Vista Hcx -- bogus tracks!

ergomaniac

I’ve just noticed that my Vista Hcx puts down track points BEFORE it has a satellite lock!!

I’ve done a bit of testing and observed the following:

When I turn on my GPS, several tracks are created even BEOFRE a bar shows on the satellite page. These are usually zero length tracks that are placed at the last geographic location that was recorded on the GPS (ie. If I was hiking 5 miles from home and turned off my GPS before coming home – when I turn on the GPS at home, it places track points at my previous location (5 miles away) and eventually joins a 5 mile track section to my actual location once the GPS gets a satellite fix).

Turning the GPS on and off right away (only letting the GPS get to the banner screen) is still logging bogus track points!!

I also turned the GPS receiver OFF, cleared all track points and left the GPS on for a bit. When I upload the tracks to Mapsource (GPS receiver has never been on) I get a track!!

It’s only one point but why would I get any points when the receiver is off?

The easiest test is to turn on the GPS in a place where you know it can’t get a lock and immediately turn off the receiver before you even see a hollow satellite bar on the satellite page. I still get a couple of tracks. You just have to check the time on the track properties to see when it was logged.

I’d like to know if this is just my Vista Hcx that is doing this or if it’s a bug. Considering the fact that Garmin has had a ton of problems with odometer and track distances I suspect this is a bug that is contributing to the problem.

I’ve never had this happen with my GPSMap60Cx, it doesn’t put down tracks until it actually gets a satellite lock.

I’d appreciate input from other Vista HCx owners regarding this issue.

I have my track recording interval set to most/auto.

I've noticed something very similar with the VistaHCx, if I turn the unit off 10-30miles from my current location then when I turn it on sometimes I get tracks that connect my old location with my new. I also had this odd behavior a couple times with my VistaCx.

The only thing I can think of it must be recording tracks when it has very poor signal lock, so poor that it still thinks its where it was last time it had lock. Seems to me that if the unit has a poor lock the track it records is going to be pretty useless anyway, so why not make the unit require +/- 100ft accuracy(maybe better) before it starts recording a tracklog.

I believe that my 60Cx does something similar with auto-routing calculation, if I to a follow-road goto before I have initial satellite lock the unit doesn't calculate until it gets +/- 72ft claimed accuracy.

Every Garmin gps I have owned (over 12 years) records track data, regardless of satelite signal.

When I switch the unit on, it records the last known position. When it receives satellite data, it then creates a new track.

At least it is easy enough to delete the extra tracks in Mapsource, although it is annoying that I should have to do that.

Ivan

A bad lock is one thing but when no bars are showing or when the GPS receiver is turned off, you shouldn't get a track!

Go to your satellite page, select menu and select "Use with GPS off". Clear your track log and then download your tracks into Mapsource... you obviously shouldn't have any tracks but I still get a track point! This isn't a bad satellite fix it's bad coding by Garmin. You definitely don't have a satellite fix.

The problem here is that if you have a bogus point like the one described above it can easily skew your odometer reading. If my GPS gets a lock after putting down this bogus point and draws a track leg to a point five miles away when the time interval is only a few seconds, my max speed is going to be pretty high and the distance travelled will be wrong. I see both of these errors frequently on my odometer (although the odometer seems a bit better after the last software release, but max speed is still bad). I'm sure these bad track points must factor into the odometer errors.

The Vista HCx has a barometric altimeter. It will log trackpoints to the tracklog so that you can get a pressure graph when the GPS receiver is OFF (unit is ON of course). Most of the Garmin receivers with a barometric altimeter do this.

I also have a GPSmap 76S. It has a command in the setup menu to turn OFF the barometric altimeter. When this setting is set to OFF , the 76S won't log trackpoints to the active log when the GPS receiver is OFF . When this setting is set to ON , the 76S will also log points with the GPS receiver OFF . The Vista HCx doesn't have this setting. The altimeter is ON all the time. When the GPS receiver is OFF, it is logging current elevation values at the last location so you can get a atmospheric pressure graph.

The Vista HCx has a barometric altimeter. It will log trackpoints to the tracklog so that you can get a pressure graph when the GPS receiver is OFF (unit is ON of course). Most of the Garmin receivers with a barometric altimeter do this.

I also have a GPSmap 76S. It has a command in the setup menu to turn OFF the barometric altimeter. When this setting is set to OFF , the 76S won't log trackpoints to the active log when the GPS receiver is OFF . When this setting is set to ON , the 76S will also log points with the GPS receiver OFF . The Vista HCx doesn't have this setting. The altimeter is ON all the time. When the GPS receiver is OFF, it is logging current elevation values at the last location so you can get a atmospheric pressure graph.

Thanks for the info, that would explain why my GPSMap60Cx doesn't do this, it doesn't have the altimeter.

Now I really wish I'd bought the Legend Hcx!! I find the bogus tracks really annoying and the only reason I bought the Vista instead of the Legend was that the price was almost the same (I didn't really care about the "extra features" that the Vista offers although I'm starting to like the electronic compass...). Now if anybody asks me which one to buy I'll tell them to buy the Legend Hcx.

If you go to the "tracks" menu, you will see "track log ON" and "track log OFF"--click the track log "off" and you won't have that problem--I started doing this because anytime i turned the unit on it would track--whenever i am ready to hike it is a simple matter to turn the track log back on-don't know any other way around it---

If you go to the "tracks" menu, you will see "track log ON" and "track log OFF"--click the track log "off" and you won't have that problem--I started doing this because anytime i turned the unit on it would track--whenever i am ready to hike it is a simple matter to turn the track log back on-don't know any other way around it---

Bingo!

Imho, bogus track points are an artifact of operator error and not the fault of the equipment.

Bingo!

Imho, bogus track points are an artifact of operator error and not the fault of the equipment.

If bogus track points were produced on all Garmin GPS's then I'd accept that I'm fighting against designed funtionality and that would make it operator error. Since the bogus track points don't show up on my GPSMap60Cx I'll will continue to assume that it's a sloppy implementation by Garmin with their Etrex series (and others?).

Giving me a work-around that hides the problem isn't an answer to me.

How many times have you gone on an outing and forgotten to turn your track logging back on? For me, turning track points off is just too risky. I rely on those tracks to get home!

Edited by ergomaniac

[if bogus track points were produced on all Garmin GPS's then I'd accept that I'm fighting against designed funtionality and that would make it operator error. Since the bogus track points don't show up on my GPSMap60Cx I'll will continue to assume that it's a sloppy implementation by Garmin with their Etrex series (and others?).

How many times have you gone on an outing and forgotten to turn your track logging back on? For me, turning track points off is just too risky. I rely on those tracks to get home!

I don't turn track logging OFF because I've forgotten to turn it back ON and, because my primary use is mapping trails, the track log is very important.

IMHO, I agree - it's a sloppy implementation. The Vista should at least have the ON/OFF setting that the 76S has. All the barometric models should also have a "Use GPS Elevation" / "Use Altimeter Elevation" setting. On a gusty/windy day with a fairly clear view of the sky, the GPS elevation is better than the barometric altimeter - wind gusts send the elevation up and down. The barometric altimeter can also be a problem in pressurized cabins although some models will use the GPS elevation instead of the barometric when there is a great difference between them.

[Edit]...

I always clear the track log just before heading out on a hike. That gets rid of any bogus points at the beginning. At the end, I usually turn the unit OFF. When the tracks are downloaded, the hike is usually in one log and any following logs in the track list are short and a result of the barometric logging. I usually view them to make sure and then just delete them.

Edited by Phoenix2001

Why do you care??? How are these extra log points hurting you. The units have basically unlimitted track log storage, so it does not matter.

It is continuing to log so that you can see the pressure trending.

It becomes a problem for me when the bogus track points join up with my current location and produce a very long track leg that is part of my current track. It's not a big deal in Mapsource but when I'm navigating on the small GPS screen the extra (bogus) tracks can cause confusion.

I got this response from Garmin:

"I am happy to help you with this. This is a known issue and is

attributed to the high sensitivity receiver and what is known as drift.

Garmin is working to resolve the issue. "

The response from Garmin would suggest that I'm not the only one that finds this annoying.

Has anybody with a GPS60Csx had this happen? The altimeter/barometer causing the problem sounds reasonable but I've never heard the complaint from anybody using the 60Csx.

I got this response from Garmin:

"I am happy to help you with this. This is a known issue and is

attributed to the high sensitivity receiver and what is known as drift.

Garmin is working to resolve the issue. "

The response from Garmin would suggest that I'm not the only one that finds this annoying.

You have complained about it recording trackpoints with the GPS receiver OFF. This has nothing to do with the "high sensitivity receiver". The tech. support person didn't understand what you were complaining about.

Edited by Phoenix2001

Has anybody with a GPS60Csx had this happen? The altimeter/barometer causing the problem sounds reasonable but I've never heard the complaint from anybody using the 60Csx.

No, ....but I use the track on/off button. So I couldn't say for sure. When I first got it and not using the on/off method, it would connect the distant tracks with a straight line, but I don't recall any extra points being added, but then again, I didn't pay much attention to whether or not if there was anything extra there. So, no real help to you, sorry to say!

You have complained about it recording trackpoints with the GPS receiver OFF. This has nothing to do with the "high sensitivity receiver". The tech. support person didn't understand what you were complaining about.

The complaint I sent to Garmin was regarding the problem with track lines connecting my current position to points that were placed in the wrong location at startup (before the GPS acquires a signal lock). I described this in my initial post.

I don't care if the points are being placed to support the altimeter or if it's a high sensitivity receiver problem... I'm just glad to hear that they have acknowledged there is a problem and they are trying to resolve the issue. I'm also relieved to hear that it's not just a problem with my unit.

Bingo!

If bogus track points were produced on all Garmin GPS's then I'd accept that I'm fighting against designed funtionality and that would make it operator error. Since the bogus track points don't show up on my GPSMap60Cx I'll will continue to assume that it's a sloppy implementation by Garmin with their Etrex series (and others?).

Ergo,

Just a thought. I think you're being a little bit too critical. The solution offered wasn't a workaround, it was a proper use of the equipment. If you want to lay tracks down, turn the capability on. If you don't want to lay the tracks down, turn the capability off.

I appreciate that you rely on your unit to get you home. If, in fact, that's the case, then remember when it's important to turn tracks on or turn tracks off.

Have a great day!

G

I really don't know how to "solve" the OP's GPSr problem, but I believe the operative word is "DUH"....... because there is no GPSr problem.

The problem is an operator problem......not knowing how to operate the equipment to achieve the desired results, not willing to experiment long enough to learn how and not willing to learn/accept suggestions.

It shouldn't take arguing thru 19 posts to come to the solution.

After you turn your unit on and when you come to the position you want to start your track, then clear the track log. When you come to the end , there will be no extra points.

At the end of that track, either turn your unit off or "save" that track and go back home and download to your PC.

Or, if you choose to NOT save the first track and turn your unit off and then back on at another location to travel a second track , you will have to learn how to edit tracks to remove the straight lines. The GPSr is just "continuing" the first track, and is working exactly as it should.

If you "save" a track, the saved track is limited to 500 trackpoints and elevation(and speed ?) data is stripped away.(the "Active Log" will still have ALL data)

As far as Garmin acknowledging that there is a problem, that is very likely a case of not receiving adequate information/description to make an informed assessment of the situation.

Edited by Grasscatcher

After you turn your unit on and when you come to the position you want to start your track, then clear the track log. When you come to the end , there will be no extra points.

At the end of that track, either turn your unit off or "save" that track and go back home and download to your PC.

Or, if you choose to NOT save the first track and turn your unit off and then back on at another location to travel a second track , you will have to learn how to edit tracks to remove the straight lines. The GPSr is just "continuing" the first track, and is working exactly as it should.

ok so your saying there isn't a problem? if you have the unit logging tracks to the data card there end up being hundereds of errors logged so clear the track log before each time i want to record a track isn't a viable solution. also If I save the track it strips all the important data and makes the tracklog useless for my use.

your explanation of the gpsr continuing the first track makes sense, that's exactly how all my magellan gps worked. With every garmin I have had if you power the unit off and turn it back on it starts a new track. NONE of my garmins except for my VistaHCx and VistaCx have this strange lines from the old location behavior. I use my 60cx and legendC and never have this.

Yes I can edit the tracklog to remove these errors, but I shouldn't have to, my work around is if I spot the problem right away I just turn the unit off and on again to start a new track.

I really don't know how to "solve" the OP's GPSr problem, but I believe the operative word is "DUH"....... because there is no GPSr problem.

It's people like me with our "DUH" ideas that keep putting pressure on Garmin to write software upgrades for their units. If we all relied on work-arounds we'd never see any improvements in their products!

To illustrate the problem (for the non-believers) I've attached an image of an unedited GPX file that was stored on my media card. The track displayed in the image is the result of 2.8 mile walk that I went on. The second leg of my track (the first two are the bogus track legs at startup) is 6.3 miles long and my leg speed for that segment is listed at 22,675 mph. (I'm a fast walker!!). If you think this didn't skew my odometer reading well guess again... my average walking speed was listed at 11 mph (I guess I slowed a little after attaining 22 thousand mph on the second leg but 11 mph for a walk sounds a bit high to me).

You can call this operator error... I'll call it a bug (and thankfully, Garmin is working on it).

bogustrack_9.jpg

Ergo & Hogrod,

I'll stick with my earlier description of the problem....

Hogrod, If you are logging the track to the card, when you clear the tracklog, it does not clear the the track on the card, it just leaves the previous file and starts a new GPX file. Try it and you will see that I'm correct. As you said, turning the unit off and back on will also cause it to start a new file, but it may also log some "extra" points in goofy places while it is trying to aquire a fix......and THAT is what you don't want.

Ergo, Your example is totally irrelevant because you didn't clear the tracklog immediately before starting to log the track. Your example is from when you were previously doing it incorrectly. If you continue to do things the same way, you'll keep getting the same results. If you had cleared the tracklog, after attaining a good "fix", then those two points would not be there. In this case, if you just delete those first two TP, the track and your log is fixed.

During your hike, if you stop and rest (stationary)for a while with the unit left on, you may also find that the unit may log some "extra" random points. THAT is the result that is due to the sensitivity of the new "X" chip.

If you like the ability to retain "lock" under heavy cover (which IMHO is more important), then the random points while stopped are a minor trade off.

Especially if you understand what caused them and how to edit them.

Just FYI, MapSource handles the data this way, NG TOPO handles it differently, and Expert GPS handles it in an even different way yet.

The point is, is it a Garmin MapSource problem, or a Garmin GPSr problem? Because, when you take exactly the same data and it is handled slightly differently in multiple software programs, Who Knows? and as easy as it is to fix.....Who Cares.

(This is tongue in cheek) Maybe part of the problem is lack of altitude. You 'bout don't have some! 200 ft elevation!!!

(My house is at 8725 elevation)

Edited by Grasscatcher

I've been following this thread with interest since I plan to buy a Vista or Legend HCX soon. It seems all the confusion over exteraneous tracks/track points are due to the Vista collecting barometric trackpoints while the unit is shut off. Can someone comment on what value having the gps operate this way is? Does anyone even use the barometric altimeter after the first few weeks of playing with the features?

Edited by geoprincesss
I've been following this thread with interest since I plan to buy a Vista or Legend HCX soon. It seems all the confusion over exteraneous tracks/track points are due to the Vista collecting barometric trackpoints while the unit is shut off. Can someone comment on what value having the gps operate this way is? Does anyone even use the barometric altimeter after the first few weeks of playing with the features?

Don't base your decision whether to purchase a vista/legend HCX based on anything in this thread. This is not really a hardware/software issue.

The Vista/Legend HCx does NOT collect trackpoints when off. If you have track logging left on when you shut it off, the next time you turn it on it will place trackpoints where it thinks it is (which may not be where it really is) even before it has a satellite lock on. This will result in one or two wildly off points at the beginning of the track log. You can do one of two things to stop it. 1) Turn on track logging only when you want to log a track. 2) Edit the log to remove the one or two stray points at the beginning of the log (or just ignore them).

first off they are not working on the problem. because if their reply is about the sensor or drift they have no idea what you complained about. therefor they don't know what to try to fix.

2nd you shouldn't be laying tracks untill the unit has been on for over 5 mins to allow settling. otherwise the alitude recordings / graph will be way off. so you get to the start point. turn unit on. wait 5 mins. clear track log, start walking. then you won't have the extra points.

I wouldn't let the comments here affect your decision to purchase the Vista HCx, it's a great little GPS.

I originally started this thread to find out if anybody else was having the same problem that I'm having with "zinger tracks", not to debate how track collecting should work (but that's the fun of these forum threads... you never know where they might go). Learning that the altimeter puts down track points was new information to me so that's good to know.

I've also owned a GPSMap60Cx for over two years as well and it's a very good unit that never has these weird track legs at startup. I don't have to do any work-arounds it just puts down reliable tracks. I have never seriously used the altimeter or barometer on the Vista Hcx but the electronic compass is growing on me. All this track nonsense aside, I still prefer the Vista over the 60Cx because of it's size and very bright screen. If I really thought the track issue was a show stopper I'd just use the 60Cx but as everybody here points out there are many work-arounds. I personally think Garmin will fix it but if they don't, I can live with it.

Grasscatcher:

Thanks for the suggestions. Clearing the track log might be alright for some, but I rely on the active log for my backpacking/fishing trips. The track log will have to last up to two weeks since I won't be near a computer. For me the saved tracks are only used for "uploading" tracks that I've prepared prior to my trips with OziExplorer or Mapsource. I don't have enough track storage left to offload my active log (and it wrecks the tracks anyway). If Garmin ever reads and writes the tracks to the media card, then these issues will all disappear but until that day, we all have to figure out the best way to work with a limited number of track points. Turning track logging on and off would work but I'd be concerned that the one time I really needed my tracks would be the time I forgot to flip them back on.

You are correct about the elevation... I'm at sea level. Makes it really easy to calibrate the altimeter!

Edited by ergomaniac
Clearing the track log might be alright for some, but I rely on the active log for my backpacking/fishing trips. The track log will have to last up to two weeks since I won't be near a computer.

That's not a problem, either. You can save your track log for each day, then clear the log and start over. In fact, if you don't do this, the log will eventually max out and clear the oldest data as it stores the newer information. You can also take advantage of another feature. On the track log page, select setup. From that page, select "data card setup" and on that page put a check in the box for "log track to data card". With this approach, you will have an automatic backup for the track data.

The Vista/Legend HCx does NOT collect trackpoints when off. If you have track logging left on when you shut it off, the next time you turn it on it will place trackpoints where it thinks it is (which may not be where it really is) even before it has a satellite lock on. This will result in one or two wildly off points at the beginning of the track log. You can do one of two things to stop it. 1) Turn on track logging only when you want to log a track. 2) Edit the log to remove the one or two stray points at the beginning of the log (or just ignore them).

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK lets see if I got this...I have track logging on. I complete a track and shut the gps off (leaving logging on). I move a mile down the road with the gps off, then turn it on to start a new track. The gps will show a mile long excursion track from where I was when I shut it off to where it is now. (I did such activity last year marking atv trails with a SP2610 and don't remember it showing tracks I had to edit out).

Ergo,

You are using the "log track to the card" feature aren't you? And aware that the Garmin "x" models using that feature "Write" ALL the track info to the card ? That data is exactly the same as the "Active Log" . Unfortunately though, they don't READ from the card.

Will this work?.......Let's say you have several (up to 20?) "Pre-Trip" prepared tracks "saved".

Using a saved track, you travel "out". At the end of that track you "save" it to GPSr memory and delete/replace the "pre trip" track you were using. That replaces the probably "hand drawn" or guesstimated "pre trip" track with an "actual" GPS'd track that can be used for navigation, trackback etc.while you are out on your long trip. No more/less memory used but increased accuracy.

Do the "clear track log " trick at the start of the next "pre trip" track and repeat.

The saved tracks are NOT "wrecked"(your terminology) They are saved in a format and reduced size in a location where they can be READ by the GPSr and used by you.........and also.......VERY IMPORTANT.....you still have ALL of the data (exactly the same as the active log) retained in the GPX files on the memory card.....so you have the best of both worlds! That is the beauty of logging to the card.

You are aware, aren't you, that when you UPLOAD the pre trip tracks, that you are "wrecking" (again, your terminology)them also ? To prove it, just try to upload a track with 1000 TP. Depending on which software you are using, it may or may not give you a warning, but when it gets into your (most Garmin's) GPSr it will have no more than 500 TP.

In reality, the only place where the data that is "stripped" (when a track is saved ) is actually valuable and useable, is on your PC at home.

Edited by Grasscatcher
Clearing the track log might be alright for some, but I rely on the active log for my backpacking/fishing trips. The track log will have to last up to two weeks since I won't be near a computer.

That's not a problem, either. You can save your track log for each day, then clear the log and start over. In fact, if you don't do this, the log will eventually max out and clear the oldest data as it stores the newer information. You can also take advantage of another feature. On the track log page, select setup. From that page, select "data card setup" and on that page put a check in the box for "log track to data card". With this approach, you will have an automatic backup for the track data.

As I said previously, I have already used up my saved tracks with tracks that I pull out of OziExplorer and Mapsource. I digitize trail networks from available mapping before I go on my trip and store them as saved tracks. I always write tracks to the card but they are only useful after I come back from a trip.

Yes the active log overwrites itself but I can get about two weeks out of the active log on average.

Edited by ergomaniac

Grasscatcher:

You've pretty much described how I manage my tracks when out on a trip with a few small differences.

The tracks that I "upload" at the begining of a trip have all been edited with Mapsource editing and saved in what I call my track library. I divide the 1000+ point tracks from previous trips into 500 point tracks and name and color them appropriately (I color digitized tracks differently than the "walked" tracks), this is why I end up with quite a number of saved tracks. I also combine shorter tracks into larger groupings (aiming to get as close to 500 pts as possible) to try to utilize all of the available memory space in each saved track. The OziExplorer tracks tend to be really small because they are hand digitized point by point. I always prefix the OziExplorer saved tracks with "OZ" in the name so that I can delete them first if I need more saved track space when I'm out on a trip. Tracks that I download from the web can take up allot of the saved track space because I will only filter the tracks if I absolutely have to, mostly I just divide and save them. The post trip track editing I do is always done on the GPX files on the card, I never edit the tracks stored on the unit.

If I'm concerned about running out of track space I will delete the uploaded tracks once I walk an area but I generally don't run out the active log (10000 points takes me quite a good distance when walking).

I do use the track filtering available in Mapsource (under track properties) to control the loss of valuable track points. I find using the distance filter works the best for me when combined with the undo button I can keep "testing" the filter by changing the distance until I get a 500 point track to save.

To put a lot of your own trail maps (or water routes) on the receiver you should get to know cGpsMapper and/or one of the GUI front ends such as gpsMapEdit. Create your own transparent trail map to overlay on whatever maps you are already using.

For making your own trail maps, the small number of saved track areas is good for short trips. Use the map memory for more extensive trail maps.

To put a lot of your own trail maps (or water routes) on the receiver you should get to know cGpsMapper and/or one of the GUI front ends such as gpsMapEdit. Create your own transparent trail map to overlay on whatever maps you are already using.

For making your own trail maps, the small number of saved track areas is good for short trips. Use the map memory for more extensive trail maps.

I agree!

I haven't tried this yet but have been really impressed with some of the trail maps that others have prepared. I have used a couple of them that are in areas that I hike and one I used even allowed auto-routing on the trails! I've got to learn how to do that and all my track issues will disappear! From what I've read there is a bit of a large learning curve but I've bookmarked some of the detailed discussions on this forum and plan on trying that soon. Getting the trails onto the card is the real answer and will eliminate a ton of the track editing I do!