UT Topo Mapset almost done - help me pick next state...

IndyJpr

I have a fast system that gets all the roads from the new tiger shapefiles and I will be passing that along to him soon and hopefully he can update it. I am processing the Arizona map updates right now. And mississippi only needs a few more data items (the easy ones thankfully).

I will start emailing the FS after I release those maps and settle somewhere (been doing a lot of moving/traveling).

Another good source for Forest Service data is the FSGeodata Clearinghouse

http://fsgeodata.fs.fed.us/clearinghouse/index.html

In an area of the Olympic NF I’ve looked at the TIGER 2007 shapefiles have lots of roads that are long gone. The FS road data is much closer to current road reality.

Anyone found a good source for land cover (woods) in vector format?

I couldn't actually figured out how to get data from that clearinghouse. It never let me select the layers I wanted to downloaded.

And I thought the USGS seamless server had a lot of land cover data.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to IndyJpr? Before I started working on the CO trails and POIs, I emailed him and his geocaching.com profile says he has not logged on since March. I sure hope he is OK.

forums.Groundspeak.com and geocaching.com are different systems.

Some of us don't have a lot of time for spending on forums. He could easily be too busy with work, etc.

Edited by Phoenix2001

Another good source for Forest Service data is the FSGeodata Clearinghouse

http://fsgeodata.fs.fed.us/clearinghouse/index.html

In an area of the Olympic NF I’ve looked at the TIGER 2007 shapefiles have lots of roads that are long gone. The FS road data is much closer to current road reality.

Anyone found a good source for land cover (woods) in vector format?

I couldn't actually figured out how to get data from that clearinghouse. It never let me select the layers I wanted to downloaded.

And I thought the USGS seamless server had a lot of land cover data.

Dan,

Thanks, let's continue the discussion on GPSFileDepot.

Perry

I am getting ready to make my yearly trip to CO in a couple of weeks. The topo maps for CO are outstanding, but trail data is lacking. So I am stepping up to deal with that. I am going to make a transparent trail map that will work with the topo maps and post it at mapcenter. I think having the trails as a seperate layer makes the most sense since there is always new trail data and a trail map is easier to update than the whole map.

I downloaded the data Nationla Park Service has posted. I have also emailed all the National Forests and I am starting to get thier trail data.

I remember somoene saying they had all kinds of GPSed 4wd roads. Whoever that is, can you send me that data to add to the map?

I have not been able to find any trail files for BLM, the state of CO, or the Colorado Trail. Does anyone know where I can get any of this data?

Thanks

I have read this whole thread...I see no reference to where people are putting the maps.

1) so I can get the maps

2) so I can help put maps I have up there (Door Cty WI, a couple 100K sections for IN and MN).

Thanks for cluing me in.

I have read this whole thread...I see no reference to where people are putting the maps.

1) so I can get the maps

2) so I can help put maps I have up there (Door Cty WI, a couple 100K sections for IN and MN).

Thanks for cluing me in.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com

^ lists them all

http://www.miscjunk.org <-- indyjpr's site

can ya do nj,ny and pa topo maps. if i can't find reliable, really nice gps top for the venture hc. i need a topo map that looks like the real thing. either that i am sending the gps and garmin topo 2008 back for my money. thanks. the maps have to look like the real paper topos.