FTF deleted--Not found during park hours!

Cog&Gil

The owner of GC19GW9 deleted a first to find log because the "first to finder" made the find during a local park's "closed" hours. I think this is bull. Am I wrong here? Are cache owners police officers now?

Yes, Cog, you are wrong. Very wrong. Geocachers should never break the law in pursuit of caches, it endangers the survival of the sport for all of us. :ph34r:

Cheaters should never be allowed to win.

We congratulate the cache owner in doing the right thing by deleting the smilie. Unfortunately, now they are liable to become the hate target of the loonies. We know, we've been there.

Calling the cache owners cache police is mean-spirited and insulting; The OP owes them an apology.

Oh, I'm sure we won't be hearing from the OP. I'd doubt they expected this reaction. :D

This did become an issue in my area, I'd say in 2005 maybe? We had a couple of (then) newbies, who jumped right into the FTF game pretty aggressively, and many posted hours were ignored, and many a 2:00 AM flashlight FTF was had. But a few wisecracks from people in logs, and people in our area now do a great job of not breaking the law just so they can go home and type "WOOOHOOOO FFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTFFFFFF" on a silly website. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it looks like this whole thing was very cordial and non-controversial between the cache owner and the FTF in this case. Nothing to see here.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

The owner of GC19GW9 deleted a first to find log because the "first to finder" made the find during a local park's "closed" hours. I think this is bull. Am I wrong here? Are cache owners police officers now?

Almost a 1000 caches under your belt and you don't respect the cache owner's right to enforce logging requirements? :rolleyes:

Let me tell you a story...

About a year ago, a cache listing came up late at night. The cache page clearly stated the park hours.

I drove to the park the next morning, arriving several minutes before the posted opening time. To my surprise, there in the parking lot was the car of an avid FTF hound. What surprised me most was that he was waiting until the official opening time before heading out on the trail. It turns out that he got there a good half hour before me, but was patiently waiting in the car while enjoying a fresh thermous of coffee.

We chatted a while, then we both set out for the cache when the park was officially open.

This has happened to me twice since.

So, despite the strong temptation to get that FTF at all costs, even the FTF hounds play by the rules. (At least the ones I know).

Once again a thread where people have confused geocaching with online logging at Geocaching.com. Once a geocache is placed and list, the cache owner has no control over who finds his cache and signs the logbook. The person found this cache and signed the log first and is the first to find regardless whether they broke any laws doing so.

Does this mean the cache owner can't or shouldn't delete the log? No. The cache owner can delete the log, particularly since the cache page stated the park hours. The posted log was not in the stated (or implied) requirement to find the cache during the hours the park was opened. The hider placed the cache with adequate permission. Either he had explicit permission from the park or he place the cache with the understanding that geocaching was an activity allowed within the rules of the park. Clearly when the park is closed, geocaching is not allowed. By hunting the cache during the closed hours, the finder is putting the permission for placing the cache at risk.

It would seem at first that the hider's motivation in deleting the log is to remove evidence that his cache was responsible for the breaking of park rules. If the parks department couldn't see the FTF log that stated that finder was searching when the park was closed, they would have no proof that caching leads to rules being broken. However, it is more likely that hider's intent was to punish the finder for breaking park rules basically to reinforce the statement of park hours on the cache page. This could be used to argue to the parks department that geocaching has a way for geocachers to help enforce park laws by discouraging other cachers from breaking the laws or risk having an online log deleted.

Bottom line is that you're not going to get much sympathy for breaking park rules just to get a FTF. By doing so you put the cache at risk and make it harder for geocachers to get permission to place caches in the park in future.

Uauauauauaaah! Danger! Danger!

In our region we have a lot of caches at old "open pit mine" areas. Sure there are signs like "Do not enter. Danger area". I tjhink is just an insurance thing - I you get injured you'll have to pay hospital maybe at your own.

Martin

This is exactly the type of thinking that disgusts me about geocaching. Whether i like it or not i am lumped into a group of people of whom some break laws, place caches without permission, do not perform CITO, do not believe in leave no trace, are noisy while searching for a cache, etc...

No, not all geocachers. But for me, the few spoil it.

When LEO stop me i always explain that each cache has permission. (Along with other geocaching info.) The sad fact is, we know that this is not true. I need to rephrase to each cache "should" have permission.

Some of the above actions of other geocachers is what has soured me while attending an event cache. A few ruined it for me. I was so mad it ruined my day. In fact it ruined my whole parties day.

Edited by knight2000

From the cache page:

Nice little neighborhood park. Very peaceful, and a great place to watch the sunset. Views toward the Tucson Mountains. Again, one of those areas I didn’t know existed until I stumbled on it. Cache has log and a few small items. Need to bring your own writing implement.

Park Hours: 7:00 AM to Dusk. Typical rules apply – no golfing, dogs need be on a leash, no alcohol.

Not such a great place to watch a sunset if you have to hightail it out of the park before the sun has completely set.

Dusk comes after sunset. Civil dusk is defined as when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon...usually about 30 minutes later.

I've never seen a FTF log deleted for that reason but I have personally backed off from a FTF when I got there and discovered the cache was located in a place that was not open after dark. I hated to leave because I'm a FTF freak and I had spent a fair amount of time figuring out how to get to the dang spot but I'd rather miss out on the FTF than trespass in an area that was plainly closed for the night. I make it a point to not break any laws when I'm caching. I've been approached by law enforcement 4 different times while caching and never worried about it because I don't break the law when caching. I really wanted that FTF but it went to another person who didn't care that the place was closed after dark.

From Google maps, it looks like the cache can be accessed without entering the park. The logs the original FTF posted claimed that they accessed it from outside the park, so I looked.

Cache on Google Maps Zoom in and look at Hybrid view.

I looked at the map. I would say the cache is well within the park. Not all parks are filled with green lawns. Some are natural open space areas which is what this looks like in the sat image.

Good for the cache owner, you violated the law because you wanted a FTF, if anything your FTF is Bull.

Unless I am misunderstanding, it was not the OP who visited the park after hours - it was another cacher. The OP just brought the issue to the forums.

From Google maps, it looks like the cache can be accessed without entering the park. The logs the original FTF posted claimed that they accessed it from outside the park, so I looked.

I looked at the map. I would say the cache is well within the park. Not all parks are filled with green lawns. Some are natural open space areas which is what this looks like in the sat image.

I looked at the map. I would say that the cache is on or near the park's boundary. It certainly looks like that cache might be able to be accessed from outside the park. If that is how the cache was accessed, the owner may have been wrong to delete the find.

I looked at the map. I would say that the cache is on or near the park's boundary. It certainly looks like that cache might be able to be accessed from outside the park. If that is how the cache was accessed, the owner may have been wrong to delete the find.

According to the cache page, the person whose log was deleted admitted to walking to the cache from the park.

On a follow up note, logs only record when the log was entered, not when the cache was found (other then date). Did the FTF'er state the time of day that they found it in their log? I know the second did. Don't know if I've every had a log entered on one of my caches stating the time of day they found it. Guess they could of claimed they typed the wrong time in their log if they were questioned.... oh well, still the owner is well within their rights.

The finder does not have to state the time if the find to get busted by the owner.

From the cache page

I hate to throw a wet blanket on things, but it was clearly stated in the description of the cache that the park was open from 7:00 AM to dusk. As the cache was not published until 7:54 PM, any finds tonight were after the park closed. Soooo.... the ftf is still up for grabs. Sorry....

When the cache is logged the cache owner gets an e-mail with a time stamp the show the time the e-mail was sent. The cache was published while the park was closed, if the finder sent the e-mail while the park was closed he busted himself.

I've always found these conversations interesting. I have spent many hours in our city parks, long after the posted hours. I've even seen police drive by us, etc, with no comment. We always see people biking/walking/rollerblading, etc. after "hours". I never realized that it was a big deal until reading about it in these forums. I'm super curious now, what my city's official policy is on this. I need to ask someone, just to satisfy my curiousity.

gee I was told to leave a park by a cop the said the park was closed. The sign at the park said that the park closed at sunset, for the time if year sunset was at 7pm. The cop told my the park closed at 6PM. SUre the cop is an idiot, be he has the gun :rolleyes:

Good for the cache owner, you violated the law because you wanted a FTF, if anything your FTF is Bull.

Unless I am misunderstanding, it was not the OP who visited the park after hours - it was another cacher. The OP just brought the issue to the forums.

The OP did not state one way or the other. But why would someone that is not involved directly with the deletion even care to bring it up

There will NEVER be another FTF on that cache...even if they deleted the log.

I've got to agree, whether or not the cache was found legally. An FTF is an FTF whether or not the cache owner deletes the log. Trying to put FTF back in play is like trying to find a re-cycled virgin. That dog don't hunt.

As far as condoning the actions of the seeker if they broke the law, I don't. But that said, legally or not, they were FTF.

What is next? Deleted logs for not posting a copy of your National Forest Adventure Pass?

You could have found the cache by traveling through the methlab to the west of it.

As the competition for FTF gets more difficult, this type of issue will surely increase. Since none of us read the initial log, who is to say that the first finder mentioned the time of their hunt in their log. We had some local cachers that bagged FTFs on four caches in a closed park. They were dumb enough to list the time of their hunt.

It only takes one park manager, or superintendent to see this blatant disregard for the posted rules to get caches banned from an area. Regaining permission is far harder than getting it in the first place. I doubt this matters much to all the selfish cachers who could care less about rules, provided they get their little smiley, "no matter what happens."

Everyone seems to whining about the log being deleted. It sure looks to me that the first finder re-logged their find. They weren't denied a smiley. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kit Fox

February 20 by 5daughters (176 found)

I could contest the ftf for yesterday as the cache really isn't "legally in the park", the park boundries stop at the metal cable... and can be accessed by walking around the park 'fence' but I won't as she did walk through the park to get to the cache....next time I guess we will have to read the description a little better , but it is all good.....tn,l-gc,sl, tfth...

If this is the log of who originally had the FTF it doesn't sound like they're any too upset about the ordeal and they see the err in their ways. If the cache owner did what they felt was right and the original FTF'er doesn't feel slighted, then what is there to debate?

And the FTlegallyF kind of says it's not the actual FTF, but the actual "Legal FTF"... straightens that up, too. Sounds like owner and cacher are on the same playing field in agreement. And since an owner has control over their cache (which includes the logs entered on thier cache page) no harm no foul....

Edited by infiniteMPG

There will NEVER be another FTF on that cache...even if they deleted the log.

I've got to agree, whether or not the cache was found legally. An FTF is an FTF whether or not the cache owner deletes the log. Trying to put FTF back in play is like trying to find a re-cycled virgin. That dog don't hunt.

As far as condoning the actions of the seeker if they broke the law, I don't. But that said, legally or not, they were FTF.

I agree that CO has the right to do anything with their listings, no matter how benign and passive aggressive it might be. But I also agree that it is FTF regardless of it being deleted or not. I never condone law breakage but if you do I think you ought to use common sense and not point it out.

I unintentionally entered a park here in MN about 5AM from a back bike trail thinking fresh day, ok. I decided to leave through the front and found the place gated up and the signage posting hours. Oops.. unintentional and probably wouldn't do it again knowingly. On the other hand, I'd hate to lose the logged FTF since I ruined a pair of work pants in the process. Oh well, all part of the game.

Wrong? Yes and No. Yes about thinking the owner honoring the park rules is bull. You are not wrong in disliking the rule that prohibits the respectable use and enjoymenet of parks at all hours.

My take on this:

1) The original finder is still the FTF regardless of whether or not he/she violated the park rules. I personally wouldn't do it since the FTF doesn't mean that much to me.

2) I think deleting the log was a bit over the top. If it were my cache and the log specifically mentioned that the finder violated the rules to find it I would ask that they edit it so it doesn't unintentionally encourage others to do the same, but I wouldn't delete it. They did find the cache after all.

3) I'm pretty sure around here the police don't sweep through the parks at closing time and kick everyone out. These park hours of operations are usually there so the cops have a reason to shut down late-night parties or remove the homeless. An otherwise law-abiding Geocacher likely wouldn't even mak the radar of the local LEOs. Naturally, this could vary from region to region.

Since I am clearly in the minority on this one I'll just don the flame-retardant suit and sit back now. :rolleyes:

My take on this:

1) The original finder is still the FTF regardless of whether or not he/she violated the park rules. I personally wouldn't do it since the FTF doesn't mean that much to me....

Didn't the cache rules say to follow the park rules?

I mean sure, a Basket Ball team can sink the first shot of the game before the game starts, but is it really the first shot or the first score?

Sorry, but the owners of caches defining what a FTF is and getting to decide who is FTF is way beyond what I find comfortable. In addition, nowhere in the guidelines or rules (whatever you want to call them) do I find anything that states the cache owner is responsible for enforcing city, county, state, or federal rules. Maybe I missed it somewhere?

Should we as cache finders be able to decide that a cache does not meet certain regulations and also act as judge, jury and executioner by removing the cache in question?

Edited by ReadyOrNot

From the cache page:

Nice little neighborhood park. Very peaceful, and a great place to watch the sunset. Views toward the Tucson Mountains. Again, one of those areas I didn’t know existed until I stumbled on it. Cache has log and a few small items. Need to bring your own writing implement.

Park Hours: 7:00 AM to Dusk. Typical rules apply – no golfing, dogs need be on a leash, no alcohol.

Not such a great place to watch a sunset if you have to hightail it out of the park before the sun has completely set.

Edit: added quote box

I just may be too literal here but...

Dusk, by definition, does occur after sunset...at least that is my understanding!!!

Civilian Dusk: The time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon in the evening.

Nautical Dusk: The time at which the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon in the evening.

Astronomical Dusk: The time at which the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon in the evening.

This is how parks deal with the problem of setting a closing time without having to deal with the fact that the earth and other objects move around space and cause all kinds of problems. When I see that a park closes at "dusk", it means, "Hey, don't stay too long after dark, because the neighbors will think you're selling dope"... But the sign probably isn't big enough.

We're all big kids. I think we can probably determine what right and wrong is without the help of an overly ambitious cache owner.

You are not wrong in disliking the rule that prohibits the respectable use and enjoymenet of parks at all hours.
Other folks enjoy our parks and public recreational areas at all hours... with their cardboard box houses and shopping carts who leave laying around their used... well... Oh wait, you said respectable... NM.... :lol:

Sorry, but the owners of caches defining what a FTF is and getting to decide who is FTF is way beyond what I find comfortable. In addition, nowhere in the guidelines or rules (whatever you want to call them) do I find anything that states the cache owner is responsible for enforcing city, county, state, or federal rules. Maybe I missed it somewhere?

Should we as cache finders be able to decide that a cache does not meet certain regulations and also act as judge, jury and executioner by removing the cache in question?

ummmm...no, this would be called theft!

Yopu could always report your concerns to the cache owner or even a reviewer though.

This is how parks deal with the problem of setting a closing time without having to deal with the fact that the earth and other objects move around space and cause all kinds of problems. When I see that a park closes at "dusk", it means, "Hey, don't stay too long after dark, because the neighbors will think you're selling dope"... But the sign probably isn't big enough.

We're all big kids. I think we can probably determine what right and wrong is without the help of an overly ambitious cache owner.

You're right...maybe I shouldn't bother with the speed limits any ore since I'm a "big kid" and can judge what's safe for me to do?

Rules (or in this case LAWS) are in place for a reason, you not liking them or the reason doesn't negate the law. The cache owner didn't make the law, the cache owner is protecting his freedom to place a cache in a park which happens to have hours of operation.

You're right...maybe I shouldn't bother with the speed limits any ore since I'm a "big kid" and can judge what's safe for me to do?

Rules (or in this case LAWS) are in place for a reason, you not liking them or the reason doesn't negate the law. The cache owner didn't make the law, the cache owner is protecting his freedom to place a cache in a park which happens to have hours of operation.

Have you ever gotten in the fast lane to pass someone and have some "private citizen" decide for you that you are going to fast, so they get in the fast lane going 55. That would be a better example here. If I decide that I need to exceed the speed limit in order to pass someone, that's my decision to make. If I get pulled over for doing it, then I have to suffer the consequences. But its not the business nor responsibility of the person I'm passing to stop me from doing it.

It's not the business nor reponsibility of the cache owner to enforce park rules.

Have you ever gotten in the fast lane to pass someone and have some "private citizen" decide for you that you are going to fast, so they get in the fast lane going 55. That would be a better example here. If I decide that I need to exceed the speed limit in order to pass someone, that's my decision to make. If I get pulled over for doing it, then I have to suffer the consequences. But its not the business nor responsibility of the person I'm passing to stop me from doing it.

It's not the business nor reponsibility of the cache owner to enforce park rules.

Maybe you're missing the part where the landowners are the ones who allow the cache owners to place the caches? If a cacher breaks the laws and upsets the owner causing the caches to be banned, then YES, it IS up to the cache owner to enforce laws which protect his/her ability to continue enjoying our sport on the landowner's property.

A greedy cacher certainly shouldn't endanger the cache owner's freedom to place a hide by breaking a law. Talk about selfish!!

Perhaps the cache owner is enforcing the rules of their cache (which they are certainly entitled to do), not trying to enforce park rules.

I dont want to just who's right or wrong, but where do we draw the line at enforcing the laws? What if someone mentions he ran a red light to get to a cache or made an illegal U-Turn? What if someone said he did a cache after happy hour (he might be tipsy in public) The cache should mention there are consequences for finding the cache after hours.

Would either of these actions cause a landowner (in this case a park owner who has hours posted on his property) to ban caching??

Also, I believe the cache DID mention the park hours....and ANY of my caches having hours of operation timeframes mention quite clearly that time is to be honored and violators would have their logs deleted. That's my caches though.

Edited by Rockin Roddy
The cache should mention there are consequences for finding the cache after hours.

The cache owner could have been more specific, but I don't think that the cache owner is obligated to be explicit in this regard. I think that by listing the legal hours of the park, the cache owner's right to delete logs for finds which are known to have taken place when the park was closed is implied.

Also, I believe the cache DID mention the park hours....and ANY of my caches having hours of operation timeframes mention quite clearly that time is to be honored and violators would have their logs deleted. That's my caches though.
Totally agree with this as the future of placing more caches on property managed by whoever manages that park would be in jeopardy, along with the future of that area's geocaching acceptance. And I don't think you need to explain common sense on your cache pages. Cache owners are like home owners and when you visit their property you are under their rules, posted or not. As soon as you enter a log on their cache page that log becomes their property, too.

I have caches in parks that require entrance fees and are totally fenced off and all that is disclosed on the cache page. I don't explicitely state DO NOT BREAK IN or anything like that as I would hope all us "big kids" would know that. If a single cacher jumped the fence after hours and didn't pay the fees to find a cache I am sure the manager would have every cache yanked out before you could blink!

Getting the log deleted is peanuts compared to what might of happened if they got busted violating the county regulations. And as soon as they blurted out "But there's a geocache hidden there, I was just trying to find it" you can scratch geocaching off that county's list of acceptable park activities. Hate to think how bad geocaching would be hurt if people disregarded the rules of the facilities we have caches placed at. Sometimes you have to make examples for the rest of the people to learn by... ask any parent :lol: And from the logs they seemed to of learned from it... will anyone else?

I dont want to just who's right or wrong, but where do we draw the line at enforcing the laws? What if someone mentions he ran a red light to get to a cache or made an illegal U-Turn? What if someone said he did a cache after happy hour (he might be tipsy in public) The cache should mention there are consequences for finding the cache after hours.

If the cache owner actually takes the time to make mention of the park's hours of operation, then common sense would say there are possible repercussions for not adhering to those hours.

Actually, just the fact that the park has posted hours of operation should be enough without it needing to be explicitly posted on the cache listing.

The real problem is common sense isn't as common as it should be.

If the cache owner actually takes the time to make mention of the park's hours of operation, then common sense would say there are possible repercussions for not adhering to those hours.

Actually, just the fact that the park has posted hours of operation should be enough without it needing to be explicitly posted on the cache listing.

The real problem is common sense isn't as common as it should be.

I've cached after hours quite often. Some parks I do, some I don't, depending on the situation. I've NEVER had a problem. Does this mean I'm using my common sense? I guess so. I look at the hours as guidelines, not necessarily rules. Did you know you can get a ticket for going the speed limit? If everyone else around you is going 65 and you are hindering traffic by going 55, you can get a ticket....

Interesting...

And from the logs they seemed to of learned from it... will anyone else?

So are you saying that FTF cachers disregarding park hours is leading to the degradation of geocaching? If so, do you have specific proof that a geocacher caching after a parks hours has led to the degradation of geocaching?

It only degrades your caching if you let it, but that's YOUR choice. I mean come on, this is clearly not a universal problem and only impacts a small number of caches and nobody has given any actual examples of actual degridation related to park hours.

And from the logs they seemed to of learned from it... will anyone else?

So are you saying that FTF cachers disregarding park hours is leading to the degradation of geocaching? If so, do you have specific proof that a geocacher caching after a parks hours has led to the degradation of geocaching?

InfiniteMPG was probably referring to the log on the page:

next time I guess we will have to read the description a little better

Again, I'm not really sure why we are even having this discussion since all the people actually involved seemed to have dealt with it in a cordial and adult manner.

Edited by GeoBain