Accessibility Coins Now Available

Nochipra

1frontofcoin.jpg

Front of coin

1backofcoin.jpg

Back of coin

This is the artwork for our new coin due out soon through Oakcoins. We are very excited about this coin since it will be the first one to have braille on it (at least it's the only one I know of with braille?). We wanted to do a coin to help promote the fact that geocaching is enjoyable for everyone with all kinds of abilities and people from all walks of life are geocachers.

The coin will be done in nickel and gold for the RE versions and a special limited number of AE versions will be done in copper. If there is a second run on the coins there may be different metals done but that is yet to be determined. The braille on the coin has a special message that can be interpreted through reseach on the internet or by someone you know who can read braille which makes it kind of like a "puzzle" coin in a way. There will also be pins made with the same design as on the front of the coins. Thanks for looking:)

<Moderator edit to add photos>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

That's a great idea for a coin! I am getting more and more problems with my knees which limits the caches that I can do (but I can still do most caches now), and it will get worse in the future, I am afraid. Unfortunately most cachers and most cache owners are not aware that there are cachers out there who are not 100% healthy and still want to have fun. They rate their caches as T1 even if there is a quite long walk involved (more than 4 km) or you have to leave a path or the path is not even stroller accessible (not to talk about a wheelchair) or the cache is hidden somewhere above their head so that even small persons have problems to reach them. They think its easy so they rate it as easy. This often leads to frustration because you choose this cache at home because you think you can do it, and when you are at the location you realize that you can't do it :ph34r:

I am not sure if a coin would help, but I will buy one to set it free, maybe one or two will think about the message, and maybe it will change a little bit :rolleyes:

I have an idea, I think I will make this into a contest? The FIRST ONE to tell me what the braille message says gets a surprise coin. It won't be this one but one of my choosing to be sent to the winner. Good Luck!

EDIT: I will check answers late this evening since I will most likely be gone most of the day.

Edited by Nochipra

I like the coin and thought I might offer this suggestion for the front side. :ph34r:

If it's not too late in the design stage, I thought it might look pretty cool to add a secret coded message in Braille (or just a regular message), around the four quarter images on the front face. I think it would give the coin a much more finished look, having a pattern (Braille or otherwise) around those four images. :D:rolleyes::D

Tom

I like the coin and thought I might offer this suggestion for the front side. :rolleyes:

If it's not too late in the design stage, I thought it might look pretty cool to add a secret coded message in Braille (or just a regular message), around the four quarter images on the front face. I think it would give the coin a much more finished look, having a pattern (Braille or otherwise) around those four images. :ph34r::D:D

Tom

We should be getting samples in the mail within a couple of weeks. Once I do and they are approved I'll post pics. I would expect it will be out within probably a month to 6 weeks. I don't really know how long it will take after we approve the samples?

So what DOES the Braile say? I figure I could look it up...but might as well ask if someone else has done that already.

Ahh, ya lazy bum :lol:

PM sent, hehehe!

Naomi :lol:

LOL, if anyone else wants to try and take a shot at what the message is just email me your answer through our profile and I'll let you know if your right:)

Hey Nochipra

I have sold your coin puzzle.

It was fun to do that and i have learned also.

I think that Steinwalzer and Mousekakat where fast with there answer, i take me a while to do it.

Thanks for making this coin, Ilove to have this coin but i make a promise that i do not buy coins anymore.

I have only one trackable coin to trade.

greetings

Edited by Geo.Error

What a great idea for a geocoin! My partner is a Division Director at a local Community College and the Disabilities section is part of her division! They are just starting up a couple courses on Geocaching/GPS so I'd love to pick up a few of these terrific coins for the class! :) DrJeepStr

PS...Got the Deaf Awareness coins on order too!!

What a great idea for a geocoin! My partner is a Division Director at a local Community College and the Disabilities section is part of her division! They are just starting up a couple courses on Geocaching/GPS so I'd love to pick up a few of these terrific coins for the class! :o DrJeepStr

PS...Got the Deaf Awareness coins on order too!!

Thanks, I was part of the Disabilities Division at my Community College where I attended (too many yrs ago, lol). That's really great that they are teaching geocaching/gps use too:) Don't forget the pins.

Hey Nochipra

I think that Steinwalzer and Mousekakat where fast with there answer, i take me a while to do it.

Thanks for making this coin, Ilove to have this coin but i make a promise that i do not buy coins anymore.

greetings

When they come out give me a email and we will see what we can work out:)

Hey Nochipra

greetings

When they come out give me a email and we will see what we can work out:)

Thanks for giving me a chance. :blink:

Great coin - congrats! Cheers to all who promote accessible caching. In Maine 3 of us put out a Rose Series (Maine Rose Series) for one of our cachers who has a disability. A dozen caches a piece (3 dozen) for the cacher to find. Some are now disabled and some have been archived but a number are still living and well.

Coins to promote awareness are a wonderful idea.

Goodmorning Nochipra

I was yesterday on a event and talking with cachers, we talk about caches who people with abilities good do.

It appears that there are a lot of caches that can do by people with abilities, but that the cachemakers that not mention in the cachediscription.

I think that your coin when he is traveling around the world the cachemakers eyes will open.

In fact through talking on your coin, we talked about these caches.

So your coin works already. :blink:

Goodmorning Nochipra

I was yesterday on a event and talking with cachers, we talk about caches who people with abilities good do.

It appears that there are a lot of caches that can do by people with abilities, but that the cachemakers that not mention in the cachediscription.

I think that your coin when he is traveling around the world the cachemakers eyes will open.

So your coin works already. :blink:

Wow thanks for the information. That is really nice to know. I will probably send out some as travel bugs once they come in.

Goodmorning Nochipra

So your coin works already. :)

Wow thanks for the information. That is really nice to know. I will probably send out some as travel bugs once they come in.

As we can made a trade, my coin wil also travel around the world. I think that is the purpose of this coin. :blink:

Introducing the birth of the Accessibility Geocoin!!! I just got an email from Emma at Oakcoins with the pics of the sample coins that are on the way to us as we speak and I couldn't wait to share them with you all. I'm so excited about them, I think they turned out great!

1frontofcoin.jpg

1backofcoin.jpg

Edited by Nochipra

Merging two threads on one coin. Please remember, you get one thread per coin/series. Keep all of your coin information in one place. Moderators can change titles for you anytime. Just click report on your first post and tell them what you want the title to be.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

The coin looks great! And I like the idea of a pin, too!

For my part, I will be making a bookmark list of accessible caches soon. We have too many T1 caches that are not accessible for disabled persons. Most cache-owners don't care. So I will have to do my job and make a bookmark-list where I can add those caches that I have done and that I think that can be done from a wheelchair too.

Merging two threads on one coin. Please remember, you get one thread per coin/series. Keep all of your coin information in one place. Moderators can change titles for you anytime. Just click report on your first post and tell them what you want the title to be.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

thanks, is there a way to replace the pic of the real coin in the first post?