UT Topo Mapset almost done - help me pick next state...

IndyJpr

General observation in looking at different maps/contours on my C400t...

The onboard Topo 2008 has contour intervals at 150ft when zoomed in. Looks like they are just using 2 lines/colors with the 150ft int "brown" like nomal contour line, minor and every 450ft a "black/dark gray" similar thin line.

My puchased WA 24K from above timber has 40ft contours all symbolized the same... thin brown, like contour line, minor.

In playing around with globalmapper, make contours at 40ft, I get typical brown thin line for contour line, minor; brown medium line for contour line, intermediate at 200, 600, 1000, every 400ft; and brown thicker for contour line, major at 0, 400, 800, ... also at every 400ft. Basically this gives a major or intermediate at every 200ft.

Gives some interesting differences to play around with for zoom levels and "viewability" on the 400t screen....

Global mapper seems to "match" paper 24K quad maps the best.

Has anybody come up with what they thought was an optimum symbolization for contours?

Global mapper seems to "match" paper 24K quad maps the best.

Has anybody come up with what they thought was an optimum symbolization for contours?

Keep in mind two things:

1] On your GPS you can put the cursor on any line and it will ID that line, so appearance is no longer as important. For me that's a huge advantage over paper maps.

2] Just because GM looks a certain way doesn't mean you'll get the same look on your GPS, close but not exact.

I am trying to load multiple map img files onto the C400t SD card... MapSource of course writes it out as gmapsupp.img... and the original onboard topo map is on the "Garmin" memory/card area as gmapsrom.img...

I have tried renaming the "extra maps" on the sd card to gsmapupp1.img or gsmapsxxx.img and in either case, only the gsmapsupp.img is ever shown in my C400t map setup list.

Anybody kmow how I can add these "extra" maps on the sd card and to come out on the setup list?

Thanks in advance!

On globalmapper contouring, what tile size are you contouring at a time and what are your contour settings for resolution in arc degrees and simplification value?
I'm gridding to 100K tiles - 1 deg x 1/2 deg. The settings (all default) for GM are:

Resoultion

X: 0.000104605841386575 arc deg

Y: 0.000081169112836251 arc deg

Interpolate... checked

Smooth... checked

Simplification

I also use the "Export Contours Directly to Package Files..." option.

That fixed my issues. The resolution. Mine was defaulting to 9e-05 for both. It must have just worked out once that it decided on a different resolution. Thanks for that.

Last questions for awhile... how do you set the types of all the NHD data at once without overloading the search grid.

Also, what is this dictionary change you are discussing?

I am trying to load multiple map img files onto the C400t SD card... MapSource of course writes it out as gmapsupp.img... and the original onboard topo map is on the "Garmin" memory/card area as gmapsrom.img...

I have tried renaming the "extra maps" on the sd card to gsmapupp1.img or gsmapsxxx.img and in either case, only the gsmapsupp.img is ever shown in my C400t map setup list.

Anybody kmow how I can add these "extra" maps on the sd card and to come out on the setup list?

Thanks in advance!

In mapsource select all the maps you want from the different types of maps. You do need to have them all in mapsource to make it easy although there are other programs that will do it for you (mapsend20 comes to mind).

You probably want to start your own thread for all of this though since this one is mainly discussing the creation of maps.

Hi pasayten_pete,

As far as I know that isn't possible using separate files. Like Oz said you have select all the maps you want and send to GPS. If you add another map you have to repeat the entire process.

You can use the renaming technique you mentioned to save some time. Put all the maps you want into your GPS and backup that gmapsupp.img file. Do wantever stuff you want to do with custom or new maps (which of course overwrites your gmapsupp.img file). When you're done playing with the custom/new maps copy your backed up copy of gmapsupp.img to your GPS - copying is a lot faster than regenerating/resending from MapSource. Every now and then regenerate your main gmapsupp.img file to include any new maps you want to keep on the GPS.

Hope that helps,

Also, how do you restrict data to just the state you're working on. I have the Arizona boundary but there appears to be no way to just end everything at that boundary.
Hi Oz,

Currently I just crop the data to the outermost 100k tile - that does mean some tiles are half full/empty..

Last questions for awhile... how do you set the types of all the NHD data at once without overloading the search grid.
Hi Oz,

Probably not the answer you want but I don't do it in GM, I use another GIS type program that lets me run database SQL type queries/updates like below:

UPDATE nhdwater SET mp_type = "0x51" WHERE ftype = 466;

I have a series of these update statements to do all of the type mapping. It's possilbe to do it in GM but it's not exactly ideal. I believe you mentioned that you had a version of ArcView - I don't know anything about that software but I would guess that it has similar capabilities to what I mentioned.

Hope that helps,

Also, what is this dictionary change you are discussing?
Hi Oz,

GM uses Levels (or Endlevel) statements within each item's definition to specify what levels that item should be displayed on. GM's default settings are OK but you'll eventually want more control over how things are displayed. The optional DICTIONARY section in the header section of the MP file lets you set up zoom/levels on per type (not per item like above) basis. For example you can say that all items with type 0x05 appear on such and such levels. If you want to tweak your zoom/level setup you just change the DICTIONARY section and recompile. With the Levels (or Endlevel) you would have to go back and edit each item's defintion.

Hope this helps, the cGpsMapper manual has a decent section covering the DICTIONARY.

Downloaded the "Feature Test" map to check how the diff lines/symbols differ from spec -> mapsource -> Colorado...

It tried it and it did show following:

0x20 Contour Minor thin brown in ms and same in c400t

0x21 Contour Intermediate brown medium in ms and thin dark gray (near black) in c400t

0x22 Contour Major brown thick in ms and thin dark/gray (near black) in c400t (same as above)

Got test map at http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/FeaturesTest_v1.00_Setup.exe which loads map directly into MapSource

This will help symbolizing many of the other features as well (including polygons).

Probably not the answer you want but I don't do it in GM, I use another GIS type program that lets me run database SQL type queries/updates like below:

I have a series of these update statements to do all of the type mapping. It's possilbe to do it in GM but it's not exactly ideal. I believe you mentioned that you had a version of ArcView - I don't know anything about that software but I would guess that it has similar capabilities to what I mentioned.

Hope that helps,

Actually, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. ArcView definitely allows SQL like statements so I should be able to process it pretty quickly.

GM uses Levels (or Endlevel) statements within each item's definition to specify what levels that item should be displayed on. GM's default settings are OK but you'll eventually want more control over how things are displayed. The optional DICTIONARY section in the header section of the MP file lets you set up zoom/levels on per type (not per item like above) basis. For example you can say that all items with type 0x05 appear on such and such levels. If you want to tweak your zoom/level setup you just change the DICTIONARY section and recompile. With the Levels (or Endlevel) you would have to go back and edit each item's defintion.

Hope this helps, the cGpsMapper manual has a decent section covering the DICTIONARY.

It does help, especially since I think you posted your DICTIONARY in this thread (early on) or one of the other ones about these maps.

As always, thanks.

Hi Oz,

Hope that helps,

What GIS program are you using? I have select queries in ArcGIS but have yet to find a place to do update queries (and I know queries from programming).

What GIS program are you using? I have select queries in ArcGIS but have yet to find a place to do update queries (and I know queries from programming).
Hi Oz,

I'm using Manifold System. It's kind of an odd thing and I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone...

Anyone know of a good way to merge shapefiles?

I opened all of the NHD flowline data as a catalog in global mapper, then when i try to export it as a shapefile i keep getting an "unknown error". Its annoying me a lot.

Oz,

Can not help you on your method. What I did this weekend was to put 60 100K files in a folder. Then used 'file / open all files in a directory tree'. Then 'export vector data / export shapefile'; once for to area, then to line, then to point. If you only wanted the data from the flowline files you could do 'tool / control center' and delete all the non-flowline files. A lot of work as their are 11 files (if I remember correctly) per 100K quad.

Mark

I opened all of the NHD flowline data as a catalog in global mapper, then when i try to export it as a shapefile i keep getting an "unknown error". Its annoying me a lot.

Oz,

Can not help you on your method. What I did this weekend was to put 60 100K files in a folder. Then used 'file / open all files in a directory tree'. Then 'export vector data / export shapefile'; once for to area, then to line, then to point. If you only wanted the data from the flowline files you could do 'tool / control center' and delete all the non-flowline files. A lot of work as their are 11 files (if I remember correctly) per 100K quad.

Mark

I used the catalog option to only load the flow lines. I wonder if there is an error in one of the files...

A useful tool for general GIS manipulation/transformation is ogr2ogr. It's open source, it has great support for shapefiles, and it has a mode that allows you to execute sql-type statements that I think may allow you to do an update operation such as adding the mp_type (maybe, haven't confirmed).

The web page is www.gdal.org.

Thanks for that. i will look into it heavily tomorrow.

Hmm, command line, this could take a bit.

Edited by -Oz-

Hi Oz,

What version of GM do you have? I've been doing a lot merging and haven't seen any errors.

What version of GM do you have? I've been doing a lot merging and haven't seen any errors.

9.01. I loaded all the flowlines by opening each folder and hand selecting them and I was able to export as a shapefile no problem. What I make a catalog and tell it only to get "NHDFlowline.shp" and then try to export when I go to bounds I get:

North 1 0 West

South 0 1 East

I think thats the issue. Those bounds aren't right (even if I leave it as all data loaded) so it freaks out. I'm gonna experiment a little more because I really don't want to load all the data by hand to re-export it.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my contours to generate <_<

A useful tool for general GIS manipulation/transformation is ogr2ogr. It's open source, it has great support for shapefiles, and it has a mode that allows you to execute sql-type statements that I think may allow you to do an update operation such as adding the mp_type (maybe, haven't confirmed).

The web page is www.gdal.org.

This actually worked out quite nicely.

I made a quick .bat file and just drag and drop what I need combined and then its done. Its nice and fast. For anyone who might want to use it here is the bat file:

cd c:\gps_maps\arizona_topo\nhd
"C:\Program Files\FWTools2.1.0\bin\ogr2ogr" -update -append merged_file.shp %1 -nln merged_file

Change the cd command to wherever you are storing your merged file. You can change merged_file as well to change the name of the file its being merged with.

Also, I think I will be using PostGIS to do the sql queries on these files. http://postgis.refractions.net

Processing NHD Data

I decided to use the bat file above to combine all my shapefiles from the NHD into one for each type. One waterbody, one area, and one flowline for the entire state.

I then downloaded PostGIS [http://postgis.refractions.net/] and set it up with PostgreSQL.

I then started processing the files with the following generic directions to load the data:

To load files:

shp2pgsql SHAPEFILE TABLE > FILENAME.sql

psql -d DATABASE -h localhost -U postgres -f FILENAME.sql

Replace SHAPEFILE with the shapefile name (leave off the .shp). Replace table with what you want the table to be called. If you want to use the queries I have below call the NHD area table "area", flowline table "flowline", and waterbody table "waterbody. Replace FILENAME with whatever the sql file name should be. (The sql file for my flowline data was almost 1gb but it processed just fine).

Then I edit the table so that it has the MP_TYPE which Global Mapper can use when exporting to the .mp file:

Edit structure:

ALTER TABLE tablename ADD COLUMN mp_type character varying(50);

ALTER TABLE tablename ALTER COLUMN mp_type SET STORAGE EXTENDED;

Now I wrote a series of queries that process all the data for each type. I kept intermittent water because in Arizona most of it is and that data is important.

Flowline queries:

DELETE FROM flowline WHERE fcode = '33600' or fcode = '33601' or fcode = '33602' or fcode = '42000' or fcode = '33400';
DELETE FROM flowline WHERE fcode >= '42800' and fcode <= '42850';
UPDATE flowline SET mp_type = '0x18' WHERE fcode = '55800' or fcode = '46000' or fcode = '46006';
UPDATE flowline SET mp_type = '0x15' WHERE fcode = '56600';
UPDATE flowline SET mp_type = '0x26' WHERE fcode = '46003';

Waterbody Queries:

DELETE FROM waterbody WHERE fcode >='43600' AND fcode <='43626';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x4d' WHERE fcode = '37800';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x40' WHERE fcode = '49300';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x41' WHERE fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x40' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 0.25 and areasqkm < 11;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x3f' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 11 and areasqkm < 25;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x3e' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 25 and areasqkm < 77;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x3d' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 77 and areasqkm < 250;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x3c' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 250 and areasqkm < 600;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x44' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 600 and areasqkm < 1100;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x43' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 1100 and areasqkm < 3300;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x42' WHERE (fcode = '39004' OR fcode = '39009' OR fcode = '39010' OR fcode = '39011' OR fcode = '39012') and areasqkm >= 3300;
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x4c' WHERE fcode = '39001' OR fcode = '39005' OR fcode = '39006';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x51' WHERE fcode = '46600';
UPDATE waterbody SET mp_type = '0x53' WHERE fcode = '36100';

Area Queries:

DELETE FROM area WHERE fcode = '53700' or fcode = '30700' or fcode = '31800' or fcode = '34300' or fcode = '34305' or fcode = '34306' or fcode = '36400' or fcode = '37300' or fcode = '56800' or fcode = '43100' or fcode = '45400' or fcode = '45401' or fcode = '45402' or fcode = '45403' or fcode = '45404' or fcode = '46100' or fcode = '48500' or fcode = '40300' or fcode = '40307' or fcode = '40308' or fcode = '40309';
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x28' WHERE fcode = '31200' or fcode='44500';
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x49' WHERE fcode = '33600' or fcode = '33601' or fcode = '33602'; 
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x3b' WHERE fcode = '36200' or fcode='39800' or fcode='45500';
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x49' WHERE fcode = '46000' or fcode = '46006';
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x46' WHERE WHERE (fcode = 46000 or fcode = 46006) and areasqkm >= 15;
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x47' WHERE WHERE (fcode = 46000 or fcode = 46006) and areasqkm >= 10 and areasqkm < 15;
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x48' WHERE WHERE (fcode = 46000 or fcode = 46006) and areasqkm >= 2 and areasqkm < 10;
UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x4c' WHERE fcode = '46003' or fcode='48400';

I ran these queries in the pgAdmin III program that came with postgreSQL.

I then exported them from the database back to shape files:

pgsql2shp -f SHAPEFILE -u postgres DATABASE TABLE

I then opened each shapefile in Global Mapper, told it to use the gnis_name for naming and had to set the projection (NAD83).

I exported them as shapefiles again and they are now ready to be .mp files. Hopefully this helps anyone out there who is processing. It was fast after I wrote the queries.

Edited by -Oz-
Processing NHD Data

I decided to use the bat file above to combine all my shapefiles from the NHD into one for each type. One waterbody, one area, and one flowline for the entire state.

I then downloaded PostGIS [http://postgis.refractions.net/] and set it up with PostgreSQL.

Thank you Oz for sharing - your info got me up and running very quickly...

I just wanted to share a few tips/tricks in case others are using this. If you have several different fcodes with different ftypes you can simplify the query from this:

UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x3b' WHERE fcode = 36200 OR fcode = 39800 OR fcode = 45500;

to this:

UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x3b' WHERE fcode IN (36200, 39800, 45500);

If you have several different fcodes with the same ftype (meaning the first 3 numbers of the fcode are the same) you can simplify the query from this:

UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x49' WHERE fcode = 33600 OR fcode = 33601 OR fcode = 33602;

to this:

UPDATE area SET mp_type = '0x49' WHERE FLOOR(fcode/100) = 336;

Thanks again Oz!

I have dumped the shapefile attribute dbf file into MS Access and tweaked them. Also have done them in MS Excel if memory allowed it.

You could also go the MySQL route which can also handle dbf attribute files.

pasayten_pete,

How is Oregon coming along? Is there anything I can do to help? Let me know!

--Bill

Great project to see so many people working on the same goal. If anyone on the east coast wants to join in, I'd be glad to work with a few people on creating some additional state maps.

Wondering if anyone can help with a question I have though. I'm using GPSMapEdit mainly for working with the maps after Dem2Topo, and am having trouble figuring out what is 'the best' level/zoom setup that I should use. I have Topo2008, and the minor contour lines are shown for my area all the way out to the .5mi view. Seems no matter what I set the levels to in GPSMapEdit... I lose the minor contour lines well before then.

Anyone have similar results that can make a recommendation on config?

Wondering if anyone can help with a question I have though. I'm using GPSMapEdit mainly for working with the maps after Dem2Topo, and am having trouble figuring out what is 'the best' level/zoom setup that I should use. I have Topo2008, and the minor contour lines are shown for my area all the way out to the .5mi view. Seems no matter what I set the levels to in GPSMapEdit... I lose the minor contour lines well before then.
Hi FoolishGPS,

The current zoom/level settings that I use for contours is:

Major contours come on at Level=20 (MapSource scale = 2 mi)

Inter contours come on at Level=22 (MapSource scale = 0.5 mi)

Minor contours come on at Level=23 (MapSource scale = 0.2 mi)

The MapSource detail is medium for the above numbers. I don't have any GPS info handy...

Hope that helps,

My map wouldn't compile and I finally figured out that some of my GNIS points where type=Unknown...

Its the lines that are Unknown that is causing crashes so I have to find where that is coming from.

But anyway, to fix the GNIS I wrote queries to quickly process everything:

UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x2F04' WHERE type LIKE 'airport';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6601' WHERE type LIKE 'arch';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6602' WHERE type LIKE 'area';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6501' WHERE type LIKE 'arroyo';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6502' WHERE type LIKE 'bar';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6603' WHERE type LIKE 'basin';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6503' WHERE type LIKE 'bay';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6605' WHERE type LIKE 'bench';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6401' WHERE type LIKE 'bridge';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6505' WHERE type LIKE 'canal';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6606' WHERE type LIKE 'cape';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6403' WHERE type LIKE 'cemetery';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6404' WHERE type LIKE 'church';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6607' WHERE type LIKE 'cliff';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6406' WHERE type LIKE 'crossing';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x5500' WHERE type LIKE 'dam';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6508' WHERE type LIKE 'falls';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x660B' WHERE type LIKE 'gap';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x3002' WHERE type LIKE 'hospital';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x650C' WHERE type LIKE 'island';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x660E' WHERE type LIKE 'lava';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x640A' WHERE type LIKE 'locale';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x640C' WHERE type LIKE 'mine';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x640E' WHERE type LIKE 'park';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6610' WHERE type LIKE 'plain';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x0D00' WHERE type LIKE 'populated place';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6611' WHERE type LIKE 'range';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x650E' WHERE type LIKE 'rapids';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x650F' WHERE type LIKE 'reservoir';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6613' WHERE type LIKE 'ridge';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x2C05' WHERE type LIKE 'school';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6615' WHERE type LIKE 'slope';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6511' WHERE type LIKE 'spring';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6616' WHERE type LIKE 'summit';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6513' WHERE type LIKE 'swamp';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6411' WHERE type LIKE 'tower';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6412' WHERE type LIKE 'trail';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6413' WHERE type LIKE 'tunnel';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6617' WHERE type LIKE 'valley';
UPDATE gnis SET mp_type='0x6414' WHERE type LIKE 'well';

Edited by -Oz-

My map wouldn't compile and I finally figured out that some of my GNIS points where type=Unknown...

Its the lines that are Unknown that is causing crashes so I have to find where that is coming from.

GM does not relate all the GNIS types to an mp_type. You need to write a conversion as you did for the NHD codes (as you included). Since you do not have a conversion for all the GNIS type, I assume you chose not to include them or that no feature with that code existed in your area(AZ). Note: the code you used for cemetery (0x1a) is for a polygon feature, the point cemetery code is 0x6403. Since 0x1a is not listed in the cgpsmapper manual as a point code, cgpsmapper may need a type file to define it.

Unknown feature types should not be a problem. Using USGS 1:24000 SDTS DLG data and GM defaults, I did not have any problem with cgpsmapper (version 9.02? from last fall) creating .img files with thousands of unknown points, lines and areas. After finding out what these were, I deleted many of them (and redifined others to GM types) before creating the .mp files.

GM does not relate all the GNIS types to an mp_type. You need to write a conversion as you did for the NHD codes (as you included). Since you do not have a conversion for all the GNIS type, I assume you chose not to include them or that no feature with that code existed in your area(AZ). Note: the code you used for cemetery (0x1a) is for a polygon feature, the point cemetery code is 0x6403. Since 0x1a is not listed in the cgpsmapper manual as a point code, cgpsmapper may need a type file to define it.

Unknown feature types should not be a problem. Using USGS 1:24000 SDTS DLG data and GM defaults, I did not have any problem with cgpsmapper (version 9.02? from last fall) creating .img files with thousands of unknown points, lines and areas. After finding out what these were, I deleted many of them (and redifined others to GM types) before creating the .mp files.

Good catch on the wrong code for cemetery. It didn't have a problem with unknown point features but it did with unknown line types. Each time cgpsmapper tried to compile it would error and say something like "type cannot be zero".

Each time cgpsmapper tried to compile it would error and say something like "type cannot be zero".

Do you have any roads coded as 0x0. This is not a code in the cgpsmapper manual, but some people were using it for roads for some time, but the latest version of cgpsmapper no longer supports a 0x0 code - I read this either here or in the map-authors forum a few weeks ago. Sounds like a invalid mp_type code.

Do you have any roads coded as 0x0. This is not a code in the cgpsmapper manual, but some people were using it for roads for some time, but the latest version of cgpsmapper no longer supports a 0x0 code - I read this either here or in the map-authors forum a few weeks ago. Sounds like a invalid mp_type code.

I didn't have them directly coded as 0x0 but I think it made the Type=Unknown Line Type a 0x0 then errored itself. I remade all the .mp files (well, almost remade them, a few are left). So we'll see how this set goes.

I am getting ready to make my yearly trip to CO in a couple of weeks. The topo maps for CO are outstanding, but trail data is lacking. So I am stepping up to deal with that. I am going to make a transparent trail map that will work with the topo maps and post it at mapcenter. I think having the trails as a seperate layer makes the most sense since there is always new trail data and a trail map is easier to update than the whole map.

I downloaded the data Nationla Park Service has posted. I have also emailed all the National Forests and I am starting to get thier trail data.

I remember somoene saying they had all kinds of GPSed 4wd roads. Whoever that is, can you send me that data to add to the map?

I have not been able to find any trail files for BLM, the state of CO, or the Colorado Trail. Does anyone know where I can get any of this data?

Thanks

I am intending this as a transparent overlay for his CO topo maps. I beleive his topo maps have that road data in them. What they are missing is trail data and some road data. I recall somoene saying thier club had GPSed 4wd roads - that is what I am asking about as I could easily add it to my map.

I just posted the first version:

http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/maplist.php?id=10788

It should compile sometime this evening. I have all the NPS data (but have not looked at roads to see if they are on the topo map and lots of their data was in e00 which is a pain to convert to shapefile). I have some National Forests but have more to get. So there should be much more trail data soon. I've checked what I have in my map and I have not found any of it in the miscjunk CO topo map. So this should go a long way to fixing the lack of trails on the map.

If anyone else has CO data for the map, let me know.

<snip>

I have all the NPS data (but have not looked at roads to see if they are on the topo map and lots of their data was in e00 which is a pain to convert to shapefile).

<snip>

ogr2ogr is your friend (www.gdal.org). Easy conversion between a wide variety of GIS formats.

I looked at the site and all I found were things for raster conversions. But I could have missed it. The way I deal with .e00 files is I have an old (3.0) version of ArcView. I use the Import Utility to convert the files (which is a pain). The import utility creates files I can import into ArcView as a theme. I then save the theme as a shapefile. Then I add it in GPSmapedit. It works but is time consuming and a pain. Is there a better way out there?

The CO topo maps seemed to be missing lots of the geographic POI classes. So I made a POI map that has the types of POIs that do not appear to be on the CO topos. The result of the 3 maps is looking really good.

<snip>

I have all the NPS data (but have not looked at roads to see if they are on the topo map and lots of their data was in e00 which is a pain to convert to shapefile).

<snip>

ogr2ogr is your friend (www.gdal.org). Easy conversion between a wide variety of GIS formats.

I looked at the site and all I found were things for raster conversions. But I could have missed it. The way I deal with .e00 files is I have an old (3.0) version of ArcView. I use the Import Utility to convert the files (which is a pain). The import utility creates files I can import into ArcView as a theme. I then save the theme as a shapefile. Then I add it in GPSmapedit. It works but is time consuming and a pain. Is there a better way out there?

Just download and install the gdal package. ogr2ogr is part of those tools. A lot of the toolkit (the GDAL part) is focused on bitmaps but ogr2ogr is for vector data. It's a command-line tool, but once you get the arguments figured out (it's not too hard), conversion is quick and relatively easy. It can also reproject into whatever coordinate system you need at the same time (that's the -t option). If you have more than a couple files to work with, it's definitely worth your time to learn it.

What POI points are missing (to make sure I don't miss them in my Arizona update or other maps I'm working on).

The CO topos only have a few categories of POIs: Summits, mines, cemeteries, and waterfalls. Most other categories are missing. So I just took the POI file from ExpertGPS and map a map with the categories I did not see on the CO topos.

Have you been getting data from the Forest Service and NPS for your maps? Some National Parks have some rather interesting data. For example, I was able to get the location of every building in Rocky MT NP. Nice to have where the patrol cabins, pit tolits etc are. They also had GPSed locations for all back country campgrounds. But some had hardly anything for the park.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to IndyJpr? Before I started working on the CO trails and POIs, I emailed him and his geocaching.com profile says he has not logged on since March. I sure hope he is OK.

I definitely have more categories in my maps (locales, populated places, rapids, springs, etc.).

I haven't gotten any data from the FS except the little that was available on their website. How are you getting this data?

I also haven't heard anything from IndyJpr.

First Federal Agencies are required by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to provide this data free for NON COMMERICAL use. The National Office of the Forest Service has directed that the GIS data be given away even for commercial use. FOIA also requires them to give you the data in the format you choose. After the National Office decided how to deal with GIS data, I only had a problem with one National Forest (Land Between the Lakes) and an email message to the Regional FOIA Officer got it resolved the next day. So there should not be any problem getting data from the Forest Service. If anyone has trouble getting data from the FS let me know and I can help.

First I check to see what is on their website. Most don't have anything. One NF in CO had it in some .mdb files that I could not do anything with. But I emailed them and they sent it to me in shapefiles.

If it is not on the website, look to see if they have an email listing for the GIS or FOIA coordinator. If so, email them and ask them what all GIS data they have. Then have them send the data to you. If there is not an email listing for the FOIA or GIS coordinator, use the general contact. You can also just call them-start with the GIS coordinator.

I've been running into a significant problem with the CO Topo maps: there are lots of problems with the roads. Many are missing-even paved roads in City Navigator. But there does not seem to be any type of road that does not show up. It just seems random. That makes it very hard to get the missing road data in a transparent overlay. Not sure how I will deal with it-but it is a pretty big problem. Any suggestions?

Personally, I wish these great maps were also available as transparent layers that you could use over City Navigator (or that free version being discussed on another thread) so you get street navigation and don't have to switch maps. You can have one layer of hydrology and topo, one layer of POIs, and one layer of trails and roads not in City Navigator. And having a map that has everything together is great for looking at in MapSource. Is it a big deal to make the maps like that? One advantage of a transparent trail layer is it is much easier to update it than the entire map.

So there should not be any problem getting data from the Forest Service.

FYI - The GIS coordinator for our NF region mentioned last fall that the FS is currently doing a nation wide assesment of road usage to be finished in 2008. Earlier this week, I got the data for those which had finished. He mentioned that some of the local forests are currently reworking their road numbers but not all the the signage in the field has been changed yet. Yes we have a right to the data, but sometimes it would not be very useful to imediately get outdated files.

I've been running into a significant problem with the CO Topo maps: there are lots of problems with the roads. Many are missing-even paved roads in City Navigator. But there does not seem to be any type of road that does not show up. It just seems random. That makes it very hard to get the missing road data in a transparent overlay. Not sure how I will deal with it-but it is a pretty big problem. Any suggestions?

IndyJpr used road data from CDOT. Their metadata only says when they made the file from their mainframe database - nothing about the true source, scale, age of data or how they might have modified it. To me it looks like BTS data (who added names to the 100K USGS data, but did not include trails, etc). In many areas the street names are actual names in one direction, but appear to be internal codes for streets at right angles to those. Their reason to exist is highways, so I doubt they can spend much effort on the other types of 'roads'.

I tried putting the FS data in a seperate wide-area file, but the regular quad data has been drawing over it, so it ususally does not look very good; and any polygons in the base data files (vegetation, land ownership) will completely hide it. To remove the base road data line-by-line would take a lot of time. Census data for FS roads can be right-on, 100's of feet away, or not-exist. Any suggestions (me too)?