DEM with Topo 24k on Colorado?

superduty1

I have a 24k custom map loaded, and as long I have that and the Topo 2008 active, I see the DEM shading on the custom maps. It's hecka sweet.

I am talking about the Topo 24k CD sold by Garmin. AND I am assuming Topo 2008 is NOT active (ie on Colorado 300).

Why would you assume that? I can't say though, since I don't have any Garmin purchased maps. I only have what came with the 400t and a custom map. I'm just assuming that it would work the same.

I am talking about the Topo 24k CD sold by Garmin. AND I am assuming Topo 2008 is NOT active (ie on Colorado 300).

Does the Topo 24K from Garmin have DEM? Do you see it in MapSource?

As far as I know Topo 2008 is the only mapset with DEM so my best guess is no, there would be no DEM with a 300 + Topo 24K...

Can anyone with a Colorado AND Topo24k confirm any of this.

I thought I read at least one post that said DEM would work and I have read other stuff that said it doesnt show up.

Is your question: Colorado 300 and Topo24k and without Topo 2008? If so, I'd guess that combination wouldn't show the DEM shading.

--Marky

Yes, you get DEM even without TOPO US 2008. Colorado 300 has basemap with DEM.

I have just tried with only Topo National Parks 24K (I suppose that is the one you are talking about) and it works. I have TOPO US 2008 on the unit as well but it is all on the SD card so I pulled it out before trying to make sure it was not there (wasn't sure that turning it off would work).

This is different experience to what Marky says. With Topo US National Parks 24k you don't have to have Topo US 2008 on the unit, even less active, to get the DEM. It is possible that with TOPO US 2008 the DEM is higher quality though.

Edited by Tomas4x4
This is different experience to what Marky says.

Im my defense, I did say I was guessing. :D I forgot the basemap had a low resolution DEM on the 300.

I think the big point is that the 24k maps from Garmin do not have the high resolution DEM to match the higher resolution topography like Topo 2008. There's a big difference going from basemap DEM to Topo 2008 DEM. I would say it would not be worth it to have just the 24k maps loaded.

So it seems the bottom line is there is no DEM in Topo 24K, but DEM will show up, but it will be DEM based on either the basemaps installed or Topo 2008.

Tomas4x4 were you using Topo 24k V3, or an earlier version? (another post indicated that only v3 had the DEM data - agian not sure of the accuracy)?

The Colorado will show DEM if the maps have it. US National Parks 24k maps have DEM for the latest version v3, but not for the previous versions.

Could someone who has a 300, and v3 of the 24k maps, take a screen shot of the map detail? (To take a screen shot, press and hold the right softkey button for about a second or two and the jpg of the screen will be in a folder the next time you plug in your GPS to your computer).

Then, it would be interesting to see the same location and zoom level with a v2 or earlier 24k map just to see the difference in the DEM shading detail (that should be the only difference, right?)

--Marky

The Colorado will show DEM if the maps have it. US National Parks 24k maps have DEM for the latest version v3, but not for the previous versions.

Could someone who has a 300, and v3 of the 24k maps, take a screen shot of the map detail? (To take a screen shot, press and hold the right softkey button for about a second or two and the jpg of the screen will be in a folder the next time you plug in your GPS to your computer).

Then, it would be interesting to see the same location and zoom level with a v2 or earlier 24k map just to see the difference in the DEM shading detail (that should be the only difference, right?)

--Marky

I have both the older v2 and newer v3 of the Topo24K West, as well as Topo 2008.

The updated v3 of Topo24K has terrain shading within Mapsource. I'll confirm if this is visible on my Colorado 300, and post some screen capture caparisons hopefully this evening.

Tomas4x4 were you using Topo 24k V3, or an earlier version? (another post indicated that only v3 had the DEM data - agian not sure of the accuracy)?

I have Topo West 24k V3.

A bit ot here but....

Do the 24k park maps need an unlock key or can they be used on more than one unit like the regular TOPO maps?

A bit ot here but....

Do the 24k park maps need an unlock key or can they be used on more than one unit like the regular TOPO maps?

Here's a generic answer:

If the map was created in house (by Garmin) then their is no lock. Examples USA Topo or 24K NP Topos

If the map were created by Navtec or TeleAtlas, then a license fee is required for each unit and the maps are locked. Any of the road warrior maps fall into this bucket.

HTH