to offer my apologies to the geocaching community for encouraging the logging of one of my geocoins in ways that were neither traditional or within the norms of geocaching.com. My coin, TB16CKV (STS-122 Orbiting Geocoin) was carried on board the Space Shuttle Atlantis on it's mission to install the Columbus space module at the International Space Station. It was carried in a personal locker of Dr. Stan Love, an EVA astronaut who also happens to be my best friend. During the 13 day flight, the coin orbited the Earth over 200 times for a distance of about 5,300,000 miles. The space shuttle Atlantis, its crew, and the coin have landed safely today.

I was struck by this unique opportunity, but when I originally contacted Groundspeak, they informed me that the rules did not permit any exceptions to logging this coin. In frustration, I posted a log (in 4 topic areas) describing how I would have handled this situation, including posting pictures or eye-witness accounts of the launch, landing, or overflights, using GoogleEarth to project groundtracks over personal caches, etc. I also posted the coin code, knowing full well that it would entail many extra days of deleting 'illicit' logs from those who get their jollies on that sort of thing. The people of Groundspeak were not pleased by my actions, banned me from the forums for 14 days, deleted my forum posts, and locked the coin.

I was cited the following rule. "If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play."

So I apologize for not playing fair. It was not my intention to 'cheat' or gain some sort of 'advantage' or 'abuse the system' for this particular coin. In truth, I simply wanted to share this unique event somehow with the geocaching community. Given the few space shuttle flights left, I do not know how many other geocoins will ever make orbit. I will also cease any efforts to get Travel Bug code microdotted on orbiting satellites or interplanetary probes, or TB tags or other coins onto the International Space Station.

The people of Groundspeak did have a point. A cacher by the name of <removed> 'grabbed' the coin and placed it in a cache somewhere near Antarctica with the lovely little note "This is why you should never post tracking numbers online..." I was hoping for better manners and a bit of a honor system, but it didn't take long for this idea to be abused. Anyhow, that problem has been fixed and Groundspeak unlocked my coin so I can display it once it returns from the Cape. Unfortunately, visiting me is the only way the geocache community will be able to log the coin that made it 210 miles up.

So after this summer, once I get the coin mounted in a display case, cachers are welcome to come by and log it. Just drop me some e-mail next time you're in the Matanuska Valley in Alaska.

Thanks for your time.

Nate Grumby

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Sorry it didn't work out so good. But I DID manage to See the ISS with Atlantis docked as she flew overhead last week. That never gets old, no matter how many times I see it overhead, and it's especially special with a shuttle attached.

I'd love to see that coin in person someday. You've got yourself a neat little treasure there.

I’m glad your coin, your friend, and the crew have returned safely.

A “unique opportunity” is an understatement. “Once in a lifetime” comes to mind.

I hope this has inspired folks to get out and look at the night sky. Each time I watch the ISS or shuttle fly overhead, I think of my Dad and the nights we would stretch out on the hood of our 59’ Ford using the windshield as a backrest. We’d watch the night sky for hours hoping to see Sputnik cut across the constellations. We’ve come a long way.

I’ve only been to Alaska one time, Feb. 90’. Maybe someday I’ll get to see it when the sun is visible for more than an hour. :rolleyes: I’d like to try some “combat fishing” and go after a halibut bigger than me. And of course, discover your coin! :D

Happy Trails

:ph34r:

Thanks to you Nate Grumby. Creativity and ideas like this are what makes life interesting and fun. I too saw the ISS and STS-122 on several ocassions last week. Too bad TPTB can't bend the rules once in a while to accomodate something this unique. I will always look at my own Silver AstroLabe coin just a little bit differently from now on.

Kudos to the King of slightly twisted and decidely fun caches in the land of the MegaCabbage... Matanuska Valley!

I trust your treasure will be the centerpiece at an event this coming spring -

I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the last event I attended up north there,

and I'm in need of a few more days caching in the wide open spaces of the Valley...

In the meantime, well done! What a grand way to focus attention on Mankind's reach for the High Ground...

Your apology is accepted by me.

It appears you have learned many things in this great adventure and have been truly humbled.

I would love to log the geocoin and when I make my first visit to Alaska I will drop you a line and see it first hand.

I am gald to see the diversity geocoins can bring.

And no matter what may come you have a very special friend and geocoin.

Some photos forthcoming on the STS-122 Orbiting Geocoin page...some 9000 photos and several hours of high def video were taken in those 13 days, so these photos will trickle in. No photos of the coin yet, but there are some launch and space station ones featuring Dr. Stan Love who took it up there for me...

I was cited the following rule. "If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play."

How is this any different than logging a cache that was muggled and the owner says you found the area. Shouldn't the cache be locked as well and both people who have not played fair be banned? It uses the same amount of resources to log a TB, coin, or cache, so why are TBs and coins the only thing targeted? I wish there wasn't selective enforcement.

For the life of me I can't figure out why someone wants to log something as "found" or "discovered" when it has never happened. Glad you have come to an understanding of this. Just wish more people would as well, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

How is this any different than logging a cache that was muggled and the owner says you found the area. Shouldn't the cache be locked as well and both people who have not played fair be banned? It uses the same amount of resources to log a TB, coin, or cache, so why are TBs and coins the only thing targeted? I wish there wasn't selective enforcement.

For the life of me I can't figure out why someone wants to log something as "found" or "discovered" when it has never happened. Glad you have come to an understanding of this. Just wish more people would as well, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

If people are logging caches that are not there, then absolutely, someone should be posting a "Needs Archived" log. Let the local reviewer know when a cache is gone and not being replaced. If the owner doesn't maintain it, replace it or archive it, then Groundspeak can archive it for them. Missing caches are not good, they are keeping anyone else from placing a cache within .10 miles from that spot.

And for some, it's all about the numbers. Not reality. I don't get it either.

I couldn't believe the break in the weather allowing the launch. Was equally wonderful seeing the landing knowing another safe end to another successful mission.

Can't wait for our next trip to Alaska!

This is a must-see coin!

I'll definitely bring my own Astrolabe along to get photos.

Thank you Nate Grumby for sharing your story and your awesome pictures with us. Although I have been away for a while, I have enjoyed knowing about this wonderful event. We are lucky to enjoyed this "vicarious" adventure with you.

Like someone else mentioned, I will never look at my Astrolab Coin with the same eyes. Looking up into the clear starry-filled winter sky recently, made me think about your Geocoin. :laughing:

(My father worked for RCA at the Cape, and on Ascension Island tracking the shuttle down range. He is now retired.)

Absolutely amazing, especially the second picture. I don't think there are words to express what it is like to be a part of something so incredible; I doubt I'll experience it in my lifetime. Looking at Earth in that second picture, I don't know, just totally blows my mind, our planet is so beautiful. Anyhow, was there a geocoin involved in this, lol, I got caught up in the beauty of it all? Thanks so much for sharing some pictures, much appreciated!

2b086273-e1bc-4b75-96d5-0400c18309b1.jpg

ca631404-60f9-4d83-9bde-39b3af21bfa4.jpg

Just found out about this from another thread. What an awesome trip for a Geocoin! It's too bad that there wasn't some way for you and Groundspeak to come to terms on this without a lot of problems. It's a huge opportunity to raise awareness of Geocaching and promotes the sport in a very good light.

Stan and the rest of the crew did an awesome job and the ISS is getting bigger and brighter with every flight.

I jumped on a plane and few to to the Cape last summer to catch the launch of Atlantis. I've been to five landings at Edwards but the launch was something else.

Ad Astra!

Very cool that you got a coin of yours taken into orbit! I spent the better part of the last 6 years redesigning some parts on the Shuttle's Main Engines, which NASA showed a great deal of interest in LOL. STS-122 was the first flight with the new parts on all 3 engines so it was a special flight for me, too.

I have a friend who has been tailoring her career with an eye toward trying to become an astronaut; I hope to have her someday fly my watch if she makes it (probably to the moon, not just earth orbit, at the rate things are going). Enjoy your coin, I'm sure no one needs to tell you how special it is. I would love to be lucky enough to discover it one day.